PDA

View Full Version : Mental Health Day

Maha
11th February 2010, 10:14
Never in my 29-30 years of working at the same job have I ever thought about taking a MHD.
Today though, I am.
The last two days have been a real effort in more ways than one.
I allowed three days to do the contracted job 45 mins north of here.
Got it done in two days, didnt want to go back for a third day of complete quiet.
I work alone (thats not the problem) and on the whole, its ok, there are normally other people around somewhere be it customers or builders or other subbies.
But over the last two day (8 hours the first day and 7 hours the 2nd day) there was nothing!
I found it a really hard environment to work in, it was just me with no outside or extra sound.
During those hours, I talked to nobody, its a very hard thing to do. I found myself saying out loud '' fuck im bored with this job''. It was difficult to stay concerntrated on the job at hand.

Today, I have been to the supermarket three times already, getting that much needed public fix.

Str8 Jacket
11th February 2010, 10:17
We used to call them 'Maori Day Off's' or MDO's..... I have been off work sick all fucken week and have finally succumbed to antibiotics. Wish I was having Hori day Off's as I am sick of sitting here looking at all the housework that needs doing! :(

Maha
11th February 2010, 10:20
We used to call them 'Maori Day Off's' or MDO's..... I have been off work sick all fucken week and have finally succumbed to antibiotics. Wish I was having Hori day Off's as I am sick of sitting here looking at all the housework that needs doing! :(

I'll get to the vaccuming later.....:whistle:

Tea is all sorted, Moroccan Lamb, the Super market didnt have Moroccan style Tomatoes so I got Sweet Chilli ones insteas.

mashman
11th February 2010, 10:21
time to roll out the single mans video tape collection me thinks...

Bounce001
11th February 2010, 10:24
Know what you are going through. When I first moved up here and was still looking for work, I used to go to the supermarket so I could talk to someone before my partner got home.

Now I work with people all around me all day and can't wait to get home for 30-40 mins peace and quiet/alone time before the rest of the house gets home.

Catch 22 really!

Quasievil
11th February 2010, 10:24
I'll get to the vaccuming later.....:whistle:

Tea is all sorted, Moroccan Lamb, the Super market didnt have Moroccan style Tomatoes so I got Sweet Chilli ones insteas.

Ya could go for a ride ???

Miscreant
11th February 2010, 10:26
Never in my 29-30 years of working at the same job have I ever thought about taking a MHD.
Today though, I am.
The last two days have been a real effort in more ways than one.
I allowed three days to do the contracted job 45 mins north of here.
Got it done in two days, didnt want to go back for a third day of complete quiet.
I work alone (thats not the problem) and on the whole, its ok, there are normally other people around somewhere be it customers or builders or other subbies.
But over the last two day (8 hours the first day and 7 hours the 2nd day) there was nothing!
I found it a really hard environment to work in, it was just me with no outside or extra sound.
During those hours, I talked to nobody, its a very hard thing to do. I found myself saying out loud '' fuck im bored with this job''. It was difficult to stay concerntrated on the job at hand.

Today, I have been to the supermarket three times already, getting that much needed public fix.

Jesus man, your company urgently needs to get you a laptop and mobile broadband connection so you can log on to kb at work.

CookMySock
11th February 2010, 10:33
Doesn't your own voice sound weird when you haven't heard it or any other voices for hours and hours.. :blink:

Steve

Kiwi Graham
11th February 2010, 10:33
Me thinks you should slip into some leather and and rack up some k's bro.
Saying that ist stinking hot in Auks today. how about grabbing your speedo's and hitting the beach, just remember the togs,togs, undies rule ;)

Maha
11th February 2010, 10:34
Jesus man, your company urgently needs to get you a laptop and mobile broadband connection so you can log on to kb at work.

I'll speak with boss about it....;)

I know some people work listening to iPods etc. I used to have a portable radio in the van and would rather use that, at least you can hear other things on, like people who are talking to you.

Mully
11th February 2010, 11:18
Mental Health Day?

For Maha?

Too little too late.....

That ship sailed a looooong time ago.

blackdog
11th February 2010, 11:41
i feel for ya man.

just check the thread i just posted u will see what i mean......

pritch
12th February 2010, 11:30
Doesn't your own voice sound weird when you haven't heard it or any other voices for hours and hours.. :blink:

Steve

Don't tell me you're still listening to the voices???:doctor:

IdunBrokdItAgin
12th February 2010, 11:55
I took a mental health day yesterday aswell.

Just because I got up and thought "fuck it, I can't be arsed".

3 Hours playing Modern Warfare 2 on-line (damn that game is addictive), and a good 3 hours on the bike (just for shits and giggles). 1 hour for a realxed lunch and I had a friggin awesome day!

Don't have a mental health day and sit around at home - do something selfish that is just for you!

Mom
12th February 2010, 12:12

How about a nice weekend away, no kids, no distractions, tropical paradise :D

That can be arranged.

kwaka_crasher
12th February 2010, 12:28

I'm the complete opposite. I can't be arsed with 99.99% of people. I'd happily go weeks without seeing another human other than the wife or close friends. People just complicate otherwise simple things.

slofox
12th February 2010, 15:07
I could do with a mental health year...not that it would do much good, probably...

SPman
12th February 2010, 15:29

I know some people work listening to iPods etc. I used to have a portable radio in the van and would rather use that, at least you can hear other things on, like people who are talking to you.
I used to have a portable stereo...in the afternoon I'd put on thrash metal...Slayer, Testament, Guttermouth, whatever! The energy in the music boosted me through the dead spots, and also kept every other sod, (salesmen,supervisors, etc) well away form the site!
I like working by myself!
Embrace the solitude - it's good for the soul.