PDA

View Full Version : How often do you wash your bike?

mattian
9th February 2010, 17:40
Recently, I have been washing my bike everyday. Its amazing how much scum and road soot accumulates after just one day of riding. I think I might be becoming obssesive compulsive :sweatdrop

So how often do you wash your bike?

FROSTY
9th February 2010, 17:43
Thats what ive got 5 kids for

SPman
9th February 2010, 17:50
Whenever the missus washes hers, so she can do mine as well.......:whistle:

woodyracer
9th February 2010, 17:53
everyday, even tho mien are race bikes.....i cant stand having a dirty bike......but its nice to have black rims!

slofox
9th February 2010, 18:16
I think I might be becoming obssesive compulsive :sweatdrop

I could treat you for that - $50 per hour...

Motu
9th February 2010, 18:43
I like to give the impression that I'm a hard arse biker who rides constantly - to get that hard used patina requires the minimal attention possible.I think it's working....

MIXONE
9th February 2010, 18:48
You mean I'm s'posed to clean them...

MotoGirl
9th February 2010, 18:50
My bike isn't a commuter and I don't ride it consistently enough to fall into any of those options. It gets washed every time I ride it.

vifferman
9th February 2010, 19:03
Its amazing how much scum and road soot accumulates after just one day of riding.
Use the correct technical terms, please.
It's road spooge, not soot.
Similarly (in the same vein) {also} it's chain spooge (not gunk, crap, grease, effluvium, etc etc.)

How often do I wash my bike?
Hardly ever.
Just about never.
When I judge it's safe to without getting, "Are you working on your bike again?!?!?" comments....

mattian
9th February 2010, 19:55
My bike isn't a commuter and I don't ride it consistently enough to fall into any of those options. It gets washed every time I ride it.

are you like.... a millionaire or something?

Slyer
9th February 2010, 19:58
When it rains I ride faster so that the rain will clean it.
This also works with hair, just add some shampoo and go for a run.

scumdog
9th February 2010, 20:02
Everytime i get back from a long ride.

Bikemad
9th February 2010, 20:08
ummm.........have to admit........still havent washed the Triumph from the Burt trip..........

AJAX
9th February 2010, 20:15
When it rains I ride faster so that the rain will clean it.
This also works with hair, just add some shampoo and go for a run.

BAHAHAHAHA, i like that. i keep meaning to wash it but i generally do it when i notice water spots on the old wing mirrors, pretty good indication.

fliplid
9th February 2010, 20:22
BAHAHAHAHA, i like that. i keep meaning to wash it but i generally do it when i notice water spots on the old wing mirrors, pretty good indication.

Good job you don't work from a plant nursery then! Blooming bore hole water from the irrigation is a right barsteward to get off:angry2:

trailblazer
9th February 2010, 20:34
i don't wash my bike as often as i would like but we are on tank water so i wash it when it rains. Besides we live down a long gravel driveway so by the time i get to the road my bike is dirty again. :oi-grr:

rapid van cleef
9th February 2010, 20:37
when its dirty

McWild
9th February 2010, 20:42
I only clean it when it gets so dirty that its dirtiness is a regular topic in conversation.

Genie
9th February 2010, 20:42
Had my bike 2 weeks and have wahsed it twice and but I give it a wee polish after most rides. and a kiss xx

FJRider
9th February 2010, 20:48
I've had my SIX years ... and washed it twice...

I ride in the rain ... washed !!!!

Flip
9th February 2010, 20:56
I won't let the sun go down on a dirty vehicle. I have a washing station set up at home. I know its a bit anal but it just bugs me having a dirty bike or car for that matter.

BMWST?
9th February 2010, 21:14
I won't let the sun go down on a dirty vehicle. I have a washing station set up at home. I know its a bit anal but it just bugs me having a dirty bike or car for that matter.

car is spotless,have never washed the PD

Love my Bonnie
9th February 2010, 21:20
I always intend to clean my bike, I get it out of the shed....
and go for a ride instead.

Big Col
9th February 2010, 21:23
I wash the GoldWing whenever its needed, and dont seem to wash the XT at all, well once in 3 monthes.

Toaster
9th February 2010, 22:34
I NEVER WASH MY BIKE............................. yeah right.

mattian
10th February 2010, 06:03
I could treat you for that - $50 per hour...

lets make it $25, and you can wash my bike as well

Grubber
10th February 2010, 06:30
Gets a wash after a decent ride....anything less than decent i figure it doesn't deserve one.

laserracer
10th February 2010, 06:42
ok mines a dirt bike i wash it after every ride ...and sometimes i wash it when its not even dirty ..just because ..i can...besides thats what i do for a living ..lol

BoristheBiter
10th February 2010, 07:02
When it gets dirty.
Could be over a month, depends how much i ride it.

DidJit
10th February 2010, 08:51
When it's dirty.

+1

<10 chars/>

Spearfish
10th February 2010, 09:17
Its time for a new one when its dirty.
I wash the bike a borrow.

SVboy
10th February 2010, 09:17
I used to be fastidious about washing my bikes, and it is still a source of pride, but I think it is important to dry them very carefully,[more-so than a car imho] to avoid corrosion, damp in electrical connectors etc. This involves a decent ride after they are washed because of all the nooks and crannies that we cant dry with a towel, which can add up time-wise. Accordingly, I dont wash them as frequently as I did, but am very thorough when I do.

gijoe1313
10th February 2010, 11:13
I wash my bike(s) fairly regularly, wax and polish the whole nine yards sort of thing. Only the very next time I go for a pootle, it just ends up like I never washed it! :doh:

The bikers that have come around to my place has seen me fussing more over their rides than they do! A quick dab with the wash cloth, spray a bit of polish and a quick buff with micro-fibre towels after to get that show room finish back!

Heck, it all buffs out! :msn-wink:

Bounce001
10th February 2010, 12:00
A clean bike is an unused bike.

Was really proud of the fact that when I traded my slugmaster it took the shop 3 days to get it to showroom condition.

Dodger
10th February 2010, 12:26
My Bike is a workhorse, not a show-pony.
It was washed once last year, and maybe once the year before :)

Genie
10th February 2010, 13:56
washed it on Sudnay and now it's needs another, bloody bugs should get out of my way. I don't like bugs on my bike.

shrub
10th February 2010, 13:58
Washing a bike is essential maintenance. It gives me a chance to check her over in detail for loose stuff, check my chain, check brake pads and lines etc, but best of all it gives me a chance to touch my beautiful bike in a very deep and intimate way.

My car gets cleaned every second election, but it's a car. A bike is something very different and not cleaning a bike is a bad thing (unless it's a rat).

AJAX
10th February 2010, 20:29
washed it on Sudnay and now it's needs another, bloody bugs should get out of my way. I don't like bugs on my bike.

Amen to that! got hit by something the other day that felt like a bloody rubber bullet hitting my shoulder! bloody giant bugs

trailblazer
10th February 2010, 21:06
rode through some wet mucky road works tonight so had to wash my bike to get rid of all the crap all over my bike.

SPman
11th February 2010, 16:35
I've had my SIX years ... and washed it twice...

I ride in the rain ... washed !!!!
We had some rain once.....November 18th, last year I think, so it got wetted down then......

crazyhorse
11th February 2010, 16:49
When it asks me nicely.... until then nope! only when I feel like it.... used to be before most rides,, now, oh well, just whenever :(

FJRider
11th February 2010, 17:10
When it asks me nicely.... until then nope! only when I feel like it.... used to be before most rides,, now, oh well, just whenever :(

Cleaning IS womens work anyway ... :innocent:

crazyhorse
11th February 2010, 17:12
Cleaning IS womens work anyway ... :innocent:

Oooh, you gonna die - ok, not die, maybe no rep for a week - speaking of rep............................... seem to have lost yours:oi-grr:

FJRider
11th February 2010, 17:18
must spread it ... SOON OK ...

rocketman1
11th February 2010, 19:09
I dont think it is a good idea to wash your bike often, water always gets into the bearings, chain links, sure keep it clean, never water blast it, and only use a fine spray wash when you do wash it, this lessens the chances of forcing water into cracks and seals etc.
Sure if its caked in thick mud you have to make an exemption, I once travelled about 5km over a sloppy wet road works, you should have seen my bike , looked like a motox bike after a hard days riding. But only that one time i did have to wash it hard.

Yossarian
13th February 2010, 10:41
I give mine a wipe down each time I come back in from a ride. Other than that, its once a month when I get ocd on my bikes ass.

Toaster
13th February 2010, 10:43
Mines looking filthy after three evening rides this week and the last one in rain, muck and goodness knows what else has stuck to it. Hopefully this awful weather improves so I can get out and clean it.

one fast tl1ooo
13th February 2010, 11:25
When bits fall off, and i need to see where they go back on :lol: :rofl:

The Everlasting
13th February 2010, 17:11
Normally once a week,but if I have been for a long ride,i will give it a wipe down.

_Shrek_
13th February 2010, 19:06
cleaned mine after 9 months was getting a bit muddy & bits were coming loose or gone, good side every thing tight & back on down side can see a few scratchs & stuff & lost the protective coating it had

mattian
13th February 2010, 19:28
....... and goodness knows what else has stuck to it.

its called "Spooge"

fliplid
14th February 2010, 08:41
its called "Spooge"

Apparently.

Mine got a quick rinse off this morning whilst I was checking to see if me water proofs were.