PDA

View Full Version : The price of fish

Redstar
20th February 2010, 21:17
Have you ever gone into a shop and selected something based on the premise that it would cost about the same price as you paid the last time?
Today I went to the goodguys at Cycletreads and bought 4 litres of Motul 4T and paid $61 when I decanted the old oil into a previous can from the same puveyor of fine oils it was purchased for $41 about 18 months ago (shows how often I change my oil agreed;)
However has the international cost of oil increased that much? 33% maybe so? but when you consider you can buy decent car oil (Valvoline) from the Wharehouse for $19 whats the guts?:angry2:My theory is this its Revenue turnover vs Profit its seems that Cycletreads might want to move away from qty sales but still maintain profit margin? I will call them and ask to give them the right to comment on my assertion as perhaps I am mistaken yet again? I forgot to ask for my goldcard discount (hate that loyalty card system) we should always get the best price not have to plead for it..I will shop around next time perhaps

MaxCannon
20th February 2010, 21:32
I don't think I've ever paid that little for Motul oil.
Sure that last lot I got was over $70

NewRob
20th February 2010, 21:48
I only ride a CBR250 and use Silkolene Super 4, 10W-40. I have checked around and a lot of bike shops sell this oil for more ( about $64 to $74) than I paid for from Super Cheap auto for only $54.
I can get oil and filter for that same price for my car. What the Hell is with this prices.:crazy:

Redstar
20th February 2010, 21:49
really? darn I take it all back if thats the case I must have got a really good deal then.
if only I could get the sodding oil filter off without sticking a screwdriver through it I could go to bed and get to the races tomorrow :bash:

pritch
20th February 2010, 22:11
Coulda been worse the full synthetic is $100 or more, I guess the semi must be somewhere inbetween.

Oh, and I was in Super Cheap the other day looking for Silkolene chain gel and not one Fuchs product to be seen in the shop.
I hope thay haven't gone out of Silkolene but it doesn't look good.

rustys
21st February 2010, 05:10
I bought 4lts Motol 3100 Gold 4T the other day from my bike shop and paid $45.00, some ones ripping someone off here mate ?????

YellowDog
21st February 2010, 05:33
Missleading thread title.

I'd better go and get my fishing rod. :)

Maha
21st February 2010, 06:05
On the subject of Fish Prices though, why is that if you want to purchase a Crayfish from a tank, you are expected to pay for the whole thing? you pay by the KG and dont use the body of the bloody thing. Surely if they could sell you the tail section it would be much better for the consumer?

Not that I can afford to buy a Crayfish from a tank, just an observation.

Now to get ready for Paeroa.

Quasievil
21st February 2010, 06:08
but when you consider you can buy decent car oil (Valvoline) from the Wharehouse for $19 whats the guts?

Errr that isnt decent motor oil mate that is crap motor oil with cheap basestocks and a crap additive package

I feel sorry for your car

Redstar
25th February 2010, 21:21
sorry mate you have to be older to make the connection I wont explain . well in the 19th centry it was not the price of Oil that comcerned it was the price of a fish that set the cost of living. went into Motomail today and 4t was $71 me conclusion is shop around a semi synthetic Motul 4t can range from $54 to $75 for the same stuff

Squiggles
26th February 2010, 12:26
Ya sure its the exact same? Not 3100 vs 5100?

blackdog
26th February 2010, 13:07
really? darn I take it all back if thats the case I must have got a really good deal then.
if only I could get the sodding oil filter off without sticking a screwdriver through it I could go to bed and get to the races tomorrow :bash:

back to supercheap then, for about $15 i got a belt-type filter tool, ive found it so much better than anything else available

duckonin
26th February 2010, 13:12
I bought 4lts Motol 3100 Gold 4T the other day from my bike shop and paid $45.00, some ones ripping someone off here mate ?????

Same $45, others I have looked at up to $58 diff retailers....

Owl
27th February 2010, 07:13
back to supercheap then, for about $15 i got a belt-type filter tool, ive found it so much better than anything else available

That puppy wouldn't work on my bike or many other's, as filters often sit flush with the sump, with not much room to spare. My cap style filter tool only just fits.