PDA

View Full Version : ACC hikes, more GST, what next?

Mudfart
9th February 2010, 20:05
Well Keys has given his big speech today, more of a whimper really.
Notice Nats didn't go for the recommended property tax as they knew that for the next election they would lose all the property investors' votes. That would guarantee an election loss.
So they have gone for an extra 2.5% increase to GST. Fair across the board, it hits everyone, so won't affect the voting constituency as much.
They are announcing personal tax cuts, but they also know that most employers haven't given the contractual (employment contractual), obligatory 2.5-3% pay rise per year that many get.
We (at my job) have been told not to expect one for the next several years. And we work for the govt.
That means if they drop PAYE by 2%, maybe I should party naked. NO
Ignoring this, my cost of living is rising because inflation an average of 3.7% PER YEAR.
3.7% + 2.5% increase in GST, and my cost of living has just gone up 6.2%, in less than a year, and in one release of a waste of oxygen turned carbon dioxide.
Trees could have used that O2.
Add next years 3.7% and my cost of living will be nearly 10% more expensive than last year.
HMMMMM.
I remember an election promise of personal tax cuts, that never came through, I guess you all forgot.
Goldfish.

Mudfart
9th February 2010, 20:08
Oh yeah, I've got news for businesses etc... and its all bad.
I will never, ever, buy anything brand new again, should GST go up.
Pity, I was one summer away from full license and a brand new bike, (again).
I'm not going to play the consumer game anymore.

Mully
9th February 2010, 20:35
Notice Nats didn't go for the recommended property tax as they knew that for the next election they would lose all the property investors' votes. That would guarantee an election loss.

Looks like their going to get rid of the depreciation bit for rental landlords though.

I remember an election promise of personal tax cuts, that never came through, I guess you all forgot.
Goldfish.

I got a tax cut. In April (ish??). Didn't get a pay rise last year, but I'm getting on this year

Yeah, that'll learn them.

Skyryder
9th February 2010, 20:51
Key just trying to impress Rodders by doing something when in fact he's doing nothing. Personly I think he's been reading Mulddon on holiday. Take with one hand and give with the other. Problem with Key is that he has no idea what hand is doing what.

Skyyrder

Dave Lobster
10th February 2010, 05:59
If you're unhappy with your job, and think you're worth more, prove it. Get a job somewhere else that'll pay you more.

If you can't get a job somewhere else, for more, you're clearly not worth more.

Dave Lobster
10th February 2010, 06:00
whoops.. double post!

Okey Dokey
10th February 2010, 07:55
If you're unhappy with your job, and think you're worth more, prove it. Get a job somewhere else that'll pay you more.

If you can't get a job somewhere else, for more, you're clearly not worth more.

DO IT! I did and it is great!

Mully
10th February 2010, 08:13
DO IT! I did and it is great!

Me too. Upskilled accordingly and (worked it out the other day) in 4 years, my income went from $16K/year to $60k/year and has kept growing.

Skyryder
10th February 2010, 11:00
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/politics/3311651/National-won-t-raise-GST-Key-in-2008

Well well well. Can’t say I’m surprised this has surfaced. More lies that Key has fed to gullible public. When are the public going to recognize the charlatan that we now have as a Prime Minister.

Key’s announcement of the expectation of raising GST can only be interpreted as he is the leader of a ‘half decent’ government. I’ve been saying that for some time. Gota agree with ya on this John.:2thumbsup

Skyryder

slofox
10th February 2010, 11:08

Sooooo...you gonna eat 2nd hand food as well, huh?

mashman
10th February 2010, 11:09
When are the public going to recognize the charlatan that we now have as a Prime Minister.

Key’s announcement of the expectation of raising GST can only be interpreted as he is the leader of a ‘half decent’ government. I’ve been saying that for some time. Gota agree with ya on this John.:2thumbsup

Skyryder

He's just a mouth piece. It's not like he can say "I'm Prime Minister, you can't raise GST!". Just look at the way elections are run... it's like watching Policitian Idol... except there are no rounds and we skip straight to the final... I don't think many will be surprised about the U-Turn at all and it's just another attempt by the opposition to say that he lied and therefore his whole party is full of liars... Politicians, can't live with 'em! would love to live without 'em!

Skyryder
10th February 2010, 12:00
He's just a mouth piece. It's not like he can say "I'm Prime Minister, you can't raise GST!". Just look at the way elections are run... it's like watching Policitian Idol... except there are no rounds and we skip straight to the final... I don't think many will be surprised about the U-Turn at all and it's just another attempt by the opposition to say that he lied and therefore his whole party is full of liars... Politicians, can't live with 'em! would love to live without 'em!

Yes he can. He's the PM and leader of the National Party. The Nats party rules are different than those of Labour. In short Key has more control over policy than his Labour counterparts.

However having said that I'm not in general disagreement with the sentiments that you express but Key is on record saying that if elected he was not going to raise GST. This is a commitment to the people of New Zealand of what he would not do if elected. These statements are made on the basis of trust. Now we all know that politicians sadly can not be trusted but this in no way excuses a statement of intent, and what Key said was at a statement of intent that if elected he was ‘not’ going to raise GST.

Now some may argue that the final decision has not been made on raising GST and therefore Key is still keeping his word. But the following makes a mockery of Keys integrity in this respect.

The Government is considering increasing GST to as high as 15 per cent as part of planned changes to the tax system, Prime Minister John Key has confirmed.
In a statement to Parliament, Mr Key said a ''modest increase'' in GST - presently 12.5 per cent - ''to no more than 15 per cent'' was being investigated, but more work would be done before any decisions were made.

Skyryder

firefighter
10th February 2010, 12:13
Looks like their going to get rid of the depreciation bit for rental landlords though.

This I do'nt agree with.

It's typical NZ shortsightedness to punish those who work hard and make an effort to earn enough of their own money to retire, who try and invest their money rather than blow it all, and in turn will live off their own money rather than a pension. Shit like this makes you better off renting, spending your money on shit, and just living off the rest of the nation when the time comes. As stupid as the secondary tax scam.
I guess uninformed tenants will be happy about their 'rich landlords' getting stiffed one, forgetting of-course about the requirement for up-keep, rates etc, and that their landlords money goes into that property rather than piss.

Why not focus on those really effecting the nations economy ie, the bludgers.

Dave Lobster
10th February 2010, 13:43
Why not focus on those really effecting the nations economy ie, the bludgers.

It's much easier to knock someone who has got something, rather than those that can't be arsed. ;)

Swoop
10th February 2010, 14:13
Oh how things would have been sooooo different if Cullen hadn't fucked up the finances, created false records (remember the "opening of the books"?) and then spent up what remained on bribing his way into his next job...

davereid
10th February 2010, 16:25
Goldfish.

You got them. At $38k you had a marginal tax rate of 33%. Now its 21%.

Okey Dokey
10th February 2010, 16:33
Yes he can. He's the PM and leader of the National Party. The Nats party rules are different than those of Labour. In short Key has more control over policy than his Labour counterparts.

Skyryder

Now THAT really surprises me. I cannot recall a PM who seemed to totally dominate their party more than Helen Clark did the Labour Party. Before anyone can bring it up, Muldoon was before my time. I stand to be corrected...being on kb I am sure I will be...

Dave Lobster
10th February 2010, 17:00
I stand to be corrected...being on kb I am sure I will be...

Heh heh.. whether you're wrong or not!! :) :)

P38
10th February 2010, 17:16
Sooooo...you gonna eat 2nd hand food as well, huh?

Hey I can keep ya supplied with heaps of second hand food, cheap prices too ..........

All freshly brewed and served steaming hot twice a day if your keen :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

steve_t
10th February 2010, 17:29
Hey I can keep ya supplied with heaps of second hand food, cheap prices too ..........

All freshly brewed and served steaming hot twice a day if your keen :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Twice a day every day? I'm obviously not eating enough fibre :laugh:

Quasievil
10th February 2010, 18:23
I got a great idea that will save the country from imminent ruin, eliminate a large portion of bennificary payments............job done!! the savings in beuracracy (however ya spell it) and payments will set us on a good path, will save the DOC lands from mining and save the dole scabbers from protesting the mining to.................its a win win people !!