PDA

View Full Version : PMCC final round

That Guy
9th May 2005, 11:43
Well it was coming and I kew it & I deserved it. My 4th road race meet ever and I finally hit the dirt. Or tar.

Turned up in pretty cold conditions at Taupo - certainly less than 10 degrees. I sealed my fate by saying to Curious George "go easy in the first few laps 'cause yer tyres will be extra cold and the track is too - and it's starting to drizzle". Git (me) then went out and crashed in the first left hander after the start/finish straight on the first lap of practice. I lost the front hard while tipping it in (shite it went over quick!) and skidded on my butt behind the RGV well off the track. Tried to get up while still sliding too cause I thought I was going slowly enough. Git. Got tipped over onto my rights. Git. Sore butt; sore pinky and sore shoulder, broken foot peg, broken shifter, bent clip on, broken cluth lever and twisted steering damper. And several nasty scratches. Git.

Back into the pits and with mucho help (and parts) from George (thanks George you rock :Punk: ) and we got the thing back into race ready form for race 1. Just. Kind of. Replaced shifter was a bit bent and clip on was still bent; so felt a bit awkward.

Only 20 riders this time turned up for F3 - no doubt a result of date clashed with other events which as many others have posted is just plain dumb.

Race 1 went pretty well - got an ok start (about 10th or so) and enjoyed catching and passing riders - including splitting another RGV (yay another RGV out there!) down the left and a SV650 down the right going into the sweeper 3 abreast. Got up to 5th.

Race 2 got a heaps worse start (man I need to practice starts) - passed another couple of motards and another two SV650s (bit of block passin involved - heh heh) and then caught the same RGV and passed him on the last lap to beat him by about a bike length. Was great to be racing a bike of the same type and performance at last. 7th.

Race 3 - anohter crap start (even have video evidence of me getting swamped - awful) and had to get to work passing riders again. Caught up to RGV dude and we both got stuck behind a SV. I was trying all sorts of lines but just couldn't get by - even managed to caress the other RGV's farings a few times with my knees but couldn't make it stick. Then last lap - SV man goes straight on at the same corner where I crashed - he didn't come off but it distracted me enough to lose about 10 metres on the RGV guy - and that was that, 7th again.

Finished the day 5th overall but the highlight was racing the other RGV250 - F3 is such a mich-mash of bikes it's not often you end up racing someone with the same skills and the same power - usually they have less skills and more power; or vice versa.

That is the end of the PMCC champs for this year - I finished in 4th overall out of 58 odd riders which I am pretty happy with - although it helped me a fair bit turning up to all 4 rounds. Even so by the end top 10 finishes were easy so happy with that for a start to my road racing caper.

Thanks to George again for coming with me and racing too - good fun and good to see you getting quicker too.

Not sure what next.....I wanna get to Manfield.

FROSTY
9th May 2005, 11:47
Good onya mate--well deserved too. Pity I wasn't out there to play but the best laid plans of mice and men hu--next time mate. :Punk:

Quasievil
9th May 2005, 11:48
Good write up, pity my bike shit itself otherwise we could have raced together

maybe next time.
Im thinking of entering the F3 class at the motard meet next weekend 21st may.
You should come to that one as well. prolly only be two of us lol:Punk:

Motoracer
9th May 2005, 14:46
Sweet!! Go team Kiwibiker! Its great to hear that you did well Guy considering you had an off and still managed to put the bike back together and get good positions as well.

It was a bit worrieing to read the damage report. I was like "broken foot....." OH no!! "peg" Oh, that's OK then. heh

Congratualtions on your great Championship result on your first ever year of racing road bikes!! It'll be great to have you join our class with your 600 when you decide to do that.

That Guy
9th May 2005, 14:53
Thanks Frosty - get that SV out there man!

Sweet!! Go team Kiwibiker! Its great to hear that you did well Guy considering you had an off and still managed to put the bike back together and get good positions as well.

It was a bit worrieing to read the damage report. I was like "broken foot....." OH no!! "peg" Oh, that's OK then. heh

Congratualtions on your great Championship result on your first ever year of racing road bikes!! It'll be great to have you join our class with your 600 when you decide to do that.

Haha! My sneaky prose got you eh? No my foot is fine. Sitting down today at work is a bit awkward though - sore butt!

Yeah the more I ride the more I wanna try the 600. Might do a couple of track days to see if I can get some respectable times on it....wouldn't want to be in your way Sudeep :niceone:

Hey just checked your site out too - cool. :niceone: :niceone:

Motoracer
9th May 2005, 15:43
Yeah the more I ride the more I wanna try the 600. Might do a couple of track days to see if I can get some respectable times on it....wouldn't want to be in your way Sudeep :niceone:

Hey just checked your site out too - cool. :niceone: :niceone:

I reckon with your background you'll do great!

Cheers about the site.

curious george
10th May 2005, 13:46
Yep, sign of a true hard racer attitude, huge slide in the 1st lap, 1st corner; rode it back to Team HQ, fixed 'er up, and then back out there to take some top 10 places!
Well done that man! (or that Guy, as it happens....)
4th overall for somebodys first season in road racing has gotta be good, moving up to F2 anytime soon...?

Two Smoker
10th May 2005, 18:28
Awesome stuff Guy!!! Bad luck about the bin :( howabout you come down to Manfield and do some real racing???

Congrats on the 5th :niceone: