PDA

View Full Version : Rules and regs for plate mounting?

NZJONESY
24th February 2010, 08:28
Is anyone aware if this or any other type of plate mount/tail tidy is legal or illegal?
Looking into some various tail tidy's and found this style and am wondering if it could be used on NZ roads with no issues??

Any comments appreciated

NZJONESY

SMOKEU
24th February 2010, 19:46
Is anyone aware if this or any other type of plate mount/tail tidy is legal or illegal?
Looking into some various tail tidy's and found this style and am wondering if it could be used on NZ roads with no issues??

Any comments appreciated

NZJONESY

I'm pretty sure that the tag has to be clearly visibly for at least 100m or something like that.

Chrislost
24th February 2010, 20:07

Any comments appreciated

NZJONESY
That all depends if you meet ginger or not, if you do, pay the man, if you dont, you be sweet!

DR MAT
2nd March 2010, 19:08
its not really legal as you probably cant see it very clearly from behind and it dosnt look like theres a number plate light on there so thats a fail also theres no red reflecter by the looks so thats also a fail, but you could take it to vtnz or other such car orintated place because all a car mechanic need to be able to do motorcycle wofs is a bike licence, hence why some of the most dodgy wofs ive ever seen have come straight out of vtnz

brett7777
2nd March 2010, 21:29
It's legal. There are very few requirements with plates - dont chop it, trim it, or mount on angle. It can be mounted horizontal or vertical. It will pass a wof no prob. I had to check all this out as I sell side mount plate brackets.

Owl
3rd March 2010, 06:19
all a car mechanic need to be able to do motorcycle wofs is a bike licence

Not too sure about that one. I had a WOF done at a place where most of the guys rode bikes, however only one could do the bike WOF. I can't speak for them all, but I know at least 4 of them had bike licences.

brett7777
3rd March 2010, 09:08
its not really legal as you probably cant see it very clearly from behind and it dosnt look like theres a number plate light on there so thats a fail also theres no red reflecter by the looks so thats also a fail, but you could take it to vtnz or other such car orintated place because all a car mechanic need to be able to do motorcycle wofs is a bike licence, hence why some of the most dodgy wofs ive ever seen have come straight out of vtnz

just add cheap reflector, and led number plate lite, bout 30NZ for the light, 6NZ for the reflector
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=274134982

DR MAT
3rd March 2010, 09:30
just add cheap reflector, and led number plate lite, bout 30NZ for the light, 6NZ for the reflector
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=274134982

yea u can get number plate bolts with LEDs in them, motrax do a good set, and im shure ull find somewere to fit a reflector, but i know a few bikes that have failed with there plate down there as it isnt clearly visible enough

NZJONESY
3rd March 2010, 19:56
Thanks everyone, Big help!