PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Harley XL1200X

HenryDorsetCase
12th February 2010, 12:26
One of the things I admire about HD is that they really do look at who buys their product, and they build stuff that they think they might like.

With the demise of the retarded "long bike" choppers most of the custom stuff seems to be bobbers and baggers these days. Picking up on the bobber trend (and stuff like Exile and the Japanese HD customisers (Bratstyle and Zero) HD have produced this XL1200X for this year.

I think its a fine looking bike, and is one of the HD models I would consider buying with my own money. Am considering buying with my own money.

The only thing I dont really like is the forward mounted pegs. I think mid mount pegs like the Nightster are more me, but being an HD, thats easy to change.

It also looks great in Orange.

I am going to test ride a few next week when the demo fleet hits town for the HOG rally. The Forty Eight is a new model so wont be here yet. Wonder what the $10500 MSRP will become here?

Omega1
12th February 2010, 15:16
I with you on this one, I really like the XR1200 just waiting on a few good second hand examples to turn up at the local dealer as its the only sportster I'd seriously consider owning. I haven't ridden one yet but it is number two on the list of thing to so shortly and it will be interesting to see what they are like compared to my XB12R. Yeah, I like the look of the nightster but have wondered if its a little to low in the arse end for me.

sinfull
12th February 2010, 15:32
One going dirt cheap down these ways at the mo !
Think the guy has a big block as well and could be a case of needing to cash up

Big Dave
12th February 2010, 16:41
They are a good fun little bike. You can pin the throttle and not worry about the pingas so much. Cornering clearances aren't that flash - offset is it's all very low.

Subike
12th February 2010, 16:51
Ihave to laugh at that bike when I saw it.
Nothing wrong with it, a nice ride
but the style
well my custom XS1100 has the same style and only owes me $5k
I have noticed in the past 2 years this style has come to the forfront from many suppliers
Ilike the style, the look and the name,
but when you can build something that looks just as good, and is a custom
then sadley give me an 80's naked bike and I will build a custom look alike that is a individual as the person who rides it.
With this HD XK1200X, you buy a look, and a great ride, but so can the man that walks into the shop behind you.
I believe that good custom bikes anre the inmagineation of the owner.
not a design team intent on making sales and increasing share value for a company that insome ways is still following the trends, not leading them

AllanB
12th February 2010, 16:53
There was one all plated-up sitting outside Rolling Thunder today - the black one. Think it is a demo bike.

It is certainly a horny looking piece of motorcycle.

Funny thing is, it looks like my mental 'project HD' - you know the one I was going to built in the future after the kids left home and I regained a disposable income ........... mind you by that time I'll still be able to buy one of those 'old' 2010 ones and restore it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On reflection and photo inspection it may not be that exact bike - pretty sure it had a 19 inch front wheel - same pipes with holes in the heat shields etc.

HenryDorsetCase
12th February 2010, 17:12
Likely a Nightster. Stupid name but a cool looking piece of kit.

martybabe
12th February 2010, 17:30
Well thanks for the thread, I'm about to buy a Harley (most probably the XR1200) but I've never heard of a 48, don't know how that one slipped by me, I'm off to the Harley site. It does look gorgeous but I'm with BD, it does look mighty low and scrape able, i don't suppose it's anywhere near the claimed 90 horses of the Xr either....but it looks so nice...but it's not practical...but it looks so nice :crazy:

Motu
12th February 2010, 18:49
Definitely a Harley I would own...I don't like forward pegs,but easily changed.

martybabe
14th February 2010, 19:42
It's not listed on the Aus/NZ Harley site so I guess we're not getting it this year. Checked the stats on the yankee site and it's only 3.9 inches off the ground, don't know what that is in metric but you'd be hard pushed to get a possum under it. back to the xr1200 or fxd then, save that one for the future.

carver
14th February 2010, 20:29
letsa hope it aint as shit as the nightster

scumdog
14th February 2010, 20:36

Pffft, for a man about to do a lot of walking it shouldn't really concern you...:rofl::killingme:shutup::whistle:

carver
15th February 2010, 05:44
Pffft, for a man about to do a lot of walking it shouldn't really concern you...:rofl::killingme:shutup::whistle:

haha, that does not affect the truth

Big Dave
15th February 2010, 06:11
Limited vision Carver.
Nightster suits a number of different riders/profiles.
You have to ride from their point of view.

Compact people and a lot of women riders benefit from a short bike.
Returning riders are well suited by its power output.
There's people out there who *want* to do the speed limit too.
Pretty good bike for them.

For you it's shit. The pillion accommodation is terrible!

HenryDorsetCase
15th February 2010, 13:47

here you go, buddy. By the time you get a licence back, you'll see the wisdom of buying these:

Make sure you pay your lawyer, OK?

carver
15th February 2010, 18:17
Limited vision Carver.
Nightster suits a number of different riders/profiles.
You have to ride from their point of view.

Compact people and a lot of women riders benefit from a short bike.
Returning riders are well suited by its power output.
There's people out there who *want* to do the speed limit too.
Pretty good bike for them.

For you it's shit. The pillion accommodation is terrible!

It is good if you like your ass being pounded my the firm rear end.
or if you like waking up with wood en brakes

you know the deal, roll over..

here you go, buddy. By the time you get a licence back, you'll see the wisdom of buying these:

http://www.walkingonacloud.com/xq/aspx/rieker/ID.252278/CategoryID.542/qx/detail.htm

Make sure you pay your lawyer, OK?

nice shoes actually!

i will find one of these

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Other/auction-271921115.htm

Big Dave
15th February 2010, 18:56
>>It is good if you like your ass being pounded my the firm rear end.
or if you like waking up with wood en brakes<<

The 'arsh rear end comes with the territory though - on all of them that have the saddle at the same height as my kneecap. It's a cruiser manufacturer thing - a contest for the lowest seat. No room for travel.

I'm just doing a Honda Fury write up - it has 3.7 inches of rear travel and it's like they tout it as a feature. Some bikes have that as static sag.

I've ridden two of 'em XL's - one's brakes were a bit woody, other was fine and dandeee.

Mudfart
15th February 2010, 19:32
Ive been reading a couple of reveiws about this bike, its got the 8 ltr tank right?
How does that work for a 1.2ltr engine? Wouldnt you have to fill up a lot?
Also as someone else said, I also dont like the forward pegs and if you custom them more to underneath the seat, might you be compromising cornering angles?
I do like the new XR1200 though, its an upright harley, and has been getting real good reviews. Pretty good price too, only 3 or 4 grand more than an 883 sportster, from brand new!

BIG DOUG
15th February 2010, 21:08
Just read a test in the latest cycle source and the tester does complain about it being to low and this from an american they normally like them low ,and the first nightsters in nz and oz where low as well and people complained hence we get the longer shocks on the nightsters sold here also it is hard to see in the photos but it has a cool fork brace and front guard mount nice bike but I think I'll keep my xr1200 and they won't be due until later this year.

Shadows
15th February 2010, 22:47
i don't suppose it's anywhere near the claimed 90 horses of the Xr either

The XR in stock trim isn't anywhere near the claimed 90 horse either - if you measure it at the back wheel where it counts.

Budget for another $2k worth of parts and about 6 hours of dyno-tuning.

BIG DOUG
16th February 2010, 05:57
no the xr isn't close to 90hp but I have a 2-1 ex on mine and a pro tuner and raised the rev limit to 7500rpm and it scares the hell out of jappers on track days due to its good brakes and you can just pin it out of corners and no it ain't going to throw you off a lot of fun lol.