PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Zeal suspension preload?

MattRiddell
3rd March 2010, 11:45
Hi,

Just got a Yamaha Zeal 250 and haven't ridden for 15 years :)

So, the rear suspension is a bit on the spongy side, and I thought I'd have a go at increasing the preload.

Got an owner's manual, and it shows the location to do it.

So, a few questions:

1. It seems near to impossible to rotate the thingies that increase the preload (should I just use a screwdriver or something)?

2. Am I doing the right thing? I.E. would increasing the preload tighten the rear suspension?

3. How the hell am I supposed to get at the right hand one? It's in behind the pipes and I can't get a screwdriver or allen key in there to rotate it - obviously don't want to end up with just one done :D

So, hi all, will hang out here a bit - awesome forum.

Oh and the reason I'm riding a Zeal and not my ideal bike is that I'm still learning and it seems to be a pretty nice bike to learn on.

Ex wife has a Bandit and it's insane to ride - actually giving her lessons was the reason I ended up getting a bike - so much fun!

Gibbo89
8th June 2010, 16:17
bump. was this issue ever sorted for you Matt?

Hitcher
8th June 2010, 21:04
Rather than faff around with the stock Zeal rear suspension, I'd recommend getting some aftermarkets that have preload and rebound adjustment. A few hundred dollars spent will greatly improve things like handling, enjoyment and tyre wear.

pmcdermo
22nd September 2010, 15:06
I just undid the bolts at the top and bottom of the shock, whipped it off an uncreased the preload off the bike. Then put it back on. I doubt you could do it on the bike with scratching something