PDA

View Full Version : Speeding cops

dpex
9th February 2010, 21:55
The relentless message is, 'Speed Kills'. And that's the justification for cops to hand out tickets, right?

Tonight I was wandering down Edmonton Rd (here in West Auckland) in my cage, heading home after a long day. I hear a siren, then around a completely blind bend, peppered with driveways, comes a cop car. It was doing well into 80Ks. Lights flashing, sirens going.

Now then. I'm supposed to negotiate such bends at 50Ks max, on the basis there might be kids on bikes, folk turning in or out of driveways, or some other poor fluke on the road ahead.

Yet this cop car whistles around this bend at 80Ks plus.

Obviously, the officers are attending upon an emergency. But then I asked, what nature of emergency has it to be to enable a cop car driver to drive as such an insane speed?

Is it a traffic accident? Is it a murder? A rape, perhaps? Maybe some scumbag approaching a child. Maybe there's some guy with a gun, holding up a McDonalds....although he'd probably be there to exact utu for getting food poisoning.

So let's have a look at the possible scanarios which could possibly allow a cop car to drive at such insane speeds.

Surely, the event would have to be 'happening' right then, and that the only solution for the cops would have to be 'there' ASAP.

But what sort of event would it have to be?

A traffic accident? Give me a break. The accident has already happened so what's the hurry?

Some guy with a gun doing strange things? So what's the hurry? The some guy is going to be there doing strange things for ages.

A child molster who has fled in his car? Which way has he fled?

The possibilities regarding the 'apparent' urgency of this cop car getting to another point are endless.

Now consider justification.

There is one thing you can be assured of. In tomorrow's papers there will be no reports of men with guns, child-molesters fleeing, or any other such intensely urgent requirement for the cops to be there and, therefore justify the madness of this cop driver.

No. These pricks, like so many cops with sirens and lights, showed a complete disregard for the safety of others because they could. They're cops, in a cop car, going at insane speeds through blind corners simply because their pathetic egos said they could.

It was a traffic car. And I'll lay odds the driver would not hesitate to pull you up for doing 1K over the allowable fudge limit, and then tell you you're a danger to society.

As these shits went by I wondered what would have happened had I been turning right into a driveway on this blind corner. They would have trashed me and blamed it on an 'emergency' call.

I ask again. What possible emergency could allow a cop car to ravel at such an insane speed in a dangerous, built-up area?

I can't think of one.

Having considered all this, I'd like to ask you all a question:

Please provide me with a reason so compelling which requires cops to speed.

I can think of doctors having a justifiable reason to speed, and ambulances, and fire engines, but they're not allowed to speed. But cops are?

I can't think of one good reason why cops are entitled to speed. Yet the bastards do, then have the effrontery to tell me I'm a bad person when I copy what they do.

onearmedbandit
9th February 2010, 22:10
I can think of doctors having a justifiable reason to speed, and ambulances, and fire engines, but they're not allowed to speed. But cops are?

I can't think of one good reason why cops are entitled to speed. Yet the bastards do, then have the effrontery to tell me I'm a bad person when I copy what they do.

Um, ambulances and fire engines are allowed to speed. Also, growing up in a smal town outside of ChCh I remember the local GP's speeding, same as the volunter fire fighters, in their own cars. My father explained that they had their lights on high during the day to alert other drivers, and as long as they weren't dangerous the police would not stop them.

Back to your point. I don't think that if my 3yr old daughter had been abducted and the police were informed of the cars description and location that I'd be happy knowing they were making good progress at 50km/h, observing all red lights. Cos why should the bastards get to run red lights as well, after all I'm not allowed to. It's just not fair.

And surely this is just a wind up. You must be quite bored to have tapped that all out just to do some fishing.

grusomhat
9th February 2010, 22:15
Ambulances and Fire engines can speed AFAIK there's a limit though.

While I've had the same thought that you have, I've come up with some reasons why they can speed. For one they have flashing lights and sirens and secondly the drivers are highly trained and go through some pretty extensive driver training. Both of which means that they can safely travel faster than the posted speed limit. What makes 50 such a safe speed for a built up area?

I'm not advocating that they should have the right to speed excessively and when they do it should be highly dependent on the situation but fuck me, they are doing a job that will quite often need a quick response. As you said, you don't know what they were attending so to assume that their speed wasn't necessary is a little naive.

TLDR: Situation dependent they have the ability to travel faster than the posted speed limit safely.

Jonno.
9th February 2010, 22:23
When was the last child or even pedestrian killed because of the situation you just outline.
Has there been any?
Would they have been saved from going 50k?

Spearfish
9th February 2010, 22:23
I could have been all the above, coms gives them the job and what priority its at and off they go. Could be a boy with a stick the neighbours think is a gun or it could be another blue baby... how many things can you imagine?

popa griffin
9th February 2010, 22:44
go through some pretty extensive driver training. Both of which means that they can safely travel faster than the posted speed limit.

Ha, if by extensive training you mean a week long fun week of racing around a purpose built track then sure. They have no extra awesome driving skills then what we do.

And if thats the case, why cant v8 super car drivers, rally drivers and so on go speeding everywhere?

That said. If i had a guy pointing a gun in my general direction, i wouldnt try hold onto the hope that he would be doing that for a while before shooting me, and would certianally hope the cops dont fuck about getting to helping me out.

onearmedbandit
9th February 2010, 23:03
Maybe because V8 Supercar drivers are not attending an emergency.

mattian
10th February 2010, 05:52
If that was a serious assault/rape on your mother, or other loved one they were attending too, they would'nt get there fast enough aye.

Grubber
10th February 2010, 06:14
Imagine the shite that would hit the whirry blowy thing if they were too late getting to the emergency.
FRONT PAGE NEWS! Lack of response by the police caused the death of ......

oh heres a stupid statement for ya

WHY SHOULD POLICE BE ABLE TO SPEED?

BoristheBiter
10th February 2010, 06:57
The relentless message is, 'Speed Kills'. And that's the justification for cops to hand out tickets, right?

Tonight I was wandering down Edmonton Rd (here in West Auckland) in my cage, heading home after a long day. I hear a siren, then around a completely blind bend, peppered with driveways, comes a cop car. It was doing well into 80Ks. Lights flashing, sirens going.

Now then. I'm supposed to negotiate such bends at 50Ks max, on the basis there might be kids on bikes, folk turning in or out of driveways, or some other poor fluke on the road ahead.

Obviously, the officers are attending upon an emergency. But then I asked, what nature of emergency has it to be to enable a cop car driver to drive as such an insane speed?

Is it a traffic accident? Is it a murder? A rape, perhaps? Maybe some scumbag approaching a child. Maybe there's some guy with a gun, holding up a McDonalds....although he'd probably be there to exact utu for getting food poisoning.

So let's have a look at the possible scanarios which could possibly allow a cop car to drive at such insane speeds.

Surely, the event would have to be 'happening' right then, and that the only solution for the cops would have to be 'there' ASAP.

A traffic accident? Give me a break. The accident has already happened so what's the hurry?

Some guy with a gun doing strange things? So what's the hurry? The some guy is going to be there doing strange things for ages.

The possibilities regarding the 'apparent' urgency of this cop car getting to another point are endless.

There is one thing you can be assured of. In tomorrow's papers there will be no reports of men with guns, child-molesters fleeing, or any other such intensely urgent requirement for the cops to be there and, therefore justify the madness of this cop driver.

No. These pricks, like so many cops with sirens and lights, showed a complete disregard for the safety of others because they could. They're cops, in a cop car, going at insane speeds through blind corners simply because their pathetic egos said they could.

It was a traffic car. And I'll lay odds the driver would not hesitate to pull you up for doing 1K over the allowable fudge limit, and then tell you you're a danger to society.

As these shits went by I wondered what would have happened had I been turning right into a driveway on this blind corner. They would have trashed me and blamed it on an 'emergency' call.

I ask again. What possible emergency could allow a cop car to ravel at such an insane speed in a dangerous, built-up area?

I can't think of one.

What a complete arse thread.
I bet if you called the police and they took more then 5 mins to get to you you would complain.
Next time you need an emergancy service I hope they take hours to get to you.
No in fact i hope they just leave you there to think about how much you need them.

SMOKEU
10th February 2010, 08:17
If comms say that that a situation is a priority 1 then the po-po can drive to the emergency as fast as they like.

Swoop
10th February 2010, 08:25
A 50% discount sale at Dunkin' Donuts.

Obvious, isn't it!

mashman
10th February 2010, 09:17
I can't think of one good reason why cops are entitled to speed.

Because in lots of situations these days cops need to be on scene before the ambulance or fire engine are allowed to do their thing... and all because there are too many fuckwits having a pop at those who are there to help... seriously fuckin sickening...

RT527
10th February 2010, 16:10
Because in lots of situations these days cops need to be on scene before the ambulance or fire engine are allowed to do their thing... and all because there are too many fuckwits having a pop at those who are there to help... seriously fuckin sickening...

Since when was that brought in...if we get there first we get there first , same goes for ambulance we dont have to wait. unless we think our lives could be in danger ....but we never know that untill we get there.

mashman
10th February 2010, 19:44
Since when was that brought in...if we get there first we get there first , same goes for ambulance we dont have to wait. unless we think our lives could be in danger ....but we never know that untill we get there.

I'm wasn't saying that you couldn't/don't/won't at all, I was just saying that in certain situations that is the case. Therefore, and only imho, I would expect a police car to speed somewhere... especially if the request to be on scene has come from another emergency service.

meteor
10th February 2010, 20:02
A 50% discount sale at Dunkin' Donuts. Obvious, isn't it!
Ah ha, the secrets out.. first sensible answer in this TROLL of a thread!

GOONR
10th February 2010, 20:20
...... it could be another blue baby... how many things can you imagine?

My daughter has a major heart condition and yup, if she turned blue I wouldn't give a shit if it was a firecrew, police or ambulance that turned up first. I'd just be ferking thankful for any help that came her way.

The Everlasting
10th February 2010, 20:38
I highly doubt anyone has ever been killed because of a cop car speeding to an emergency.

huff3r
10th February 2010, 23:00
I highly doubt anyone has ever been killed because of a cop car speeding to an emergency.

Especially with the loud siren and lights telling you to get the fuck outta the way!

In fact what concerns me more is the lazy indifference with which New Zealanders get out of the way of any emergency services vehicle. When i see them coming im on the side of the road straight away, not when it suits me! So many times ive seen them have to pass people at a crawl because they simply refuse to move over far or fast enough.

popa griffin
11th February 2010, 02:34
Especially with the loud siren and lights telling you to get the fuck outta the way!

In fact what concerns me more is the lazy indifference with which New Zealanders get out of the way of any emergency services vehicle. When i see them coming im on the side of the road straight away, not when it suits me! So many times ive seen them have to pass people at a crawl because they simply refuse to move over far or fast enough.

They also cant pass on the left apparently. Any Emergancy serivce. Its what my Police buddy and ambo buddy said, not sure about firefighters.

They also say the most annoying this is fuck nobs with there sounds so loud the can't hear the sirens and they get stuck behind them for ages.

The Everlasting
11th February 2010, 06:45

True,so unless your deaf,it should not be an issue.

I'm the same as you,as soon as I see the ambo,police etc coming,i get out of the way asap!!

NighthawkNZ
11th February 2010, 06:49
Um, ambulances and fire engines are allowed to speed..

Actually you will find the law states that they are not allowed to go above the speed limit...

Toot Toot
11th February 2010, 07:02
To the original poster...you are a fucken retard.

Toot Toot
11th February 2010, 07:04
Actually you will find the law states that they are not allowed to go above the speed limit...
On what basis do you say that?? You are wrong. Get your facts right before posting bullshit.

Toot Toot
11th February 2010, 07:06
They also cant pass on the left apparently.
Can pass whatever side they choose to, its just unwise or poor practice to pass on the left as that is the way vehicles in this country are meant to pull over to when they hear a siren or see red or blue/red flashing lights.

Toot Toot
11th February 2010, 07:07
In fact what concerns me more is the lazy indifference with which New Zealanders get out of the way of any emergency services vehicle.

Best post in this entire waste of thread.

Toot Toot
11th February 2010, 07:11

There is NO speed limit for Police or Ambulance vehicles in LAW. Their speeds are limited by POLICY within the organisation.

Toot Toot
11th February 2010, 07:14

Mashman is partially correct here Brian. Any situation where there is a possibility of harm or danger to staff, police will enter the job first.

The Everlasting
11th February 2010, 07:20

On what basis do you say that?? You are wrong. Get your facts right before posting bullshit.

Yeah,I thought Nighthawk's statement was wrong,there has never been a speed limit for cops etc,it's up to them.

davereid
11th February 2010, 07:22
When was the last child or even pedestrian killed because of the situation you just outline.
Has there been any?
Would they have been saved from going 50k?

Im not sure if your post in tongue in cheek or not. Police crashes have killed, and do kill regularly.

In July last year, a teenage pedestrian was killed and his friend hospitalised when they were hit by a police car. In 2008 a teenager was left in a coma when a police car hit a lamp post whch fell on him.

Last year police reported 731 crashes.

Since 2003, 24 people were killed and 91 seriously injured in police pursuits.

grusomhat
11th February 2010, 07:38
I

Does that include the pursued?

Mudfart
11th February 2010, 08:16
Police are only permitted to respond to ANY emergency at a maximum speed of 40 kmph above the posted speed limit for the area.
Although this changes if its say middle of the night on the motorway, they can go upto 180kph.
Do not forget, political correctness has affected us all (for the worse, mostly), and it has leeched its way into lawmaking, yes even for police themselves. Just as religion leeched its way into some really really stupid laws being made, over the last 800 years or so.

firefighter
11th February 2010, 08:25
especially if the request to be on scene has come from another emergency service.

Actually, that's when they take the longest to get anywhere. :bash:

firefighter
11th February 2010, 08:30

Thanks, your the only one of the 10% that do! Some people have real beef with pulling to the side.

They also cant pass on the left apparently. Any Emergancy serivce. Its what my Police buddy and ambo buddy said, not sure about firefighters.

They also say the most annoying this is fuck nobs with there sounds so loud the can't hear the sirens and they get stuck behind them for ages.

Yeah ya can. Been over a curb or three before.

oldrider
11th February 2010, 08:31
Six consecutive posts in a "troll" thread, aren't we getting a little bit emotionally involved here? :whistle:

firefighter
11th February 2010, 08:33

I'm assuming you're taking the piss?

firefighter
11th February 2010, 08:37
Ha, if by extensive training you mean a week long fun week of racing around a purpose built track then sure. They have no extra awesome driving skills then what we do.

And if thats the case, why cant v8 super car drivers, rally drivers and so on go speeding everywhere?

"And if thats the case, why cant v8 super car drivers, rally drivers and so on go speeding everywhere?"

Mwahahahahaha!!!!!! Read that again then uppercut yourself.

Where is this track bro? :whistle:

kwaka_crasher
11th February 2010, 08:37
True, so unless you're deaf it should not be an issue.

Even if you are deaf it shouldn't be an issue if you're a better than half-decent driver and actually use your mirrors regularly... unless the blind are also driving now. Actually, that isn't quite so far fetched given some of the driving examples I've observed on the road in the last week.

firefighter
11th February 2010, 08:39
Six consecutive posts in a "troll" thread, aren't we getting a little bit emotionally involved here? :whistle:

I know you were talking about Tootoot, but I know why. Multi-quoting with this new format is a real bitch.

BoristheBiter
11th February 2010, 09:14
Im not sure if your post in tongue in cheek or not. Police crashes have killed, and do kill regularly.

In July last year, a teenage pedestrian was killed and his friend hospitalised when they were hit by a police car. In 2008 a teenager was left in a coma when a police car hit a lamp post whch fell on him.

Last year police reported 731 crashes.

how many were caused by the offender?
how many pursuits each year?
how many p1 jobs dispatched?
How many were caused by people failing to get out of the way?

We can all state facts just look at ACC. at the end of the day if the police are involved in an accident they are prosocuted just like everyone else if not more.

last night they showed that tosser with the broken leg, didn't show the copper getting shot at the night before. it the public eyes they can do no right and its troll threads like this that show why.

onearmedbandit
11th February 2010, 09:40

Oh really? Best I ring the plod next time I see a speeding ambulance or fire engine. Not like they're attending an 'emergency' or anything. I suppose you think they need to stop for traffic lights and wait until they're green?

Ronin
11th February 2010, 10:13
Oh really? Best I ring the plod next time I see a speeding ambulance or fire engine. Not like they're attending an 'emergency' or anything. I suppose you think they need to stop for traffic lights and wait until they're green?

I thought, and I may be wrong, that they have guidelines on exceeding the limit but it has to be justifiable. In the event of an accident while exceeding the limit they can still be prosecuted.

Insanity_rules
11th February 2010, 11:03
Thanks, your the only one of the 10% that do! Some people have real beef with pulling to the side.

I'll bloody say!!! As an ex-fire fighter when we were K1 (proceeding to an incident) It could get pretty hairy and F-me if some people wouldn't get out of the way of a bloody fire appliance! Probably the same people who would complain we didn't get to there house fast enough.

FYI on the driver training, we had pretty intensive driver training and rather severe punishments for cocking up behind the wheel.

onearmedbandit
11th February 2010, 11:12
I thought, and I may be wrong, that they have guidelines on exceeding the limit but it has to be justifiable. In the event of an accident while exceeding the limit they can still be prosecuted.

I don't dispute that they guidelines/policies/procedures etc and as Insanity_rules says severe consequence if they do breach any condition. But NighthawkNZ claims it is against the law for them to do so.

BoristheBiter
11th February 2010, 11:21
I don't dispute that they guidelines/policies/procedures etc and as Insanity_rules says severe consequence if they do breach any condition. But NighthawkNZ claims it is against the law for them to do so.

Its a bit like lane splitting, there are times when speeding is allowd, attending job etc, and times when not, late for donuts (but it should be).
Any police/ambo/firetruck can get a speeding ticket at any time, they have to justerfy the speed they are traveling at and why.
For the police when attending jobs it is 30km over the posted speed limit.

mashman
11th February 2010, 11:50
I often want to ride in front of fire engines or ambulances flashing my lights, beeping my horn etc... to get the lazy fuckers out of the way. The fact that there are guidelines for speed for the emergency services upsets me. Potentially there's a life on the line, why wouldn't you want them to get there as quickly as possible...

There was a spate of arson attacks a few years ago and our rental was right above one of them. The big fir tree, 10 feet from the wooden clad house, burst into flames, orange glowing needles blowing off all over the place. When the boys in the big red truck arrived they had to put one of the windows in on a car because he was parked over the hydrant access... Their own fault, and luckily they arrived in time for me not to be homeless... I despise anyone who doesn't show due consideration when the emergency services are off to a potentially lethal job. Their lives can be on the line... it's not just ours...

a HUUUUUUGE thanks to all that stopped the house we were renting from burning down, shame it was because some fuckwit thought lighting fires was a good idea... and in general a HUUUUUUUGE thanks for what you ALL do... i'll never hold you up... and if i can, and I see you're coming up behind me, i'll try to make a hole in the traffic for ya! fuck 'em if they get pissed at me!

Mudfart
11th February 2010, 12:28
people that dont move out the way of emergency services coz they are playing their sounds too loud, should be given a "gentle" reminder up the backside.
I know some police that have resigned their jobs because of all the statutes in place that tell them how to conduct their routines.
Its a pc world gone mad.

mashman
11th February 2010, 12:39
people that dont move out the way of emergency services coz they are playing their sounds too loud, should be given a "gentle" reminder up the backside.
I know some police that have resigned their jobs because of all the statutes in place that tell them how to conduct their routines.
Its a pc world gone mad.

That's no excuse for not using them reflective surfaces that adorn the windscreen and side of the car though... Perhaps take the number plates and pass them on to the revenue generating crowd for undue care and attention.

Ronin
11th February 2010, 14:01

As I remember it. Yes it is illegal, however assuming that it is justified and safe for conditions then there is no ticket. For instance, lights on going to job as requested will void a speed camera ticket. Speeding on way to donut shop means they pay.

Don't get me wrong. I have noooo problem with them speeding to jobs what so ever.

Toot Toot
11th February 2010, 14:28
As I remember it. Yes it is illegal, however assuming that it is justified and safe for conditions then there is no ticket.

It is ok for ANYONE to break the speed limit if it it can be proved in court that it was to save life or limb, so long as it is on reasonable grounds and justifiable.

Ronin
11th February 2010, 14:48
Good question. No idea. I have seen cases in the media where speeding prospective fathers have been pulled up then given an escort to the hospital.

Virago
11th February 2010, 16:41
...I can't think of one good reason why cops are entitled to speed. Yet the bastards do, then have the effrontery to tell me I'm a bad person when I copy what they do.

...Given I was just bumbling along at about 120Ks the stoppie was not an issue...

Your utterly egotistical hypocrasy is quite stunning. Apparently you believe that it's okay for you to speed, but not emergency services...?

dpex
11th February 2010, 18:44
Okay, so I gave it a few days just to see what the responses would be.

So let me describe the scene again. It's a blind corner with a dozen or so drives issuing onto the road around this corner.

Around the corner comes the cop doing 80ish. Mercifully, no child or adult or vehicle just happened to be in the way. But has such been the cop could not have stopped in time.

So now let's get to the cause. Remember, I mentioned a whole raft of probables.

What I purposefully failed to mention was that I found a space and did a Uey and followed the cop, having felt more than mildly outraged at the speed at which he was traveling.

They were attending a simple, minor damage, nose-to-tail just two clicks further on. No bad men with guns. No fleeing child-molesters or rapists, elderly beaters, or other such heinous hoons. A simple nose-to-tail.

Now tell me they were justified to drive at such crazy speeds, in a built-up area, around a blind corner, just to get to such a minor accident in such a hurry.

red mermaid
11th February 2010, 18:55
Did they have lights and siren on?

Do you know the circumstances of the crash, as reported to Police?

The Everlasting
11th February 2010, 20:26
They may not have been sure what to expect,so treated it as an emergency.

huff3r
11th February 2010, 20:53
They may not have been sure what to expect,so treated it as an emergency.

When i rang in my crash, a simple nose-to-tail as well, i was completely unsure as to what damage there was to any of the other cars or drivers. They got there damned quick and i was damned grateful. As it happened i was blocking one lane on a bridge in Hamilton, so it was pretty bloody important for them to get there quick to handle the traffic situation at the time. Did they know this before they arrived? Fuck no, i wasnt in any state to give them any better information.

If someone is in the middle of the road when they hear sirens coming they must be retarded. Get out the way when you hear the sirens and the cops will not hit you, its that simple. Oh, and i bet they can stop a damn-sight quicker than you expect too, modern ABS brakes are pretty farken good, and with an experienced driver who spends many hours training on a skidpan, even better! (BTW their training is great fun to watch, the police college was just down from my school :lol: )

The Everlasting
11th February 2010, 21:07
^Yeah,exactly,so when you see a speeding cop,he/she is doing so for good reason,so get outta the way!!

So the OP of the thread is clearly on another planet!!!

oldrider
11th February 2010, 21:45
I know you were talking about Tootoot, but I know why. Multi-quoting with this new format is a real bitch.

Fair enough, good point, I didn't think about that! :confused:

JohnR
11th February 2010, 21:52
The driver of any emergency vehicle can be charged with any offence against the driving regulations, whether driving with "lights and sirens" or not. The law says however, that they have a defence for a a charge if they can prove that the vehicle was fitted with lights and siren and being used on urgent business, or words to that effect.
In essence the only "concessions" are with regard to speed and controlled intersections. (AFAIK all services have their own policies, which are usually well within what the law allows)

There is NO defence for dangerous driving, e.g. overtaking on yellow lines, overtaking on pedestrian crossing etc.

This is what is taught in the Ambulance Driving Course, along with Hazard Action Plans, Fatigue management and many advanced driving techniques. I know cos I teach it...

Response priority is decided by the Communication Centre, not the crew.

swbarnett
11th February 2010, 22:18
Think of it another way. The "speed kills" message is a complete load of bollox. Cops prove it every day by this sort of action.

Toaster
11th February 2010, 22:25
Geez there are some utter morons on this site.

BoristheBiter
12th February 2010, 06:53
Okay, so I gave it a few days just to see what the responses would be.

So let me describe the scene again. It's a blind corner with a dozen or so drives issuing onto the road around this corner.

Around the corner comes the cop doing 80ish. Mercifully, no child or adult or vehicle just happened to be in the way. But has such been the cop could not have stopped in time.

So now let's get to the cause. Remember, I mentioned a whole raft of probables.

What I purposefully failed to mention was that I found a space and did a Uey and followed the cop, having felt more than mildly outraged at the speed at which he was traveling.

They were attending a simple, minor damage, nose-to-tail just two clicks further on. No bad men with guns. No fleeing child-molesters or rapists, elderly beaters, or other such heinous hoons. A simple nose-to-tail.

Now tell me they were justified to drive at such crazy speeds, in a built-up area, around a blind corner, just to get to such a minor accident in such a hurry.

what a complete tit, what planet is your head at?

you complain about cops speeding around a blind corner then you go and pull a Uee, on said corner, then speed to catch up to the police and keep up with them. if you think is was your duty to find out why they were speeding then good for you but to have a rant while you were speeding to catch up just shows what a small man you are.

if you or anyone you know is in a crash or needs any help in a hurry i hope you remeber what you have posted here.

Toot Toot
12th February 2010, 10:32
A simple nose-to-tail.

Maybe last week when they went to a minor taxi vs wall to find a homicide??

vifferman
12th February 2010, 11:20
^Yeah,exactly,so when you see a speeding cop,he/she is doing so for good reason,so get outta the way!!
Yes.
Except when they aren't, like a few years back when too many cops were caught out for using their sirens to get home for a lunch in a hurry (or other spurious reasons), and ended up in a power of shit for it. IIRC, as a result they were banned from using them for a while, except in VERY dire emergencies.

Toaster
12th February 2010, 12:03
Yes.
Except when they aren't, like a few years back when too many cops were caught out for using their sirens to get home for a lunch in a hurry (or other spurious reasons), and ended up in a power of shit for it. IIRC, as a result they were banned from using them for a while, except in VERY dire emergencies.

The poor actions of a few unfortunately always taint the reputation of the many.

Ixion
12th February 2010, 12:45
Why is it such a big deal? So, some cops speed. Ho hum. Some non cops have been known to do it too. Most cops likely to be in marked cars are fairly sensible (the ones with silver braid are another matter). Personally, I couldn't give a stuff how or when they speed. Less of a risk to me, I'm sure, than 50% of the doddering idiots out there.

And a lot of coppering must be bloody boring. Seems only fair that they get the chance to have a bit of a fang now and then. (On the Chritsmas Nice and Nasty ride, one of the bikey cops shepherded us up Queen St. Which involved him waiting until we had all passed him, then blasting past full gauntlet to the head of the ride, to get to the next set of traffic lights ahead of the ride, so he could wave it through. Rinse, lather, repeat. He had the BIGGEST grin on his face!. Good for him )

red mermaid
12th February 2010, 13:28
You've only got half the story right here (what a surprise on KB!)

It was in the late 70's. A cop in the south island was caught using his siren to clear traffic so he could get home for tea in time.
Consequently sirens were taken out of police cars until the mid 80's, although we in the MoT kept ours.

Yes.

Littleman
12th February 2010, 13:51
What does dpex murmur in your ear when hes inside you vifferman?

Patrick
12th February 2010, 16:42
Geez there are some utter morons on this site.

Sure are... But then there are some pearlers too... Like the donut special call.... and Littlemans call above.....

Mikkel
12th February 2010, 22:49
And surely this is just a wind up. You must be quite bored to have tapped that all out just to do some fishing.

It does raise a valid point though. Especially in regards to traffic policing.

If speed kills - then surely two vehicles speeding are twice as dangerous as one vehicle speeding. So, by extrapolation, speeding in relation to traffic enforcement is counter-productive... IF, and only if, the main goal is road safety.

...but then, I never truly believed it to be about road safety. Revenue gathering, probably. Controlling the population, most definitely. Anyway, I can't complain about the cops speeding, after all I do it myself from time to time!

And yes, I am only half-serious. We do need road rules and they do need to be enforced - but they need to be enforced sensibly and honestly.

grusomhat
13th February 2010, 08:48
It does raise a valid point though. Especially in regards to traffic policing.

If speed kills - then surely two vehicles speeding are twice as dangerous as one vehicle speeding. So, by extrapolation, speeding in relation to traffic enforcement is counter-productive... IF, and only if, the main goal is road safety.

...but then, I never truly believed it to be about road safety. Revenue gathering, probably. Controlling the population, most definitely. Anyway, I can't complain about the cops speeding, after all I do it myself from time to time!

And yes, I am only half-serious. We do need road rules and they do need to be enforced - but they need to be enforced sensibly and honestly.

http://xkcd.com/605/

swbarnett
13th February 2010, 10:45
A question for those that have bought in to the "Speed Kills" message. If this is true how come the number of speeding tickets issued annually far exceeds the death toll?

From November 1 2008 to October 31 2009 340,368 speed camera tickets were issued, yet the death toll was in the reagion of 3 or 400. A ratio of 0.1%. And that's only from cameras, not to mention the number of times people speed and don't get caught. Obviously there is no correlation between speed and death.

On a totally unrelated note (although relevant to the original post). I have no problem with cops engaging in risky activities in the pursuit of criminals. I'd rather loose a few innocents by accident (myself and mine included) than create a culture where crims know they can escape simply my engaging the police in something that is likely to result in a member of the public coming to harm.

Virago
13th February 2010, 11:17
A question for those that have bought in to the "Speed Kills" message. If this is true how come the number of speeding tickets issued annually far exceeds the death toll?...

A rather spurious and illogical argument.

The number of people ticketed for drink-driving will far exceed the number who die as a result of the act. Does that prove that drink-driving is not dangerous?

The number of people ticketed for failing to wear a seat-belt will far outweigh to number who die as a result of not wearing one.

The number of cigarettes smoked will exceed the number of people who die from smoking related illness.

How far do you want to take a silly viewpoint?

swbarnett
13th February 2010, 11:28
A rather spurious and illogical argument.

The number of people ticketed for drink-driving will far exceed the number who die as a result of the act. Does that prove that drink-driving is not dangerous?

The number of people ticketed for failing to wear a seat-belt will far outweigh to number who die as a result of not wearing one.

The number of cigarettes smoked will exceed the number of people who die from smoking related illness.

How far do you want to take a silly viewpoint?
What is at issue here is the probability to any given individual. We are supposed to believe that "speed kills", "you will die if you don't wear a seat belt" and "if you smoke it will kill you". These are absolute statements and are only true for a very narrow set of curcumstances. Yes, without speed an impact will be less harmfull, likewise wearing a seat belt will mitigate some of the concequences and if you don't smoke then you are likely to be healthier. However, the probability of this happening to a given individual is infinitesimal and, in my opinion, not worth worrying about. I perfer to get on with life and worry about things that actually have a good chance of happening.

Virago
13th February 2010, 11:48
... I perfer to get on with life and worry about things that actually have a good chance of happening.

I'm sure that's what drunk-drivers think too. However, when we speed, we put others at risk too - just like the drunk.

Playing around with statistics doesn't mitigate the risks. Social responsibility must be weighed against individual choice.

Mikkel
13th February 2010, 11:52
http://xkcd.com/605/

Thank you, that was indeed the point :)

swbarnett
13th February 2010, 14:53
I'm sure that's what drunk-drivers think too.
While I'm not advocating drunk driving, to some degree they are right. Do we, as a society, really have a drink drving problem?

However, when we speed, we put others at risk too - just like the drunk.
That depnds on where and when. It's not an absolute. Besides, we put others at risk just by hitting the road. I hope you're not suggesting we stop driving?

Playing around with statistics doesn't mitigate the risks.
No, it doesn't. That's not the point. Statistics is a tool that can allow one to approximate the real risk based on the past experience of others. It allows us to evaluate risk and only worry about what is actually likely to happen. Once we have decided what is the most important risk and eliminated it we move on to the next most likely event and so on. The trouble is that the human brain does not know when to stop. We find ourselves at the point where we have eliminated all the real risks so we are down to worrying about the unlikely.

Social responsibility must be weighed against individual choice
I agree whole heartedly. However, I think that today the balance is too far towords social responsibility.

Ixion
13th February 2010, 15:04
I'm sure that's what drunk-drivers think too. However, when we speed, we put others at risk too - just like the drunk.

That's far from a universal statement. We choose when and where we speed , and it is quite possible to do it only when circumstances are such that no one else can possible be affected. Whereas the drunk is drunk from journey's beginning to journey's end - he can't say, "oh other traffic, built up area I'll sober up here"

Playing around with statistics doesn't mitigate the risks. Social responsibility must be weighed against individual choice.

"Social responsibility" is almost always a weasel phrase used the the politically correct, to mean "I'm not interested in doing that, so you shouldn't be allowed to"

red mermaid
13th February 2010, 15:21
No its not, it is recognising that you are not alone in life and you have many responsibilties and your actions have a reaction.

But then from a person who is into Bikers "Rights" I wouldn't expect you to acknowledge you have a responsibility to society and to stop spreading your selfish message.

"Social responsibility" is almost always a weasel phrase used the the politically correct, to mean "I'm not interested in doing that, so you shouldn't be allowed to"

Muppet
14th February 2010, 18:10

I can't think of one.

So all other emergency services can exceed the speed limit, just not police. I see. I'm guessing you've either been locked up or had a few tickets,which one is it please? Jesus Christ, if you have to be told the resaon police speed, then I think you're rantings are a departure from reality. If you ever have a burglar breaking into your house be sure to tell the police not to hurry in case they do themselves a mischief . Now go and have a nice cup of tea and a lie down:yawn:, there's a good chap.