PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Suzuki GSX400f - Temp gauge jumping?

no_8wire
2nd March 2010, 18:31
I have just noticed a problem with my bike. Coming home from work on Monday after coming of the motorway I noticed that temperature gauge was erratic. It was jumping up to close to hot then dropping to nothing on the temperature gauge. I stopped to see if I was leaking etc or if run out of coolant but nothing was out of the norm.

Then this morning, normally the engine would warm up within 5min. However today it didnt show on the gauge for at least 10min.

The only thing that I had done to the bike recently is I have recently stripped down my carbs to clean the pilot jets as they were clogged causing a rough idle. When I put them back together the bike was working sweet smooth idle etc.

(I think I need to clean out the tank and fuel line though as the problem has come back after a day, may need to add a fuel filter)

Any idea on the problem with the temp? Gauge electrical issue or perhaps thermostat/ waterpump?

kwaka_crasher
6th March 2010, 13:37
How quickly was it 'jumping'? Did you check the coolant in the radiator or just in the reservoir?

It might have paid to mention this on your other thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/119892-Causes-of-backfiring-raised-idle?p=1129672896#post1129672896)...

no_8wire
6th March 2010, 20:10
I checked radiator after I stripped bike at home (located under tank) and it was topped up.

I think I have found the issue though, a resistor that someone had soldered in the the wiring by the temp sensor had come loose under the duct tape.I think that any bump would have been enough to jolt it from connecting briefly causing the drop. Firmly redid the connection and hopefully that sorts that issue. (Will see on monday anyway)