PDA

View Full Version : Newb here - Hotkebab

Matariki
26th February 2010, 21:08
Hi, I thought I would just like to introduce myself here to the forums.

Recently (a few days ago) I bought my first bike, A 2004 Suzuki GN250E. To show how much of a newb I am, I don't even know what the 'E' on the end means. *Face Palm* I bought the bike from the local dealer, I was second hand and its WOF was up to date.

So after a few hours of tuition I took the bike home.
I can now ride it (kind of) I still am very new to operating the clutch and gears but at least I haven't crashed yet.
But now I seem to be having a problem. As I went to drive the motorcycle into my garage (after taking it off the truck) all went well until I turned off the motorcycle. Once a cleared a spot for my motorcycle, I went back to put my motorcycle in. I pulled the on the choke, turned on the bike with my keys, I made sure the bike was in neutral, pushed the choke back in, placed my hand on the cultch and then I tried to start it with the electric start. For some reason it didn't want to start. So I checked the petrol tank, there was enough to get it into the garage. I had a bit of trouble trying to put the cap back on. I don't know if it was the battery or not because the lights were still working.

I feel very confused and sad. :confused:
I managed to drive up to the garage but It took a little while for it to warm up. But when I turned it off and then turned it on again it didn't want to go. My dad tried to have a look at it, but he dosn't know much about motorcycles. :mellow:

IdunBrokdItAgin
26th February 2010, 21:54
I think the E stands for electric (as in electrickery start as opposed to kick start).

Bike may not be starting because either:

a) kick stand down - most modern bikes won't start if kick stand down and in any gear - this is to stop them flying off the kick stand and falling over. Always make sure a bike is in neutral before starting. There is usually a green light (likely with an N on it) on the dash. This is how you tell if you are in neutral. If you select neutral before pressing the ignition it should start.
To select neutral just click the gear foot lever down as many times as it will go (while holding the clutch in) and then slightly force it upwards (if you feel a click this will be neutral and the green light will come on. Note that some bikes are right finicky little buggers and it may take a while to get the right feel for selecting neutral - it's an art on any bike.
b) handlebar kill switch activated. Check that you didn't accidently hit the kill switch above the throttle. The kill switch looks like the headlight switch (which is above the clutch) but is usually red. It cuts the electrics to the engine. Only used in times of emergency - fallen over with bike on top of you and you need a way to turn the engine off.

Other than that - I would put it down to battery. But pretty sure that it is one of the two above.

Enjoy riding - waaay harder than driving a car and you should never stop learning. When you think you are good enough -that is the time you should give up riding a bike.

one fast tl1ooo
26th February 2010, 21:57
welcome to kb

Matariki
26th February 2010, 22:54
Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look in the morning to see if thats the problem. :yes:

Matariki
26th February 2010, 22:54
Thanks for the welcome!

howdamnhard
27th February 2010, 01:27
Welcome to KB. I would go for the kill switch first. Once you have it sorted out practice on a quiet street, when you have all the basic controls sorted out ,then venture out on the busier roads. Attend some of the Wednesday training nights and do a Ride Safe Ride Right or something similiar course. Also lots of good tips in survival forum.

kiwifruit
27th February 2010, 06:54
Hey up = )

CookMySock
27th February 2010, 07:10
I pulled the on the choke, turned on the bike with my keys, I made sure the bike was in neutral, pushed the choke back in, placed my hand on the cultch and then I tried to start it with the electric start.Try this ;

Check in neutral
Pull the choke right out firmly
Ignition key on
Pull clutch in
Very small amount of throttle (sometimes use none at all - experiment)
Press starter for up to 2 or 3 seconds.

If it doesn't start, don't keep using the starter. Try less, more, or no throttle.

If it starts, release the throttle and do nothing until the engine revs rise up and stabilise somewhere around 4,000rpm approx (not important what this rpm is) and leave it there for 10-15 seconds, and then slowly push the choke in until the revs get down to about 2,000 rpm and leave it at 2,000 rpm.

You can ride the bike away now, but you should push the choke right in over the next 5 minutes or so. You don't need to warm it up for ages, unless it's a super high-performance race bike which it aint. ;)

If you are still stuck, see if someone local can help you with it before you flatten the battery completely.

Welcome to biking, and to KB. :niceone:

Steve

The Baron
27th February 2010, 07:12
Welcome to KB. Congrates on your new GN they are great bikes. After reading your post the first thing that came to mind was that you flooded it. You don't need to use the choke if it is already warmed up. We have had GN's and you only need the choke if cold and then maybe only half choke. Choke use changes for each bike and it may be just getting used to each other. All else fails just ring the dealer. He wont mind. Thats what they do.

Have fun. you have a good weekend for it.

Bikemad
27th February 2010, 09:10
welcome to the site hotkebab.............plenty of advice for ya here.....,enjoy

The Everlasting
28th February 2010, 19:16
Welcome to KB,enjoy the ginny!

Matariki
6th March 2010, 23:45
I think the E stands for electric (as in electrickery start as opposed to kick start).

Bike may not be starting because either:

a) kick stand down - most modern bikes won't start if kick stand down and in any gear - this is to stop them flying off the kick stand and falling over. Always make sure a bike is in neutral before starting. There is usually a green light (likely with an N on it) on the dash. This is how you tell if you are in neutral. If you select neutral before pressing the ignition it should start.
To select neutral just click the gear foot lever down as many times as it will go (while holding the clutch in) and then slightly force it upwards (if you feel a click this will be neutral and the green light will come on. Note that some bikes are right finicky little buggers and it may take a while to get the right feel for selecting neutral - it's an art on any bike.
b) handlebar kill switch activated. Check that you didn't accidently hit the kill switch above the throttle. The kill switch looks like the headlight switch (which is above the clutch) but is usually red. It cuts the electrics to the engine. Only used in times of emergency - fallen over with bike on top of you and you need a way to turn the engine off.

Other than that - I would put it down to battery. But pretty sure that it is one of the two above.

Enjoy riding - waaay harder than driving a car and you should never stop learning. When you think you are good enough -that is the time you should give up riding a bike.

Thanks for the advice! I should of thanked you sooner. I got the bike going but now Iv'e run of petrol.
Iv'e been having lots of fun however the dealer forgot to tell me what sort of petrol my bike takes.
Anyway I could find out?

Once again thankyou very much to everyone for the advice and the welcome. :yes:
No doubt I will have plenty more questions to ask as I ride more.

CookMySock
7th March 2010, 07:17
Any petrol is fine. Sometimes the higher octane petrol will let you travel further on a tank.

I wouldn't use the ethanol blends in a bike, unless the manufacturer specifically said so in writing.

Steve

sapperj
7th March 2010, 07:36
Welcome to the forums HK,

My first bike was a GN... ahhh the memories! Great fun and well ballenced, super easy to ride. Great choice for a first bike :niceone:

Dont hesitate to ask questions here as there are alot of well informed people who are keen to help. Also it sounds like it would be good for you to pair up with another rider from your town and go for rides, pratice stuff and have fun!

Just post a thread here asking for buddies :scooter:

LTD (Living The Dream)

cave weta
7th March 2010, 07:54
My friend Roadtripdiva has just ridden 10,000km around NZ in 3 months on a little GeNny! she had a blast! http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/album.php?albumid=3138&attachmentid=189513 go here- and you can read her blog about her trip.

One thing she discovered is that the 'park' position on the key will leave the taillight on - after 10 0r 12 hours of that you will have no battery power left to start.
from your description of your problem I was unsure whether it was flat and would not turn over- or just would not catch and start running! glad all is sorted and that you are enjoying your new bikestyle!

hellokitty
8th March 2010, 19:24
Hi, welcome to KB. Awsome bike the GN, brilliant first bike, I sold mine when I got my full license and I cried!!!!!!! Definitely try to find someone to ride with, helps build up your confidence.
Plus you can learn heaps about looking after your bike too.