PDA

View Full Version : PC upgrades?

DingoZ
12th February 2010, 01:11
Okay anyone know of where I might go in the Wellington region for a personal computer upgrade.

Or if there is somewhere/someone that does tower upgrades, I am wanting to swap, or upgrade a tower pc, to a faster, system.

Cheers

mynameis
12th February 2010, 11:06
If you're looking at just adding more Ram then it's pretty simple just buy the right one plug it in and see the changes in speed. Simple few minutes job.

firefighter
12th February 2010, 11:31
Rediculously easy to do, rediculously expensive to pay to get it done.

We were quoted $200 labour. All we wanted was to update the ram. I have a friend at work who works part time on computers, and he showed me what to do. It literally takes 2 mins, and the long bit is unscrewing the bolts on the case. The ram itself is worth fuck-all.

That's $1200 an hour. I worked that being generous at him taking 10 mins to do it. (I dunno how it would take that long but whatever.)

Okay anyone know of where I might go in the Wellington region for a personal computer upgrade.

Or if there is somewhere/someone that does tower upgrades, I am wanting to swap, or upgrade a tower pc, to a faster, system.

Cheers

If you're looking at just adding more Ram then it's pretty simple just buy the right one plug it in and see the changes in speed. Simple few minutes job.

DingoZ
12th February 2010, 11:42
No not looking at just upgrading the ram, looking at a total upgrade. But specifically as a gaming/internet machine

mashman
12th February 2010, 11:45
If you tell me what you wanna do, i'll take piccies and send you a how to if ya like. You can build a PC from scratch in about 20 minutes.

mashman
12th February 2010, 11:45
No not looking at just upgrading the ram, looking at a total upgrade. But specifically as a gaming/internet machine

what level of gaming? Are you talking multiple graphics cards? New graphics card is easier than upgrading RAM.

DingoZ
12th February 2010, 12:01
Needed as a bare minimum to run Eve, which is the only game played.

•CPU: Intel Pentium® or AMD dual core @ 2 GHz
•RAM: 2 GB
•HD space: 6gig Free Space
•Network capable
•Video: 256 MB Shader Model 3.0 Graphics cards such as GeForce 8 class card or higher, ATi 3000 series or higher and Similar chips from other manufacturers
•Drivers: DirectX® 9.0c (included) and latest video drivers
• DVd Writer/reader

The minimum screen resolution for EVE is 1024x768.
Audio hardware must support SSE and be Direct Sound compatible. For optimum performance, use latest drivers available.

Thats what I need as a bare minimum. Current is a DEll Inspiron 2400 with a Celeron CPU 2.4ghz 256 mb of ram, machine is a few years old now, and just doesn;'t cut it anymore).

Fub@r
12th February 2010, 12:25
CPU: E6600 @3ghz $150
Ram: 2 gig @800mhz $70
HDD: 500 gig $80
Video: 9800GT $150
Mobo: Allow $150
PSU: 500watt $100

Total $700

Basic build been 2 yrs since I built my last one so a bit out of step as to whats best value at present.

As said above 20min to put together. For your first time build prob take an hour just so you can take your time and be careful :) Once you have built one you'll kick yourself as to why you hadn't done it before

For parts shopping www.pricespy.co.nz is your friend

mynameis
12th February 2010, 12:27

•CPU: Intel Pentium® or AMD dual core @ 2 GHz
•RAM: 2 GB
•HD space: 6gig Free Space
•Network capable
•Video: 256 MB Shader Model 3.0 Graphics cards such as GeForce 8 class card or higher, ATi 3000 series or higher and Similar chips from other manufacturers
•Drivers: DirectX® 9.0c (included) and latest video drivers
• DVd Writer/reader

Audio hardware must support SSE and be Direct Sound compatible. For optimum performance, use latest drivers available.

Thats what I need as a bare minimum. Current is a DEll Inspiron 2400 with a Celeron CPU 2.4ghz 256 mb of ram, machine is a few years old now, and just doesn;'t cut it anymore).

I doubt those new specs pieces will fit in your old motherboard, you're more than likely looking at a new PC.

Have a play on dell.co.nz mate, they aren't too bad.

Bald Eagle
12th February 2010, 12:27
Rediculously easy to do, rediculously expensive to pay to get it done.

We were quoted $200 labour. All we wanted was to update the ram. I have a friend at work who works part time on computers, and he showed me what to do. It literally takes 2 mins, and the long bit is unscrewing the bolts on the case. The ram itself is worth fuck-all.

That's $1200 an hour. I worked that being generous at him taking 10 mins to do it. (I dunno how it would take that long but whatever.)

Like the engineer and the hammer joke it's $5 bucks to do it and $195 bucks for knowing what to do. :lol:

mashman
12th February 2010, 13:18
CPU: E6600 @3ghz $150
Ram: 2 gig @800mhz $70
HDD: 500 gig $80
Video: 9800GT $150
Mobo: Allow $150
PSU: 500watt $100

Total $700

Basic build been 2 yrs since I built my last one so a bit out of step as to whats best value at present.

As said above 20min to put together. For your first time build prob take an hour just so you can take your time and be careful :) Once you have built one you'll kick yourself as to why you hadn't done it before

For parts shopping www.pricespy.co.nz is your friend

Best way to do it... If you get stuck Dingoz, i'm more than happy to give you a hand... well direct you as my personal slave :buggerd:

golfmade
12th February 2010, 13:19
If you're able at all to work with and tinker with your bike then a computer shouldn't be too hard. Plenty of how-to guides online and people around here (myself including) would be more then happy to help you put it together. Save a ton of money as people have noted and you get the satisfaction of building your own PC.

PirateJafa
12th February 2010, 14:03

Good taste, that man.

PirateJafa
12th February 2010, 14:16

You'd want far more than that to comfortably play Eve, however. I run it at 1920x1200 on my 24" monitor, and that is *about* the right size.

SMOKEU
12th February 2010, 14:28
New graphics card is easier than upgrading RAM.

It took me about 1 hour to fit a new video card. The video card is so big I had to take the hard drives out and move them all around, I had to lose the CD burner, the ram had to move, the IDE and SATA cables all had to move as well. I had to lose the floppy drive. It's a relatively standard size ATX case.

TerminalAddict
12th February 2010, 14:50
i7's are the way to go now ... so many cores :eek5:

Ronin
12th February 2010, 17:14
With all due respect to the "it's a five minute job" crowd. It you are going to try it your self, get someone who knows what they are doing to give you a hand. There are so many easy ways to fuck the gear you are trying to install.

PM me if you like. Will do you a deal.

chester
12th February 2010, 17:43
Im getting this built for next week:

i7 920 2.66 GHz quad core cpu
asus p6t intel x58 motherboard
2x gtx 260 graphics cards
6GB memory
1TB hard drive
24x dual layer dvd writer
windows 7 pro 64 bit
cooler master 850w power supply
+ case

DingoZ
12th February 2010, 19:37

6GB memory
1TB hard drive
windows 7 pro 64 bit
+ case

And the price would be ....???

SMOKEU
12th February 2010, 19:51

6GB memory
1TB hard drive
windows 7 pro 64 bit
+ case

That setup will go insanely hard.

chester
12th February 2010, 19:58
will be approx $3000

sosman
12th February 2010, 19:59
It took me about 1 hour to fit a new video card. The video card is so big I had to take the hard drives out and move them all around, I had to lose the CD burner, the ram had to move, the IDE and SATA cables all had to move as well. I had to lose the floppy drive. It's a relatively standard size ATX case.

quallman1234
6th April 2010, 00:47
Hey dingoz, i can give you a hand. Done many builds including some fairly expensive ones from ground up from work. Like it has been said, your probabaly going to basically have to start from scartch as your current motherboard won't be able to be upgradeable too far.

At one point the cost of assembly and buy seperate parts yourself was far far less than buying the same spec'd one from dell etc. However these days, it's kinda of equalled out a bit, and there is no great advantage of building your own.