PDA

View Full Version : Slip sliding away... (a warning)

Donor
8th February 2010, 18:52
Traveling along in my work vehicle today, following a gentleman on a GN250 along Porchester Rd in Takanini, approaching the roundabout at Airfield Rd.

Now, this guy was riding straight and doing a safe speed the whole way, and slowed to a respectable 20km/h at the roundabout.

He hadn't turned the bars, and was not even beginning to lean when without any warning (not even a wobble) the front just went out and the poor bugger low sided.

I lit the work vehicle up, pulled over and jumped out, as did the hulking great Maori fella who was in front. The HGMF leaned down and picked the bike up off the rider with one hand and set it right, and I had a quick squizz at the rider. He got off very light and lucky, slight scuff to the side of his visor (he managed to keep his head from bouncing) and a few water marks to his dress trousers.

Once he had got his wits about him again, I had a look at the standard Auckland black ice that passes for a road. No apparent contaminants to blame, but after 20 minutes of rain, all the liquid evil in the road had seeped through just enough to scratch up a hard working Ginny a bit more than it already was.

So, be bloody careful folks - especially now we're getting some showery weather again.

It's been said a thousand times by a thousand different folks this summer but bugger it, this clenched my freckle, and by the gods I'll take two minutes to say it again.

Methinks said gentleman may be riding to work ATGATT tomorrow...

Dean
8th February 2010, 18:59
Id like to say to kb, be assured that I am a Great Big Muscly Maori fella too so I will be at your assistance if I witness a crash. ;)

MotoKuzzi
8th February 2010, 19:00
Riding home between Papakura and Bombay this afternoon I hit torrential rain, boxed in by cars and couldn't see the seal for the amount of water sitting on it. Very stressful, can't do much but try and stay upright and go with the traffic.:sweatdrop

CHAPLIN
8th February 2010, 19:12
I wonder, if our acc goes private, can we sue the government if we have an accident and crap roads are to blame

fliplid
8th February 2010, 20:00
Id like to say to kb, be assured that I am a Great Big Muscly Maori fella too so I will be at your assistance if I witness a crash. ;)

Do you need to PM'd? LOL! :whistle:;)

PrincessBandit
8th February 2010, 21:02
Riding home between Papakura and Bombay this afternoon I hit torrential rain, boxed in by cars and couldn't see the seal for the amount of water sitting on it. Very stressful, can't do much but try and stay upright and go with the traffic.:sweatdrop

It sure was pouring down wasn't it. I got caught in it riding home from Pukekohe about 2.15 - even through my leathers the rain felt like needles!
Thankfully my vision was pretty clear so I didn't have too much of the :sweatdrop going on - more like the slow annoying trickle down each forearm as the water discovered the slight opening in my sleeve vents.....

golfmade
9th February 2010, 03:25
Always hate when it pours like that here in Taiwan. Lots of roads have potholes that just get even bigger with rain. That said, I've had some adventurous times driving to work while a typhoon was going on.

MotoKuzzi
12th February 2010, 15:19
When I start thinking work is stressing me, i just think back to those few minutes on the motor way and it puts it all in perspective.:calm:

CRF119
12th February 2010, 15:44
Yes the road is at its most slippery after alot of hot weather then some rain but i think to blame is the people/shops selling tyres to riders that have no idea what they are buying and they just buy the cheepest ones which have less traction the the rim its self. This happens with cars to.

Thats my thoughts on why there are alot of bike and car crashes that shouldnt happen.

SMOKEU
12th February 2010, 20:11

Cheers bro

ttmadness
7th February 2011, 17:47
Traveling along in my work vehicle today, following a gentleman on a GN250 along Porchester Rd in Takanini, approaching the roundabout at Airfield Rd.

Now, this guy was riding straight and doing a safe speed the whole way, and slowed to a respectable 20km/h at the roundabout.

He hadn't turned the bars, and was not even beginning to lean when without any warning (not even a wobble) the front just went out and the poor bugger low sided.

I lit the work vehicle up, pulled over and jumped out, as did the hulking great Maori fella who was in front. The HGMF leaned down and picked the bike up off the rider with one hand and set it right, and I had a quick squizz at the rider. He got off very light and lucky, slight scuff to the side of his visor (he managed to keep his head from bouncing) and a few water marks to his dress trousers.

Once he had got his wits about him again, I had a look at the standard Auckland black ice that passes for a road. No apparent contaminants to blame, but after 20 minutes of rain, all the liquid evil in the road had seeped through just enough to scratch up a hard working Ginny a bit more than it already was.

So, be bloody careful folks - especially now we're getting some showery weather again.

It's been said a thousand times by a thousand different folks this summer but bugger it, this clenched my freckle, and by the gods I'll take two minutes to say it again.

Methinks said gentleman may be riding to work ATGATT tomorrow...

No, it's not so much the roads at all... it's the shitty tyres on his bike. That period when it just starts raining is a little more slippery but it's not that deadly. I've ridden a GN250 and let me tell you, even in the dry the front tyre locks so fucking easily it's not funny. No wonder they have a shit as front brake... I could bare to think of how many locked front wheels there'd be if the brakes were any better with n00bs grabbing a bit too much suddenly. :gob::gob::gob::gob::gob:

It's a well known fact that Gn250 stock tyres, especially that front... are nothing more than rolling plastic even in the dry.

And as for the wet? That compound becomes so much worse I don't want to even start...

As for a contrast, in the rain with Pilot powers or BT090's I can still get my rear wheel in the air on the brakes. :sunny:

No really, they are so bad that I think when purchasing a ginny, before investing in $$$ of gear, newbies should invest in a set of Michelin M40's which are inexpensive but safe rubber... even good for bucket racing.

Gubb
7th February 2011, 18:13
Seriously.

A year goes past, and that's all you can contribute towards the topic?

DRRRREEEEEEEDGE

Fatt Max
7th February 2011, 18:28
Always hate when it pours like that here in Taiwan.

I'm in Botany, thats just like Taiwan, even when it rains

PrincessBandit
7th February 2011, 19:00
Hahahaha, I was just reading this thread and said to my husband "hey, it was pouring down between Papakura and Bombay today! I didn't see any rain"; then a couple of posts down I see my avatar and think "what the..." Wasn't till I looked at the date of the posts and couldn't believe they were from a whole year ago.

Having said that, ginny tyres do tend to be on the dodgy side and the front one can slide out quite easily as hubby found out when rounding a roundabout by the airport.

baptist
7th February 2011, 22:05
Hahahaha, I was just reading this thread and said to my husband "hey, it was pouring down between Papakura and Bombay today! I didn't see any rain"; .

Got me too, I was sweating buckets today, helmet and jacket needed a good airing and then I read this about rain!!!!!:facepalm:

george formby
8th February 2011, 10:18
No, it's not so much the roads at all...b I've ridden a GN250 and let me tell you, even in the dry the front tyre locks so fucking easily it's not funny. No wonder they have a shit as front brake... I could bare to think of how many locked front wheels there'd be if the brakes were any better with n00bs grabbing a bit too much suddenly. :gob::gob::gob::gob::gob:

It's a well known fact that Gn250 stock tyres, especially that front... are nothing more than rolling plastic even in the dry.

And as for the wet? That compound becomes so much worse I don't want to even start...

As for a contrast, in the rain with Pilot powers or BT090's I can still get my rear wheel in the air on the brakes. :sunny:

No really, they are so bad that I think when purchasing a ginny, before investing in $$$ of gear, newbies should invest in a set of Michelin M40's which are inexpensive but safe rubber... even good for bucket racing.

Tosh!

When i lived in Auckland the roundabout at the end of my street turned into an ice rink after a lot of hot days then a short shower. I saw a pedestrian step onto the road & slip over, a car travelling sideways take out a sign & of all things a duck from the park step onto the road & land on it's beak. One of the entries to the roundabout was down hill & I saw more than a couple of bikes & scooters come to grief when they hit the brakes.

Dodgy dodgy dodgy.

You don't stand a chance when the water sits on the oil & rubber which coats these wee round abouts.

racefactory
8th February 2011, 12:23
Going to have to call BS on that one my friend... pics or it didn't happen.

george formby
8th February 2011, 12:44
Going to have to call BS on that one my friend... pics or it didn't happen.

Moi?

I shit ye not. Admittedly it was extreme & only happened after long dry spells then a shower. Regardless of your opinion be VERY cautious in those conditions.
I hope that round about was resurfaced at some point.
If I remember correctly it was in Parnell, top of the rise from the city, turn left & it was at the bottom of the hill. Somewhere round their anyway. I lived their 15 years ago so it might be a motorway now.

This was pre Mark Suckerberg by a long way & mobile phones were used for telephone calls.

gammaguy
8th February 2011, 12:51
Always hate when it pours like that here in Taiwan. Lots of roads have potholes that just get even bigger with rain. That said, I've had some adventurous times driving to work while a typhoon was going on.

when it rains here it is usually a torrential downpour,but the roads are mainly free of oil and slippery stuff like that because:

1)they get a regular washing

2)the vehicles are all in good condition and dont drop oil

cheesemethod
9th February 2011, 16:31
I had exactly the same thing happen on my GN250, roundabout, rain, 20kph, lowside. That was on the standard tires. I think putting proper tires on a GN250 should be compulsory, it completely changes the way the bike feels and gives you miles more grip.

racefactory
10th February 2011, 11:58
I had exactly the same thing happen on my GN250, roundabout, rain, 20kph, lowside. That was on the standard tires. I think putting proper tires on a GN250 should be compulsory, it completely changes the way the bike feels and gives you miles more grip.

Yes, really it must be terrible... people with a shiny new ginny all proud and happy to ride, only to become scared to brake and turn because they drop it from awful front tyre grip. Fucking terrible of Suzuki to let those machines out there like that.

GN owners need to spend 60 bucks on a Michelin M60 front tyre straight away. Save buying those cordura pants for the time being, just get that tyre on there.

PrincessBandit
10th February 2011, 20:19
GN owners need to spend 60 bucks on a Michelin M60 front tyre straight away. Save buying those cordura pants for the time being, just get that tyre on there.

We did. Straight after that incident we replaced both tyres, getting rid of the factory ones for decent ones, and noticed the difference immediately.