PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Tenere with 49L XT600 transplant - Reg/Rectifier wiring question

Peril
15th February 2010, 19:46
I have bought a "new" engine to replace the basketcase engine currently in the Tenere.
What I have got,is a 49L XT600 engine.
My Tenere has a 4 pin plug going to the reg/rec with 3 white wires and a red which goes off to a 2 pin plug with the neutral light wire.
The "new" engine only has two white reg/rec wires and no red.
Am I able to use the Tenere reg/rec with the two white wires instead of the 3? And will it matter if that red wire is not connected?
From looking at the wiring diagram,the red wire heads up to the ignition barrel once it leaves the 2 pin plug.Could this wire have something to do with the electric start?
Or would I be better off saving myself a headache and try to find the proper reg/rec for this engine?

hmmmnz
15th February 2010, 20:03
i would rip the charging ststem from the old engine and put it in your new one,
the alternator ect isnt designed to run much on the xt engine

Peril
15th February 2010, 20:07
Not that easy to do,the Tenere stator mounts differently and the flywheel cover on the Tenere is designed to fit a starter motor into it.Can be done,but it wont be ideal.

Motu
15th February 2010, 20:18
So the Tenere was electric start and the XT600 kick start? I did the same thing fitting a kick start engine in to my electric start.The kick start alt is lower output,and you are right,you can't fit the other stator.You need a 3 wire reg - I used an aftermarket tractor rec/reg,made for a Kubota,it has fins and is better than the Yamaha one.Availabe from any auto sparky.You might also have a different ign system....what year is the XT engine? '86 was the old system....they changed around '88 maybe.

Peril
15th February 2010, 20:23
This Tenere was the first of the electric start engines,still had kick start as backup.
The 49L is supposedly '84,but the Australian Yamaha site seems to think it's an '87,so no idea.
So the Kubota set up will have 2 wires for my white ones and a red for the battery,correct?

Would the old reg still work if I hooked into any of the 3 white wire pins? As they're still only inputs?

Motu
15th February 2010, 21:24
You could try if you aren't worried about frying anything.I tried to use my 4 wire on the 2 wire alt because they use the same plug....and fried the reg.The 2 wire has 2 yellow or white wires from the stator,one red to the battery and one earth wire.

Peril
16th February 2010, 06:04
Cheers Motu,I'll see if I can source something.