PDA

View Full Version : Confusing head/tail light issues... Help!

Sgt Jackass
8th February 2010, 11:55
Hi Guys

Long time lurker, first time poster...

On the North Auckland Street Skills ride the other night my headlights, tail lights and dash lights were not working. If I thumbed the 'pass' button I would get hi beam. I checked the fuses and bulbs on the side of the road to no avail.
Since parking it up at home Ive realised that the tail light will not go out and have disconnected the battery. I stripped the plastics and searched for a relay or short to no avail. I dont really know a hell of a lot about electrics.
Can anyone offer some advise? im sure its a cheap easy fix but Im abit lost, and abit poor.

Bike is a 1988 Yamaha FZ750

Cheers

NinjaNanna
8th February 2010, 20:00
You haven't accidentally turned the parking lights on have you? On many bikes if you turn the key fully anti-clockwise (past locked) that turns on the parking lights.

That could account for the tail light but not the headlight problem

MSTRS
9th February 2010, 08:01
You will probably have a problem in the lightswitch block. This is where the power to the head, tail and dash lights comes through. The 'pass' button uses a different circuit.

crazyhorse
9th February 2010, 08:22
I've heard of older bikes having park lights too. Quite funny really. You would think they would drain the battery alot quicker :yes:

Sgt Jackass
9th February 2010, 13:28
Il have a look at the switch... this wouldnt describe why the tail light stayed on. My keys were not in the ignition and steering lock was on

MSTRS
9th February 2010, 13:35
Il have a look at the switch... this wouldnt describe why the tail light stayed on. My keys were not in the ignition and steering lock was on

Steering lock on a bike is often a 2 position thing. One is locked...next click round is locked AND parklight on. Which may or may not include the tail light...

Sgt Jackass
10th February 2010, 07:10
Oops! you were right... the ignition was one click to far. I pulled the switch and its working fine but lights still not working.
Il have to bring it to the shop :(

Cheers Anyway

FROSTY
11th February 2010, 15:40
has the headlight solenoid gone pop? have you checked all the plugs are plugged in behind the dash?

Sgt Jackass
12th February 2010, 11:53
Cheers for all your help.

A chap fom motorcycle doctors came over and had fixed the light issue and an anoying idle issue in about 10 minutes. top quality business

Bad earth

TA

NinjaNanna
16th February 2010, 18:49
ah ... George - top bloke