PDA

View Full Version : Dyno tuning?

georgedubyabush
9th November 2003, 21:05
How often should a Sportbike get a tune up?

Ive had the zxr250 about a year now and suspect it's needed. It's started to flatspot a bit around the 15000rpm mark, and generally seems less smooth. For instance, the throttle seems 'jerky' coming on the gas out of a corner. Top speed has dropped also, it doesnt seem to want to pull past about 175. A tank of gas is lasting me about 180kms at best and I'm sure it used to more.

So verdicts anyone? clean out? tuneup?

:doctor:

matthewt
9th November 2003, 21:47
I used to get my 95 fireblade tuned every 10,000k and I would notice a slight improvement. The MV (and a lot of modern sports bikes) require a service every 6,000k, although every 2nd service is simply an oil change and check-over. I'd say you should do a decent service/tune at least every 10,000k - 15,000k.

If you think the fuel range has dropped then you could be running to rich. A decent Dyno will tell you for sure as one of the key things a Dyno will tell you is the air to fuel ratio.

Even if you bike is running well a Dyno run is good incase sometime in the future your bike starts to run like crap or you start adding performance bits in. At least then you have something real to compare against.

750Y
10th November 2003, 12:46
get a tune-up ie float levels checked, carbs balanced, plugs cleaned/replaced, air filter cleaned/replaced, valve clearances done, everything checked over. maybe even a compression/ leakdown test. MatthewT is correct, most dyno-rooms have an air/fuel meter(sniffer) which allows for pinpoint tuning & even better if your bike doesn't have ram-air.