PDA

View Full Version : YZF750R 1995: Decent bike?

Tubbsy
17th February 2010, 12:40
Hey all, I'm moving to Aus next month, looking at this bike to buy from a dealer before I get over there so I have something to ride and transport.

No idea on what it's like as a bike, can anyone offer some advice? Much appreciated.

I can wait till I get there if I have to....prefer not to though. ;)

R6_kid
17th February 2010, 13:04
Talk to Mental Trousers. He had one a while back. He almost literally rode it into the ground.

sil3nt
17th February 2010, 20:28
In case you haven't wiki'd it here is what it has to say

Known Issues

Excessive oil consumption is a major problem with this engine even when new. Some users have to pour a litre of oil every several hundred kilometres.

1994 YZF750 owners in the US complained of overheating problems especially in urban environments. Yamaha addressed this issue on the 1996 model by upgrading to a larger capacity, curved radiator.
When accelerating from a stop, YZF750 owners have also complained of a "flat spot" or "glitch" in carburetion at about 2000-2500 rpm. The overheating and carburetion problems may have been caused by an extremely lean carburetor setting from the factory. Installing a jet-kit and adjusting the carburetors to a richer setting allowed the engine to run cooler and eliminated the carburetor "glitch".

Valve clearance should be inspected more often than Yamaha recommends as this is a problem.

Carbon build-up on valves may also cause the valves not to open enough reducing compression.

Tubbsy
17th February 2010, 21:27
In case you haven't wiki'd it here is what it has to say

Hmmmmm, that doesn't sound good

sil3nt
17th February 2010, 21:39
Don't believe everything wiki tells you. Make sure you ask those who have owned the bike!

BMWST?
17th February 2010, 21:55
Don't believe everything wiki tells you. Make sure you ask those who have owned the bike!

all i know is i had an FZ750 that had a hard life...TWO castrol six hours,and a very hard life with owner before me...i had absolutely no trouble with it.Only thing i didnt like was lots of driveline lash.But that was only noticeable in stop start traffic.Dont know how similar(or not) the bikes were/are

SS90
18th February 2010, 05:24

+1 on the "don't believe Wikipedia thing"

I have never owned one, but have worked on a few in my career.

They do indeed use oil, but not sure if the Wikipedia number quoted is typical, but, from memory 1000KM of hard riding was about 300ml, and by "hard riding", I do mean some pretty high revs.

These where built as a production based homalgomation model (actually, that was the OWO1, but the FZR750 wasn't so far removed as we all thought, Titanium valves not with standing!)

The reason they used so much oil was the fact that they had REALLY thin rings, and the rings would "flutter" in the piston grooves at high RPM.

They are a bit "outdated" in the superbike specs, but, hey, it is a 95 model after all.

Perhaps if you PM R1madness he can give you some advise, he has had alot to do with them (in a professional sense, as well as personal)

hayd3n
18th February 2010, 05:57
i have the 600 version
since ive had it
ive had to get the gear box rebuilt(costly)
was dropping out of 2nd at 5300 thou k
its been great before the issue
and since
done 34 thou ks in over 14 months there isint much adjustment in the suspension only preload
would i buy another one yes but as long as the fix was done or it had low kms

T.W.R
18th February 2010, 06:29
Have a read of this:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/24197-YZF-750-Info

F5 Dave
18th February 2010, 10:09
My SP never used oil in between changes. Had about 46k when sold & was sweet as a nut.

. . . well, except on long high speed trips between Welly & Auck & back (not in NZ, just a coincidence) it might use between the top & the bottom of the window marks, but that was at speeds that you can't really do anymore without risk of handcuffs. Otherwise it used less than a lot of other bikes. Think issue is when people break them in using the pussy method. I would look for seizing exup valve, warped discs & if it carburates badly the R model had Mikuni carbs that wore the emulsion tubes. Not hard to fix & many bikes of that era afflicted. Otherwise a stella bike esp if you space the rear up a little. If it smokes blue when warm & given a rev then walk away, if it smokes black then it will be the tubes as mixture rich.

FROSTY
18th February 2010, 10:34
I bought a high milage (100000k) Sp off of SPman and the darn thing was bloody fantastic to ride.I had it for a few months and really enjoyed every minute on it. I then sold it to MT and up till it was stolen I think he loved riding it too
I diddn't think about the oil consumption because I'm used to the older air cooled XJ's which always use oil when you cane em