PDA

View Full Version : How do you park in a carpark?

sil3nt
2nd March 2010, 17:13
Was thinking today as i parked at work how others park their bikes. I back mine in and leave the front wheel in the same position as the front bumper of a car would be. I do this so the bike can be easily seen and nobody tries to park there.

I ask because i just happened to find this thread and I notice a lot of people ride all the way in so their wheels are at the end of the park making it hard to spot the bike until people start turning in.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/119482-Subway-asian-driver-Well-you-know-what-I-mean

george formby
2nd March 2010, 17:22
Was thinking today as i parked at work how others park their bikes. I back mine in and leave the front wheel in the same position as the front bumper of a car would be. I do this so the bike can be easily seen and nobody tries to park there.

I ask because i just happened to find this thread and I notice a lot of people ride all the way in so their wheels are at the end of the park making it hard to spot the bike until people start turning in.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/119482-Subway-asian-driver-Well-you-know-what-I-mean

Yup, I reverse in & keep my bike visible but hopefully not vulnerable. A lot of time the parling or road is cambered to the kerb & it's a bugger trying to paddle the bike out. Had a couple of close one's in front of my shop here, people spearing into an "empty" space only to find my bike their. Heart stopping for me..

2wheeldrifter
2nd March 2010, 17:41
I just roll up and roll back in on a slight diagonal in the middle of the park till the back wheel hits the kreb.

Never had a problem :)

slofox
2nd March 2010, 17:53
How do you park in a carpark?

I usually stick on the brakes to stop the bike, select neutral, turn off the key, put the stand down and rest the bike on it. Parked!

varminter
2nd March 2010, 18:51
Well he asked for that one. Glad to see the SV is still listed as your bike of choice.

Cayman911
2nd March 2010, 19:39
I just back mine in and turn the wheel inwards. and i do leave it in gear. just in case.

Woodman
2nd March 2010, 20:15
generally right in the middle. I once came out of a shop only to find a guy trying to shift my bike (locked steering) while his wife sat in their car. I asked him what he was doing and he told me that he wanted to park their and that I should have parked in the motorcycle parking spot. I politely disagreed with him and rode off.

Mully
2nd March 2010, 20:51
I politely disagreed with him and rode off.

You're a much better person than I - I would have sat there looking at him just to spite him, instead of giving him the park.

Mind you, I would have beaten seven shades of shit out of the prick if he's been fucking with my bike.

Forest
2nd March 2010, 21:29
I politely disagreed with him and rode off.

I believed your story until I got to this part. :shifty:

davebullet
2nd March 2010, 21:39
Upside down. But seriously...

After all, it's not a car park when you park your bike in it eh?

you are going to have to wake up pretty early to catch me out.

sunhuntin
3rd March 2010, 07:14
i leave mine visible... i try and have the front wheel level with the bumper of the car beside me. ive seen so many cars aiming for an "empty" park, only to find a scooter up against the kerb is already there.

CookMySock
3rd March 2010, 07:29
Avoid parking your bike in a car park. You invite all sorts of problems doing that.

Steve

Eyegasm
3rd March 2010, 07:42
As much as I would like to avoid using a parking space that is intended for 4 wheeled vehicles, it sometimes
is impossible. The 2 main shopping complexes that are close to me do not have any motorbike parks.

The one that is closest to the area can fit a maximum of 4 bikes. and is a 10 minute walk away.

Sod, that I'll take whatever parking space that is available.

Cayman911
3rd March 2010, 07:51
I see a lot of bikes being parked on the sidewalk at malls etc.... not that i havnt done it before

modboy
3rd March 2010, 12:09
When I was on my vespa I came out of the Strathmore 4 Square (Wellington) to find some dumb cow and a taxi driver trying to pull my scooter out from under her SUV, she'd reversed over it and blamed me cos I parked it where she couldn't see it.

Lesson learnt - make your bike as visible as possible to braindead car drivers.

slofox
3rd March 2010, 12:25
When I was on my vespa I came out of the Strathmore 4 Square (Wellington) to find some dumb cow and a taxi driver trying to pull my scooter out from under her SUV, she'd reversed over it and blamed me cos I parked it where she couldn't see it.

Lesson learnt - make your bike as visible as possible to braindead car drivers.

I hope you kicked the living snot out of her, didja? Coz I would've...verbally anyway...

avgas
3rd March 2010, 12:58
avgas does not park. he slides his bike to a stop and calls the ambulance. parking is for pussies

kevfromcoro
3rd March 2010, 14:20
Nothing worse than parking your bike in a carpark ,, and come out and someone has run a shopping trolley into it.

Here is the answer...

In ozz all the trollys are chained to-gether.. there is a lock on the bar..
put a $1 or $2 dollar coin in it.. and you are able to unlock it.
Finish your shoppng , put the trolly bak, stick the key in. and then able to get your money back.

Says trollies been strewn around the carkpark.

Also saves the co. from employing a trolly boy..

MarkH
6th March 2010, 11:48
I back mine in and leave the front wheel in the same position as the front bumper of a car would be. I do this so the bike can be easily seen and nobody tries to park there.

That pretty much describes how I do it. I figure it saves hassles for a car driver that might think there is an empty space, go to park in it, spot a bike then reverse out and find another spot. It also saves me hassles from when a car driver fails to spot the bike and drives into it.

I also park as close to where I want to be as I can - if that means nabbing a prime car parking spot then so what?

If the parking spot is uphill then I ride into the spot forward and stop with my rear wheel in line with the outer part of the cars. When I leave I can easily roll back the ride away. If the parking spot is downhill then I will ALWAYS back into it - way easier to get out that way. My bike has a dry weight of 199kg and pushing it backwards up an incline is something to avoid if you can.

PrincessBandit
6th March 2010, 18:18
I go along with what MarkH said. Because I'm lacking in the muscles dept and my bike is about 215 kg dry (so for me it's a reeeeeeeal bitch to try and walk uphill) I just look for the easiest place to get it out of. Along with that I also take into account the slope, if any, of the area and I've been known to part further away or give up if I can't find anywhere that I could park with confidence.

When I do find a spot, I too position the bike so that it's as visible as possible - generally not too far into the space. I wonder if a large psychedelic image on the back of my topbox might make it a bit more noticeable, but that might be being a bit too silly....

Genie
6th March 2010, 18:21
How do I park in a carpark? BADLY!

Seriously, I hate carparks. My dents are testament to my bad carparking. I always get it wrong, I think it's due to my not licking small, enclosed tight spaces.

When upon my bike I don't care how far I need to walk I will park my bike with plenty of space so I can't hit other vehicles and they can't hit my bike.

Did you know I love my bike?

Coldrider
6th March 2010, 18:29
.... I think it's due to my not licking small, enclosed tight spaces. Me niether ...lol

FJRider
6th March 2010, 18:30
Seriously, I hate carparks. My dents are testament to my bad carparking. I always get it wrong, I think it's due to my not licking small, enclosed tight spaces.

When upon my bike I don't care how far I need to walk I will park my bike with plenty of space so I can't hit other vehicles and they can't hit my bike.

Did you know I love my bike?

Car parks can be fun ... supermarket one's are cool. Those that have driven through and parked so they drive straight out I love. I park with my drivers door right next to theirs ... and climb out the passenger door, just to watch their reaction when they get back to their car ... SUV's are my main "targets" ... :lol:

Genie
6th March 2010, 18:32
Car parks can be fun ... supermarket one's are cool. Those that have driven through and parked so they drive straight out I love. I park with my drivers door right next to theirs ... and climb out the passenger door, just to watch their reaction when they get back to their car ... SUV's are my main "targets" ... :lol:

as you lay in wait with camera ready to snap a pic of their utter frustration....you nasty little man :lol:

(unless of course it is vicious women with superior attitude)

kwaka_crasher
6th March 2010, 18:40
Reverse in parking smack bang in the middle.

FJRider
6th March 2010, 18:41
as you lay in wait with camera ready to snap a pic of their utter frustration....you nasty little man :lol:

(unless of course it is vicious women with superior attitude)

I wouldn't be as mean as to take photo's ... unless she was HOT. But if she was ... I'd try to "console" her ... :innocent:

kwaka_crasher
6th March 2010, 18:43
I think it's due to my not licking small, enclosed tight spaces.

No problem. I'll do that for you! :blip:

Disclaimer: subject to receipt of actual photo

FJRider
6th March 2010, 18:46
No problem. I'll do that for you! :blip:

Disclaimer: subject to receipt of actual photo

I wondered how long ... :lol:

kwaka_crasher
6th March 2010, 18:48
I wondered how long ... :lol:

You snooze, you lose...

The funny thing is she blinged me saying "That is the way to do it! Assertive and firm." But it turned out it was for the first post. :rofl:

Coldrider
6th March 2010, 18:49
You snooze, you lose...

The funny thing is she blinged me saying "That is the way to do it! Assertive and firm." But it turned out it was for the first post. :rofl:I was just too polite.

kwaka_crasher
6th March 2010, 18:51
I was just too polite.

Translation: The wife was watching over my shoulder with her rolling pin...

Genie
6th March 2010, 18:53
You snooze, you lose...

The funny thing is she blinged me saying "That is the way to do it! Assertive and firm." But it turned out it was for the first post. :rofl:

yes....the post mentioning your parking style.....it's like being on the road...assertive, claiming your right to the road, your right to the carpark....ooops, car bike not bike park. we're all wrong for parking a bike in a CAR park....(slaps forehead, duh!)

Genie
6th March 2010, 18:54
Translation: The wife was watching over my shoulder with her rolling pin...

out of bling but that deserves some :lol:

FJRider
6th March 2010, 18:55
You snooze, you lose...

The funny thing is she blinged me saying "That is the way to do it! Assertive and firm."

A certain degree of firmness is preferred by both parties ....

note to Genie ... keep a dictionary handy ....

Genie
6th March 2010, 19:00
A certain degree of firmness is preferred by both parties ....

note to Genie ... keep a dictionary handy ....

typo....and I blame bourban

FJRider
6th March 2010, 19:03
....and I blame bourban

Too much .... or not enough ... ???

Genie
7th March 2010, 06:40
now back to parking.......

scumdog
7th March 2010, 08:34
I think it's due to my not licking small, enclosed tight spaces.

Whereas I just LOVE licking small enclosed tight spaces..........

kwaka_crasher
7th March 2010, 11:02
now back to parking.......

Or NOT.....

Whereas I just LOVE licking small enclosed tight spaces..........