PDA

View Full Version : Dririder Storm Gloves

Dadpole
19th February 2010, 23:36
A quick review of the Dririder Storm gloves and my experience with them.
The specs are:
-Premium cowhide leather construction.
-Full HIPORA waterproof and breathable membrane.
-THINSULATE thermal liner for winter comfort.
-Textile Cordura cuff for additional water resistance.
-Polyurethane moulded PU knuckle protection.
-Waterproof winter sports glove with high protection level.

My first impression was that they certainly are a winter glove. Trying them on a warm day led to sweaty hands, so I put them away until the first real test in the wet. This came last weekend with an outing to Taumarunui.
After a 50 km wet ride, I had water inside the gloves. Not the fault of the glove so much as mine as I had my sleeves inside the cuffs. On starting to take them off I discovered that no matter how I tried, I could not prevent the lining coming out stuck to my fingers.
Getting the lining back in was not possible, as the rubber membrane and the lining had separated. After ten minutes fiddling around I had not succeeded in getting the fingers more than halfway down on one glove. That might be regarded as some progress, but I could not take my hand out again without the lot coming with it.
Perhaps I could have managed it if the gloves were dry, but I had the return trip to do. The options were ride sans gloves (not a good idea), or cut off the liners, leaving me with the outers.
If the liner was secured in some way, this problem would not occur. Now I have a pair of $100+ unlined gloves that will go on the shelf after only a couple of hours use. :mad:

Owl
20th February 2010, 07:53
That sucks dude. I used to have a pair of Dririder Highlander gloves that were shockers, but they lasted me longer than that. I found them too thick in the end and gave them away. Bought some thinner (better feel) Alpinestar ST-3 Drystars which I found just as warm and far more water resistant.

sil3nt
20th February 2010, 17:11
When the liner came out of my glove i got the girlfriend to put it back in. She used the opposite hand to what the glove is and got it back in that way. It still felt weird for awhile but has come right. Winter gloves are only to be used in winter no matter what! We have found out the hard way :bleh:

Ratti
20th February 2010, 17:28
drat, I had a pair of cheapies come apart like that years ago. You don't really expect that to happen with brand new ones tho. Can you take everything back to the shop and complain? Its something the importer ought really to know about

Dadpole
21st February 2010, 08:20
I think the ends of the lining fingers are not locked to the outer because that would mean gluing or stitching the rubber membrane. No doubt I could have got the liner back in if I dried the things.
I should contact the importer, but during the week I called at a bike shop to check out replacements. While talking to one of the guys there and mentioning the liner problem, i got the "It happens" reply. It seems that it is not exactly a rare thing. I will pick my next set carefully.

pritch
21st February 2010, 21:41
The options were ride sans gloves (not a good idea), or cut off the liners, leaving me with the outers.

Ummm there may have been other options, like using a pencil tp push the finger linings back.
Or for the illiterate, using the brake or clutch lever?

Too late now, but better luck next time. :whistle:

Dadpole
22nd February 2010, 10:54
The rubber membrane and liner had separated, so I couldn't just push it back down. It required twisting the liner to line up with the membrane. Probably possible if the gloves were dry, but drying time was something I did not have.

MaxCannon
4th March 2010, 13:25
Never had any issues with mine - wore them all last winter.

Make sure you hold the finger tips when pulling your hand out.