PDA

View Full Version : Weapons stolen from Waiouru Army Museum!

nudemetalz
12th February 2010, 06:53
Apparently from a curator !!
If you can't trust them, who can you trust !!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/3318605/More-thefts-from-Army-Museum

A Waiouru Army Museum curator has been sacked after being convicted of stealing weapons from its collections.

Malcolm Stewart Evans, known as Joe Evans, pleaded guilty to three charges of theft after an 1890s Enfield sniper rifle valued at $10,000 and two bayonets were found at his Waiouru home last July. He was sentenced to four months' home detention.

The museum later got back 17 weapons and other items it did not know were missing.

Evans, 46, was charged with theft in Ohakune District Court in July and was dismissed after he was sentenced in Palmerston North District Court on November 10.

In December 2007, 96 medals, including nine Victoria Crosses, were stolen from the museum. They were returned after a reward was posted. The two crimes were unrelated.

The museum denied yesterday that the weapons thefts had been covered up. Museum director Colonel Ray Seymour said the case had been dealt with in open court.

He had not made a public statement at the time as it was not his responsibility to issue information on everything that happened at the museum.

Colonel Seymour said a complaint was laid with the police after items were found to be missing from the museum.

After the rifle and bayonets were found, police offered Evans an amnesty and the other weapons were returned. The museum had not been aware that the other weapons were missing, as an inventory check had not been done.

Colonel Seymour said he did not know how much the missing weapons were worth.

Security had been tightened and an inventory of the museum's huge collections was being done, he said.

Army spokesman Major Kristian Dunne said the thefts were "the ultimate betrayal a curator can make".

Detective Graham Parsons of Ohakune said the stolen property was found in an extensive military collection in the attic of Evans' Waiouru home.

The Army News reported in 2001 that Evans was made a fellow of the New Zealand Society of Gunsmiths in recognition of his interest in the conservation of historic firearms. He was an army ammunition technician before being appointed assistant curator of weapons and ammunition in the mid 90s.

Gone Awol

Weapons returned to the army museum in an amnesty:

SMLE No 1 Mk III rifle (Lithgow 1927) – brackets show manufacturer and date

SMLE No 1 Mk III rifle (BSA 1908)

Lee Enfield No 5 Mk I carbine (Fazakerly 1944)

Lee Enfield Mk I rifle (BSA 1901)

Fabricated Lee Enfield Mk I

NZMR pattern carbine

Two German Kar 98 K rifles 7.92mm

Lee Enfield No 4 Mk I (T) rifle (M47C 1943) – sniper rifle

Ad Feedback Colt AR-15 rifle 5.56mm – Vietnam vintage semi-automatic

Lee Enfield No 4 Mk I rifle (Long Branch 1942)

Lee Enfield No 4 Mk I rifle (Fazakerly 1943)

Chrome Plated British P1907 bayonet

British L1A2 bayonet

Fairbairn Sykes commando dagger

SMLE No 1 Mk I rifle (Enfield 1918)

Lee Enfield No 4 Mk I rifle (Long Branch 1942)

British P1853 cavalry trooper's sword with scabbard

British P1896 infantry officer's sword with scabbard

Inert USA BLU61A/B bomblet

USA M9 bayonet with scabbard

SMLE short magazine

Lee Enfield Gun dealer John Howat said most were common in the two world wars and were popular with collectors.

They would be worth up to $1000 each

mynameis
12th February 2010, 11:06
Ouch !! + 10 char

R6_kid
12th February 2010, 11:58
You have to wonder what he was planning on doing with them... If you are tasked with looking after them at work then you'd feel like they were 'yours' in terms of responsibility anyway - taking them home wouldn't change anything unless you had intention to use them or sell them.

peasea
12th February 2010, 15:22
You have to wonder what he was planning on doing with them....

I wonder if he hangs out with Tama Iti.

peasea
12th February 2010, 15:26
You have to wonder what he was planning on doing with them... If you are tasked with looking after them at work then you'd feel like they were 'yours' in terms of responsibility anyway - taking them home wouldn't change anything unless you had intention to use them or sell them.

Perhaps he was unhappy at work, making them weapons of man's disgruntlement.

Skyryder
12th February 2010, 16:01
I think he's got a penis problem like it don't work or is too small and the rifle barrels are some kind of compensation.

Skyryder