PDA

View Full Version : Help with FZR 250

ATYB
8th May 2005, 22:16
Hi,

I'm looking at FZR250 on trademe....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-26692118.htm

It has a few problem, i.e.

1. Worn sprockets
2. Hole in the exhaust
3. Rattling exhaust valve (I think), so he claims
4. Not as powerful as it should be.
5. Spongey brakes
6. Worn rear shock

The bike is

Make: Yamaha
Model: FZR
Engine size: 250cc
Kilometres: 60,000km
Year: 1989

How much do you think it is worth paying for? The asking price is NZD2600.

Lastly, how much would it cost to fix the above problem.

Desperate for a 250 for a ride! Still learner.

Ixion
8th May 2005, 22:27
Hi,

I'm looking at FZR250 on trademe....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-26692118.htm

It has a few problem, i.e.

1. Worn sprockets
2. Hole in the exhaust
3. Rattling exhaust valve (I think), so he claims
4. Not as powerful as it should be.
5. Spongey brakes
6. Worn rear shock

The bike is

Make: Yamaha
Model: FZR
Engine size: 250cc
Kilometres: 60,000km
Year: 1989

How much do you think it is worth paying for? The asking price is NZD2600.

Lastly, how much would it cost to fix the above problem.

Desperate for a 250 for a ride! Still learner.

Sounds like it's seen happier days. I've no idea what a "rattling exhaust valve" is, and I suspect the seller doesn't either. But a rattly motor down on power spells big $$ coming up soon.

For less than $3000 you can buy a brand new GN250. Which is (IMHO) a better bike to learn to ride on anyway

justsomeguy
8th May 2005, 22:39
I'd say screw it.

Cheap bikes usually end up costing more than you think....

That's what I found with my $1700 *cough* $3000 ZZR...... which thanks to my crash is now a $4500 ZZR.......

So either get a decent bike from the shop or look around for something else.... that is a bit dearer and needs less work.

.............. unless you're a mechanical whiz of course.

campbellluke
8th May 2005, 23:06
GN250s are only $3000 for a good reason.

Gremlin
9th May 2005, 00:56
I'd say screw it.

Cheap bikes usually end up costing more than you think....

That's what I found with my $1700 *cough* $3000 ZZR...... which thanks to my crash is now a $4500 ZZR.......

So either get a decent bike from the shop or look around for something else.... that is a bit dearer and needs less work.

.............. unless you're a mechanical whiz of course.
*developing a nervous twitch*

Don't you dare say that. My $1500 ZZR will get into second gear. Mark my words. It'll take a couple of weeks and a service (and I suppose $$$) but it will. :laugh:

Seriously though, if the internals and the engine etc. is not good condition, then I wouldn't say it was worth it. Cosmetics always stand a chance of getting damaged. That's the risk of fairings. But the engine etc is not quite as easy/cheap to replace/re-plastic-weld

wildcat_lgf
9th May 2005, 11:32
At the risk of sounding completley ignorant...aren't the FZR's 2-stroke? Either way I'd recommend staying with a 4-stroke fi you don't want to spend all your time in maintanence.

There are a number of good 250's for sale at present, ZXR's and CBR's. Alhambra (sp?) has a CBR, ZXR's on the online trading section or Trademe. Depends on your budget?

Of course mine could be for sale :D :D :D for a realistic price.

Ixion
9th May 2005, 11:39
At the risk of sounding completley ignorant...aren't the FZR's 2-stroke? Either way I'd recommend staying with a 4-stroke fi you don't want to spend all your time in maintanence.

There are a number of good 250's for sale at present, ZXR's and CBR's. Alhambra (sp?) has a CBR, ZXR's on the online trading section or Trademe. Depends on your budget?

Of course mine could be for sale :D :D :D for a realistic price.
Nay , tis a 4 cyclinder 4 stroke I think. The FZR250R is anyway, I'm not sure which model the Zeal is .Normally considered quite a tough engine so if it's clapped it's probably pretty bad. And expensive I suppose.

Jonty
9th May 2005, 11:46
If I were you I would stay away. There are a lot of cheap 250's popping up on trademe. There seem to be a few ZXR 250's selling for around the 2500 - 3000 mark with no apparent problems, and they are a hell of a lot quicker than the FZR.

riffer
9th May 2005, 13:27
If I were you I'd search for a few of Magua's posts to discover what kind of can of worms you are opening here.

FZR's are great, until you have to fix them.

The EXUP valve (Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve) can be a real worry.

Offer him $1000. Then expect to spend up to double that.

riffer
9th May 2005, 13:43
This marbles rattling in a can sound worries me.

Is he sure it's not running lean? Pre-ignition (detonation) can sound like that too... until you blow a hole in the piston(s).

RPM91
9th May 2005, 13:58
narhh that bike looks abit shifftu bro, 60,000 ks and a ratly motor :no: , just keep searching round because for $2000 im sure you could buy a good used bike in the future

gamgee
9th May 2005, 14:18
any of these would be perfect for you (close to you as well)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-26847692.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-26416812.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-27010099.htm
this would be perfect if you can push it out to 2500
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-26802588.htm

Blakamin
9th May 2005, 15:17
Stay away!!!! FZR FZX(zeal) use the same engine... so I'm with Ixion, its it's stuffed it is real stuffed... and they aren't that easy to find S/H engines for...

hobdar
24th May 2005, 19:39
The FZR is a great bike if you can get one with a good engine, i just brought a gn250 to get back into riding and its a good buy, no real problems yet but i have only done 1500 kms in a couple of months (700 odd were getting it back from Tauranga) and it is all good... 2000 old bike which you might need to spend another grand + on or 3000 for brand new bike with warranty, and new wof and rego for a year?

simple maths really....i had a couple of grand to spend and the new bike ended up being the better option.

stunz
23rd August 2005, 09:58
If you want a learner bike, get something that isn't in need of major repairs before you even get on it. It will just ruin your whole riding experience.

I'm asking $2500 for my fizzer, and its only done 40k, still goes like the clappers, well maintained, no exhaust problems, brakes bled every 6 months, used every day, dropped only twice. Once onto a car, once onto a human, so has scratches and tape...
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/trader.php?do=showad&adid=311050&postid=311050&sellbuy=sell

Nice zippy bike suitable for a smaller rider, which is the only reason I'm getting rid of it. I need something bigger for my larger frame... otherwise, I'd keep it. (I spose I could go on a diet :no: ) I'll eventually put it up on TM, and ask about $3500 but I'm going to wait until the sun is well and truly out before going there.