PDA

View Full Version : ZXR Headlight question

placidfemme
10th May 2005, 14:35
Hi,

I'm looking at installing some LED lights under the tail section of my bike. I've already brought the LED's and the instructions say to attach the connecting wires to the same connection as the headlight.

I havn't taken my bike apart yet, and would like some instruction on where I can find these connections.

Which side faring do I need to remove? What does it look like? Is it an easy job? Would I need help? any particular tools I might need?

Thanks in Advance...

P.S. A picture of my bike is below.

placidfemme
10th May 2005, 14:36
Oh... why does it say R Rated Image?

jazbug5
10th May 2005, 14:42
Did you check the box saying 'contains nudity'?
Can be mistaken as a further step to attaching your image...

bugjuice
10th May 2005, 14:43
welcome to the site ;)
this'd probably be one of those things where if you were sure about what you're doing, might not be the best to attack it alone. I'd be more tempted to wire it up as a seperate circuit with a switch so you can switch it on and off when you want. I wired up my brothers' CBR like this. Get someone to give you a hand if you're not sure, and watch and learn from them. To someone who is learning, it's not as easy/straight forward as it might seem, but it's not rocket science either. Just be careful where you poke stuff!

no idea on the 'R' rated bit tho

vifferman
10th May 2005, 14:55
Hi, placidfemme! :spudwave:

Welcome to Kiwi Biker.

You could come along to the spanner evening at Motohaus on Thursday night - I'm sure someone there could help you out. :yes:

Failing that, I dunno your bike, but usually the taillight lens has a couple of screws holding it on; these will be either on the outside somehwere, in recesses in the lens, or on the inside under the seat. Remove these, then the bulb(s) should be accessible.
From the sounds of it, your new LED thing has a bayonet fitting on it, like a bulb has? If so, then it's a matter of removing a bulb from your taillight by pushing it in slightly and twisting it anticlockwise, then plug in the LED one by pushing it in to the bulb holder and turning it clockwise. (Note that sometimes the bulbs are held in place, and the wires to them are the ones with bayonet fittings, but the principle's the same).
Then you may need to sort out a way of fitting the LED holder thingo (technical term) so it's secure in the taillight.
If the LED thingo doesn't have a bayonet fitting on it, then a rethink and/or more info is required from you.

FROSTY
10th May 2005, 15:04
its easy peasy. I think they mean taillight wiring. and ya just lift the back seat and trace the wires back to the plug about 300mm from the taiilight -splice in there.
If ya get stuck i'll show ya how itll take about 2 minutes to suss where to splice into.

surfchick
10th May 2005, 15:08
hello!
mmm tasty bike

bugjuice
10th May 2005, 15:09
its easy peasy. I think they mean taillight wiring. and ya just lift the back seat and trace the wires back to the plug about 300mm from the taiilight -splice in there.
If ya get stuck i'll show ya how itll take about 2 minutes to suss where to splice into.
but make sure you get the right one, else the LEDs will show when you hit the brakes!
I find having a switch in the circuit somewhere means you don't always have to ride with them on.. something to bear in mind, if a fellow wo/man of the law should question your ghostly glow..

placidfemme
10th May 2005, 15:13
Hi,

Thanks for all the welcomes and the replies.

I don't think I gave enough information. The LED light looks like this:

http://202.21.128.4/photoserver/72/9743572_full.jpg

The guy I brought it from on Trade me said to hook it up to the headlight (front one). But I guess it makes more sense to connect it to the tail light somehow.

Where is the spanner evening at Motohaus? Unfortunatly, the only other person I know who rides bikes is my partner and I'm the one who got her into it... so she wouldn't be too much help as she knows less than I do...

I havn't recieved the LED yet, so I'm not sure what kind of connection it is. I've tried asking the guy who is selling it, but he wasn't very helpful and just commented to connect it to the headlight... very confusing.

My bike has a few add ons... after market pipe, quarter turn throttle, modified fuel line, honda clock and rev limiter... and I plan to keep upgrading it as I go seeing as I'm going to be stuck with it (as in a 250) for another year or so... The LED's being the cheapest and relativley easy option for the first slight mod...

I hope all that helps

thanks again

vifferman
10th May 2005, 15:23
I don't think I gave enough information. The LED light looks like this:

http://202.21.128.4/photoserver/72/9743572_full.jpg

Hmmm... doesn't help much, but they look more like those fluoro tubes than what I was expecting, which was LED taillights. In that case, you'll need to hook into the wires to the taillights, and leave the taillights in place. The easiest (and crudest) way is to get some of those blue connectors from Repco or SuperCheap Autos, and use those to splice into the wires, once you work out which ones they are, by tracing them back from the taillight. The trouble with this approach is that the blue thingos (technical term) basically bite through the insulation to make a contact, and this sometimes munters the wire. A better approach is to hook into it (solder, or new connector) at one of the plug ends. Piece of cake for someone who's done it before (like me), but a bit tricky if you're not sure. Hence the Spannering Soiree would be the ticket.

The guy I brought it from on Trade me said to hook it up to the headlight (front one). But I guess it makes more sense to connect it to the tail light somehow.
Quite right, that is more sensible.

Where is the spanner evening at Motohaus?
Motohaus is on Western Springs Road (Kingsland end), next door to Motomail.
The spannering evening is this Thursday, 7-9 PM.

I havn't recieved the LED yet, so I'm not sure what kind of connection it is. I've tried asking the guy who is selling it, but he wasn't very helpful and just commented to connect it to the headlight... very confusing.
I'm sure there's nothing that can't be fixed, with a bit of bodging.

My bike has a few add ons... after market pipe, quarter turn throttle, modified fuel line, honda clock and rev limiter... and I plan to keep upgrading it as I go seeing as I'm going to be stuck with it (as in a 250) for another year or so... The LED's being the cheapest and relativley easy option for the first slight mod...

Sounds good. :niceone:

The Tazman
10th May 2005, 15:42
:spudwave: placidfemme welcome to the site.

I would go to the Spanner evening. Good way to meet some of the croud and learn some things.

I'm going to have to see about one down this way as I am always up for learning new stuff to do with bikes.

take care

Taz

RPM91
10th May 2005, 16:50
I brought some LEDS from that haining guy to, All i did is wire the leds to the negative and positive on the battery and add a switch :D, you mite need a fuse tho it depends because by LEDS have trasistors in them and they are only single ones but I got 16 of them so i can fit them where eva i like :niceone:

placidfemme
10th May 2005, 17:24
Hi RPM91

I got the 20cm tube. It hasn't arrived yet, so I'm not sure how it works, just saw it on TradeMe and thought "why not?" lol

Where did you get the switch from and is it hard to hook them up? Do you have any pic's of your bike with the LED's and would recommend using single ones instead(and a few of them)?

RPM91
10th May 2005, 17:43
no dont have ne pics at the moment but the switch you can just get from any electornice shop that sells components, you just mite need a fuse since its a led tube, because my single ones have a transistor already in each of them so they just pretty much plug and play, but my m8 has put those tubes in his bike b4 and he needed a fuse for it

placidfemme
10th May 2005, 17:59
Sweet thanks