PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal for a Honda CBR600f2 - 1994

NewRob
7th March 2010, 14:29
Hi all. I was thinking of up-grading to a 600cc. I know how my CBR250cc feels like riding,but yesterday I went on a test ride on a CBR600ccf2. The problem that I want to know, is it normal when we put in 1st & 2nd gear we get a thud noise like the gear is engage but once we reach 3rd gear in goes in smoothly...don't feel a thing. The bike goes well and smooth. The next thing I notice the bike sometimes pull to the left when I let go off the handle at a slow speed. As I was riding and took a ride hand turn and wanted to lean in, I felt the bike pulling to the left(out side to road shoulder) I just have to lead up a bit and the bike took the corner well....But then I notice the front tyre is to it's minimum tread. I was riding two up with my wife at the back.
When I got back to the shop, and told the sales man..he said that it is normal for this bike to have that kind of thud noise when changing the first two gear as the gear teeth is big and when we engage in gear the sound/feel/jerk is when the gear grip each other. About the pulling, he say it might be because of the bald tyres.
So, all off you that have riden this kind of bike...would like your input.
Thanks.

p.dath
7th March 2010, 15:43
I have an 2000 F4, and I often get the thud shifting into 1st.

The bike is well balanced, and shouldn't lean or pull either way. I suspect you need the tyres replaced (since nearly worn) and re-balanced.

However, it isn't really a 2-UP bike. You sure it wasn't just the way your wife was leaning that made it pull?

Coldrider
7th March 2010, 15:59
I had a '93 F2 for six years.
Yes they have a notchy gearbox as described, compounded by alot of gearchanging till they get on song. I spent alot of time on the front forks, never really felt planted on fast sweeping corners at above the limit so to speak.
As for the pulling to the left, it maybe bald tyres, but you should check its alignment before purchasing.
With new tyres and well setup suspension they are pretty sweet for midsize bike.

SMOKEU
7th March 2010, 18:07
My MC19 feels a bit rough shifting from neutral to 1st gear and 1st to 2nd. I don't see it as being a problem.

NewRob
7th March 2010, 20:37
Thank for all the advice/input. The shop guy told me that he will give me a set of new tyres and will check the pulling probelm for me ( My wife have riden with me many times and she know how to lean in ). As for the two up, well both my wife and myself are quite light and this bike took our weight...it was easy to take off. I tried from start to second gear, we were clocking at about 125km/h in just a few seconds, not bad for an older model. I will be shopping around for a CBR600. Don't want any bigger as I am a short ass and like to at least have both my feet on the ground..Haha. Maybe a newer model like the f4. Must sell off my beloved MC19 bike first. My bike does not have this kind of rough shifting from neutral to 1st gear or to any other gear. I only have this probelm if my chain was loose. Anyway, Thanks to all.

tigertim20
7th March 2010, 21:37
Hi all. I was thinking of up-grading to a 600cc. I know how my CBR250cc feels like riding,but yesterday I went on a test ride on a CBR600ccf2. The problem that I want to know, is it normal when we put in 1st & 2nd gear we get a thud noise like the gear is engage but once we reach 3rd gear in goes in smoothly...don't feel a thing. The bike goes well and smooth. The next thing I notice the bike sometimes pull to the left when I let go off the handle at a slow speed. As I was riding and took a ride hand turn and wanted to lean in, I felt the bike pulling to the left(out side to road shoulder) I just have to lead up a bit and the bike took the corner well....But then I notice the front tyre is to it's minimum tread. I was riding two up with my wife at the back.
When I got back to the shop, and told the sales man..he said that it is normal for this bike to have that kind of thud noise when changing the first two gear as the gear teeth is big and when we engage in gear the sound/feel/jerk is when the gear grip each other. About the pulling, he say it might be because of the bald tyres.
So, all off you that have riden this kind of bike...would like your input.
Thanks.

apart from the steering thing, yep bout right, mine clunks into first, and often second. the steering issue i would out down to tyres and balancing. awesome bikes for long distance, I regularly do 1000+km in a day on mine

F5 Dave
8th March 2010, 09:46
I'd tread with care. if alignment is out the bike tends to wander in a slow weave at slow speed. But pulling ton one side sounds like it is bent in some fashion, I can't see how worn tyres will favour pulling one way even if the road cambers that way. It is 16 years old, like;y it's had a decent prang at some time. I almost bought one 2nd hand back in the day. I test rode one, but it was a repair &, well yeah the front end was twisted & it felt funny.

puddytat
8th March 2010, 11:16
Im with F5 Dave on this one....check the wheel alignment for a start but you really want the ole straight edge or string system as even though the rear wheel swingarm alignment marks might be "correct" you could be quite surprised if you checked it with the string method (do a search)
As for pulling to one side, ride it again by yourself & get it into second.....pop it back into neutral & while coasting take both hands of the bars...if its pulling to one side it'll be bent.

NewRob
12th March 2010, 20:44
Hi All. Thanks for all the help. I went back and test ride alone and with the correct tyre pressure it was good. Now with new tyres...it is even better. So at the end, I bought the bike from Botany Honda. Took it home and change the look(add colours), as I didn't want it to have the same old look as what the last owner had.
Thanks again. Hope to see you all around some day. Cheers!

p.dath
13th March 2010, 09:02
That certainly is a change! Did you applying the pin-striping and vynol yourself?

NewRob
13th March 2010, 19:46
Yes, I bought the colour stickers from sign supplies in church street east. Got home, cut out the shape I wanted and put it on. Took me a day as I change the design a few times. Haha. Just hope that the design is not too striking...haha..

sil3nt
13th March 2010, 20:12
Thats a nice improvement! Good looking bike.

NewRob
14th March 2010, 14:36
Got the bike thursday, all was well. Did the body stripes on friday...didn't ride it at all. Saturday morning wanted to go for a ride, battery is dead. Took it off and drove to Botany Honda...they gave me a temporary one and said they would check my battery. Went back put in their loanner battery and it started. Rode the bike to them and ask them if they wanted to check the bike, told them I think that the bike is not charging properly...( sales guy busy with someone)parts guy say no need it should be fine,it will only fry their battery. Rode the bike to north shore and back...all ok. Sunday morning got up early to go for the Westpac rescue ride. Battery flat again. What a day. Try to call the guy who sold me the bike on his HP, no answer. Guess the regulator is out. Have to call them on Monday to get the bike sorted.....rant over.....Hope to get the bike on the road again as soon as possible as I use it go get to work.

NewRob
17th March 2010, 17:51
Got my bike picked up on Monday for them to check and I had my old bike back for work. Tuesday got a call at about 3pm+ to collect my bike. Went there, bike was ready..had a chat with the mechanic and he told me that the rectifier had fried and kill the battery. They have put new parts for me. Now the bike runs sweet. Today, I put a thicker heat sink plate with a small fan for my rectifier. Now's time to test how good my little modification is. Cheers