PDA

View Full Version : Roadracing in NZ

Linmag
7th November 2003, 11:19
Hi!

I am a Swedish roadracer who will be in NZ on vacation four weeks. From what I understand there is a roadracing event near Auckland in 6-7 th dec. Is this correct??

I would love to see an roadrace in NZ! Do they run the 250GP class?

Please confirm if the date is correct!

Regards,
Magnus

wari
7th November 2003, 12:33
Yep 5th - 7th of Dec at Pukekohe Raceway .... South Auckland

Check out www.motorcyclesport.co.nz - visitors bits - event calendar

if you're going to be here on the 26th of Dec theres always the Wanganui Cemetary Circuit too ...

Not related to Magnus MerMagnuson the world famous strongman are ya? :)

Linmag
7th November 2003, 20:28
Originally posted by wari
Yep 5th - 7th of Dec at Pukekohe Raceway .... South Auckland

Check out www.motorcyclesport.co.nz - visitors bits - event calendar

if you're going to be here on the 26th of Dec theres always the Wanganui Cemetary Circuit too ...

Not related to Magnus MerMagnuson the world famous strongman are ya? :)

Thanks wari!

I'll be there! :)

I'm leaving NZ the 8th of dec. from Auckland so the event 5th - 7th of dec. is PERFECT! From what I can see, the 250GP class is run at that event. Cool!

Are there anything else, motorcycle related, anyone can recomend in NZ?

No, I'm not related to Magnus MerMagnusson and not Magnus Samuelsson (annother strongman) either... but I am almost as strong :) or not!

Regards,
Magnus

bluninja
7th November 2003, 20:36
Linmag, there's also a round of the Auckland championships on 16th November at Pukekohe.

TTFN

Kickaha
7th November 2003, 20:37
Where else are you going? and when do yo get here?

Ruapuna Christchurch 29 November Club Day

Ruapuna Christchurch 30 November Bear winter series

http://www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz/ all the dates at this page

Linmag
7th November 2003, 20:57
I am landing in Christchurch the 12th of november, and leaving from Auckland the 8th of december. In between I will be travelling by rental car in both the south and north of NZ. Since I am the only one of my travel company that is interested in roadracing, I think I will go with the race at Pukekohe Raceway.

But I wonder if there is something else I "must" do? Perhaps look at a Britten?! Anything else?
Are there any cool off-road trips?

Thanks for the replies,
Magnus

Kickaha
7th November 2003, 21:25
How long are you in Christchurch, I may be able to organise a bike or Kart for you to try the local track, cost $50nz for 1/2 day track hire

Let me know if you are interested and I'll see if I can.

What other stuff do you like?

Linmag
7th November 2003, 22:04
Originally posted by Kickaha
How long are you in Christchurch, I may be able to organise a bike or Kart for you to try the local track, cost $50nz for 1/2 day track hire

Let me know if you are interested and I'll see if I can.

What other stuff do you like?

What kind of bikes or kart are you taking about. How big track? Like go-kart track or minmoto? Or a "real" track? Could be fun!

Well, I like most stuff! I guess that it will be a lot of hiking and checking out all the cool things that NZ stands for (at least here in Sweden) bungeejumps, etc...

Regards,
Magnus

Kickaha
8th November 2003, 21:23
I should have kept my mouth shut because that idea just turned to custard,the bike (RS125) got broken at a club day today, and when I went to see the guy about the kart (TZR250 powered) I found he is in the UK for two weeks.

The track would have been a 3.4km circuit and easily the best facility in the country,only 5 minutes from the airport to.

http://www.motorsport.org.nz/Tracks/ruapuna.htm

I could try to organise a go on a F1 sidecar instead if I can get one of the guys interested in going out.

Bungee jumping is a bout 1/12 hours away at Hanmer which also has hot pools,mountainbiking,horseriding,jet boats,hiking all sortsa stuff

wkid_one
8th November 2003, 21:33
If I remember correctly and correct me if I am wrong (and I have no doubt people will), Ruapuna is the only track in NZ where a motorbike holds the fastest lap time

Linmag
8th November 2003, 21:47
Originally posted by Kickaha
I should have kept my mouth shut because that idea just turned to custard,the bike (RS125) got broken at a club day today, and when I went to see the guy about the kart (TZR250 powered) I found he is in the UK for two weeks.

The track would have been a 3.4km circuit and easily the best facility in the country,only 5 minutes from the airport to.

http://www.motorsport.org.nz/Tracks/ruapuna.htm

I could try to organise a go on a F1 sidecar instead if I can get one of the guys interested in going out.

Bungee jumping is a bout 1/12 hours away at Hanmer which also has hot pools,mountainbiking,horseriding,jet boats,hiking all sortsa stuff

To bad, it would have been a blast to get the chance to test a track in NZ! Prefereable on a motorcycle, I am not into cars really. But I guess a TZR250 powered cart can never be boring. In Sweden we call those "SuperCarts". The track looks really good! Thanks anyway!

I'll check out Hanmer, sounds good.

Thanks,
Magnus

Kickaha
8th November 2003, 22:28
Originally posted by wkid_one
If I remember correctly and correct me if I am wrong (and I have no doubt people will), Ruapuna is the only track in NZ where a motorbike holds the fastest lap time

Hard to say as the circuit the bikes run is different from the one the cars normally use,at the Divesafe last year the bikes were a few hundredths of a second slower than the Transam cars on the same circuit.

I'd put my money on Nigel Sheppards TZ250 Superkart at 1m.29sec being faster than both,the Brittens best lap being about 1m32.

LB
22nd November 2003, 15:09
Hi Magnus. In Christchurch there is a shop near the Square that is run by the Britten company, they have an early model Britten there, plus they sell all the merchandise (t-shirts, videos, pens, mugs etc etc). If you're still in the area it's well worth a look.

If you're coming through Wellington, Te Papa (the museum on the waterfront) has a Britten in the coffee shop on Level 4. You can sip some of the best coffee in Wellington sitting there gazing at the Britten. It's Number 2 Britten, and could be gotten up and running in 30 minutes (just needs fuel and oil and you're away laughing).

Lynda

LB
22nd November 2003, 15:17
Hi again Magnus. I forgot to say that there are currently two books out about the Britten. Both have been released very recently. The soft cover one is by Tim Hanna, and is more technical about the bike, not so much about the man himself. The second book, called "dare to dream" is more about John himself, though obviously the bike features in it. If you are in Wellington on Monday 24th November, Capital Books in Waring Taylor Street will be promoting the book. They will have a Britten in store (I understand it's #1, the Cardinal Britten), plus John's widow Kirsteen, and Andrew Stroud (who rode the bike on numerous occasions) will be there to promote the "Dare to Dream" book.

Lynda

Linmag
27th November 2003, 21:21
Originally posted by Lynda Blair
Hi again Magnus. I forgot to say that there are currently two books out about the Britten. Both have been released very recently. The soft cover one is by Tim Hanna, and is more technical about the bike, not so much about the man himself. The second book, called "dare to dream" is more about John himself, though obviously the bike features in it. If you are in Wellington on Monday 24th November, Capital Books in Waring Taylor Street will be promoting the book. They will have a Britten in store (I understand it's #1, the Cardinal Britten), plus John's widow Kirsteen, and Andrew Stroud (who rode the bike on numerous occasions) will be there to promote the "Dare to Dream" book.

Lynda

Thanks for the reply Lynda!!

Im out of the Christchurch area but I will go to Wellington tomorrow. I will check out the Britten at Te Papa!

I will post feedback later, Im kind of in a hurry right know.

Thanks again!
Magnus

Linmag
27th November 2003, 21:21
Originally posted by Lynda Blair

Lynda

Thanks for the reply Lynda!!

Im out of the Christchurch area but I will go to Wellington tomorrow. I will check out the Britten at Te Papa!

I will post feedback later, Im kind of in a hurry right know.

Thanks again!
Magnus

Linmag
3rd December 2003, 20:19
The Britten at Te Papa was amazing! A very very cool bike!!!!
Thanks for the info.

I am now in Auckland and will stay here for the rest of my vaction, and of course will I go on the Roadracing event at Pukekohe this weekend! Looking forward to that!

Thanks again everyone for helping me with my vacation!
Magnus