PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia Pegaso 650 Factory

Bunji
9th February 2010, 15:45
Looking for a bike to step up to from my Super Sherpa in a few months, I came across the Aprilia Pegaso Factory 650. I read a couple of reviews on it which sounded good.
Spoke to a guy at a bike shop and he told me the engine is actually a 660cc Yamaha unit(??)
What is everyone's opinion on the Pegaso?

SS90
10th February 2010, 07:04
I have to be really careful, because my experience with a Pegaso bears little, (or infact no) relevance to the "factory Pegaso", but maybe can help with some thoughts!

When the first of the "pegaso 3" came out in NZ, I was privileged enough to a) work for the importer, and b) cover significant miles on a few Pegaso's.

Servicing was a little difficult, but after a while became second nature.

The build quality was fantastic, and very little went wrong (rear shocks, but always covered under warranty, and steering head bearings didn't last long, but this was due to the fact that they are dry sump, and the hot oil circulated around the steering head bearings, killing the grease, high quality grease fixed that)

Granted, the engines are different (manufacturer wise), but it is still a liquid cooled single cylinder 4 stroke, so they are much of a muchness...... I assume they are fuel injected, as a problem with the early Pegaso was the fact that they ran twin carbs, and the bowls where tiny, and if you left it sitting longer than a week, the small amount of fuel in the bowls would go stale, and you had to drain them before starting (if it had been sitting longer than a week)...... that takes all of about 20 seconds!

Personally, I love Aprilia Pegaso's, they handle great, ok, they don't have much power, but I assure you the handling makes up for it (the speed limit is 100 after all!)

It's also a European bike, so they hold their value too...........

awayatc
10th February 2010, 07:33
earlier Pegaso's were BMW funduro's with rotax engine,
newr ones have indeed yamaha's xt 660 engines....
So easy to read up on engine performance data for those......
My older little Pegaso is very comfy and a lot more fun to ride then the similar BMW funduro.......
Have not had any problems with it apart from impossible to get Brembo mastercylinder rebuild kits........,
Take it for a spin......
see If you like it

SS90
10th February 2010, 07:45
earlier Pegaso's were BMW funduro's with rotax engine,
newr ones have indeed yamaha's xt 660 engines....
So easy to read up on engine performance data for those......
My older little Pegaso is very comfy and a lot more fun to ride then the similar BMW funduro.......
Have not had any problems with it apart from impossible to get Brembo mastercylinder rebuild kits........,
Take it for a spin......
see If you like it

Yes, that is right, however, the Pegaso 3 (cubed) had the 5 valve engine, a different frame etc.

The 5 valve engine was slower than the earlier 4 valve....but it was still a Rotax.