PDA

View Full Version : Increasing road safety poll

R-Soul
4th March 2010, 07:37
Heads up:
There is a poll currently on the Herald:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10629647
What needs to be done to make our roads safer?

I reckon that if they allow bikers to use the bus lanes on the motorways, this would go some way to helping (especially in light of the fuss they made on how dangerous bikes are that they must increase the ACC levies). So I put my two cents worth in.

Anyone else feel free to rant (cheesecutter campaign)?

Scuba_Steve
4th March 2010, 08:35
I believe bikes are already able to use bus lanes, they just don't publicize the fact (one of many not openly publicized of course). And a BIG step towards safer roads is making these "speed trap scams" illegal, also people learning how to drive wouldn't go a miss neither!

R-Soul
4th March 2010, 08:39
I believe bikes are already able to use bus lanes

Not on motorways - that is still illegal. The buslanes controlled by Auckland City council are fine for bikes to use. But not motorways as they are controlled and subject to laws made by LTNZ.

avgas
4th March 2010, 08:51
I reckon we make the roads more dangerous.
Ban tarseal. Ban ABS. Ban Traction control. Ban grip on tyres.
Its too easy to get in or on a vehicle today and just plod down the road. The road would be super safe if only the brave ventured onto it.

Headbanger
4th March 2010, 08:57
Tax cars off the road, Dedicated bike lanes, Mandatory 3 week driver/rider training every 3 years, Lower cost of bike ownership via removal of bullshit taxes, Government to subsidies range of 150cc bikes for everyone. A smack to the face for every single fuckball polictician in NZ.

Jase H
4th March 2010, 11:39
How about making folk get their full motorcycle licence before they're allowed to apply for their car licence?

I've been driving for 20 years but only riding for 2 1/2. However, I feel the skills I've needed to learn to be safe on the bike has made me a safer driver, and I've become more 'bike aware' when I'm behind the wheel. Also, as you get the bike before you buy a car, if you don't need the boot space you may consider riding instead of driving - less running cost (notwithstanding ACC, dammit), less pollution and less congestion.

Not really a practical thing to implement, which is a shame. All the hoons that normally tear down the road in something that hisses when you change gear (and maybe not even insured) would take themselves out by riding recklessly on the bike rather than take everyone else out when losing control of four wheels.

centaurus
4th March 2010, 11:45
I "like" their wording. Looks like we have been put in the same basket with drunk drivers and teenage boy racers and are to be "targeted" by the government. It shows their real intentions towards bikers. I believe they are planning to do the same thing that is being happening in UK and other countries - slowly push bikes off the road by taxes, laws and restrictions, because in their eyes they are too dangerous.

Scuba_Steve
4th March 2010, 12:01
I reckon we make the roads more dangerous.
Ban tarseal. Ban ABS. Ban Traction control. Ban grip on tyres.
Its too easy to get in or on a vehicle today and just plod down the road. The road would be super safe if only the brave ventured onto it.

Think your on the right track there (with exception to the grip thing) but don't upkeep the roads that'll stop the "boyracers" (they're apparently dangerous). it'll be cheaper and it'll give my Land Rover & CR250 some action on a day to day basis.
Also it's true the easier the road & car, the worse the driver.

Swoop
4th March 2010, 14:33
As stated around here, quite often...

A large steel spike located on the top of the steering wheel of all vehicles, would make a lot of difference.

Cayman911
4th March 2010, 15:34
As stated around here, quite often...

A large steel spike located on the top of the steering wheel of all vehicles, would make a lot of difference.

amen, im surprised how many people try to ram me outa my own lane. and when you abuse them in anger they dont understand because they cant speak english...
so how am i supposed to expect them to know the road rules.... tsk tsk tsk... its not even a goddamn road rule. GO STRAIGHT!!!

oldrider
4th March 2010, 15:36
I "like" their wording. Looks like we have been put in the same basket with drunk drivers and teenage boy racers and are to be "targeted" by the government. It shows their real intentions towards bikers. I believe they are planning to do the same thing that is being happening in UK and other countries - slowly push bikes off the road by taxes, laws and restrictions, because in their eyes they are too dangerous.

Yes, that was my first impression too when I read this in the Otago Daily! (grouped in with drunk drivers etc)

The AA were being quoted in the same article, that prick Noon will have his finger in this pie, he is anti motorcycle to the core!

:kick: Kicks us in the nuts every chance he gets!