PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble removing the bearings from suspension linkage

Pierce
7th February 2010, 14:41
Tried pulling down my rear linkage last night to no avail. Parts have been removed from bike, rubber stops have been popped off but I cannot remove the bearings.

Thinking I may have to take em down to an engineer or even bike shop but are there any tricks i could try to remove the bearings?

one fast tl1ooo
7th February 2010, 15:01
Get a bigger hammer.:lol:

flyingcr250
7th February 2010, 15:19
i used a press at work when i had my old honda. another time i used a half-inch ratchet extention (which fit perfectly) and just hit the extention with a hammer with the linkage sitting on a vice.

i suppose you could try finding a socket which is just smaller than the hole in the linkage and try hitting that, warm the linkage up with a heat gun or put it in the oven also helps too

takitimu
7th February 2010, 15:22
From memory 1/2" socket that just fitted in & an extender, then a big hammer :), a decent tap on 4 corners. The steering head race, that one I had to get the bike shop to remove.

barty5
7th February 2010, 16:00
use a hack saw and gently cut through bearing shell this will allow it to let go and should be easyer to knock out

Danger
7th February 2010, 22:26
A swing arm bearing tool works and is handy for setting the new bearings with the correct clearances. If you have some threaded rod and a couple of nuts and an assortment of drifts that would do a good job too. Don't like to beat on things like this if its not necessary.

honda_power
8th February 2010, 07:08
big socket on one end, a socket the same size as bearing on the other, stick in a vice and slowly use the little socket to push the bearing into the big socket

or heat

Jay GTI
8th February 2010, 08:01
big socket on one end, a socket the same size as bearing on the other, stick in a vice and slowly use the little socket to push the bearing into the big socket

or heat

This is the method I've used to good effect.

theblacksmith
8th February 2010, 08:04
I ust changed my swingarm bearings last week - I had to use heat in the end and just blow them out.The thin bearing casing just melts out before everything else. But if you havent done this before be very careful not to damage the parts that the bearings are in. The other method which Barty suggested is good as well - just need a really good blade cos the bearing casings are quite hard.
The biggest job I had with mine was getting the long swingarm bolt free! I had to blow heat through the 5mm hole in the bolt for a while and let it cool naturally. Then the bolt started to move eventually. I was lucky to have a hole in the bolt as it would have been impossible to move it any other way. We had a massive sledge hammer and it was still stuck.

theblacksmith
8th February 2010, 08:04
I ust changed my swingarm bearings last week - I had to use heat in the end and just blow them out.The thin bearing casing just melts out before everything else. But if you havent done this before be very careful not to damage the parts that the bearings are in. The other method which Barty suggested is good as well - just need a really good blade cos the bearing casings are quite hard.
The biggest job I had with mine was getting the long swingarm bolt free! I had to blow heat through the 5mm hole in the bolt for a while and let it cool naturally. Then the bolt started to move eventually. I was lucky to have a hole in the bolt as it would have been impossible to move it any other way. We had a massive sledge hammer and it was still stuck.

theblacksmith
8th February 2010, 08:06
Double post wtf??

CookMySock
8th February 2010, 08:13
AFTER you have tried EVERYTHING else, pull, grind, or smash the inner race out and CAREFULLY run a SMALL weld around the inside face of the outer bearing race.

Be really careful not to do too much too quickly, or you will expand the bearing race too far and stretch the swingarm and fuck it. This is last resort stuff - often used to get clutch spigot bearings out of flywheels.

Steve