PDA

View Full Version : Parking on asphalt; sidestand making holes

pyrocam
1st March 2010, 18:29
does anyone else have problems when parking their bike on ashphalt. or is this just my driveway

This is from my sidestand sitting on it for about 4 hours on a hot day. I have tried to bash the lump it made down to make the hole smaller as well, didnt really help much.

ukusa
1st March 2010, 18:34
chuck a piece of wood under it on hot days. Also handy on soft grass to stop that sinking feeling.

CRF119
1st March 2010, 18:53
My mates R1 sinks about a inch on a hot day the drive way at his work has so many holes in it. You could just get it modified to have a slightly larger footing on it

boman
1st March 2010, 19:42
Seen that quite a few times with Ducati's. Like Ukusa said keep a piece of wood handy.

vifferman
1st March 2010, 19:45
I carry a piece of flat metal in my bag for parking on softish surfaces.
Interestingly (or perhaps not), when the other guy at work and I parked outside our building, his CBR1000RR's stand sunk into the asphalt, whereas mine didn't, despite my bike being much heavier than his. The feet of both stands were about the same size, and if anything, my bike leaned at a slightly steeper angle. Weird...
Summat to do with leverage, geometry or whatever, that wasn't immediately apparent from a cursory examination.

AllanB
1st March 2010, 20:14
When you get home drink a beer, crush the can and put it under the side stand.

I'll be here all evening giving out good advice.

Scotty595
1st March 2010, 20:33
Had the same issue when went out for a ride yesterday... pulled over just after Kaiaua for about 5 minutes... come back and both the bike stand had sunk about 3cm into the ground, I was pretty surprised...

sunhuntin
2nd March 2010, 07:36
i had the same happen at one of my old jobs. nice fresh parking lot, and i left holes all over the show, lol. i carry a square of wood for parking on grass, gravel or anywhere where i feel the stand might fail for whatever reason.

fatzx10r
2nd March 2010, 07:39
please replace divots

pyrocam
2nd March 2010, 09:16
Anyone know how to fix holes in ashphalt?

R6_kid
2nd March 2010, 09:59

Generally with an application of more hot mix asphalt.

If you really want to do it, there are road works happening on Te Atatu Road (motorway end) at the moment. Pretty sure you can scoop up some of the excess from the side of the road, heat it up, and then push it into the hole.

p.dath
2nd March 2010, 10:45
Interestingly (or perhaps not), when the other guy at work and I parked outside our building, his CBR1000RR's stand sunk into the asphalt, whereas mine didn't, despite my bike being much heavier than his. The feet of both stands were about the same size, and if anything, my bike leaned at a slightly steeper angle. Weird...
Summat to do with leverage, geometry or whatever, that wasn't immediately apparent from a cursory examination.

Was one of the riders much heavier than the other ... ?

NighthawkNZ
2nd March 2010, 11:19
My VTR sunk in to the ashphalt and actually came off its stand and craked the fairing, smashed indicators, broke foot peg and bent gear shifter... and we were about to go to a rally...

Sharry
2nd March 2010, 11:34
Mine has done that outside motomail and outside a freinds house. i now use a crushed can that works on ashphalt and grass. If i had that issue on my driveway I would get a plastic side stand support thingy.

The Pastor
2nd March 2010, 11:41

kinda surpised you didnt talk to me cam

but yeah if your side stand it shit, carry a bit of flat wood / object to place under side stand.

you can fix the hole by applying a small ammout of cemment / fine grade concrete to the hole if you're worried abour your land lord - i'd just place a suitable sized stone in the hole tho.

sunhuntin
2nd March 2010, 11:44

the bike i had that sank was a gn250, lol. even 50cc scooters were sinking. really shit asphalt in my eyes.

HenryDorsetCase
2nd March 2010, 13:50
You need an ice hockey puck. You can even buy them with the cut out for the stand foot moulded in.

http://www.demonbikes.com/more/on/details/6659

or something functionally equivalent

Roadsafe Nelson
2nd March 2010, 14:02

Yep.. meeee tooo!! easy peasy!! :Punk: I have a small hole drilled into one corner & some fishing nylon tied to it which I loop over my handlebar.. so when you're ready to ride off.. you sit on your bike.. lift it off the side stand, then you simply pull up the metal plate with the nylon.. & put it in your tankbag!! & wallah!! great for gravel, wet grass, & hot ashphalt! :yes:

YellowDog
2nd March 2010, 14:07
please replace divots

Exactly!

Or the local authorities may take action.

We have enough crap going on already with parking.

mazz1972
2nd March 2010, 15:00
We have asphalt on our driveway and it's a damn nuisance. Some of our bike stands have dug in and left nice marks.. Our current bikes seem ok.

As people have mentioned you can buy the lil plastic or rubber mat to put under your stand. A good idea when parking on soft grass or sandy area too.

Trick is remembering to pick it up when you leave - I like the fishing nylon idea!!

Dodger
2nd March 2010, 15:16
I have a nice hole where I park my bike at work (past 3 years) on the plus side I can park it in the same spot each day :)

sunhuntin
2nd March 2010, 15:43
Yep.. meeee tooo!! easy peasy!! :Punk: I have a small hole drilled into one corner & some fishing nylon tied to it which I loop over my handlebar.. so when you're ready to ride off.. you sit on your bike.. lift it off the side stand, then you simply pull up the metal plate with the nylon.. & put it in your tankbag!! & wallah!! great for gravel, wet grass, & hot ashphalt! :yes:

im gonna have to do that with my bit of wood. its tricky on some surfaces trusting the bike to stay put for the time it takes to retrieve the wood.

nodrog
2nd March 2010, 15:49

and was he riding around on his sidestand?

yachtie10
2nd March 2010, 16:21
same happened to me
but my bike has a centre stand so i just use that if its hot out

stify
2nd March 2010, 17:18

I find my blade is very prone to sinking into tee asphalt...more so than any other honda I've ever owned anyway

Kinje
3rd March 2010, 12:53
My stand managed to go through a crappy bit of asphalt at the edge of the road in Franz Joseph town and fell against the car parked next to it :( Broke off the bike mirror, but pannier bags saved anything worse.

sinfull
3rd March 2010, 13:17
To fix the hole try chipping off a bit of asphalt from somewhere else (quiet deserted road) soak it in deisel till it softens and bung the hole with a bit of it
Just wondering if some of these stands that are sinking might be getting quite warm, ie very close to the bikes motor ? Can't say it's ever happened to me, but i don't live in a flash place with a smooth drive haha mine cracks windscreens on my van with all the flexing !

pyrocam
3rd March 2010, 14:57
To fix the hole try chipping off a bit of asphalt from somewhere else (quiet deserted road) soak it in deisel till it softens and bung the hole with a bit of it
Just wondering if some of these stands that are sinking might be getting quite warm, ie very close to the bikes motor ? Can't say it's ever happened to me, but i don't live in a flash place with a smooth drive haha mine cracks windscreens on my van with all the flexing !
if that actually works thats really clever, might just try it :)

sinfull
3rd March 2010, 15:00
if that actually works thats really clever, might just try it :)
Used to build driveways using truckloads of rotamillings when they did resurfacing, spread it out spray it with deisel and roll it ! Never got a finish like new, but for bunging a hole it would work great

wingnutt
3rd March 2010, 15:26
there is a kind of widish boot you can buy, that you just slip under the stand, for the life of me I cant remember where the hell I saw them sorry,
but you might find them with a search on the net.

cheers,

Robbie

scumdog
3rd March 2010, 17:51
Get a Harley!

Seriously, that's one thing that other brands could copy - a side-stand with a large 'foot', you rarely see a H-D stand sinking into soft ground like other brands do.

Gremlin
9th March 2010, 01:37
I think the easiest thing to do is to rip up all that troublesome tar, and lay concrete instead. That stuff doesn't absorb bikes.

90s
10th March 2010, 11:17
My VTR sunk in to the ashphalt and actually came off its stand and craked the fairing, smashed indicators, broke foot peg and bent gear shifter... and we were about to go to a rally...

Happened to my bike in November. Had to replace one mirror and the screen (found a 2nd hand "buy now" screen on ebay within 1 hour of the accident luckily). Cycle treads guy said why not chuck your glove under the stand if you are uncertain and don't have anything else handy.

vifferman
10th March 2010, 12:36
Neither of us sit on our bikes with the sidestand down.
Conicidentally, for the first time in many moons, both bikes are at work today, so I had another look. From the front, both bikes lean at the same angle, and the sidestands stick out at the same angle too. However, from the side, the CBR's stand comes forward more, and the CBR is lower. The area of each foot is retty much the same, but on the CBR is a rounded rectangle, and a slightly longer semi-triangular shape on the VFR. None of this suggests anything at all to account for it, so it may be that at the time there was another factor, such as one sidestand was in shadow, whereas the other was on asphalt in full sunlight. The other thing was my bike was already parked, whereas the CBR possibly parked on pre-heated asphalt. Dunno...

Insanity_rules
11th March 2010, 22:28
Seen that quite a few times with Ducati's. Like Ukusa said keep a piece of wood handy.

Snap, my Ducati does that badly. After the bikeoi I though I wasn't going to be able to extract my bike from the road surface.

MaxB
11th March 2010, 22:47
Emergency sidestand foot

1. Remove beer from fridge
2. Drink beer
3. Crush can so top and base line up
4. Place under sidestand
5. Does not work? Add more cans

FROSTY
12th March 2010, 13:11
Theres a stand puck you can buy.-Looks like a tea cup coaster.
Problem will start to disapear as it gets cooler