PDA

View Full Version : iPhone jailbreak?

Trudes
15th February 2010, 10:29
Should I or shouldn't I?
I've read many conflicting messages,
Pros: you can make it do all sorts of cool shit, like play personalised text and ring tones, free apps, change all the screens and icons to customised ones, download a video camera etc etc.... a whole lot of stuff I felt was missing on it.
Cons: every time there is a new version of itunes it stuffs up the jailbreak and restores all the old settings so you have to constantly re break it, if you don't pick the correct version and downloads to hack the phone it'll freeze, it voids your warranty (I have phone insurance through Vodafone, I assume it voids that too??), people can hack into your phone and upload viruses on it etc etc.

Do you have an iphone? Have you jailbroken it? Good, bad, indifferent?
Help please!
Cheers. :)

CookMySock
15th February 2010, 10:41
This is just one of those things you KNOW you have to do. If you can go back easily, then do it.

Steve

SpankMe
15th February 2010, 10:49
Sell it and buy a Nexus One.

TerminalAddict
15th February 2010, 12:21
it's fun the first time, coz it's new and exciting.
But everytime after that you feel somewhat ripped off .. "Do I really need to do this, just to experience what I used to experience?"

I have a jail broken phone, if I every get a 3gs I will not jail break it .. I'l pay $2.50 for the two extra apps I use

Brian d marge
15th February 2010, 13:44
I have Jailbroken mine

Ra1nman ( depends on the version u have ) it allows you to do several things Iphone blocks , for me it was tethering SSH and a few other things

ON saying that i reinstalled and went back to a non Jailbroken phone because backgrounder ( letting multi tasking work) caused my battery to run down quickly - I think it was backgrounder )

I will jail break mine again today because of the tethering and some other apps u cant get with Apple

I am ok with the iphone but Spank is right the nexus one or the samsung is much better ( I can never understand why ALL of the companys produce the latest and greates then leave a vital part out ,,,they all do it )

oh well

I would recomend to jail break the phone , because you can always Un break it

Stephen

SpankMe
15th February 2010, 14:17
Apple iPhone 3GS and HTC Nexus One: side by side (http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Apple-iPhone-3GS-and-HTC-Nexus-One-side-by-side-review-r_2375.htm)

Number One
15th February 2010, 15:13
Sorry Trudes I totally misread the title! I thought you were saying that your iphone could 'assist' with jailbrakes - I was going to book in a rain check ;)

k14
15th February 2010, 15:38
Apple iPhone 3GS and HTC Nexus One: side by side (http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Apple-iPhone-3GS-and-HTC-Nexus-One-side-by-side-review-r_2375.htm)
What a pointless article! I'm pretty sure I will be buying an iphone in the next month or two. The nexus is definately a superior piece of hardware and has a more versatile operating system but you just can't beat firstly the music player/ipod function of the iphone (seeing as I have an ipod and all my music arranged in itunes already) and secondly the amount of programs etc available in the apple store. In 2-3 years the android store will probably be close to apple but at the moment it leaves a lot to be desired.

Don't get my wrong, I am no apple fanboy and hate itunes with passion. But you have to admit that apple has got it right, there are several shortcomings of the iphone which the google phone certainly makes up in most areas but software is where its at. Jailbreak? At the moment I don't think it is possible with the latest version that I would probably get on a new iphone, if it becomes available I will probably try it. Unless you are a geek it probably doesn't have too many advantages, although I haven't looked into it too deeply.

Kiwi Graham
15th February 2010, 16:49
Thinking about changing my Blackberry 8100 to the HTC Touch pro 2.
Should I or shouldn't I?

crazyhorse
15th February 2010, 16:59
Jail breaking, sounds like something left to the crims :rofl:

Usarka
15th February 2010, 16:59
Like the game - if you lose go to jail.

Trudes
15th February 2010, 17:16
So you can unbreak it if you hate it or it does shitty stuff?
Would be nice to have Flashplayer.... fucking Apple! Seriously! The number of websites that I can't open on my iPhone because they have a teeny tiny animated thing run by Flash pisses me off!

Trudes
30th April 2010, 18:42
:crybaby: :weep:
I'm having withdraws!!! I didn't jailbreak my phone thankfully, however the latest "upgrade" version 3.1.3...1..3..5797743 whatever the fuck it was broke my phone!!!
Battery suddenly only lasted half as long, WiFi disappeared, Bluetooth no go (never did anyway, fucking thing!) and then it stopped recieveing MMS. So after a few weeks of getting a bit pissed off with having to charge my phone everynight I took it in to Vodafone and they have sent it awayyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Now I'm using a borrowed Blackberry brick and having withdrawal issues! :laugh:
Hopefully I get a new phone with only a month left on my warranty ;) or at the very least they fix all its issues, uninstall the stupid upgrade shit and send it back sooner than the 6 weeks they warned it may take.... arrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Help me.... I need chocolate :(

SMOKEU
30th April 2010, 19:39
I wouldn't buy any phone that's not a flip-top. The screen will be fucked within a matter of weeks.

Trudes
30th April 2010, 20:34
The screen on my iphone is the only thing that ain't fucked!

Insanity_rules
30th April 2010, 21:52
:crybaby: :weep:
I'm having withdraws!!! I didn't jailbreak my phone thankfully, however the latest "upgrade" version 3.1.3...1..3..5797743 whatever the fuck it was broke my phone!!!
Battery suddenly only lasted half as long, WiFi disappeared, Bluetooth no go (never did anyway, fucking thing!) and then it stopped recieveing MMS. So after a few weeks of getting a bit pissed off with having to charge my phone everynight I took it in to Vodafone and they have sent it awayyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Now I'm using a borrowed Blackberry brick and having withdrawal issues! :laugh:
Hopefully I get a new phone with only a month left on my warranty ;) or at the very least they fix all its issues, uninstall the stupid upgrade shit and send it back sooner than the 6 weeks they warned it may take.... arrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Help me.... I need chocolate :(

You know I always liked the idea of the iphone but the reality really sucked. Everytime they came out with an upgrade it did something even more annoying, It was hard to carry in my pocket, the apps never live up to the hype. Oh and the upgrade routine screwed with my phone three times. That device was a huge time waster trying to keep it running. But I loved it right up till the last firmware update killed it and apple blamed me (I'm a very educated computer engineer!) I finally found a fix on the internet that forced the forced restore to work.

I now love my E series Nokia even more. The firmware updates work everytime, the GPS is better, The apps do what they say they will and i can fit it in my pocket.

Trudes
1st May 2010, 05:07
You know I always liked the idea of the iphone but the reality really sucked. Everytime they came out with an upgrade it did something even more annoying, It was hard to carry in my pocket, the apps never live up to the hype. Oh and the upgrade routine screwed with my phone three times. That device was a huge time waster trying to keep it running. But I loved it right up till the last firmware update killed it and apple blamed me (I'm a very educated computer engineer!) I finally found a fix on the internet that forced the forced restore to work.

I now love my E series Nokia even more. The firmware updates work everytime, the GPS is better, The apps do what they say they will and i can fit it in my pocket.
I still have another year to go on my contract!!! But after that I may just have to look a little harder at something like what you have. As much as I love my iphone, something that does the same things but isn't ruled by apple and their stupid bloody updates would be nice. Cheers. :)

Smifffy
1st May 2010, 10:38

A couple years back I got the 160Gb Ipod - mainly cos I wanted all of that space to save photos to while I was travelling. The experience has left me never wanting to own another apple product again, ever.

Mainly because I got it at the duty free in Melbourne airport (after security) and when I was having issues with it, and called customer support they told me I had to take it back to the exact shop I bought it from.

DOH. No amount of discussion could sway them on that point. Pretty fuckin hopeless for a "global" company imo.

Took a lot of internet forum searching and some software/firmware niggling before getting it to work. I will no longer let that itunes crap anywhere near my pc either.

Obviously a lot of people love apple products and are very happy with them, not me. I like my N series Nokia enough.

Brian d marge
1st May 2010, 12:08
agreed

As much as I love the phone its just something about the draconian apple that I dont like

I mean it does everything i want
I have ordered the HTC Desire with android 2.1 its about the same size as I phone but its out of Apples hands ....

Stephen

boman
1st May 2010, 19:35
Thank you people, you have cured my want of an iPhone. For this deed I must thank you all very much.

Blackshear
1st May 2010, 19:50
What's that? To make your iPhone worth the money, you need to void the warranty? (Easily reverted - provided you didn't brick the damn thing).

Tut tut tut.

Trudes
5th May 2010, 20:27
My hand feels normal once more as it has my iPhone attached again!! :woohoo:
Not bad I have to say, just over a week since taking my old phone in to Vodafone I have a replaced iPhone. Everything seems to be working as it should.... I can step away from the chocolate now. ;)

breakaway
5th May 2010, 20:52
I have a iPhone and have never had any of these problems. The lack of flash is a real bitch, but other than that no problems at all.