PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to give me their $0.02 worth re helmets?

Phurrball
10th May 2005, 15:49
Hi all,

I am currently agonising over which helmet I should be getting (Along with the first bike of course!)

Does anyone have any comments regards which helmets are good? I was hoping to spend in the order of $400 +/- a bit.

IMHO, I'm guessing that whichever helmet fits my noggin best, and is most comfortable is probably the best bet, as all helmets have to meet safety standards...

That not withstanding, the question is most directed at quality/value for money/any bits that give grief with any particular make/model. (I have noticed that people have strong views on this topic)

I have been looking at Nitro helmets with interest, as they seem well priced, and fit me pretty well - only concern is with the plasticy add ons, and whether they work, or if they just break...

Was looking at the web site http://www.nitro-helmets.com/ in addition to the local (Jafaland) bike shops. The site seems to offer impressively cheap prices. Has anyone purchased from this site? Do the helmets take long to arrive in NZ?

Thanks for bearing with my long inquisition :D - any help much appreciated!

Thanks, Ross/Phurrball

Paul in NZ
10th May 2005, 15:56
For me....

Make sure it has a good quality visor (cheaper in the long run)

Make sure it fits well.

keep it clean and change it reasonably often (me every 5 years or so)

I never buy the latest and greatest cos I can't afford it but there is always a deal on a 2 generation old Shoei or summat 'cos the fit is good. My AGV's interior detriorated after 4 years to un useable.

Check this out

http://www.obairlann.net/~reaper/motorcycle/beginner/helmets.html

This is Ok too. Some interesting links off it.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/howtobuyhelmet/

Cheers

wildcat_lgf
10th May 2005, 15:58
Wow, sounds like someone has a few penny's to spend? If the amount you are spending on a first helmet gives any indication on the bike your looking at buying I'd love to see it :)

But seriously...I got a great little Zeus helmet brand new from y_ild_1 on Trademe and it suits me just fine. It cost me $169 from memory, has some nice little air vents in the top, looks pretty stylie and all and so far so good. But someone might disagree?

Quasievil
10th May 2005, 16:36
jump on here and have a look

http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/

with your budget I would look at a KBC or a HJC.
I ride a KBC and am loving it to bits, known as the poor mans Arai, but I reckon better personally

Motu
10th May 2005, 17:50
An interesting discussion going on here as far as helmet testing is concerned.
snell bad,DOT good (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79001)

this is the first post.....

Great article in the June Motorcyclist issue comparing helmet rating systems. Based on latest head injury theorys by neurologists, and motorcycle accident stats, the gist was that Snell rating results in a helmet with too "stiff" a crush liner. The argument was that liners should be "softer" so to pass on fewer G's to the skull, and that Snell was geared to impacts of the highest 1% seen in accidents and did not absorb more G's in the most commonly seen scenarios. One of these proponents was even a former Snell Foundation director. The article was pretty convincing. They also compared the european and British standards, less "stiff" than Snell. Also tested were DOT only vs. Snell approved models from the same manufacturer, with better provided by the non-Snell rated helmets.

They also discovered that polycarbonate shell helmets transmit fewer G's than composite shell helmets, allowing the liners to absorb energy more efficiently. In fact one of the helmets transmitting the fewest G's was a polycarbonate Z1R DOT helmet selling for $89 ($79 on the 'net).

As a former helmet snob who never would have considered a non-Snell or ploycarbonate helmet, the argument was persuasive as hell. A must read.

Ms Piggy
10th May 2005, 17:55
I have an HJC and it's pretty good for the money - it cost me $200- (I think) but they're all cheaper now due to the duty tax (?) being lifted.

XTC
10th May 2005, 17:59
good mid price helmet is the hjc cl14. this helmet is very comfortable and tons quieter than my Arai. Good spares availability as every major town in nz is likely to have a stockist. try one on you will not be disapointed....

SuperDave
10th May 2005, 18:17
I bought the KBC TK-8 helmet for my first and current lid. It set me back approx $280 from memory. But a real comfortable helmet with functional 3 adjustable inlet vents as well as exhaust vents. They look pretty flash too.

I think the model up from mine is the TK-10. Had a look at one the other day and has a more 'Shoei' shape, also with better quality white perforated interior and padding that was very soft to the touch and felt like ultra soft leather. Saw them priced at Holeshot for $380.

[EDIT] Sorry, my mistake, it was not the TK-10, it was called the VR-1.

Sensei
10th May 2005, 18:24
You have not put how much you want to pay but , Shoei is about the best you can buy for the money

Sutage
10th May 2005, 19:42
Just make sure its full face!

justsomeguy
10th May 2005, 19:47
I'll be buying a HJC CL-14 soon to replace my bashed helmet. Best value for money in my opinion.

But with the amount you have to spend you should find a pretty nice helmet.

No idea what though cos I never researched anything in that (high) price range.

Two Smoker
10th May 2005, 19:48
GO FOR HJC!!! Great helmet, quiet wind noise, comfortable, and like pretty much everything i wear or touch, it has been crash tested my me :yes: held up very well :)

Phurrball
10th May 2005, 20:03
Wow, sounds like someone has a few penny's to spend? If the amount you are spending on a first helmet gives any indication on the bike your looking at buying I'd love to see it :)

Not quite - I'm an indebted student, but I value my head - and I want the gear to last me for longer than my first bike - which will be a cheepie learning machine...which I'll be sharing with my partner while she learns - between us we'll probably spend more than the value of the bike on gear - dreadfully safety conscious and boring I know! (As tempting as it would be to go the other way spending wise...)

Thanks for all the replies :Punk: I appreciate your collective wisdom!

Krusti
10th May 2005, 20:12
Her that is allways right just got a new HJC CL14 and she loves it ...likes it better than her Shoei flip front

surfchick
10th May 2005, 20:15
i just bought a shoei raid 2. really nice- sits on and doesn't tug in all directions when you go fast cause of the li'll foils. it's also REALLY quiet. i was in a bike shot the other day and one guy was saying the only thing with them is it's quite dear to replace the visor 100bucks-instead of 60 for the visor on someof the other good helmets. i reckon its worf gettin a good one. i rode round in a cheap one with the black plastic lug attachment thingies near the ears and man it was loud. get one that the visor plastic is the only part near the ear (not a big sticky outie plastic holder oner... 'goood luck

Krusti
10th May 2005, 20:15
Just bought this as a second helmet for son....:D

Joni
10th May 2005, 20:22
I have always been an AGV fan... however JRandom and I were talking the other day and he rekons no...
So I suppose if its safe, feels comfortable and priced right... its the one for you!! :spudwhat:

Blakamin
10th May 2005, 20:24
Nooooooo... I want it!!!!!!!!

NinjaBoy
10th May 2005, 20:46
I'm on my second HJC CL14 and loving it. The first one went through some serious crash testing and held up well. It comes with a breath guard and bag. My second one also came with the anti-fog film on the inside of the visor but found that the vents work really well otherwise (5 in all). Price wise it depends on how fancy your taste in graphics $200 (plain no graphics) - approx $350-$400. Need to shop around though.

Most importantly you need to try them all on to make sure they fit comfortably. I found only the HJC and one of the Arai's fitted. All the others had pressure spots at various points around the head. :niceone:

Krusti
10th May 2005, 20:47
Nooooooo... I want it!!!!!!!!

$260 on Trade Me,....Dr bought it with him from UK...Had to buy it..too small for me so son has it ...the little bugger!

FEINT
10th May 2005, 21:18
Those HJC CL14's are pretty well priced from memory $220 for a graphic one.

As Ninjaboy has said, you have to try them all on. Each manufacturer also has different sizing charts. So a XL in a shoei might be a L in a Suomy.

I personally have a SHOEI RAID and I paid $469.00 on offer. For my next helmet, I want to get a AGV!!

Phurrball
10th May 2005, 22:10

That's class! :cool: How come the ones I've been looking at don't have graphics like that?? :raghead:

Gremlin
12th May 2005, 20:06
Hey NinjaBoy, Feint. Where are your prices coming from?? They seem to be better than what I got...

I got an HJC CL-14 from Motomail a couple of weeks ago. They were selling them on special for $199 non-graphic, $249 graphic. Dunno if the specials still apply.

Normally the helmet apparently (well, prices from Motomail - NinjaBoy and Feint seem to do better :mad: ) sells for $299 non-graphic, $349 graphic.

When I was looking, it was mentioned that the snell standard is better than the required Dot standard (design vs. batch testing) so look out for that. The CL-14 meets snell requirements.

Sizes do differ. Trying on helmets in three shops, I was a large. Tried the HJC and I was a medium. Nothing is for sure.

Phurrball
17th May 2005, 19:51
Thanks for all the replies...

I have lined up a Nitro N900V - which fits me better than anything else! :niceone: Guess I'm kucky to have a head that fits something other than super expensive helmets...

:banana: