PDA

View Full Version : What have you hit?

CRF119
25th February 2010, 22:29
Over the past 3 months i have had some bad/good luck with hitting animals on my road bike. When i say good luck it because im yet to some off yet. Im sure they are out to get me. I am very suprised at how well a road bike flattens things and dosent get to upset.

So far i have hit a Rabit, Possum, Hedgehog, a massive Rabit and a bird smacked into my sholder.

Also had a very close run in with a few sheep.

Any body else not been so lucky.......

hmmmnz
25th February 2010, 22:57
i hit a deer when i was living in scotland, and a pedestrian when he stepped out on the road whilst talking on his cell phone :D

Farab
26th February 2010, 06:45
You should add a swarm of bees to that list, I guess more riding through one!

sunhuntin
26th February 2010, 07:17
butterflies and other small flying bugs. lol. i try to duck around butterflies if i can, but some are set on dying.

vifferman
26th February 2010, 07:35
I've hit a swarm of midges, a bee, a sparrow, a cyclist, two cars, and a pedestrian.
But not all at the same time.

Ragingrob
26th February 2010, 07:50
Sparrow hit me in the head the other day, just didn't see it coming and WHACK at 110kph!

dogsnbikes
26th February 2010, 07:57
Have hit them all,the one that hurt the worst was being tee-boned by a wood pidgeon,but the strangest was the possum that hung on too my leg for a K or so

Smifffy
26th February 2010, 08:23
The most memorable on a bike for me was a number of years ago, when I was just pootling around, nice sunny day, visor up, and had a wee piece of grit flick up and hit me in the face, a little hard, but gave it a wipe with my glove, HTFU and kept riding for the day. That night it still felt a bit sore so checked in the mirror to see if it had left a mark or something. Turns out the wee bit of grit was actually a bee, and what was left of the stinger was still firmly embedded, having spent the afternoon pumping it's full contents into my cheek. Overnight my face swelled up massivley, on Monday morning everyone at work thought I had gotten the serious bash at a concert that was on over the weekend (that concert was notorious for a massive brawl).

one fast tl1ooo
26th February 2010, 08:28
I have hit birds bee's and car's and the road. O wait the car hit me :lol: But a bee in the helmet has to be the worst.

avgas
26th February 2010, 08:33
bugs to a cow.
Thankfully the cow was at very low speed - so I only damaged me nuts on the tank.

Big Dave
26th February 2010, 08:36
Pigeon flush on the cheek in an open face at 90kph.
Broke my Ray-bans. No big deal - kept riding.

Got three bees in my Jacket out at Maraetai. All stung neck and lower back.
No biggie - kept riding. Was a funny dance for a while though.

HTFU. :Punk:

slofox
26th February 2010, 13:48
Swarm of bees many years ago - still hold world record for fastest stop and removal of helmet (pre-full-face).

Little bird went into the wheel...POOF! Cloud of feathers emerged from t'other side.

Sheep. Not long ago. Dumb bloody thing ran across my bow and refused to turn away from impending doom. Bounced off it sideways and carried on up the road. Back brake pedal bent backwards. Sheep apparently OK...(well it disappeared real quick anyway).

Gazillions of insects - bike is covered in dead bug spooge...

Many near misses - harriers, rabbits, hares, pukekos, ducks, pheasants...etc etc etc.

ukusa
26th February 2010, 14:14
does a pothole count?
other than that, only bugs.

TerminalAddict
26th February 2010, 14:21
a greenish brownish cloud that was closely following a stock truck.

Held my breathe .. kept riding .. no dramas :)

Ixion
26th February 2010, 14:49
Small octopus.

Conquiztador
26th February 2010, 14:49
All of them at some stage.

When travelling on bike through Oz I was told to stop riding at dusk as it was the time when it got a little cooler and the roos came out. Could not se the reason... before I got up to past Carnarvon in WA. Was happily riding on a looooong straight and suddenly had something whack in to my leg from the side. I went wobbling all over the show, but managed to stay on the wheels. When I got the bike stopped I looked around and did see this fucking big roo standing by the side of the road. After that I stopped riding when the sun started to go down.

Ratti
26th February 2010, 14:55
years and years ago now a rabbit one night while riding home very drunk..at least I hope it was a rabbit, was out by the cemetary at Paeroa.
Worst was recently getting a bumble bee wedged up my trou. Damn thing managed to get right up onto my inner thigh where it proceeded to bite me several times. SOunds funny and no doubt it was hilariously funny to watch rapid stop bike, hurl strides off and stand around in undies and boots trying to work out what had happend. It bloody well hurt and the bruising was spectacular. I don't mind a friendly nibble on the inner thigh, but....

Ratti
26th February 2010, 14:56
Small octopus.

what? O please Ix, you really have to finish that story..how the heck???

Ixion
26th February 2010, 15:24
No story. I was not paying sufficient attention and hit (ran over actually) an octopus. Fortunately it was a small one.

jellywrestler
26th February 2010, 15:39
I went to Paeroa last weekend and managed to hit 235km'h at one stage

Toaster
26th February 2010, 15:52
It's what I swerved and missed then highsided that screwed up my life...... link here: SHEEP (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1648736#post1648736)

kevfromcoro
26th February 2010, 16:02
sconed a dog once.. there was no way around it.. so i hit it fair and square....

Was like running over a wet sack full of sand...

didnt arse off..... was on a dirt bike... think i was lucky

not to sure about the dog though

gatch
26th February 2010, 16:17
Hit heaps of birds. A rabbit, a cat down my street. Some fences, a couple of cars. Loads of bugs..

Then I hit 200 on the way home, so I could hit my wife.

Mom
26th February 2010, 16:21
So far i have hit a Rabit, Possum, Hedgehog, a massive Rabit and a bird smacked into my sholder.

Murderer :D

I've hit a swarm of midges, a bee, a sparrow, a cyclist, two cars, and a pedestrian.
But not all at the same time.

MURDERER :D

I can tell you that pre-flatened possums mid way through a corner are fun to ride over :shit:

Small bird of unknown origin on my knee. Many close shaves with birds.

Worst thing I have ever run over though was a few ducklings :pinch: But that was in my car and I am over it now :laugh:

Pussy
26th February 2010, 16:46
Worst thing I have ever run over though was a few ducklings :pinch: But that was in my car and I am over it now :laugh:

Murderer!!

Hiflyer
26th February 2010, 16:49
Does a plastic bag count? Didn't hurt but scared the fuck outta me

Gremlin
26th February 2010, 16:54
Had most things... birds to the helmet and chest (chest protectors are damn handy) possums, hedgehogs (bloody sleeping in the road on corners) and rabbits several times over, including once hitting my leg when it was really sunburnt (that one fucken hurt).

Also hit the road several times... sealed and gravel, I don't disciminate :(

Grumpy
26th February 2010, 17:01
Rode right into a laser beam once, although that wasn't too bad. What really sucked was the bugga at the other end. He really fucked up my day.:Police::oi-grr:

Wiki Drifter
26th February 2010, 17:35
Speaking of hitting things, I came across this video the other day... :shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZAjJ-g0UDw

Ran over this bunny not long ago, I tried to resuscitate it but didn't work... :(

chester
26th February 2010, 17:50
I can remember hitting the road and sliding up a bank while watching my bike slide into a caravan.

avgas
26th February 2010, 18:03
Bugger - I just saw what looked like the remains of a bandit next to an ambo at the top of Dom rd.
Hope the rider is ok. But it didn't look good. Front of car was toast.

slofox
26th February 2010, 18:09
Speaking of hitting things, I came across this video the other day... :shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZAjJ-g0UDw

Ran over this bunny not long ago, I tried to resuscitate it but didn't work... :(

Dat ain't no bunny - dat's a hare...you shoulda tried hair restorer on it...

Swoop
26th February 2010, 18:18
Mirrors.<tencharacters>

sleemanj
26th February 2010, 18:21

You obviously needed better doctorin skills...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XnLVQylARRQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XnLVQylARRQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Ixion
26th February 2010, 18:29
No story. I was not paying sufficient attention and hit (ran over actually) an octopus. Fortunately it was a small one.

Perhaps I should have added that I was riding on a beach at the time?

cheshirecat
26th February 2010, 18:32
Have hit the usual stuff but once saw a police car just after it had collided with a stationary road roller. Lots of other officers around taking notes.
I haven't been hit one of Her Majesties Royal Force bombs though they tried, oil drums falling off a lorry up the M6, a brick sandwiched between a lorries rear tyres (common), a helicopter and a sea plane, oh and one of Her Majesties army bullets.

Mom
26th February 2010, 18:44
Murderer!!

Thats what Maha said too :yes:

You men are meanies, it took me forever to get over the sound they make as the wheels go over them :pinch:

Bet you can't guess what it is? :blip:

SMOKEU
26th February 2010, 18:51
I ran over a dog once when it was chasing after me and it jumped in front of me. I couldn't stop because a group of about 10 people were chasing after me trying to tackle me off the dirt bike and beat me up. Luckily I managed to dodge the cunts by about half a metre.

quickbuck
26th February 2010, 18:54

Once I had a Rabbit hit me in the shoulder!
Yup! Actually a Hawk was lifting off carrying his breakfast, just as some inconsiderate CBR400 pilot came flying along the road.....
By the time said pilot realised the hawk was running out of torque to lift his breakfast, it was all too late.
Rabbit made a bit of a mess.... It already was a mess after the milk tanker (at a guess) got him... But all I will say is YUK!

Same road another time, had a bird strike right on my mirror!

Then there was the psycho Dog in Blenheim that managed to fit between the wheel and the Headers on the 400.... Heck that bike hated the wild life....
Tried to find dog, but he run away....with a burnt set of ribs I reckon....

Almost hit a goat on my GSX600 a few years later.... That gave me the willies, and could have been very bad if I hit him, as he jumped across the road as i was barreling through the twisties right by that Water Fall between Taumarunui and Te Kuiti...

Toaster
26th February 2010, 18:59
Murderer!!

Running over murderers should be encouraged!!!

Toaster
26th February 2010, 19:03
Speaking of hitting things....

You are supposed to blow in the OTHER end!

vegan_virgin
26th February 2010, 19:12
Over the past 3 months i have had some bad/good luck with hitting animals on my road bike. When i say good luck it because im yet to some off yet. Im sure they are out to get me. I am very suprised at how well a road bike flattens things and dosent get to upset.

Also had a very close run in with a few sheep.

Any body else not been so lucky.......

thats a lot of things to hit, are you aiming?!

kevfromcoro
26th February 2010, 19:21
Running over murderers should be encouraged!!!

and kiddy fiddlers.............

Ratti
26th February 2010, 19:21
He's got very good if he is aiming.

Ratti
26th February 2010, 19:22
I know where there is one if you want to practice

rebyl
26th February 2010, 19:40
Took out a Turkey Gobbler at 130kmph on a ST1100, hit it smack with the front wheel...thank God, poor thing exploded like it had had a grenade shoved up it's bum, 3 guys on bike behind got covered in shit, guts and feathers and nearly fell off from laughing so hard...me I just simply crapped my pants and continued on...we were on the first leg of the Rusty Nuts 1000 miler ride, also the normal stuff like bees, birds and one truck last weekend in Greymouth when the Dick head cut me off, very low speed impact, no damage to Ultra Classic but somehow bent his front bumper and drivers step and knocked off a bit of plastic....seriously....and not one single scratch on the Harley.....go figure...Harleys must be tough...LOL

rebyl
26th February 2010, 19:42
Also remember about Target Fixation...if you see it and concentrate on it, you will hit it, look away and you may miss it........and if you don't you will only feel the initial crunch....grin

Oscar
26th February 2010, 20:13
I was run over by my own Brother.
Does that count for him?

My chain came off and jammed my back wheel when we were racing - he hit me under the armpit with his front wheel doing about 50km/h and somersaulted over me.
I broke five ribs and had an unusual knobblie shaped imprint for a while...

Muppet
26th February 2010, 21:44
Was riding home on Rossall Street in Christchurch one night, in pouring rain on my '91 CBR600F. Saw what I thought was a cat run across the road up ahead of me. It stopped in the middle of my lane turned and stared at me. I thought a) Fuck that's a big cat! b) No matter whether I go left or right the fucker will move in front of me c) It's going to end in tears. I was right. I went to the left, the fucker (a Possum) went in front of me and I ran it over with both wheels at about 40 km/h. I looked in my mirrors to see the little shit run away, WTF?? Got home and thought 'gee I'm glad my bike wasn't damaged' (wrong!) Checked bike over in the morning and hey presto $700 worth of damage! Luckily Casbolts did a dodgy repair on a previous insurance job on the plastics by getting a poorly trained chimpanzee to bog up the damage, because I had to go to a plastic welder to have the whole thing pulled to bits and done properly. The owener of the business (Cnr St Asaph and Barbadoes) said if one of his boys had bogged up a fairing like Casbolts he'd sack 'em!!! Lesson learnt, I go to Pit Lane and or Sportzone now, but I digress....................

What?
27th February 2010, 07:58
Perhaps I should have added that I was riding on a beach at the time?
And ruin a good story?????

Aside from bunnies, possums and rats, the most fun was a swarm of cicadas. Potentially the least fun was a beetle. Maybe because it was a Volkswagen...

Blackbird
27th February 2010, 09:04
The most memorable on a bike for me was a number of years ago, when I was just pootling around, nice sunny day, visor up, and had a wee piece of grit flick up and hit me in the face, a little hard, but gave it a wipe with my glove, HTFU and kept riding for the day. That night it still felt a bit sore so checked in the mirror to see if it had left a mark or something. Turns out the wee bit of grit was actually a bee, and what was left of the stinger was still firmly embedded, having spent the afternoon pumping it's full contents into my cheek. Overnight my face swelled up massivley, on Monday morning everyone at work thought I had gotten the serious bash at a concert that was on over the weekend (that concert was notorious for a massive brawl).

Same for me:shutup: Got stung between the eyebrows in Taupo. By the time I got back to Tokoroa, my eyes were almost shut with the swelling. Had to go to the hospital and have an injection of anti-histamine and it was a couple of days before I could see properly.

Also hit a cow when I was a student in the UK:shit: Was coming back from varsity on my Tiger 100 with a mate. I was only a few miles from home and this cow comes out of a gateway in a country lane right in front of me. Managed to half slide the bike before impact - I went under the cow with the bike and my mate somehow ended up on its back! I was more worried about getting stepped on as hooves were going everywhere. Lucky to get away with a torn jacket and scrapes to my crashbars.

Oakie
27th February 2010, 09:59
Bumblebee right in the middle of the visor at speed. BANG! Arhhh. Who turned out then lights?!
Also a long streak of seagull poo in the face on Monday of this week. Watch out for the story when I get time to write it.

george formby
27th February 2010, 17:09
i hit a deer when i was living in scotland, and a pedestrian when he stepped out on the road whilst talking on his cell phone :D

x 2 and a badger.

roadracingoldfart
27th February 2010, 19:35
Dogs , Cats , Possums , Sheep , almost a horse (that would have hurt) .
A sparrow into the open visor as i turned back round from looking behind - smack , shit everywhere and a huge cut across the top of the nose. A seagull got me on the right shoulder at 100 kmh and the force swept my arm round to get a massively painfull impact with the pack frame and cracked a bone in my hand - result , really sore right hand and shoulder about 150 kms away from home.
The most dangerous was when i had to take evasive action to avoid a bloody bus in Wellington city pulling out on me while on a trailbike. It was either go under the front wheel of the bus or straight into the large skip bin parked on the footpath to the right. I woke up with all these people looking at me over the top of the bin and my bike standing upright as it was wedged into the taper those bins have. I still dont know why all that broken concrete didnt even give me a scratch but managed to knock me out for a min or two. I still dont like bus drivers as that mother didnt even stop or hessitate according to winesses.

Paul.

Creeping Death
27th February 2010, 20:31
I've munted a cat on my mountain bike going downhill,it kept running alongside my front wheel then for some unknown reason turned right.

How dumb are cats?

taff1954
27th February 2010, 20:37
Thin air - and it bloody hurt. Riding home from work in the UK at 6 am in the dead of winter, on a road with no street lights. Some scum bag had pulled out a manhole cover in the middle of the road. I didn't see it until it was way too late and planted the front wheel of the CB250 right into the space where the cover should have been. I wasn't going too fast and got away with bruising and a headache, but it cost me a wheel, forks, helmet and jacket. Cops found the cover, but not the idiot that pulled it out.

roogazza
28th February 2010, 06:59
Hit a large Hawk on the Hutt side of the Piecock Hill at what must have been at least 120k. I ducked, but he dived too and buried himself under my headlight. Huge bird, Bones and shit sticking out everywhere,I felt real bad about that. G.

CRF119
28th February 2010, 22:03
Some good stories in there! Seems most people have been lucky with what they have hit

Herman Jelmet
1st March 2010, 13:33
Three possums- all on gravel, was surprised at how little I felt in the way of speedhump, a rat, numerous sparrows, a blackbird,pheasant ( tried to find it so I could eat it, couldn't find it ) dug a stinking fly blown sparrow out from under the headlight on the weekend. Have been hit in the head, torso legs.And have had numerous opportunites-- at the moment, it is on a daily basis, to take out multiple turkeys, but, I think this is a very bad idea as I have seen what they do to cars.

ManDownUnder
1st March 2010, 13:37
I ran into the side of a cement truck once - does that count?

And no - it didn't move

Skyryder
1st March 2010, 20:21
I went to Paeroa last weekend and managed to hit 235km'h at one stage

So was there a mess or is the 'faster you go the bigger the mess,' an urban legend??

Skyryder

Amz
1st March 2010, 20:52
Dog - sore ribs, Me - broken leg.

Woodman
1st March 2010, 20:54
Hit a wood pigeon about a year ago. Smashed my handguard to smithereens. There were lots of feathers and handguard parts on the road but no pigeon.

I have also (in cars so it doesn't count) on two seperate occaisions run into off duty cops.

Tubbsy
2nd March 2010, 09:45
Narrow narrow escape for me yesterday on Ponsonby road where I was the one who almost because a hood ornament on a farken courier vehicle.
I'd stopped in the turning lane to turn right, and this cock had pulled out behind me to overtake cars in the straight ahead lane on my left, looked in my rearview mirror and all I could see was the tiny courier vehicle filling both mirrors before he swerved back into his lane missing me by what must have been inches.
I hate those farks when they are on the road.

MarkH
2nd March 2010, 13:22
I haven't really hit much - mainly bugs & bees. In the car I got a duck pretty good once - it flew up across the road ahead of me and the car hit with the number plate, a little blood splatter on the windscreen. I've also had a cat tear across the road in front of the car when I was doing 100 - 110 kph (my normal open road cruising speed) - not much I could do but hit it. I never swerved or took evasive action - bad things could have happened if I did.

Many years ago I hit a cow with a truck - fucker ran right in front of me, I braked as hard as I could and scrubbed off a heap of speed, then bowled the fucker. After that it stood there looking at me and chewing its cud.

didnt arse off..... was on a dirt bike... think i was lucky

not to sure about the dog though

My guess - unlucky!

Generally throwing it into a stew will NOT work! It just isn't a valid resuscitation technique.

Dodger
2nd March 2010, 15:27
A few birds, and clipped the tail on a cat that ran out in front of me.
Also removed the bumper of a car that failed to giveway.

SPman
2nd March 2010, 15:53
Assorted sparrow type birds, a Pukeko, a moth storm in the Waihi gorge one night - that was scary, like flying over the Ruhr in a bomber dodging flak ......a cat, a dog, a Kangaroo and a Skoda!

george formby
2nd March 2010, 17:17
My now ex-wife, as pillion, hit a covey of quails & a 120kmh wind blast which nearly took her off the back of the bike when I ducked. She had little feathers stuck to the bottom of her visor & chin strap, face like a bull terrier chewing a wasp too.

hayd3n
2nd March 2010, 17:24
a couple of banks
walked away with a few bruises

Conquiztador
4th March 2010, 23:15
a couple of banks
walked away with a few bruises

Don't you just hate it when their customers try to be heroes! :chase:

nivram
6th March 2010, 20:13
A Badger :blink:

Dschubba
8th March 2010, 09:03
Wiped out a native wood pidgeon first day on new bike with missus on the back.
Thought it might be an omen...

Then 2 weeks ago, took out a F@@king eagle on the Pahiatua track.
(either that or a Circus approximans)
Bike looked quite cool after the 2nd encounter... sort of like a supersonic dream catcher