PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury: 2010 BEARS Sound of Thunder

TonyB
8th February 2010, 19:15
Yep its just about that time of year again! My favourite event of the year bar none. Heaven for BEARS racers

Where: POWERBUILT Raceway at Ruapuna Park, 107 Hasketts Rd, Christchurch

When:
-Friday 26th February- free practice.
-Saturday 27th February- practice/racing.
-Sunday 28th February- racing

Entry forms and further details available from the BEARS website (http://www.bearsracing.co.nz/public/default.php?page=1)

I have a feeling certain 'dark horse' 675 rider might just take home the silverware this year in F1....

Kickaha
8th February 2010, 20:01
I have a feeling certain 'dark horse' 675 rider might just take home the silverware this year in F1....

Yeah could do, Go Daniel :bleh:

helenoftroy
8th February 2010, 20:08
Really looking fotward to this too!!:woohoo:

flame
9th February 2010, 11:24
Really looking fotward to this too!!:woohoo:

Same.....had an absoulute blast there last year :). Hope to make this one!

TonyB
10th February 2010, 20:57
Yeah could do, Go Daniel :bleh: from what I hear Dans got some serious competition

helenoftroy
10th February 2010, 21:19
from what I hear Dans got some serious competition

Yeah!heard that too.....

Bring it on guys!!:woohoo:

JayRacer37
14th February 2010, 19:55
Well, who is it then?

Kickaha
14th February 2010, 20:05
Well, who is it then?

Someone stepping down from the Premier class (Buckets) for the weekend

JayRacer37
15th February 2010, 07:22
Someone stepping down from the Premier class (Buckets) for the weekend

Yeah baby. He has been cranking on that thing!

TonyB
15th February 2010, 15:31
Yeah baby. He has been cranking on that thing!

Must be the new paint job I reckon

JayRacer37
15th February 2010, 16:18
Must be the new paint job I reckon

Could be the pie eating training plan I have him on

TonyB
16th February 2010, 18:19
Same.....had an absoulute blast there last year :). Hope to make this one! Hope to make?? Come on, ya can't win B-Bracket one year and not show up the next;)

Rob Taylor
18th February 2010, 17:33
Naturally my money is on Paul Dobbs on our 999 & Vicki Striefler on our 749r :woohoo:

Kickaha
18th February 2010, 19:35
Naturally my money is on Paul Dobbs on our 999 & Sam Smith on our 749r :woohoo:

Mines on a couple of locals on 675 Triumphs

helenoftroy
18th February 2010, 19:54
Mines on a couple of locals on 675 Triumphs

Too right!!:woohoo:

flame
20th February 2010, 21:39
Hope to make?? Come on, ya can't win B-Bracket one year and not show up the next;)

Yep..... Im coming back :)

TonyB
21st February 2010, 07:56
Yep..... Im coming back :)
Good stuff. Wotcha riding?

cynna
21st February 2010, 23:30
caught one of the riders coming off at last years meet on video. was going to send him the footage but lost his contact details so if anyone know who #944 is telll him here it is

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LlTqsmzvO5I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LlTqsmzvO5I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rob Taylor
22nd February 2010, 06:45
Paul Dobbs & Vicki Striefler will be piloting our Ducati's at the SOT this year.See you guys done there on Friday...Yeehaa

TonyB
22nd February 2010, 09:01
caught one of the riders coming off at last years meet on video. was going to send him the footage but lost his contact details so if anyone know who #944 is telll him here it is HA! I was watching that last night. Poor bugger.

You didn't get any footage of #159 going off at Pothole did you?

cynna
22nd February 2010, 10:08
HA! I was watching that last night. Poor bugger.

You didn't get any footage of #159 going off at Pothole did you?

not that i recall will have a quick look thru. what day and what type of bike (..... and where abouts is pothole)

got footage of 2 bikes on the ground one is #31 that happened just after i filmed the other one a bit further round the track. also 198 and 2 going off the track before the main straight (think that was on the sunday). and some real shakey footage of 38(or maybe 36) picking up his bike - that could be pothole as it has a large pothole people sign

TonyB
22nd February 2010, 11:04
not that i recall will have a quick look thru. what day and what type of bike (..... and where abouts is pothole)

got footage of 2 bikes on the ground one is #31 that happened just after i filmed the other one a bit further round the track. also 198 and 2 going off the track before the main straight (think that was on the sunday). and some real shakey footage of 38(or maybe 36) picking up his bike - that could be pothole as it has a large pothole people sign

It was one of the first races on the Saturday. Bike is a Ducati Monster red tank/ black seat and number boards. I was wearing black leather. Pothole is the one before the hairpin- you are correct it has the big Pothole People sign behind it.

cynna
22nd February 2010, 15:37
It was one of the first races on the Saturday. Bike is a Ducati Monster red tank/ black seat and number boards. I was wearing black leather. Pothole is the one before the hairpin- you are correct it has the big Pothole People sign behind it.

hope you managed to race again later that day and on the sunday. looks like i might have you after you have came off not sure if it is you not the best camera work ...... a bike went down just before #38 (or 36). will upload it soon

cynna
22nd February 2010, 16:07
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0jsYBT-KruU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0jsYBT-KruU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TonyB
22nd February 2010, 17:06
hope you managed to race again later that day and on the sunday. looks like i might have you after you have came off not sure if it is you not the best camera work ...... a bike went down just before #38 (or 36). will upload it soon
:laugh: The guy in black leathers who walks across the grass to the bike and bends over before the shot cuts away is me. Pity you missed the crash! That crash ended my weekend and made a pretty good mess out of my left shoulder.
This is a veiw of my crash looking back from the swingarm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvF3OlEQYzU

flame
22nd February 2010, 19:10
Hi Cynna,

you didn't by any chance get any video footage of the 'B' bracket races last year?

Or know anyone else who possibly may have?

Cheers :)

TonyB
23rd February 2010, 19:54
Yeah baby. He has been cranking on that thing! I hear he's been doing 1:35's on worn out tyres...

Naturally my money is on Paul Dobbs on our 999 & Vicki Striefler on our 749r :woohoo:
What happened to Sam Smith? You had him down earlier then changed it- nothing bad I hope!

Rob Taylor
23rd February 2010, 20:10
What happened to Sam Smith? You had him down earlier then changed it- nothing bad I hope![/QUOTE]

Dont know what happened to Sam.Didnt bother to contact me about it,Must have got a better offer,,,maybe he is doing the Nats , which are on the same weekend....Now that was good planing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Anyway Vicki is far nicer to look at than Sam ,dont ya reckon????

TonyB
23rd February 2010, 21:18
What happened to Sam Smith? You had him down earlier then changed it- nothing bad I hope!

Dont know what happened to Sam.Didnt bother to contact me about it,Must have got a better offer,,,maybe he is doing the Nats , which are on the same weekend....Now that was good planing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Anyway Vicki is far nicer to look at than Sam ,dont ya reckon????[/QUOTE]

:yes: Ah well, the SOT is always the last weekend in Feb (or has been as long as I can remember...which isn't long), so lets blame the Nats

Bren_chch
23rd February 2010, 21:30
I hear he's been doing 1:35's on worn out tyres...

Sounds like he needs some tyres... Jay must have LOADS of good tyres to spare! :yes:

I HEARD Jay has more TYRES than pies!

I also heard said triumph guy is actually Dan Ornsby riding another bike.

JayRacer37
23rd February 2010, 21:33
Sounds like he needs some tyres... Jay must have LOADS of good tyres to spare! :yes:

Yeah, only $250 a set!

Kickaha
23rd February 2010, 21:34

I HEARD Jay has more TYRES than pies!

And being off Jays bike they'd be just about new, not as though he rides hard enough to wear them out

Looking at his figure I think it's more pies than tyres

Bren_chch
23rd February 2010, 21:36
you need to update your website! as a fan i demand satisfaction!

"2010 - Stay tuned for details of Jay’s 2010 bikes!" i been tuned for 2 months

Kickaha
23rd February 2010, 21:37

That's longer than his bikes been tuned for

cynna
24th February 2010, 08:30
Hi Cynna,

you didn't by any chance get any video footage of the 'B' bracket races last year?

Or know anyone else who possibly may have?

Cheers :)

umm not too sure about that. will have to have a look thru - were u on the #99 bike then?

are you doing the B bracket again? i wll get my 8 year old to film you if you want - that will keep her occupied for a while

flame
24th February 2010, 13:04
umm not too sure about that. will have to have a look thru - were u on the #99 bike then?

are you doing the B bracket again? i wll get my 8 year old to film you if you want - that will keep her occupied for a while

Thanks, that would be great, I was on the Black Ducati yes, but using number 98.

Yep same bike this weekend. Not sure if B or A bracket this time. Much appreciated any footage.
Cheers
V.

Str8 Jacket
24th February 2010, 14:01
Thanks, that would be great, I was on the Black Ducati yes, but using number 98.

Yep same bike this weekend. Not sure if B or A bracket this time. Much appreciated any footage.
Cheers
V.

So stoked that you're getting out there again! Have fun chickie! We'll have to catch up next week and tell each other all about our weekends! :D

JayRacer37
25th February 2010, 19:21
you need to update your website! as a fan i demand satisfaction!

You know what I'm riding knob :p

That's longer than his bikes been tuned for

Tuned? Whats that? Is that what happens when you ride for 2 months without ANY mechainical work being done?

Hit Rache up about the website, thats her 'department'!

MMM, pies....So you want some tyres?

TonyB
26th February 2010, 20:43
That was an 'interesting' day.
My bike started leaking oil- turns out that it had cracked the cases ages ago, and of course it had to pick the sound of thunder to show up. MUCH stress and running around, but thanks to the hard work and talent of Darryl Cotton from Advanced Auto Homes Ltd I'm back in business for tomorrow. Darryl basicaly dropped everything to help me out, so words can not adequately describe how grateful I am. My day was still a lot better than some others though...

There's an amazing array of bikes out there- at least two RSV4's, numerous 1098's, a massively expensive NCR 2 Valve Ducati, a Norton Rotary, etc etc. Make sure you come out and have a look!

Bren_chch
26th February 2010, 22:12
glad u sorted for the weekend. there is a nice rc8 there also!

TonyB
28th February 2010, 18:46
What an awesome weekend!!:Punk::Punk::Punk:
Thanks to Rob Taylor and the crew from KTL for helping me out over the weekend.

Might do a write up, we'll see.

Rob Taylor
1st March 2010, 12:36
Hey there TonyB,Not a problem ,is was a pleasure to meet you.You mainlanders do know how to make us feel welcome.Again what a great meeting.A big thanks to the Bears club for organising this excellant event.We were lucky to have Dion Sellers on our team ,riding his RSV4....For somebody who has never road raced before,he took out the F1 event & Paul Dobbs is one hell rider that we are very lucky to have on board, & to the lovely Vicki Striefler,thanks for being you.....Roll on next year....:yes:

Bren_chch
1st March 2010, 22:21
MEH! what happened to that triumph guy! :scooter:

TonyB
2nd March 2010, 09:23
Divine intervention I think.

Nonbeliever
2nd March 2010, 12:44
sot was on the same weekend as the nationals?? silly

anyway, where can results be read?

cheers

Kickaha
2nd March 2010, 12:48

cheers

SOT has always been on the same weekend in February for as long as I can remember, it's not BEARs who need to reschedule

MEH! what happened to that triumph guy! :scooter:

The one who finished or the one who fell on his arse?:dodge:

TonyB
2nd March 2010, 15:41

cheersAS Kick said, SOT has always beent the last weekend in Feb- very handy for moi because it falls on or near my birthday (instant guaranteed spousal approval).

Results can be found on MyLaps (http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=507270), but not all results are there at the moment.

fuknKIWI
20th March 2010, 18:04
Interesting reading I haven't been to the SoT or Ruapuna for over 20 years.
The Norton Rotary mentioned wouldn't be the old ex police bike would it?
I remember it blowing my old Bonnie away down the main straight.
Pothole being the turn before the hairpin to my memeory that makes it the turn at the other end of the main straight, a corner formerly known as Rothmans. I know Ruapuna has changed as I've seen it whilst on short finals landing approach at Harewood airport.
One particular memory I have of the SoT is being blown away by John Britten on his old cast iron Triumph 500, I thought how can any body ride that fast? A few laps later I saw him sitting on his laid down bike watching the rest of the race. So I was pleased to know that you can't ride that fast for a whole race. RIP John.

cynna
17th April 2010, 10:42
a bit late but here is some of the action i caught on tape

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qpjKi9DxmD8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qpjKi9DxmD8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1FTTgnpwe_Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1FTTgnpwe_Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MNOJHIsEX5g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MNOJHIsEX5g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

scorry
23rd June 2010, 20:09
2nd vid 1 min 22, hell yeah!!

what a move, go me :-)

you got any more with me in it??
white tee shirt makes me easy to spot