PDA

View Full Version : Honda CBR1000R5 - I got a lemon...

ams67
13th May 2005, 01:21
Hi All,
I need an advice.
I bought a Honda CBR1000RR mod. 2005.
It was my dream bike until I start to have a long list of trouble with her:
1. After 2 days of the purchase, while I was going at work the bike stopped on the motorway. I had to wait about 30 mins before the bike started again.
2. After a week a very annoying ticking noise started to get louder and louder.
So I brought the bike to the Honda dealer. They opened the head and replaced the shim.
I was not a happy chap as the bike was only a week old and they already had to open the head. I asked to replace the bike but they assured me that the fault was rectified.
3. Few months later I went to the South Island with my mates. Beautiful trip, until, in the middle of nowhere, the clutch started to slip. I managed to get to Timaru so I went to the local Honda dealer. They opened the clutch and found that it fried because of lack of oil circulation. It happed just after 3,500Km on the clock!. So they drilled some additional holes in the inner clutch hub to improve the oil circulation after replacing the fried plates. I was very pissed off. It spoiled my trip as I had to wait 2 days for the parts.
4. Furthermore the side stand came loose. So after I parked the side stand failed cracking the fairing.
4. When I was about 200km from Auckland the bloody ticking noise started again.

I went back to the Honda dealer in Auckland and I said that I don’t want that lemon. I asked for a replacement. They addressed me to the Honda Distributor. They wanted to assess the bike so I gave the bike to the Honda dealer asking for a courtesy bike. They gave me a rusty Suzuki 250 Volty. As I use the bike everyday I found pretty embarrassing riding that rusty vacuum cleaner (with all due respect to the Volty owners).

They told me that I will receive the bike back within a couple of days. Three weeks later I was still riding the ‘vacuum cleaner’.

Finally after almost 4 weeks they said that the bike is ready. They told me that they could not fix the ticking noise and therefore is a normal noise, plus they replaced the drilled inner clutch hub with a standard one. They could not find the reasons of the clutch failure. They also said that they would replace the cracked fairing.
From my perspective that bike had already enough issue for a brand new bike. So I was still trying to get a replacement.

Anyway I was so happy to get a real bike (even a lemon) and return the Volty back to the dealer that I was prepared to ride the Honda even with a just one working cylinder.
So I started the bike and a raved a bit.
Arrggghh!!
After about 5k RPM the power was cut!!!! What the he….!!! It was a new electrical problem.
I was lucky because I was still to the Honda dealer. They took the bike back to the workshop and they gave me a Honda CBR600. I was so pissed off. I refused to get that lemon back. I do not expect to have all these problems with a brand new bike. I gave them the chance to rectify the issues and they failed. Therefore I wanted a new bike.
The bike went back to the Honda Distributor. They said that the fault could be related to the wiring, so they ordered from Belgium. I didn’t care as I asked for a replacement.

Today after 5 weeks without my bike I received a letter from Honda Distributor stating that it was my fault if the clutch fried "...was caused by incorrect operator usage, and not from any design defect ...", it was my fault if the side stand failed, the ticking noise is normal and the parts will probably arrive in NZ around the 17th of May.
Basically they said: Get Stuffed!

Considering this:
http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/motorvehicles/mv-problems/faultymv-post-15-Dec.html

What shall I do? Did you ever have similar issues with a dealer?
However, one thing is sure: I will never buy a Honda for the rest of my life. Shame on them!!!

<End of Rant>

N4CR
13th May 2005, 01:27
Throw the friggen book at them in my opinion :mad: the issues you have had are totally unacceptable! How can a new bike sent in to be 'fixed' come back still stuffed :bs: Argh!!! must make you so darn annoyed, new bike and all that waiting just to get screwed over. :no: Condolences to you my freind.

Best of luck too :Punk:

edit : post in the newbies section and introduce yourself! (WELCOME!! :niceone: )

Odin
13th May 2005, 01:55
I would also go the leagel way. I'm just guessing that since its a 1000cc that you have been riding for a while and know how to handle a clutch. If you have, as they say "missused" the clutch why did you not frie it on the other bikes you have had ?

All good luck to you and who is the dealer ? Honda in Auck ?

Mooch
13th May 2005, 02:05
Consumer rights looks to be the best bet , but consider the follow.
Write to Honda NZ and explain what's happened with your bike and the outcome that you want . Mention that 1100 kiwibiker members are most interested in the outcome . With the dealer you could have some recourse via the Motor Vehicle Dealers Institute . If the dealer is part of the MTA then the MTA offers a mediation service. http://www.mvdi.co.nz/?id=240 .
Otherwise do as many Honda reviews on the internet on various sites so Honda can improve this model for future owners.

Brian d marge
13th May 2005, 02:05
Nope
you shouldnt get treated like that ...what the dealer is saying is pure crap ....As has been suggested throw the book at em

If you need help ( and it is genuine ...sorry ) I may be able to help this end ...I know a few people from the car design plant here in Wako and I know how they feel about their product and would be VERY interested in and production or manufacturing fault.

BUT ,,,I have had customers who have fitted new chrome aftermarket levers to brand new gold wing and the levers were badly made and kept the clutch on and the brakes slightly on ..and they have ridden it untill the clutch pack had welded itself together
So assuming you aint in the above catagory I am more than willing to get on the phone this end

but you are right and the dealer is full of it ....( assuming )

Stephen

Zed
13th May 2005, 02:11
Hi All,
I need an advice.

Today after 5 weeks without my bike I received a letter from Honda Distributor stating that it was my fault if the clutch fried "...was caused by incorrect operator usage, and not from any design defect ...", it was my fault if the side stand failed, the ticking noise is normal and the parts will probably arrive in NZ around the 17th of May.

Considering this:
http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/motorvehicles/mv-problems/faultymv-post-15-Dec.html

However, one thing is sure: I will never buy a Honda for the rest of my life. Shame on them!!!

<END Rant of>Hi ams67 & welcome to the site.

Not a good note to start on. Sorry to hear you've had such a bad run with your new bike, what a terrible experience to go through! Sounds like you've done the right things so far by returning it to the supplier, etc, that's what I would have done too.

Short of legal action you may just have to hang in there and wait for the parts to arrive and also put up with that foreign noise - hopefully you won't have any more probs with it in future! Sorry to hear it's put you off Hondas for good, I've had next to no probs with the 4 CBR's I've owned over the years.

Keep us posted with your progress. :wavey:

Zed

Zapf
13th May 2005, 02:21
Hello ams,
Sorry to hear about your problem. Since I noted that you are new to KB I would like to extend a warm welcome.

Do understand thou that none of us know or have met you, and knows how you ride. It could very well that the clutch problem is to do with you? (perhaps).... but none of the others should have happened.

Now the Consumers Gar... Act, is between you and the business you bought the bike off. So it has nothing to do with the Distrubitor, hence if the dealer is not treating you right. Then give them a written complain, with a dead line for a resolution. And if nothing by then you'll go and get the Act applied to them.

The crowd that brings in Honda's bike to NZ is Blue wing honda, so I would also think you might like to give them a visit yourself and perhaps give them a piece of your mind.

Also it may also help contacting the Official Honda riders club, as they have close relationship with Blue wing honda.

And you should also try to claim for all the cost and expense incurred due to the failing bike when you are travelling, since you have notified the Honda dealer that there is a general problem with the bike. Yet they insist that it is ok. Because if they did replace the bike, the follow on problems would most likely not have occured.

Good luck and keep us posted.... :no:

oh and thought of complaining directly to Japan?

Cheers
Zapf

jimbo600
13th May 2005, 05:59
I don't think it's unique to Honda. Alot of bike manufacturers in NZ treat customers like crap and often have the attitude that we are very fortunate to be able to buy their products. If it were a Holden you would have had a replacement vehicle straight away. It's time for us consumers to toughen the fuck up and not stand for this bollocks anymore.

Storm
13th May 2005, 07:06
Dont stand for that kind of crap mate, give em hell till they make good :mad:

Riff Raff
13th May 2005, 07:19
Don't take it lying down - this is not acceptable in a brand new bike. Have you thought about going to Fair Go - get them to help fight your battle and it brings your plight out in public. No one likes adverse publicity.

And then when it's all sorted - go out and buy a Suzuki!

Hooks
13th May 2005, 07:20
I don't think it's unique to Honda. Alot of bike manufacturers in NZ treat customers like crap and often have the attitude that we are very fortunate to be able to buy their products. If it were a Holden you would have had a replacement vehicle straight away. It's time for us consumers to toughen the fuck up and not stand for this bollocks anymore.

Yeah mate ... What he said !! :mad: ... And next time buy Suzuki .... :killingme

Give them hell .. :devil2: .. and name that dealer .... :yes:

Make a list of all the things that you have had to suffer under, expenses waiting for parts,accomodation & food etc, extra fuel costs, all that kind of thing. max it right out and put a dollar value on it ... then they might decide it would be cheaper to give you a new bike than fight it !!

good luck

Hooks

vifferman
13th May 2005, 08:11
Name that dealer....
I will - it's Cyclespot. (Picked it up from the poxy Suzuki 250 Volty - the same one they gave me when I took the VFR back to have some minor faults rectified). :mad:
They're very good - until they've got your money. Well, they ain't getting any more of mine. Just ordered some parts - from AMPS. I'm giving them a chance to prove they can do customer service better. So far, so good - they didn't ask for cash up front before ordering the parts (unlike Cyclespot) and they had them within 3 days as promised, unlike the 3 weeks I've had to wait in the past.

Anyway, sorry to hear of your problems, ams67. While Honda's do have the odd problem, they're usually VERY reliable. However, I did read last year of a friendof mine (in the USA) who had problems with his CBR1000RR, where the camcahin was very noisy (the ticking you spoke of?), and the dealer wouldn't repair/replace it till it failed.

Given the string of problems you've had with your bike, I reckon the Consumer Guarantees Act is an appropriate recourse for you to get things sorted.

Once again, it appears that getting your money is more important to the dealer than customer service and satisfaction.

trev
13th May 2005, 08:54
Most Citizens Advice Bureaus have a free legal service where you get a short period of time to receive advice (only) from a lawyer.
Check out the CGA - it is powerful for the consumer. I know I am potentially
on the receiving end in my business.
e.g. - my understanding is that you as the consumer do not have to prove your claims - the other party has to prove you are wrong.

TwoSeven
13th May 2005, 09:05
Consumer rights looks to be the best bet , but consider the follow.
Write to Honda NZ and explain what's happened with your bike and the outcome that you want . Mention that 1100 kiwibiker members are most interested in the outcome . With the dealer you could have some recourse via the Motor Vehicle Dealers Institute . If the dealer is part of the MTA then the MTA offers a mediation service. http://www.mvdi.co.nz/?id=240 .
Otherwise do as many Honda reviews on the internet on various sites so Honda can improve this model for future owners.

Dont write to mainline honda - phone them up and get an immediate response. Personally, the bike is still under warrantee, its faulty and should be replaced. One or two faults ok, but more than that means its a defective machine and is 'not fit for purpose'.

MD
13th May 2005, 09:13
Welcome ams67. Firstly, check the labels on the bike. Are you sure they say Honda? Just joking, sounds like you have got the one in 10,000 lemon. Sorry to hear of your problems -THEY ARE NOT NORMAL FOR ANY JAP BIKE but the poor service you are getting is abnormal ! I agree you deserve a full replacement new bike and the one you have should be returned to Honda or used as a demonstrator, not that it will gain many sales by the way it craps out. That'll test their faith in their own repair job.
This might not cheer you up but the Wgtn shop I used are far better. e.g. the first shipment of CBR1000s had a weak spot on a side fairing and mine developed a hairline crack about 5 cms. Without hesitation the shop replaced both sides free.
I've done 20,000kms on same model. My alternator shorted recently, again unusual fault but the shop immediately got to work on it same day, ordered parts and gave me a good loaner. Never charged me a cent.
Your side stand being loose- again I blame your shop for that. I've not heard of others having your list of problems and the shop and Blue wing should go the extra distance to put it right.
Absolute bollocks them saying your riding did the clutch in. ITS THEIR HIGH PERFORMANCE SPORTS BIKE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Built to race and be ridden hard. That's why the factory gives a warranty - it has faith in its product and is prepared to right the odd exception. I've given mine some good workouts on road and track days no problem- that's why we buy them Mr Honda. Next they will say the dirt bikes shouldn't be taken off sealed roads in case water & dirt affects the performance. No modern sportsbike should have weak clutches. Do they expect Chris Vermuelen to ride gently because the bike wasn't designed for him to race?
Good luck with the outcome but I feel for you, I wouldn't want THAT bike back but please don't think they are all like the one you got.
MD

vifferman
13th May 2005, 09:23
A guy I used to work with bought a brand-new Land Rover Discovery. Within a couple of weeks, he had it dump all its transmission fluid on the side of the road and grind to a halt (it was an auto). They fixed that, he had some more problems, so he demanded his money back. They gave him a replacement instead, and had problems with that, including it boiling over, overheating, etc. He demanded his money back, they quibbled over that, and said they'd fix things up, so he went to his lawyer, had him write to the dealers, and they (eventually) refunded his money in full, based on the CGA, and his lack of confidence they could give him a reliable vehicle (fit for purpose).

ams67
13th May 2005, 09:29
Thank you all for your feedbacks.
I know that Honda is known as a reliable bike. That's why I have 3 Honda at the moment and other 4 in the past.
I also understand that a lemon can happen. What I cannot forgive is not the bike, but the Honda customer service. Basically they assumed that I am going to accept all their craps without any consequence. They treated me like a liar, an imbecille who misuses the clutch to level of make it fry. I have done more than 70% of the total Km done on the CBR1000 riding on motorways .
II ride bike for more 25 years. When I say ride I mean almost every single day. (I hate driving cars and get stuck in the trafic). I have been a very good Honda customer (I bought 7 Honda).
Now that I have an issue with them because they gave me a lemon they are showing their real nature. They don't take their responsability.
What can be a single rider compared with a huge Honda enterprise.
So, I am very disappointed. I hope none of you have to deal with the Honda distributor in Auckland (NZ?).
The only thing left to do is talking again with the Honda dealer and see what they propose. If I will get the same reponse I received from the Honda distributor I will go legally. I will not give up.
Enough is enough.

Thanks again, I will keep you posted.

jazbug5
13th May 2005, 09:41
A little off topic, AMS67- but are you from New Zealand originally?
(I'm a damned foreigner myself, but it's ok- they're kicking me out in a month exactly..)

vifferman
13th May 2005, 09:45
(I'm a damned foreigner myself, but it's ok- they're kicking me out in a month exactly..)
What? That's not good.:mad:
Best you become a terrorist, or join a triad or summat, so you can become more desirable as a potential NZ citizen.

ams67
13th May 2005, 10:17
I just received a phone call from the Honda dealer. They said that because the Honda distributor has decide to not give me the replacement they have their hands tied.
I am very disappointed. I am really not sure what I should do now.
Cheers
Antonio

MSTRS
13th May 2005, 10:51
Engage a lawyer

MSTRS
13th May 2005, 10:54
Quite right too. One-eyed foreigners coming here & taking our jobs etc. Sheesh.
pt

duckman
13th May 2005, 11:20
Hey Antonio,

Glad to see you made it onto the site ....

I would suggest you threaten the Honder dealer with a bad credit rating and then buy a GSXR1000 :devil2:

**should a bought a Suzuki ** :whistle:

That Guy
13th May 2005, 11:36
Get a lawyer onto them if you can afford it. Even just an hour of the lwayer's time to write a formal letter for you (send a draft copy too before hand to the lawyer to get the most value out of your hour).

sAsLEX
13th May 2005, 11:54
contact them with regards to this site! a few thousand members can pack a fair punch when they decide not to buy a paticular brand or from a paticular shop!

Doesn't look good for either Honda or Cyclespot at the mo.

jazbug5
13th May 2005, 12:13
Unacceptable.
Not much more than that to add- but it's hardly a good look, is it? If they have misgivings about how you may have been riding it, why can't they have an independant mechanic do a report on the type of wearing etc?
That at least would lend some credence to their position.

ManDownUnder
13th May 2005, 12:42
From the legal side of things... this in from my sister..

===
The para below is from the Laws of NZ series, the "Sale of
Goods" title (in this title, the law is stated as at 15 December 2003 so
it's pretty up to date).

para 103. Guarantee of acceptable quality in consumer sales

Where goods are supplied to a consumer, there is a guarantee that the
goods are of acceptable quality.1 The guarantee does not apply where any
defects in goods have been specifically drawn to the consumer's
attention before the consumer agrees to the supply.2 In the case of
goods which are displayed for sale or hire, the only defects which are
treated as being specifically drawn to the consumer's attention are
those disclosed on a written notice displayed with the goods.3

1 Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, ss 6, 7(1), definition of acceptable
quality and 2, definitions of goods and consumer. See Motor Vehicle
Disputes Tribunal Decision AK 45/95 [1995] NZAR 230.
2 Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, s 7(2).
3 Ibid, s 7(3).

===
I/she doesn't have access to the See Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal Decision AK 45/95 [1995] NZAR 230. but it might help further...

Be fun to have this printed out and walk into the shop and point out where they stand morally (pissed off customer, biker community knows about it etc) and legally (depending on what you find in the above documentation)

If I recall my uni days with any accuracy at all, good must be fit for the purposes for which they are sold. A car that doesn't go doesn't meet that criteria (and indeed it is a car sale case that sets the precedent for the fitness of purpose test).

I just can't find that case - sorry...

Good luck!
MDU

Death 'N' Taxes
13th May 2005, 13:10
Sorry if some of this has been repeated, but I only skim read previous replies.

In certain circumstances you are able to seek legal redress against the manufacturer under the CGA as well as the dealer/retailer you purchased the goods from.
So you may be able to attack this on two sides.

This website provides a link to all NZ legislation so you can have a look yourself

http://www.legislation.co.nz/

Someone mentioned the Citizens Advice Bureau for getting some high level free advice.
Another option is the Consumer Affairs Department. They engage law grads etc to sit in their office and provide high level free advice in respect of your rights in situations like this.

The Act also outlines various remedies which the supplier must provide for goods that aren't fit for purpose etc.

Hope this is of some help.

HenryDorsetCase
13th May 2005, 13:22
just a couple of points to consider.

Your contractual relationship is with the dealer from whom you purchased.

They have a duty to provide you with what you contracted to receive, i.e. a functioning motorcycle, as someone said "fit for its purpose". I am presuming you are a "Consumer" entitled to the protection of the CGA for the purposes of this, as seems likely from your posts).

There is a procedure in the CGA (basically you have to give them an opportunity to fix it (which you have) etc. The "Getting a refund" option just might not be possible in the circumstances.

You might have a claim for consequential loss (might!) but if it cost you two extra days accommodation in sunny Timaru cos the bike shit itself then thats foreseeable and thus recoverable.

Dont be fobbed off by screeches from the dealer about the distributor not coming to the party. Quite simply that is not your problem. Tell them so.

Get lawyered up.

Give them death.

On a personal note, the only bad experiences I have had with motorcycle dealers have been with Honda. One of the reasons I bought a new Suzuki.

Problem is I want my next bike to be a Ducati, and the dealer here is Honda and Ducati..... grrrrrrrr.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

ManDownUnder
13th May 2005, 13:32
Hey Antonio,

Glad to see you made it onto the site ....

I would suggest you threaten the Honder dealer with a bad credit rating and then buy a GSXR1000 :devil2:

**should a bought a Suzuki ** :whistle:

OI - you upstairs... I haven';t seen you in here for a while... bout bloody time!
MDU

Blakamin
13th May 2005, 15:57
Problem is I want my next bike to be a Ducati, and the dealer here is Honda and Ducati..... grrrrrrrr.

So is the one here now.....

Waylander
13th May 2005, 15:59
Could always come down to Hamilton. Ducati/Triumph/Kawasaki dealer is across the street from the Honda dealer wich is next door tothe Harley/Suzuki dealer.

Madguitarist!
13th May 2005, 17:54
===
I/she doesn't have access to the See Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal Decision AK 45/95 [1995] NZAR 230. but it might help further...

Me missus is a research librarian for Russel McVaegh, I'll get her to try and request for the decision tomorrow.

All the best dude!

WINJA
13th May 2005, 17:59
Hi All,
I need an advice.
1. After 2 days of the purchase, while I was going at work the bike stopped on the motorway. I had to wait about 30 mins before the bike started again.
2. After a week a very annoying ticking noise started to get louder and louder.
So I brought the bike to the Honda dealer. They opened the head and replaced the shim.
I was not a happy chap as the bike was only a week old and they already had to open the head. I asked to replace the bike but they assured me that the fault was rectified.
3. Few months later I went to the South Island with my mates. Beautiful trip, until, in the middle of nowhere, the clutch started to slip. I managed to get to Timaru so I went to the local Honda dealer. They opened the clutch and found that it fried because of lack of oil circulation. It happed just after 3,500Km on the clock!. So they drilled some additional holes in the inner clutch hub to improve the oil circulation after replacing the fried plates. I was very pissed off. It spoiled my trip as I had to wait 2 days for the parts.
4. Furthermore the side stand came loose. So after I parked the side stand failed cracking the fairing.
4. When I was about 200km from Auckland the bloody ticking noise started again.

I went back to the Honda dealer in Auckland and I said that I don’t want that lemon. I asked for a replacement. They addressed me to the Honda Distributor. They wanted to assess the bike so I gave the bike to the Honda dealer asking for a courtesy bike. They gave me a rusty Suzuki 250 Volty. As I use the bike everyday I found pretty embarrassing riding that rusty vacuum cleaner (with all due respect to the Volty owners).

They told me that I will receive the bike back within a couple of days. Three weeks later I was still riding the ‘vacuum cleaner’.

Finally after almost 4 weeks they said that the bike is ready. They told me that they could not fix the ticking noise and therefore is a normal noise, plus they replaced the drilled inner clutch hub with a standard one. They could not find the reasons of the clutch failure. They also said that they would replace the cracked fairing.
From my perspective that bike had already enough issue for a brand new bike. So I was still trying to get a replacement.

Anyway I was so happy to get a real bike (even a lemon) and return the Volty back to the dealer that I was prepared to ride the Honda even with a just one working cylinder.
So I started the bike and a raved a bit.
Arrggghh!!
After about 5k RPM the power was cut!!!! What the he….!!! It was a new electrical problem.
I was lucky because I was still to the Honda dealer. They took the bike back to the workshop and they gave me a Honda CBR600. I was so pissed off. I refused to get that lemon back. I do not expect to have all these problems with a brand new bike. I gave them the chance to rectify the issues and they failed. Therefore I wanted a new bike.
The bike went back to the Honda Distributor. They said that the fault could be related to the wiring, so they ordered from Belgium. I didn’t care as I asked for a replacement.

Considering this:

<End of Rant>
SAME PROBLEMS WITH MY 98 FIREBLADE I BOUGHT IT NEW , IT WAS A PILE OF SHIT IT BROKEDOWN ON THE WAY HOME, I HAD THE BIKE FOR 6 WEEKS AND THE DEALER HAD IT FOR 4 OF THOSE 6 WEEKS MY BIKE HAD AN ENDLESS LIST OF PROBLEMS, HONDA SUCKS AND BLUE WING SUCKS, IVE HAD NEW BIKES WITH WARRANTYS FROM SUZUKI AND KAWASAKI BOTH WERE GOOD TO DEAL WITH, SUZUKI GAVE ME A NEW GSXR1000K3 WITH NO ARGUEMENTS, FUCK HONDA NEVER AGAIN, AND PEOPLE THAT RAVE ABOUT HONDA BUILD QUALITY ARE FULL OF SHIT.
YOU SHOULD BE PISSED OFF , GO GET A ZX10,R1, OR GSXR1000

gav
13th May 2005, 19:02
I just received a phone call from the Honda dealer. They said that because the Honda distributor has decide to not give me the replacement they have their hands tied.
Cheers
AntonioI think you need to mention that its irrelevant for you that the distributor wont supply a replacement bike, as you arent dealing with the distributor. Your claim is with the shop, if they cant get a replacement bike from Blue Wing then they'll have to supply it themselves!

Sensei
13th May 2005, 19:57
Tough break dude as above take them to the cleaners get your money back & buy something that has proven history like a GSXR . They have 21 years of making the leading sports bike ,Plus ya never buy the first new model as those are the ones that haven't been proved fully & all the problems seem to show themselves up on them . Hence why I brought my K3 GSXR Sports bike of the Year 03 What more can one say :niceone:

WINJA
13th May 2005, 20:09
Tough break dude as above take them to the cleaners get your money back & buy something that has proven history like a GSXR . They have 21 years of making the leading sports bike ,Plus ya never buy the first new model as those are the ones that haven't been proved fully & all the problems seem to show themselves up on them . Hence why I brought my K3 GSXR Sports bike of the Year 03 What more can one say :niceone:
AND THAT HONDA CAME LAST IN MASTER BIKE LAST YEAR IT EVEN GOT BEAT BY THE GSXR750, AT $18,000 WITH A FREE CARBON CAN YOU CANT FIND A BETTER DEAL THAN THE GSXR1000 K4

Sensei
13th May 2005, 20:16
May be WhiteTrash could do a deal on a new K5 ??? for us Winja :whistle:

WINJA
13th May 2005, 20:21
May be WhiteTrash could do a deal on a new K5 ??? for us Winja :whistle:
IM TAKING THE K5 1000 TOMOROW ILL SEE HOW IT GOES ,I MIGHT GET A ZX10 YET I DONT KNOW , ALL I KNOW IS MY BIKE IS SCRATCHED AND IT NEEDS A SERVICE SO MIGHT AS WELL GET A NEW ONE

Two Smoker
13th May 2005, 20:26
IM TAKING THE K5 1000 TOMOROW ILL SEE HOW IT GOES ,I MIGHT GET A ZX10 YET I DONT KNOW , ALL I KNOW IS MY BIKE IS SCRATCHED AND IT NEEDS A SERVICE SO MIGHT AS WELL GET A NEW ONE

Make sure you do a write up, im pretty keen on one, but might look at getting a K6 (to have some prettier colours, all though Black looks MINT)

WINJA
13th May 2005, 20:29
Make sure you do a write up, im pretty keen on one, but might look at getting a K6 (to have some prettier colours, all though Black looks MINT)
CANT YOU TAKE THE ONE FROM COLEMANS? MY MATE TOOK THE K5 TODAY AND SAID THE K4 WAS BETTER FOR HIM

Sensei
13th May 2005, 20:33
Once I have a Supercharger bolted onto the K3 its not going to matter what is out there :killingme

Two Smoker
13th May 2005, 20:38
CANT YOU TAKE THE ONE FROM COLEMANS? MY MATE TOOK THE K5 TODAY AND SAID THE K4 WAS BETTER FOR HIM

Cant take it out till next month, havnt got a full licence...

WINJA
13th May 2005, 20:38
Once I have a Supercharger bolted onto the K3 its not going to matter what is out there :killingme
YEAH OK AND ILL GIVE YOU A LIFT HOME WHEN IT GRENADES.
BTW WE SHOULDNT HIJACK THIS POOR BASTARDS THREAD SO BLUE WING HONDA SUCK , ALL HONDAS SUCK INCLUDING OUTBOARDS , MY MATE WAS SAYING HONDA CLAIM THEYVE NEVER HAD A WARRANTY CLAIM ON THEIR NEW OUTBOARD RANGE THATS BECAUSE THEY DONT PAY OUT , THEY GIVE OUT EXCUSES INSTEAD IE YOURE 5 HOURS OVER ON A SERVICE POOR BASTARD

Sensei
13th May 2005, 20:39
[QUOTE=WINJA]IM TAKING THE K5 1000 TOMOROW ILL SEE HOW IT GOES ,I MIGHT GET A ZX10 YET I DONT KNOW

Have riden with a guy that owns a ZX10 mate you can have one , not for me
looks like you are going round a corner with your knee down even when you are riding in a straight line fuck that . Am told they have more top end than a GSXR & the same bottom end so would be a quick bike shame about the comfort thing

WINJA
13th May 2005, 20:41
Cant take it out till next month, havnt got a full licence...
BUT YOU CAN RIDE GOOD ,CAN SOMEONE TAKE IT TO SCENIC DRIVE FOR YOU SO YOU CAN HAVE A BLAT THERE

Two Smoker
13th May 2005, 20:51
BUT YOU CAN RIDE GOOD ,CAN SOMEONE TAKE IT TO SCENIC DRIVE FOR YOU SO YOU CAN HAVE A BLAT THERE

Tempted, may talk to MR... But still do a write up.... all ive heard so far is it has mental acceleration and handles well...

Sensei
13th May 2005, 21:22
Tempted, may talk to MR... But still do a write up.... all ive heard so far is it has mental acceleration and handles well...

That somes up all the late model 1000s as well as the 6undys
Have read Rapids mag write up & sounds like they have stepped the mark up by another 1/2 again from the 04 in every way .
Now thats got to be Very KOOL :Punk:

Zed
13th May 2005, 21:37
...The only thing left to do is talking again with the Honda dealer and see what they propose. If I will get the same reponse I received from the Honda distributor I will go legally. I will not give up.
Enough is enough.Hope you get it sorted in your favour. Affirmative action sounds good! :2guns:

Bartman10
13th May 2005, 22:42
Cheers
Antonio

That's complete bollocks. The dealer is responsible for any problem. That is why you pay them 20-30% above wholesale price. If you're not happy then demand either a full refund or a replacement immediately, from the dealer. It's their responsibility to sort it out with the wholesaler. You should not even have to consider legal action, they know dammed well what the rules are. The bike should run perfectly with no noises, clutch or electrical problems. Get your money back and get a gixxer.

stevedee
13th May 2005, 22:50
Ring TVNZ and tell them you have a good story for Fair Go, give them the details, all of it. Fair Go will have a field day and Honda won't sell bikes for a while. Let the Honda Bros know where you are headed. Put the bike in the garage and wait a week or 2. .....It would make such good TV imagine how bad the Fair Go people could make this look? Honda NZ may just think it is cheaper to look after you than put up with the very very very bad publicity they will reap.

spd:-)

SPORK
13th May 2005, 23:14
Ring TVNZ and tell them you have a good story for Fair Go, give them the details, all of it. Fair Go will have a field day and Honda won't sell bikes for a while. Let the Honda Bros know where you are headed. Put the bike in the garage and wait a week or 2. .....It would make such good TV imagine how bad the Fair Go people could make this look? Honda NZ may just think it is cheaper to look after you than put up with the very very very bad publicity they will reap.

spd:-)
You may be on to something...

TwoSeven
13th May 2005, 23:27
<snip>

The content of this post has been replaced with the following advert:

"Eat at Joes diner"

Proudly brought to you by the yellow banana company.

gav
13th May 2005, 23:41
I've heard of bike shops not being authorised dealers (they have no factory backing) - so what they do is buy the bikes from a dealer, then onsell them. Problem is - they dont have the factory warantee - so unless they are prepared to service it themselves, your out of luck.

Not saying this company is like that - but it does seem a little strange that so many problems are occuring under warantee and they dont seem to want to replace the bike. Does anyone know if Honda have issued a repair notice to drill oil holes in the clutch as was stated above - seems a rather radical thing to do - and i'd expect to see world press on that kind of thing.
Huh? More bollocks again TwoSeven, the bike will have the warranty, not the dealer. You could arrange to buy a brand new Honda from your local Suzuki dealer if you really wanted and the Suzuki dealer wanted, the Suzuki dealer could then service it etc, it will still have a Honda warranty, fact.
More TwoSeven bollocks, just because a bike has a fault doesnt require the bike will be replaced. Generally the fault should be repaired under warranty, this is normal, the issue here is weather the bike has been repaired to the customers satisfaction, clearly it has not. The dealer needs to come to an agreement with the customer, maybe replace the bike, trade it back on something else, or compensate to the customers requirements. And why would you expect to see "world press" on a suggested service bulletin? You'd be suprised some of the stuff that comes in those service bulletins.

CBR97
14th May 2005, 00:12
talk to the Honda , tell them you will go to Fair Go, Id say the marketing Manager for NZ would be a good start. Id ask him to comment on the Lemon, and all the shit your gone thru,

Might make something happen,

:devil2:

2_SL0
14th May 2005, 07:56
Im leaping in a little late, but are they a Honda dealer? If not then Honda can claim the bike was never pd correctly etc. I doupt they would back out of the warranty, but the bike has to be PD by a registered dealer. Also have you followed the service intervals, had the service done by a Honda dealer?
Your gripe is with the dealer, not Honda. This is where it gets sticky if they are not a Honda dealer as they have no backing from the manufacturer.
Regarding the consumers act, I didnt read all what you had written, but bassically it comes down to have they made reasonable effort to rectify the problems in reasonable time, this does include allowing for parts from overseas. If so then they have done their part.
Regarding your clutch, they blame you, this may be true, but they must give you a reason and attempt to explain what you have done wrong etc. Again, if it is your fault, but they have replaced the parts under warranty then they are then doing more than required.
Dont take me wrong, If you do have a case then go for it, but look clearly at the whole thing. Rarely these days will any manufacturer replace a complete bike.

geoffm
14th May 2005, 09:17
Cheers
Antonio

The problems between Honda and their dealer is not your problem. The Consumer Garentees Act is quite clear on this. The Act is online and is pretty straigntfoward. I had to refer to it in the past to see some people see the error of their ways. It also covers you for incidental damages, such as the cost of accomodation, rentals, etc. Highlight this bit and print out the ACt and give them heaps.
Have a word with the citizens advice people and / or a good lawyer, and nail their ass to the wall.

Cyclespot are crap - I have had issues in the past with them.
Service like this really pisses me off, especially since a CBR1000 is an expensive purchase. Don't they realise how poorly this reflects on their business and brand? Stereotypical car salesmen behaviour.
G

ams67
14th May 2005, 09:20
Anyway, I bought the bike from an authorized Honda dealer which I would not recommended to anyone. Also they said that Honda distributor has contacted their solicitor and they think they would win the case. From my side I send them a letter giving them 5 working days to get the bike completely fixed. In the worst scenario I will get the rid of Honda anyway and buy a reliable bike from a reliable dealer.

geoffm
14th May 2005, 09:30
talk to the Honda , tell them you will go to Fair Go, Id say the marketing Manager for NZ would be a good start. Id ask him to comment on the Lemon, and all the shit your gone thru,

Might make something happen,

:devil2:

Do we have any jounalists on the board? A phone call from them about a possible article and would they like to comment before to goes to press may get their attention. Actually having an article is optional..
I know a couple of the Kiwi Rider people are here. An article about this in the major NZ bike mag should concern the Honda management as it is a bad look.
Bonus points if several different press organisations ring up adn make it seem like it is more than a brief flash in the pan.
Geoff

ams67
14th May 2005, 09:38
I think they don't care about the negative impact that single customer can generate to a huge company such as Honda. Furthermore they think I am just a clueless foreigner. Well they are wrong.
What they appear to misunderstand that this kind of attitude was quite true before the Internet. How many bikers have read this thread? More than I have expected, I have to say. That's great.

crazylittleshit
14th May 2005, 09:49
Thats bullshit They better give you a new bike

WINJA
14th May 2005, 10:25
I think they don't care about the negative impact that single customer can generate to a huge company such as Honda. Furthermore they think I am just a clueless foreigner. Well they are wrong.
What they appear to misunderstand that this kind of attitude was quite true before the Internet. How many bikers have read this thread? More than I have expected, I have to say. That's great.
SINGLE CUSTOMER MY ARSE IF YOU DONT GET A RESULT POST THE DEALERS NAME AND NUMBER HERE ALONG WITH THE NAMES OF THE PEOPLE YOU DEAL WITH AND I ALONG WITH OTHERS HERE ARE AT KB WOULD BE HAPPY TO CALL THE DEALER AND REGISTER OUR DISSATISFACTION WITH SITUATION , POWER OF THE PEOPLE MIGHT WORK , THINK OF 30 CALLS A DAY FROM PISSED OFF BIKERS

Blakamin
14th May 2005, 10:31
IF YOU DONT GET A RESULT POST THE DEALERS NAME AND NUMBER HERE ALONG WITH THE NAMES OF THE PEOPLE YOU DEAL WITH AND I ALONG WITH OTHERS HERE ARE AT KB WOULD BE HAPPY TO CALL THE DEALER AND REGISTER OUR DISSATISFACTION WITH SITUATION ,
I never thought I'd say this, but I AGREE TOTALLY!!!! and would be one of the callers!

SPORK
14th May 2005, 11:12
SINGLE CUSTOMER MY ARSE IF YOU DONT GET A RESULT POST THE DEALERS NAME AND NUMBER HERE ALONG WITH THE NAMES OF THE PEOPLE YOU DEAL WITH AND I ALONG WITH OTHERS HERE ARE AT KB WOULD BE HAPPY TO CALL THE DEALER AND REGISTER OUR DISSATISFACTION WITH SITUATION , POWER OF THE PEOPLE MIGHT WORK , THINK OF 30 CALLS A DAY FROM PISSED OFF BIKERS
Holy crap man, you're not meant to be making valuable comments! Good on ya! :niceone:

Waylander
14th May 2005, 11:49
Hell if this is something Blakamin and WINJA can agree on then I'm in aswell. Had to put up with shit of my own between a Yammy dealership awhile back luckily they came around so it didn't go to courts.

onearmedbandit
14th May 2005, 12:41
Re what WINJA said. I know of a story in America about a guy who took his relatively new 1000cc sportsbike into the franchise dealer to get his tyres changed. Came back to discover the head mechanic, with the dealership owner knowing, had performed a burnout on his old tyre. A lot of people on the forum said forget about it, no major damage done. But those who understood (and there are over 45,000 members at this site) bombarded the dealership with phone calls, e-mails and personal visits. Owners attitude quickly changed from 'fuck off' to 'how can I make this right?' Give it a try. But in this case, I believe anyone approaching this dealer needs to know the full story, otherwise it will do more damage than good to your chances of a happy result.

JMHO.

ams67
14th May 2005, 14:30
Ok, here is the story. I gave my CBR1000 to the HONDA DEALER the 18st of April 2005, because the Honda Distributor wants to inspect it. The Honda dealer told me that it will take a couple of days... Yeah, all right!...
The names have been changed for obvious reasons...

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING ARE ALL EMAILS SENT AND RECEIVED FROM/TO THE HONDA DISTRIBUTION MANAGER. PLEASE START FROM THE BOTTOM TO GET THE RIGHT SEQUENCE.
----------------------------------

HERE IS THE LETTER I RECEIVED FROM THE GENERAL MANAGER HONDA DISTRIBUTION. HERE IS WHERE HE TURNED ME INTO A LIAR AND 'CLUTCH ABUSER':

" Dear Mr Antonio,

I am aware of the correspondence between you and my National Technical Manager regarding your CBR1000R5 purchased from HONDA DEALER on 18 Nov 04. We regret any inconvenience you have experienced with your bike and we have conducted a full and thorough investigation of the faults you reported as quickly as possible.

We have identified a defect in the main wiring harness on the motorcycle and this harness will be replaced under warranty. This fault took much investigation due to the intermittent nature of the fault and it is likely to have caused the original illumination fault of the fuel injector warning light when you first purchased the bike, and some 7,000 km later, the RPM limitation fault experienced recently.

Regarding the engine noise, we have inspected, rebuilt, and road tested the engine. We also have identified a slight 'ticking' noise from the upper left hand side of the engine which is only evident at 100 deg C. We are of the opinion that this slight noise is a resident noise of no concern and is not considered unusual. As we have not been informed of any problems with this motor by Honda Japan, we will not be suggesting any further action be taken to attempt to eliminate this noise.

Regarding the clutch failure, we will be sending this clutch to Japan for technical investigation, but our observations are that the clutch outer plates are ‘oily’ as expected, and the burning and dryness of the inner plates was caused by incorrect operator usage, and not from any design defect - we are not aware of any related problems with CBR1000R clutches and we stand by the design. Accordingly, we have replaced the modified clutch hub with a standard item.

Regarding the reported side stand failure, we have inspected the side stand and we confirmed the stiff nut on the side stand pivot bolt, once loosened, could not be undone further by hand - this nut could not have become loose during use. Further, there was no evidence of any damage to the bolt or any fretting of the mating surfaces, which would be evident if the side stand were loose. It is our opinion that the side stand was and is in perfect working order and the bike collapsing off the side stand when parked on gravel is an operator, and not a design issue. We note CBR1000RR models are known to require careful use of the side stand due to their fairly delicate balance. We also note that we have replaced the damaged left hand fairing at our own cost as a goodwill gesture.
The wiring loom is expected to arrive in country 17 May 05, and our Technical Department will complete the work under warranty and advise HONDA DEALER when your motorcycle is ready for pick up.

Yours sincerely,

General Manager (honda distributor)

----
Sent: Tue 10-May-05 17:20
To: HONDA DISTRIBUTOR
Cc:
Subject: RE: Mr 's CBR1000RR

B,

Please find attached the pictures of my 'dried' clutch as requested.
I tried to contact Jason (the guy who helped me with the side stand). It appears he is back to England as his mother died. I do not know when/if will be back.

Regards
Antonio

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue 10-May-05 17:20
To: Antonio
Cc:

Antonio,

The GM is waiting for the results of the technical investigation before he considers the most appropriate resolution, but we have not yet fully resolved the problem. I can appreciate your need for an early resolution therefore this email has been passed to him for his consideration noting your timeframe for resolving this issue as detailed below.

Regards,

HONDA DISTRIBUTOR

Sent: Tuesday, 10 May 2005 4:21 p.m.
Cc: HONDA DEALER

B,
Thanks for the update on the bike.
I am disappointed that you are unable to provide an update on discussions with regard to overall remediation.

On Friday 6 May, I wrote the following:
“ You also explained that any remediation to address my concerns must be addressed by the General Manager of HONDA DISTRIBUTOR.

I believe I have reason to claim that this particular bike has not been put right within a reasonable time frame and I request that you consider a refund of my purchase price in full or at least a replacement bike. “

My concern is that this bike has not been put right in a reasonable time frame.

It has been close to 4 weeks that you have held this bike, and indicate that it will be next week at the earliest before repairs are complete. Based on the history to date, I am not convinced that this will be the end to the problems with this particular machine. There is no clear answer as to why the clutch failed after 3,500km, and there is a persistent noise which cannot be rectified.

For much of the period you have held my bike, I had an inferior, rusty Suzuki 250 as a loaner, and although I have the CBR600RR at the moment, HONDA DEALER are asking me to return it tomorrow. They are proposing a Honda Transalp next.

My greatest concern is to understand by the end of this week whether your General Manager has made a decision about a refund. I would still consider a replacement bike if we could reach agreement on this. I believe this is the most appropriate solution to my concerns. If we haven’t reached some form of agreement by the end of the week I will have to look at other options for resolution. The history of this bike leads me to believe that there should be redress under the Consumer Guarantees Act.

I look forward to your response.
Regards,
Antonio

_____

Sent: Tuesday, 10 May 2005 2:11 p.m.

Antonio,

Please find below a progress report on your CBR1000RR:

After some exhaustive testing we have reproduced what turned out to be an intermittent electrical fault. The problem appears to have been with the integrity of the earth wires in the main wiring harness. The fault has most likely been there since manufacture and we suspect may also have caused the bikes initial electrical problem you talked of shortly after purchase.

We have ordered a new harness in from Belgium at priority and anticipate parts will be here over the weekend (Australia have never held stock of this item and Japan have no stock).

I will advise early next week when your bike is ready and I hope HONDA DEALER's CBR600RR loan bike is going well.

Regards,
HONDA DISTRIBUTOR

Sent: 06 May 2005 13:35
To: 'Antonio '

Antonio,
Thank you Antonio.

We will know more later on this afternoon, but you are correct in that the fault appears to be linked to the side stand electrical circuit. You also indicated today that this new fault appears to be not be the same as the fuel injector problem experienced when you first brought the bike.

I will pass this e-mail to the GM.

Regards,

HONDA DISTRIBUTOR

ams67
14th May 2005, 14:36
Ok, here is the story. I gave my CBR1000 to the HONDA DEALER the 18st of April 2005, because the Honda Distributor wants to inspect it. The Honda dealer told me that it will take a couple of days... Yeah, all right!...
The names have been changed for obvious reasons...

PLEASE START FROM THE BOTTOM TO GET THE RIGHT SEQUENCE. [/B] [/U]
To be continued...
__
Sent: Thursday, 5 May 2005 2:45 p.m.

Thanks Antonio,

Point 1. Noted.
Point 3. Noted.
Point 4. The holes were a one-off field fix to assist getting your bike back on the road in a timely manner. At the time it was considered the best option to ensure adequate cooling lubrication was supplied to the clutch. This action has not been necessary on any other CBR1000RRs that I am aware of and is not required for your bike either.

Regards,

HONDA DISTRIBUTOR

Sent: Thursday, 5 May 2005 2:28 p.m.
To: Honda DISTRIBUTOR

B,

Thanks for clarifying your understanding about the conversation. I am happy with most of your points. Using your numbering I am listing points I wish to clarify:

1. I followed the manual and nowhere did it state any requirement other than 96 octane or above.

3. By the time you saw the clutch, Timaru Honda had replaced the clutch plates and facilitated the oil circulation, so I am not surprised that only normal wear was visible.

4. What would have been his reason for drilling additional oil circulation holes?

I look forward to meeting with you at 10 am tomorrow.
Regards
Antonio

[mailto:HONDA DISTRIBUTOR]
Sent: Thursday, 5 May 2005 12:48 p.m.
Cc: HONDA DEALER;

Antonio,
Thank you for your e-mail. Sorry for the delay in responding. I have a slightly different recollection of our discussion; but only in parts. My account of our discussion is as below:

1. I said the exhaust valves have been found to be have carbon build up and the compression ratios were measured to be evenly down as a result. I said this may be a result of the impurities in NZ's 96 octane fuel and that 98 octane fuel is a preferred octane. You said you try to get 98 octane when you can but that there are not many outlets in the South Island.

2. I said the BWH Race Team mechanic, after inspecting and rebuilding engine, has identified a slight 'ticking' noise from the upper left hand side, which is only evident at 100 deg C. He is of the opinion that this slight noise is of no consequence and is a resident noise and it is not considered unusual.

3. I said we had replaced the clutch centre. I did not say we "replaced the entire clutch". However, my discussions with the Race Mechanic has subsequently identified that he found no fault with the clutch plates (they had normal wear and were slightly oily as expected), and that he re-fitted the plates, but replaced the modified clutch centre with a standard one.

4. You stated the Honda Timaru mechanics found that a lack of oil circulating to the plates was the underlying cause and that was their reason for drilling the extra holes for oil circulation. I did say that it is not clear why there would have been a lack of oil to the clutch given that we are not aware of similar problems with the CBR1000RR clutch in NZ or Australia. I did say that at this stage I must also consider other possible causal factors such as defective clutch plates. I did say I would speak to the Timaru mechanic who worked on the failed clutch to assist my understanding and I have done this. He recalled there was glazing of the clutch pads, but no signs of overheating on the metal plates.

5. You did advise me of the cracked fairing due to a loose side stand.
6. We did discus other issues you had with the bike such as the need to replace the shim within the first week of purchase, the faulty brake light switch. Although I don't doubt this occurred, you did not mention an early report to Cycle Spot of the fuel injection light coming on.
7. I suggested that as we are confident in the motorcycle, that HONDA DISTRIBUTOR would provide an extended 12 month warranty on the bike. I do not recall you making any comment on the suitability or otherwise of this option.
8. At my request we agreed to meet to discuss your issues at 10:00am Friday 6 May 05 at our HONDA DISTRIBUTOR Head Office.

One thing we didn't discuss is that we will also be replacing the damaged LH fairing at our cost. Your bike will be ready for pick up by HONDA DEALER this afternoon.

I hope this clarifies our discussion and I look forward to our meeting.

Regards,

HONDA DISTRIBUTOR

Sent: Thursday, 5 May 2005 8:59 a.m.
Subject: FW: Mr 's CBR1000RR

B,

I thought it would be useful to confirm my understanding of our discussion yesterday.
1. The valves have been found to be 'carbonized'. You believe this to be the result of not using 98 octane fuel. I have always used a minimum of 96 octane fuel as specified in the user manual.
2. You have been able to identify the 'ticking' noise once the engine has warmed up as I had reported to you. You acknowledged that you do not understand the cause of this noise. You suggested that this is not a real issue.
3. You have recognized that there were problems with the clutch as you have replaced the complete clutch. You acknowledged that you do not understand the cause of the problem, but suggested that there may have been something like faulty clutch plates. I confirmed that the Honda Timaru mechanics found that a lack of oil circulating to the plates was the underlying cause. That was their reason for drilling the extra holes for oil circulation.
4. I reminded you of the cracked fairing due to loose the side stand which was witnessed by members of my motorcycle club.
5. We discussed the other issues I had with the bike such as the need to replace the shim within the first week of purchase, the faulty brake light switch, an early report to HONDA DEALER of the fuel injection light coming on.
6. You suggested that the warranty of the bike could be extended but I replied that there is limited value to me from this.
7. You agreed to set up a meeting to discuss my issues face to face.

If you feel I have misrepresented anything we discuss last night, please let me know.

Regards

Antonio

_____ From: Antonio
Sent: Thursday, 28 April 2005 3:32 p.m.
To: 'HONDA DISTRIBUTOR'

B,

Grant has forwarded your email to me and I have a couple of questions to ask you.

When you say that Dave is the best person to determine IF THERE ARE problems with my bike, do you mean that having the clutch fried due to a lack of oil in the inner clutch hub after just 3,500Km on the is not a problem?

Do you also mean that having the head opened inside a week of the purchase and having the shim replaced is not a problem?

The audible ticking sound heard by John at HONDA DEALER not a problem?

I would appreciate a better understanding of your definition of a problem.

Regards
Antonio

Sent: Thursday, 28 April 2005 2:47 p.m.

Sent: Thursday, 28 April 2005 1:50 p.m.
To: HONDA DEALER
Cc:
Subject: Mr 's CBR1000RR

Thanks G. for the CGA information.

We have contracted in our best CBR1000RR mechanic to this problem. Dave is Jared's CBR1000RR race team mechanic. Jared is one of BWH's sponsored riders. Dave is a busy man and his time is hard to get and he has started the work already and will be finished mid next week which is the earliest we can do.

We regret any inconvenience but Steve has told me he informed THE HONDA DEALER the bike should only be obtained from Mr at a convenient time so I assume this was the case.

We have confidence Dave is the best person to determine if there are any problems with Mr 's bike and we will keep you informed of progress. Feel free to pass this information to Mr Antonio.
Regards,
Honda Distributor
Sent: Thursday, 28 April 2005 1:20 p.m.
To: Honda Distributor
Cc:
Subject: FW: Faulty or defective vehicles

Sent: Thursday, 28 April 2005 12:01 p.m.
To: XXXXXXXX(Honda Dealer)
Subject: Faulty or defective vehicles

Hi G.
Here is the link as requested.
http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/motorvehicles/mv-problems/faultymv-post-15-Dec.html <http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/motorvehicles/mv-problems/faultymv-post-15-Dec.html>

One more thing. If Honda did not find anything wrong with my bike why do they need it for an other week?

I am really sick of the 'vacuum' cleaner with two wheels.

Cheers
Antonio
PS. Please keep me informed...

ams67
14th May 2005, 14:38
----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, 6 May 2005 12:33 p.m.
To:

B,

Sorry I could not get your postponement message in time, but I appreciated being able to meet with you anyway.
I would like to confirm my understanding of the cause of the issue I experienced when I went to take delivery of the bike yesterday.

When I was checking out the bike at HONDA DEALER yesterday, G. and I discovered, while the bike was still on the stand, that the injection system was cutting out the power at about 5k rpm.

This morning at HONDA DISTRIBUTOR the mechanic identified a possible cause as an electrical short somehow related to the side stand switch.

I am awaiting confirmation that this is the cause of the problem.

From my perspective this is just another of a continual series of serious faults I have experienced with this bike.

I had already lost confidence in the quality and reliability of this particular bike. This new issue has destroyed any last vestiges of confidence.

You have explained to me that you are happy to fix problems when they occur but I now anticipate that with this particular bike the problems will continue at an unacceptable rate. I am also concerned that the reliability/longevity of the engine may have been compromised by the problems already experienced.

You also explained that any remediation to address my concerns must be addressed by the General Manager of Honda Ditributor.

I believe I have reason to claim that this particular bike has not been put right within a reasonable time frame and I request that you consider a refund of my purchase price in full or at least a replacement bike.

Regards
Antonio

Ms Piggy
14th May 2005, 14:54
Welcome to our world ams67 - I hopem you get this all sorted. Good on ya for keeping a record of everything. I would definitely go to the Consumers Institute if I was you. All the best!

WINJA
14th May 2005, 15:50
I GOT REAL ANGRY READING THAT AND ITS NOT EVEN MY BIKE.
I JUST TOOK A K5 GSXR1000 FOR A SPIN , QUITE NICE, BUT EVEN A GSXR1000K4 IS BETTER THAN WHAT YOU HAVE AND AT 18K NEW A BARGAIN TRADE IT IN THEN TELL THE DEALER YOU TRADED IT TO THAT IT HAS WARRANTY ISSUES THAT HAVE TO BE DISCUSSED WITH HONDA.
SAY THE WORD AND I WILL START CALLING THE DEALER AND BEING A PRICK.
MY MATE OVERHEARD A DEALER SAY THAT WHEN HE SEES MY BIKE COMING DOWN THE STEET HE FEELS SICK AND IT WAS A HONDA DEALER TOO :mad:

TwoSeven
14th May 2005, 16:14
Huh? More bollocks again TwoSeven,

What I was saying, is that a non-factory supported bike shop fooks with a bike - no factory under the sun will touch it under warrantee. They only sort out machines that fail as a result of the manufacturing process - not fool mechanics that dont know what they are doing. I didnt say it applies in this case - because I dont know anything about the dealer.

Having just read thru the actual emails posts - apart from an aparent faulty wiring loom which does happen, I cant actually see what the problem is. Not sure what the argument is over the 96 vs 98 octane fuel is tho - I know the bikes prefer the latter but 2 octane shouldnt make that much of a difference. The so-called faulty clutch seems to have just had glazed plates which could be caused by all manner of things.

Personally, they are fixing everything under warrantee including the bust fairing - i'd keep quiet and let them get on with it.

StoneChucker
14th May 2005, 17:42
I hope you get this sorted, it must be SUCH a headache!

The ticking noise would piss me off. R1's sometimes devellop a ticking noise (some do, some don't - how can THAT be normal). So far, thank god, mine is fine. Yamaha say the ticking is "Normal" and nothing to be concerned about. Fuck that, I would be concerned about it, it's fucking annoying to say the least.

At least they're replacing the wiring harness, hopefully that sorts out the electrical problems.
The sidestand issue is VERY tricky. It's your word against theirs, while I may believe you, others may not and it's practically impossible to prove who is in the right or wrong, assuming the stand is assembled correctly.

The clutch. Hmm, another bastard to "prove". I think it would be very hard to destroy a clutch unless you obviously mistreated it, which I doubt you would do on a new bike.

I guess it all comes down to, if you're being honest. I like to think that you are, so as I said, I hope Honda/CycleSpot stop the BULLSHIT excuses and honour their warranty / consumers act. Keep us informed, I for one will be happy to send an e-mail stating my feelings. As you can see, lots of people are offering to phone, and we're thinking of sending Sensei509 round in person :msn-wink:

2_SL0
14th May 2005, 18:34
The time frame that it has taken is unfortunate, but other than that they have done everything they are supose to do. It would annoy me if it was mine but, Honda has done everything right. I would also suggest that fact that it appears to of had more than one problem really is the reason this has been stretched over a period of time. May I ask why you chose Cycle....? as the place to purchase this bike. There are more than one dealer around. I personally buy on service not price.

gav
14th May 2005, 18:59
Yeah, reading through the Blue Wing emails, it seems they are doing pretty much everything they can. They have also offered an extra 12 month warrnty on the bike. How did the fairing get damaged? Did the bike fall over after the sidestand broke or what? They are replacing the fairing at their cost. It only appears an issue regarding a slight ticking noise, shame they cant isolate that....otherwise not sure what else they can do, replacement of the bike certainly seems unlikely. Best thing to do, is trade it on something else, maybe a GSXR1000 or wait for the V5 sports tourer.

ams67
14th May 2005, 19:25
Well, for the side stand I have witnesses. It was loose. That was the cause.
Regardingr the clutch I have done a good 70% of the total usage by simply cruising (more than 4000Km done during my trip in South Island). Something was wrong with it. The clutch failed while I was cruising.
They change the shim ofter just few days of the purchase.
30% of the total time I had the bike has been spent to the Honda workshop trying to fix it.
Simply, I do not expect all these troubles and issues from a brand new bike.
As I said before, I am not pissed off because the bike as a 'lemon' can happen. I am pissed off because the way I was treated by Honda.

crazylittleshit
14th May 2005, 19:42
That sucks pretty bad. :mad:

Roadrash
14th May 2005, 19:46
Maybe we can help, there are i believe hundreds of bikers on the KB website
maybe put together something stating our numbers and that we are concerned with the way Honda have handled the situation. one biker they can fobb off but when you've got hundreds thats somthing they can't ignore they would want to be seen to be doing the right thing even if it is for the wrong reasons. just a thought

stevedee
14th May 2005, 20:09
Ain't buying a Honda ever till this is resolved, and I will send emails if you decide, bought my bike from a Honda \Kawasaki\Yamaha dealership in Welly, if they treated you like that I would go down there and ask some questions. I have a 24 month warranty and I sweated blood to buy the bike I have . I don't ever want to hear this hapenning to a "customer" who had fronted with a sizeable amount of money be it HP or Cash (cause they make more on the HP). It is not on man. How many customers will they loose just with this escapade? Of to Suzuki next are we?

thehollowmen
14th May 2005, 20:11
Sorry to hear about your bike, and I hope you can get it sorted.

I'd definitally be asking for a refund by now. Doesn't CGA give the consumer the right to chose between repair replacement or a refund? ( Here (http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp?docid=918&category=Legal%20Rights&subcategory=&topic=Consumer%20Guarantees%20Act&title=Putting%20it%20right&contenttype=general) )

Apparently new Harley Davidsons now have great service... A friend has purchased one, and was given a card to call if it broke down in the next 3 (or was it 5) years and they'd come out to him with a replacement to swap until his was fixed.

Yeah, I wish it was all as good for new bikes but... *Shrugs* go give them hell.

I was considering buying a honda but if they don't sort this out for you, I'm going to another brand.

Brian d marge
14th May 2005, 22:57
If the bike hadnt been filled with oil from the pdi then the chances of the oil reaching the middle plates are reduced. other than that the cluch used in a normal fashion , actually doesnt need oil ..its just there to remove heat from repeated/ long engagements such as a learner easing the clutch nervously...or sitting in traffic or lofting the front past a police station :devil2:
but that then will blue the plain plates.

Synthetic oil, if it aint for bikes ie cheap stuff ,it may have friction modifyers in it and allow the clutch to slip ....that will show up in an oil analysis

The ticking noise has got me .....at 100 deg c ie operating temp ....a bucket sticking slightly when warm ...??

Oh well just a few thoughts
Stephen

Brett
14th May 2005, 22:59
Man, I was hoping to get a cbr600rr as my next bike...wont be touching one anymore. I will also not be dealing with cyclespot ever. I will also be telling ALL of my mates about this and about this stupid Honda.
I was very very ken on them before, and now I am not so sure....shows what bad publicity can do...
I too will be nmore than happy to ring Cyclespot and winge like a little biarch. just say the word.

anmolt
15th May 2005, 01:55
i must have missed the name in all those pages but whose the dealer newas........i am so glad i didnt go ahead and buy the honda.........i really didnt like the overpriced honda newas and the dealer who was acting all smart and hoping hed get a better price than i was offering him......i think hes had it for a while and im not sure hes gonna get rid of it.....hows the issue turning out or do we wait till 17th may??????????
Consider this very very carefully..........New Zealand is a smallish market for bikes.......i think a lot of people will agree.........selling bikes isnt a piece of cake as people arent dumb here........and so i say that a single customer can cause big trouble for an established company if he/she is in the right....so if they continue hassling yoou i suggest you make it public and see what happens....hondas are the best selling bikes in the world but their competitors are close on their heels and i dont think they want the others to catch up........wot say?????????

Zapf
15th May 2005, 01:57
Maybe we can help, there are i believe hundreds of bikers on the KB website
maybe put together something stating our numbers and that we are concerned with the way Honda have handled the situation. one biker they can fobb off but when you've got hundreds thats somthing they can't ignore they would want to be seen to be doing the right thing even if it is for the wrong reasons. just a thought

ams67,
Here is an idea... how about you arrange a Sat and time and then a bunch of us KB guys in Auckland will turn up at Cyclespot with you to listen to your rant to them in person... and see what they say then :msn-wink:

StoneChucker
15th May 2005, 08:09
ams67,
Here is an idea... how about you arrange a Sat and time and then a bunch of us KB guys in Auckland will turn up at Cyclespot with you to listen to your rant to them in person... and see what they say then :msn-wink:
Confronting them in that way will only get their backs up, and less likely to go the extra bit to help the guy out. Wait until all avenues have been exhausted and THEN go legal or public. Public is the cheaper option, with just about as much probability of a good outcome.

There are ALOT of us here, and we know alot of people not on here who ride bikes. If the shop is in the wrong, they are playing a very dangerous game... Bikeshop business is cut throat, they probably can't afford the very bad reputation.

ams67
15th May 2005, 08:44
I gave them (formally) 5 working days to put the bike right. (from sollicitor advice).
I am sure that they will 'fix' it in time (6 weeks later). Also I am also sure the bike will fail again. I do not know if I have to wait until the inevitable next bike failure and request legally a replacement (now a sollicitor is involved) or just trade the Honda in straight away and get something more reliable.
I just want this 'sad' story to end ASAP so I can continue to enjoy my ridings.
The main reason I wanted to share my story with you is that I might avoid to someone to go through my same shit as both dealer and distributor are really crap...

mikey
15th May 2005, 09:40
you can take my mum in with you, she'll get you a new bike in less than half an hour.

ams67
15th May 2005, 10:07
ROTFL!!! I will seriously consider it...

inlinefour
15th May 2005, 10:50
and put it back on the Honda dealer. Must say its enough to put me off getting a 2005 CBR600RR, which up until now was the far preferred bike to purchase. I think we need to get the Honda dealer involved aware of this thread so they can explain why this occured. Not the sort of thing I would expect from a new vehicle at all and if this is what we can expect from Honda in NZ, then perhaps they have no place selling here. Hmmm, kind of makes me think about test piloting the Kawasaki 636... :nono:

WINJA
15th May 2005, 10:57
I gave them (formally) 5 working days to put the bike right. (from sollicitor advice).
I am sure that they will 'fix' it in time (6 weeks later). Also I am also sure the bike will fail again. I do not know if I have to wait until the inevitable next bike failure and request legally a replacement (now a sollicitor is involved) or just trade the Honda in straight away and get something more reliable.
I just want this 'sad' story to end ASAP so I can continue to enjoy my ridings.
The main reason I wanted to share my story with you is that I might avoid to someone to go through my same shit as both dealer and distributor are really crap...
YOU SHOULD HAVE CONFIDENCE IN A NEW BIKE AND NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO TO YOUR BIKE NOW YOULL PROBABLY ALWAYS WORRY ABOUT A BREAKDOWN ON LONG TRIPS IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE , THATS ONE THING THAT PISSED ME OFF ABOUT MY NEW BLADE THAT KEPT BREAKING DOWN , I COULDNT CONCENTRATE ON RIDING I WAS ALWAYS WORRYING ABOUT THE BIKE WHICH IS A DANGEROUS SITUATION .

WINJA
15th May 2005, 11:06
and put it back on the Honda dealer. Must say its enough to put me off getting a 2005 CBR600RR, which up until now was the far preferred bike to purchase. I think we need to get the Honda dealer involved aware of this thread so they can explain why this occured. Not the sort of thing I would expect from a new vehicle at all and if this is what we can expect from Honda in NZ, then perhaps they have no place selling here. Hmmm, kind of makes me think about test piloting the Kawasaki 636... :nono:
KAWASAKI HAVE BEEN GOOD TO ME RE WARANTY , THEY REPLACED MY FRONT GUARD ON MY ZX9 C1 UNDER RECALL EVEN THOUGH I SCRATCHED IT, THEN MY BIKE GOT WRITTEN OFF IN AN ACCIDENT I BOUGHT IT BACK AS A WRECK AND THEY STILL HONOURED MY WARRANTY.
AND SUZUKI WERE REAL GOOD , A DEALER LOST ALL THE OIL OUT OF MY ONE WEEK OLD GSXR1000 K3 AND SUZUKI GAVE ME A NEW BIKE WITHIN ONE WEEK .
ONLY HONDA HAVE GIVEN ME TROUBLE AND I WAS BEING A REAL GENTLEMAN FOR THE FIRST 3 WEEKS I HAD TO BE A REAL CUNT TO GET ANYWHERE.
A DEALER AND SUPPLIER CAN ONLY BE JUDGED PROPERLY WHEN THINGS GO WRONG AND HONDA FAILED.
I DONT KNOW WHAT YAMAHA IS LIKE

ams67
15th May 2005, 11:18
From my perspective and based on their replies, it is clear that:
If they can fix the issue, the issue is not an issue anymore (the ticking noise)
If they can't explain why something could happen (the failing of the clutch and the side stand) then it must be the owner fault.
They don't take any responsability.
However I will not allow any bloody Honda dealer or distributor telling me that I am a liar (see the Honda general Manager letter).
Perhaps they thought it was not enough selling me a lemon. They want also humiliate me. This is REALLY pissing me off!!!

That bike is a lemon. Full stop. They know that as well.

WINJA
15th May 2005, 11:43
From my perspective and based on their replies, it is clear that:
If they can fix the issue, the issue is not an issue anymore (the ticking noise)
If they can't explain why something could happen (the failing of the clutch and the side stand) then it must be the owner fault.
They don't take any responsability.
However I will not allow any bloody Honda dealer or distributor telling me that I am a liar (see the Honda general Manager letter).
Perhaps they thought it was not enough selling me a lemon. They want also humiliate me. This is REALLY pissing me off!!!

That bike is a lemon. Full stop. They know that as well.
FUCK HONDA GO SOMEWHERE THET APRECIATE YOUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS.BIKES ARE MEANT TO BE FUN NOT A HASSLE.
AND WHEN I LOOKED INTO IT WITH MY HONDA HASSLES I WAS TOLD IT WAS THE DEALERS RESPONSIBILTY TO RECTIFY THEY ARE BOUND BY THE CONSUMER GUARANTEES ACT NOT THE WHOLSALER SO THE RETAILER MAY HAVE TO RECTIFY AT A LOSS TO THEM

inlinefour
15th May 2005, 11:45
I don't think that I'd get too hung up on a ticking noise, some bikes just have their own "normal" noises and if it does not affect the preformance then how can it be an issue? However I find it rather pecular what is happening. Would have thought that this particular "lemon" would be an excellent bike to disect as to avoid furthur issues for this model. I would like to hear the other side of the story as so far the bike has been rebuilt? and other investigations also. Not as they have done nothing and just said its your problem ahe? However as I am not aware of what truely happened, I cannot really say much and nor can most others here, that are in the same situation like me. No point bagging Honda just yet, but I am really interested to see what happens...

ams67
15th May 2005, 12:55
In any dispute you will have always have two o more sides of the story. That's why I published their responses as well. This is not the point.
They kept my brand new bike (now 6 months old) for about 2 months in their workshops trying to fix major and minors issues. The ticking noise is very annoying. I would like to understand why the same CBR of my mate does not make any ticking noise.
Of couse they have to try to fix my issues. It is their duty as the bike is under warranty. But if you have a series of issues one after the other and they blame you as the cause of those issues, then you get pissed off. I am sure you would not like to be defined as a liar, by your Honda DEALRER AND DISTRIBUTOR, would you.
I remind you that my bike is still in their workshop after about 5 weeks and they gave me a rusty Suzuky Volty for 3 weeks as 'courtesy bike'...

Perhaps it is just me, perhaps this is the way the Dealers treat the NZ consumers. That's why I am asking your advice. In Europe things are different. That bike would had been replaced long time ago.
I have three HONDA. I've always thought that they are a good company that make good bikes. I still think thay do good bikes. I am not sure about the latest CBR. What I am sure that the Honda here in Auckland sucks.

inlinefour
15th May 2005, 13:41
Honda here in New Plymouth are almost bending over backwards for their customers. Must be an AKL thing? (PT) :msn-wink:

StoneChucker
15th May 2005, 13:51
you can take my mum in with you, she'll get you a new bike in less than half an hour.
Funnily enough, you're not far wrong there. Parents have a wonderful way of getting the point across, when "us" young'uns don't have the experience to do so.

sAsLEX
15th May 2005, 13:54
Honda here in New Plymouth are almost bending over backwards for their customers. Must be an AKL thing? (PT) :msn-wink:

cept for them not knowing what a nc30 is!!!!

inlinefour
15th May 2005, 14:34
cept for them not knowing what a nc30 is!!!!

They had a 2nd hand one for sale a while ago in the show room...

Zapf
15th May 2005, 15:56
AMS, ring up HRC (honda riders club) and talk to Robyn. She might be able to help pass on the discontent to somewhere higher up at Bluewing Honda.

Please be nice to her thou, she is a very nice lady.

ams67
15th May 2005, 16:21
Thanks Zapf. But I am afraid the negative letter I have received comes from the General Manager of BWH. Is there any higher position?
Cheers
A.
PS. Don't worry, I tend to be nice with ladies, especially with the nice ones. ;-)

Zapf
15th May 2005, 16:33
Thanks Zapf. But I am afraid the negative letter I have received comes from the General Manager of BWH. Is there any higher position?
Cheers
A.
PS. Don't worry, I tend to be nice with ladies, especially with the nice ones. ;-)

care to scan and post the letter on KB?

ams67
15th May 2005, 18:18
care to scan and post the letter on KB?
I have already posted the letter from the GM by email in this threat. Yesteday I have receives also the copy on paper.
This is their version of the story.

Here it is:
Dear Mr Antonio,

I am aware of the correspondence between you and my National Technical Manager regarding your CBR1000R5 purchased from Cycle Spot Honda on 18 Nov 04. We regret any inconvenience you have experienced with your bike and we have conducted a full and thorough investigation of the faults you reported as quickly as possible.

We have identified a defect in the main wiring harness on the motorcycle and this harness will be replaced under warranty. This fault took much investigation due to the intermittent nature of the fault and it is likely to have caused the original illumination fault of the fuel injector warning light when you first purchased the bike, and some 7,000 km later, the RPM limitation fault experienced recently.

Regarding the engine noise, we have inspected, rebuilt, and road tested the engine. We also have identified a slight 'ticking' noise from the upper left hand side of the engine which is only evident at 100 deg C. We are of the opinion that this slight noise is a resident noise of no concern and is not considered unusual. As we have not been informed of any problems with this motor by Honda Japan, we will not be suggesting any further action be taken to attempt to eliminate this noise.

Regarding the clutch failure, we will be sending this clutch to Japan for technical investigation, but our observations are that the clutch outer plates are ‘oily’ as expected, and the burning and dryness of the inner plates was caused by incorrect operator usage, and not from any design defect - we are not aware of any related problems with CBR1000R clutches and we stand by the design. Accordingly, we have replaced the modified clutch hub with a standard item.

Regarding the reported side stand failure, we have inspected the side stand and we confirmed the stiff nut on the side stand pivot bolt, once loosened, could not be undone further by hand - this nut could not have become loose during use. Further, there was no evidence of any damage to the bolt or any fretting of the mating surfaces, which would be evident if the side stand were loose. It is our opinion that the side stand was and is in perfect working order and the bike collapsing off the side stand when parked on gravel is an operator, and not a design issue. We note CBR1000RR models are known to require careful use of the side stand due to their fairly delicate balance. We also note that we have replaced the damaged left hand fairing at our own cost as a goodwill gesture.
The wiring loom is expected to arrive in country 17 May 05, and our Technical Department will complete the work under warranty and advise Cycle Spot Honda when your motorcycle is ready for pick up.

Yours sincerely,

General Manager

Sensei
15th May 2005, 18:44
I have had my GSXR in the shop getting a cam chain rattle sorted , its taken 2 visits to get it fixed . I had to PH Brain Bernard myself & ask him what he thought was making the noise as the shop said , you guested it they cann't hear anything wrong with it , Cam chain got manualy adjusted done now the fucks have sent me 2 bills for working on the bike even tho it was taken in to be fixed under Warranty haven't heard back about this yet .

Zapf
15th May 2005, 18:53
ermm a very professional letter.

well now that they have lend you a 600RR. why don't you write back that you are at the end of your wits and if what they proposed here doesn't fix all the problems once and for all you should recieve a new CBR1000 as you have lost all confidence in their ability to repair the bike in question to an acceptable standard.

and then let the cards play themselves out? If it is a lemon.... I think there are more juice to be squesed.

wonder what other KB'ers have to say...

My experience:

I for one had a bad incident with Cyclespot, they were selling a bike on behalf. And the owner had also listed on trademe, although I had bought it on trademe, the dealer (cyclespot) heard that the owner was going to take it back lowered the price on the VTR250 right away and it sold on the same day. So I was very upset that my 1st bike got sold from under me, and I had to find that out from running into the guy who bought my bike at AMPS.... Lou would recall this...

So anyway I went to Cyclespot to RANT to them as well, and so Grant offered to sell me a new VTR250 at a heafty discount.

So that is where I am at with them. They are on friendly terms towards me, mostly they see the $$$ when i walk into the shop.... E.g they offered me to take the new 05 CB900 Hornet for a ride

WINJA
15th May 2005, 19:07
ermm a very professional letter.

well now that they have lend you a 600RR. why don't you write back that you are at the end of your wits and if what they proposed here doesn't fix all the problems once and for all you should recieve a new CBR1000 as you have lost all confidence in their ability to repair the bike in question to an acceptable standard.

and then let the cards play themselves out? If it is a lemon.... I think there are more juice to be squesed.

wonder what other KB'ers have to say...

My experience:

I for one had a bad incident with Cyclespot, they were selling a bike on behalf. And the owner had also listed on trademe, although I had bought it on trademe, the dealer (cyclespot) heard that the owner was going to take it back lowered the price on the VTR250 right away and it sold on the same day. So I was very upset that my 1st bike got sold from under me, and I had to find that out from running into the guy who bought my bike at AMPS.... Lou would recall this...

So anyway I went to Cyclespot to RANT to them as well, and so Grant offered to sell me a new VTR250 at a heafty discount.

So that is where I am at with them. They are on friendly terms towards me, mostly they see the $$$ when i walk into the shop.... E.g they offered me to take the new 05 CB900 Hornet for a ride
IAN AND GRANT ARE LIKE A SNAKE AND A SHARK WHEN YOU WALK INTO THEIR STORE

MD
15th May 2005, 19:45
ams67 after reading that latest letter from BWH it sounds like they are trying to put it right and have come to the party on picking up costs such as the fairing and replacing the wiring loom and clutch all under warranty. It's a Bugger it has taken so long but I think it's time to back off the Fair Go threats and aggro approach. All that's likely to do is back fire in your face. Try the nice guy approach, get the bike back on the road where you can decide long term if you keep it or not. Must be other Honda dealers in Auckland if you don't trust Cyclespot? Having the wiring loom replaced may be the 'lemon' problem solved once and for all.

ams67
15th May 2005, 20:38
I really hope you are right.

inlinefour
15th May 2005, 20:44
I think they have done plenty and yes it was most unfortunate that it had to be your bike, but I'm sure all the branded sports bike production lines every so often produce the dreaded lemon. As for the dealer that sold you the bike. I would simply have refused to return the 600cc bike when they asked for it if there was still issues with your bike and it was away getting repaired. Personally I reckon that Honda could give a tad good will and maybe buy you some new racing leathers...

ManDownUnder
16th May 2005, 09:27
I think they have done plenty and yes it was most unfortunate that it had to be your bike, but I'm sure all the branded sports bike production lines every so often produce the dreaded lemon. As for the dealer that sold you the bike. I would simply have refused to return the 600cc bike when they asked for it if there was still issues with your bike and it was away getting repaired. Personally I reckon that Honda could give a tad good will and maybe buy you some new racing leathers...

Good idea - either that or at least put threm on some sort of notice - once they've done the work... have them agree that if anything else goes wrong you'd really like to swap the bike out for a new one that works.

Cut them some slack - but only so much...
MDU

Lou Girardin
16th May 2005, 10:26
The letter does sound reasonable to me. You have all the issues covered in case the 'minor' problems turn into major ones once out of warranty. Don't ignore the fact that they have done more than required to help you. I'm sure Ducati never covered all the bikes that fell off their (notorious) stands. Give the bike a fair trial and see what happens.

ams67
16th May 2005, 10:54
This is my response to the Honda GM letter. I am still awaiting for a response:

Dear Sirs
As you are both aware, I purchased a Honda CBR 1000RR ("CBR") on 18 November 2004 from XXXXXX Honda. Without labouring the point, since that time the CBR has been subject to numerous ongoing latent problems, both of a minor and significant nature. These have included, without limitation, the RPM limitation fault, the failure in the clutch, the failure of the side stand and the development of the ongoing ticking noise in the engine, which was not apparent or evident at the time of purchase. Several additional minor electrical failures have also occurred which may or may not be attributable to faults in the CBR's wiring loom. Overall the number and nature of the ongoing latent faults in the CBR calls into question whether this CBR was of acceptable quality at the time it was sold to me and whether there has been a failure of substantial character of the CBR.

Since returning the CBR to you for repair, I have been without the CBR for a total now of five weeks. Mr Honda GM letter further indicates that the CBR will now not be available until sometime after 17 May 2005, adding at least one further week that the CBR will be unavailable. Mr Honda GM letter further does not provide a guaranteed date on which the CBR will be available for pick up and I suspect that there will be inevitable further delays as additional faults are discovered.

Pursuant to the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 ("Act") you are required to remedy the failure as to the quality of the CBR by either fixing the CBR, by replacing the CBR with another or identical type, or by providing a cash refund within a reasonable period. Given the fact that the CBR was brand new at the time of purchase, and although I appreciate your efforts to date in trying to correct the faults in the CBR, the ongoing and continuing delay in repairing the CBD has now reached a point where it is unacceptable and clearly unreasonable.

Unless this issue is resolved in a manner to my satisfaction within five working days of the date of this letter, time being of the essence, by either having fixed the CBR of all defects, replacing the CBR or otherwise providing a cash refund, I will have no other option but to reject the CBR in accordance with the Act and to look to my remedies under that Act.

I await your response as soon as possible.

Regards
Antonio

ams67
16th May 2005, 14:32
I would like to clarify that the letter come from the General Manager of the Honda Distributor for New Zealand and not from CycleSpot.
It appears that Cyclespot is fighting to get me a replacement. Well, I will keep you updated.

inlinefour
16th May 2005, 16:16
I would like to clarify that the letter come from the General Manager of the Honda Distributor for New Zealand and not from CycleSpot.
It appears that Cyclespot is fighting to get me a replacement. Well, I will keep you updated.

I got the impression they was turning a blind eye. Personally I think that as Cyclespot sold you the Lemon and acknowledge it, then they should replace it with a non-lemon so that you may find out how great Honda motorcycles can be :niceone:

ams67
16th May 2005, 17:24
Well, as i wrote, IT APPEARS that they are doing their best. I really hope I will be able to confirm it.
I am more curious to see the reply from the Honda Distributor NZ. They are the 'dark side' of Honda.
I wonder if I can complain about the poor customer service of Honda Distibutor NZ to someone 'higher' than their General Manager. Something like the GM of Honda Japan (??)

inlinefour
16th May 2005, 17:27
Well, as i wrote, IT APPEARS that they are doing their best. I really hope I will be able to confirm it.
I am more curious to see the reply from the Honda Distributor NZ. They are the 'dark side' of Honda.
I wonder if I can complain about the poor customer service of Honda Distibutor NZ to someone 'higher' than their General Manager. Something like the GM of Honda Japan (??)

Go straight to Japan. I heard that a local Honda dealer had his dealership suspended due to Japan finding out how poor his customer service was and how he was running the dealership. You never know, they might actually ask if they can have your bike for extensive testing and give you another. It makes good business sense to me...

ams67
16th May 2005, 17:29
It sounds very unreasonable to me. I do not really like to be described as a LIAR.
Instead of say: sorry customer about the 'lemon', here is a new bike and a brand new ARAI helmet for your troubles, they say: get stuffed you little liar, because I am in good mood I am going to replace your broken fairing... ;-)

inlinefour
16th May 2005, 17:36
It sounds very unreasonable to me. I do not really like to be described as a LIAR.
Instead of say: sorry customer about the 'lemon', here is a new bike and a brand new ARAI helmet for your troubles, they say: get stuffed you little liar, because I am in good mood I am going to replace your broken fairing... ;-)

I have read the whole thread through a couple of times and no where has it been stated that your a liar, at all. No where does it say "get stuffed", at all. Nor does it say "because I am in good mood I am going to replace your broken fairing". However, IF you demonstrate the same sort of attitude to the people that your dealing with, as you display with this message, then its no real wonder your not getting anywhere :nono:
Generally speaking I find I get much further with people if I treat them the way that I would like to be treated myself :yes: and in my place of work, that is generally a daily occurrance :D

ams67
16th May 2005, 17:53
OK, let me clarify a couple of points. I have been a very reasonable person for about 6 months. I was happy to have them trying to fix the bike issues. I could also understand their position.
But there is a way to say in Italy that can be roughly translated in English as: enough is enough!

I know (and also some witnesses) that the side stand of the bike was loose and therefore failed.
Here is the HONDA DISTRIBUTOR NZ response:
"Regarding the reported side stand failure, we have inspected the side stand and we confirmed the stiff nut on the side stand pivot bolt, once loosened, could not be undone further by hand - this nut could not have become loose during use..."

Now, I have never said someone has undone it by hand.
Do you see the term 'LIAR' hidden in that sentence?

Furthermore, regarding the fried clutch how can someone have the corage to write such as ballshit. I remind you that we are talking about of a PERFORMANCE BIKE:

"Regarding the clutch failure, we will be sending this clutch to Japan for technical investigation, but our observations are that the clutch outer plates are ‘oily’ as expected, and the burning and dryness of the inner plates was caused by incorrect operator usage, and not from any design defect"

Now as far as I am concerned they can state also that pig can fly. But in this case their are saying that I am a LIAR (because I have stated that I have been using the bike mostly cruising) and I am also a such a bad rider that I have managed to fried a performace clutch after just 3,500Km on the clock.

I have also learnt a new lesson: If you think you are right and with the 'good manners' you get nowhere, then be more 'proactive' and start to play 'chess'.

Now I have also a question to you if I may:
Are you a Honda dealer?

inlinefour
16th May 2005, 17:59
But your attitude is noted and reinforces my previous post. You are welcome to read into whatever/whoever said what, but you'll probably get it wrong and have ended up winding yourself up. The side stand was loose you say, why on earth did you not get it fixed? After all thats your responsibility, is it not. Kind of like not lubing cables and then complaining when one snaps? :killingme You did say that even others noted that the side stand was loose, why oh why did you not sort it out, before it took the inevidible fall? :whistle:

Lou Girardin
17th May 2005, 08:32
OK, let me clarify a couple of points. I have been a very reasonable person for about 6 months. I was happy to have them trying to fix the bike issues. I could also understand their position.
But there is a way to say in Italy that can be roughly translated in English as: enough is enough!

I know (and also some witnesses) that the side stand of the bike was loose and therefore failed.
Here is the HONDA DISTRIBUTOR NZ response:
"Regarding the reported side stand failure, we have inspected the side stand and we confirmed the stiff nut on the side stand pivot bolt, once loosened, could not be undone further by hand - this nut could not have become loose during use..."

Now, I have never said someone has undone it by hand.
Do you see the term 'LIAR' hidden in that sentence?

Furthermore, regarding the fried clutch how can someone have the corage to write such as ballshit. I remind you that we are talking about of a PERFORMANCE BIKE:

"Regarding the clutch failure, we will be sending this clutch to Japan for technical investigation, but our observations are that the clutch outer plates are ‘oily’ as expected, and the burning and dryness of the inner plates was caused by incorrect operator usage, and not from any design defect"

Now as far as I am concerned they can state also that pig can fly. But in this case their are saying that I am a LIAR (because I have stated that I have been using the bike mostly cruising) and I am also a such a bad rider that I have managed to fried a performace clutch after just 3,500Km on the clock.

I have also learnt a new lesson: If you think you are right and with the 'good manners' you get nowhere, then be more 'proactive' and start to play 'chess'.

Now I have also a question to you if I may:
Are you a Honda dealer?

From the Hondas point of view, they don't know you, don't know how you ride. But they do know from experience that some people abuse their bikes and/or don't do simple maintenance. The replacement bike thing is a debatable issue, but if dealers replaced every bike when asked to, how many do you think would still be in business?
You do have some valid points, but as for the attitude - basta!

ams67
17th May 2005, 08:56
If I knew that the sidestand was loose I would fix it for sure. The fault occured after I have done about 2000Km in 4 days while cruising in South Island.
Do you check all nuts and bolts of your bike everytime you go for a ride?
I do that with my KTM. But as you cans see a KTM has different requirements than a CBR. Furthermore tha bike had been serviced just a month before the failure (I assume that the sidestand had been checked during the service).
I said that the other noted that the sidestand was loose AFTER the failure.

I can undestand your love for Honda but I have the impression that you are trying to winding me up.

ams67
17th May 2005, 09:06
It appears that you are missing a lots of points. They are not minor issues but major ones. I advise you to read the Consumer Act in regard of faulty vehicle (Serious fault pargraph).

Regarding my attitude I think it 's up to me to say 'basta!'...

inlinefour
17th May 2005, 09:35
As far as the Act you talk of, what is a reasonable time frame and who decides it? Its got nothing to do with my like of Honda, so far this thread has done a good job of putting me off the new blade...
I think you have missed the point that I'm trying to make. They are trying to fix it, are they not? I think the real issue is more the time frame in which its taking?
Yes, you make an excellent point regarding the ability to check all nuts and bolts under the fairings. Its something that I'll have to learn, I.E. taking the fairing off when doing maintiance checks. As I have stated previously, I understand your frustration, I'd also be just as peeved as yourself. I sympathise with your plight and are probably the most interested individual here to learn of the outcome, as I want a new Fireblade myself (although the 600cc model), but want to know that customer service is not going to be an issue. If it is, I'd probably purchase from another manufacturer that offers a better service to its customer...

ams67
17th May 2005, 10:05
As far as the Act you talk of, what is a reasonable time frame and who decides it? Its got nothing to do with my like of Honda, so far this thread has done a good job of putting me off the new blade...
I think you have missed the point that I'm trying to make. They are trying to fix it, are they not? I think the real issue is more the time frame in which its taking?
Yes, you make an excellent point regarding the ability to check all nuts and bolts under the fairings. Its something that I'll have to learn, I.E. taking the fairing off when doing maintiance checks. As I have stated previously, I understand your frustration, I'd also be just as peeved as yourself. I sympathise with your plight and are probably the most interested individual here to learn of the outcome, as I want a new Fireblade myself (although the 600cc model), but want to know that customer service is not going to be an issue. If it is, I'd probably purchase from another manufacturer that offers a better service to its customer...
Well, I am happy that you are not trying to wind me up.
Yes, you have a good point. What is the reasonable time? At the moment my bike has spent 30% of its entire time in the Honda workshop.
Yes, they are trying to fix it, as they did in the past.
My question and the consumer Act question is: How many time an expensive brand new vehicle has to be fixed before we consider it as an 'acceptable quality'?

You see, I am not complaining because of a single issues. It is a relatively long list of issues. They still have my bike in their workshop (this is the 6th week).

If I sell you a computer (High spec PC with a top graphic card) that you use for your work and this PC develops the same ratio of faults as my bike (I keep it for 6 weeks in my workshop and I give you a P75 as a loner), How would you react? If someone would tell you that you attitude is bad because you say that you need a working computer ASAP and you think (after several attemps to fix it and hend for 2 months in the workshop) that the best solution is a new computer, would you still asking the question: They are trying to fix it, are they not?

vifferman
17th May 2005, 10:26
Furthermore, I think their attitude to Antonio is not the best; they've implied he's a liar, and that some of the faults are due to his negligence or abuse. Yes, it was good that they replaced the fairing panel when they didn't legally have to, but it would've been better for customer service if they hadn't made a big song and dance over it while saying it was his fault (unproven). The clutch fault was unproven to be due to abuse, but they chose that explanation rather than that it was a fault as it left them an 'out'.

As for the ticking noise - yes, it's just a noise at this stage, but given the other problems, I too would be worried about it if it was my bike, especially since they haven't proven what it is caused by and that it is harmless.

All of Antonio's complaints relate to customer service and the underlying attitude. With each of them, they had a choice that would've cost them relatively little (especially given Antonio's financial outlay for the CBR), but which would have been good PR, and they instead acted like Antonio was lying, maltreated his new bike, and was just a nuisance. In fact, he'd bought a new bike, he expected it to be very good, and when there were failures, he expected them to stand behind their product and treat him with courtesy, respect and good will.

inlinefour
17th May 2005, 14:05
Gotta agree there with both you and ams67. You both make good points and I do hope that this resolves to an acceptable standard very soon.
I built a high spec generic computer last year and the first video card had a fan in it that was making a horrific grinding and whining noise. I returned back to the shop of purchase and demonstraned the noise. They very quickly and efficiently removed the video card and replaced it with a new one. I had only used it for two days at that stage and rung them up immediately once finding the problem on the first day. Yea I think the mob at Honda should have handled the whole situation much better. I bet they'll change their tune some what if you get Fair Go involved. This is what I'd do if it was my problem bike :msn-wink:

ams67
17th May 2005, 14:38
Fair go and a letter of complain to Honda Japan will be my next moves if the situation will not be solved in a reasonble manner. I am still waiting for the response from HONDA DISTRIBUTOR NZ. Something is telling me that they are going to threat me.

inlinefour
17th May 2005, 16:33
Fair go and a letter of complain to Honda Japan will be my next moves if the situation will not be solved in a reasonble manner. I am still waiting for the response from HONDA DISTRIBUTOR NZ. Something is telling me that they are going to threat me.

I really think that if they are stupid enough to make threats that it will just help you with your cause and definitely help Fair Go get onto their cause. I really think that it would be a stupid thing to do and really hope that they are not that dumb. I'm sure that the powers that be in Japan would be less than amused either, if they stooped that low...

ManDownUnder
17th May 2005, 17:12

Something from the Min of Consumer Affair's website...
http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/cga/faultygoods.html

What caught my eye is the line saying "The Act requires the retailer who supplied the goods to sort out any problems. This means a retailer can not tell you to take the problem to the manufacturer."

Not sure with how this sits (having read not all of the stuff in this thread)... but you need to stay on the case of the guy(s) that sold it to you, not Honda NZ

Rights and remedies

Rights if goods are faulty

The Act requires the retailer who supplied the goods to sort out any problems. This means a retailer can not tell you to take the problem to the manufacturer.

You can choose whether to seek a remedy for the problem from the trader or the manufacturer.

When you have bought something that doesn’t meet one of the guarantees you have the following rights:

Minor problems

You can ask the trader to fix the goods. The trader must choose between repairing the goods, replacing the goods or giving you a refund.

If the trader refuses to fix the problem or takes more than a reasonable time to do so, you can return the goods and ask for your money back. Or, you can ask for replacement goods, if the same type of goods are reasonably available to the trader. Or, you can take the goods elsewhere to be fixed and ask the supplier to pay for the cost of repair.

Serious problems

If the problem is a serious one (the goods are unsafe, substantially do not meet acceptable quality, fitness for particular purpose, description or sample), you can choose to:

return (reject) the goods and get your money back, or
return the goods for a replacement of similar value and type (if the goods are reasonably available as part of the supplier's stock ), or
keep the goods and have the price reduced to make up for its drop in value.
If the goods cause damage when they become faulty -the washing machine floods the laundry ruining the vinyl flooring - you can ask the supplier to pay for the damage. This is called consequential loss (http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/cga/consqntlloss.html).

WINJA
17th May 2005, 17:54
COULD WE RUN A POLL HERE , IF WE SAY IN THE POLL SOMETHING LIKE ARE THESE GOODS OF MERCHANTABLE QUALITY OR NOT AND IF NOT DOES THE AMOINT OF PROBS WITH THE BIKE WARRANT A REFUND , THIS POLL MAYBE USED AS AN INDICATOR TO WHOEVER THAT THIS BIKE IS NOT OF MERCHANTABLE QUALITY. (CAN SOMEONE PUT THIS INTO ENGLISH FOR ME).
AND ARE WE RINGING CYCLESPOT YET OR NOT I DONT WANT TO HEAD OFF DOING MY OWN THING AND DAMAGING THIS GUYS CHANCES IM WAITING FOR HIS GO AHEAD

gav
17th May 2005, 20:07
So when did the sidestand come lose? Did you mention it to the Timaru dealer? Did you get the old clutch plates back from Timaru dealer? Are these the ones that Blue Wing inspected or the ones that are in you bike now? The ticking noise is more than likely something to do with replacing the shim in the first week isnt it? Why did they need to replace the shim? Possibly the right size shim is still not installed?

Sensei
17th May 2005, 20:20
Burn them at the Stake . People don't need this when ya just brought a brand new bike :mad:

ams67
18th May 2005, 13:03
To all the bikers out there,
Thanks very much for your support, I have had great meeting with Cyclespot and between up have come up with a very pleasing results. This now ends this matter and I am once again a very happy biker.

AMS67

StoneChucker
18th May 2005, 13:22
Thanks very much for your support, I have had great meeting with Cyclespot and between up have come up with a very pleasing results. This now ends this matter and I am once again a very happy biker.

AMS67
What was it???
A new bike? A repaired bike, to your satisfaction? A job as a salesman? 10 free lap dances at the local?

Anyway, glad you're happy - that's the main thing!

ManDownUnder
18th May 2005, 13:28

AMS67

I'm guessing it's all under the protection of a Non Disclosure clasue and if ams opens his mouth it'll cost him dearly... and no matter what our opinions are of that... that's the way it is.

I, for one, don't expect to be privy...

ams - hope it's all as good as you say dude... good on you
MDU

Waylander
18th May 2005, 13:45
I'm with MDU on this one. Just glad a fellow biker got his wheels. Good on ya mate.:Punk:

k14
18th May 2005, 14:09
Thought that they would want everyone to know what they did so that it restores our faith in honda nz etc.

Glad to see it has been sorted.

Zapf
18th May 2005, 14:16
So what did you get instead of a lemon? :killingme :killingme :D :msn-wink: :Punk:

Congrets regardless!

inlinefour
18th May 2005, 14:16
Look at what he was asking for...
..I'd wage a bet that he has got it :msn-wink:

Hope all is well with your new ride :niceone:

WINJA
18th May 2005, 17:45

AMS67
CHOICE MATE HOPE YOU STICK AROUND

MD
18th May 2005, 18:17
Good to hear you are happy with the outcome Antonio, that's all that matters.
No doubt at some future date you will get around to 'updating' your profile that today shows you own 4 bikes. You must have a big garage.

gav
18th May 2005, 18:41
Well, maybe, but why did it take so long to get sorted? :no: Dunno if I'd be so patient....
I'd also like to know how they settled, if I was forking out $22K think I'd like to know what they were offering, if they're not interested in telling, I'm not interested in buying......

StoneChucker
18th May 2005, 22:17
FIRSTLY, I didn't say I wanted to know over and above a private agreement. I thought he might be able to / want to tell us more... If it's private, of course I'm happy leaving it at that - and enjoy whatever outcome you got mate :ride: :D

Secondly, I'm not overly impressed with this. It just seems to me, that given someone else buying a lemon a different outcome might be reached, maybe not such a fortunate one, based on how much of a stink they kick up, and how good they are at doing it.

Makes me pretty annoyed thinking that I might get stuck with a lemon, just because I don't come across in the same way. There SHOULD be a uniform result to each case with the same circumstances. Luckily, my bike's a golden delicious :msn-wink:

ManDownUnder
19th May 2005, 11:48
FIRSTLY, I didn't say I wanted to know over and above a private agreement. I thought he might be able to / want to tell us more... If it's private, of course I'm happy leaving it at that - and enjoy whatever outcome you got mate :ride: :D

Secondly, I'm not overly impressed with this. It just seems to me, that given someone else buying a lemon a different outcome might be reached, maybe not such a fortunate one, based on how much of a stink they kick up, and how good they are at doing it.

Makes me pretty annoyed thinking that I might get stuck with a lemon, just because I don't come across in the same way. There SHOULD be a uniform result to each case with the same circumstances. Luckily, my bike's a golden delicious :msn-wink:

Am inclined to agree with (what I think is) the principle of what you're saying...

to paraphrase... if a Lemon is sold and a dealer addresses the problem why isn't anyone allowed to know?

Or conversersely, if it's something the retailer should have done anyway - why keep it secret.

I think there's a PR scoop on this (if they'd behaved above board etc). We done wrong, we said so and we fixed it!

We have a happy customer, and we have a customer that will likely come back.

As it stands - we now have a community of friends and contacts that know of the problem, know it got escalated and will never get resolution to it. That places a dirty great question over our dependability as a retailer of motorcycles and puts into some reasonable doubt any future business with those knowing about the problem.

.... or did I miss the point.

That all being said, if this is all locked up under and NDA and or someone will get in trouble for detailing the resolution, I expect to know nothing.

MDU

HenryDorsetCase
20th May 2005, 12:41
All of Antonio's complaints relate to customer service and the underlying attitude. With each of them, they had a choice that would've cost them relatively little (especially given Antonio's financial outlay for the CBR), but which would have been good PR, and they instead acted like Antonio was lying, maltreated his new bike, and was just a nuisance. In fact, he'd bought a new bike, he expected it to be very good, and when there were failures, he expected them to stand behind their product and treat him with courtesy, respect and good will.

that sums it up in a paragraph.

I was in the fortunate position of buying a new car last year, (not expensive...$26k), but from the treatment I got at the dealership, youd think I had dropped half a mill on a new Bentley... and every time I take it in for a service, more of the same. Where will i get my next car from...?? you guessed it. (new Subaru Legacy 3.0R wagon.... in black with the big wheels... who'd buy european.....???) but I digress.

it is absolutely not unreasonable to expect good service when dropping a significant amount of coin on something you dont NEED, but really WANT.

Having read the BW letter it does sound as if they are trying a bit harder.

V Twin Raver
15th June 2005, 07:43
Hi there, I tried PMing you but wouldn't allow me to. I hope you don't mind me asking but I have read your experience regarding the CBR & just had an inquiry.

I am currently looking at a couple of these & just yesterday viewed a charcoal model at Cyclespot in Takapuna. Is this by chance your old unit?? Had approx 7000km and apparently the rider had taken it to the South Island - all started sounding too familiar.

Don't want too much info but just wondered if you could confirm or deny if this might in fact be your old unit - naturally, if it is I don't much want to consider it.

marty
15th June 2005, 11:42
has it got a ticking noise? see how they react when you tell them that you want to run it up to operating temp...

V Twin Raver
15th June 2005, 12:54
running to operating temp won't be a prob - they have offered for me to take it out its just I did not have riding gear whilst I was there. Maybe the weekend.

DingDong
15th June 2005, 17:22
Cool, calm and collective is the key, they have an obligation to sell you the bike you purchased in the condition they advertised... keep returning it until its fixed.
There is one well known NZ case (law of presedence) where a woman kept returning a vehicle for seven years, a lawer will be familiar with this case so you have good grounds for at least 7 years.

However, they do not have to replace the bike unless they cannot reair the faults. Once they refuse to repair the bike you may take it to an alternate repairer and seek compensation from the dealer/manufacturer.

I'm not a lawer (just done a few papers), find a lawer if things go crappy, download these from govt legislation site:
1 sale of goods act
2 consumer garentees act
3 fair trading act

I think you'll be surprised at what your entitled to... take the copies with you when you visit the dealer, dont quote anything... just flash it to them quietly like, you'll put the shits up them real fast.

The dealer should also pay to transport the bike when it breaks, so get an after hours number from them (they are liable 24-7)
If you transport it, it gives them the opp to blame you for the damage.

Read those acts or get someone to explain them to you in full because you maybe able to demand a refund if your sale meets the applicable criteria.

Good luck :yes:
I know, im too late... but good advise so I'll leave it up, alot of people a not aware of their rights

WINJA
15th June 2005, 17:25
Hi there, I tried PMing you but wouldn't allow me to. I hope you don't mind me asking but I have read your experience regarding the CBR & just had an inquiry.

I am currently looking at a couple of these & just yesterday viewed a charcoal model at Cyclespot in Takapuna. Is this by chance your old unit?? Had approx 7000km and apparently the rider had taken it to the South Island - all started sounding too familiar.

Don't want too much info but just wondered if you could confirm or deny if this might in fact be your old unit - naturally, if it is I don't much want to consider it.
THERES 1000S OF BIKES FOR SALE FIND SOMETHING ELSE

V Twin Raver
16th June 2005, 08:01
THERES 1000S OF BIKES FOR SALE FIND SOMETHING ELSE

Thanks for the advice, however, when you have narrowed your choices down to two models, they are late model & you are looking for a low miler winter bargain, the choices can be limited - especially in what I am after - trust me, during my pre purchase review, I closely analyse the entire NZ market before making a decision. I could wait until 06 model years start getting released, however, I have been without a bike now for 2 months & I am keen to get back in the saddle.......so to speak.

WINJA
16th June 2005, 15:20
Thanks for the advice, however, when you have narrowed your choices down to two models, they are late model & you are looking for a low miler winter bargain, the choices can be limited - especially in what I am after - trust me, during my pre purchase review, I closely analyse the entire NZ market before making a decision. I could wait until 06 model years start getting released, however, I have been without a bike now for 2 months & I am keen to get back in the saddle.......so to speak.
AND IF YOU GET HIS OLD LEMON YOULL BE WITHOUT A BIKE AGAIN, HONDA ARE SHIT FOR WARRANTYS WELL BIKES ,OUTBOARDS AND MOWERS ANYWAY .IF YOU LIKE THAT HONDA CBR1000 ONE OF THE OTHER 3 WOULD BE JUST AS GOOD AND THAT YAMAHA R1 IS A REAL LOOKER

Fart
17th June 2005, 11:09
Cheers
Antonio

sorry to hear about your problems. Hope it is all sorted out. If not PM me and I will introduce you a good barrister.

Qkchk
17th June 2005, 15:33
Like everyone else here, I feel totally sympathetic with you. There is nothing more 'gut-wrenching' than a damn lemon, specially when its 'the bike of your dreams'.

I have been in a related position, where I was up for a new bike. 'The bike to have and keep for 3 - 4 years' so making the right choice was extremely important. I talked to alot of people to get their opinion and looked at quite a few bikes (ZX10, R1 and GSXR1000). I was also keen on the '05 CBR1000 (Repsol fairing) but to try and get a test-ride out of Cyclespot was a waste of time. They must of thought I was a 'time-waster' since I was a woman, but the second time I popped in they were better. I did take a RC51 out but it was too lazy for my likings so I tried a '05 CBR1100XX out but the dumb buggers gave me the bike with the fuel gauge in the red! Ok, I will test ride the bike, let me run out of go-guice on the damn motorway!! Good thinking guys, shows how professional you are.

It must of pissed them off to see me turn up on my K5 Busa, they just lost a new bike sale. :ride:

As for closing words, Don't give up and don't let them get away with it! Remember the customer is ALWAYS RIGHT! Keep us posted and good luck. :love:

Toast
17th June 2005, 16:31
The guy fixed his problem and seems happy with the result...

but if anyone wants to start a cyclespot rant thread...I'll be there :)

zooter
21st June 2005, 23:34

See who used to own it and if his first name is Antonio you can report back.

motobob
22nd June 2005, 19:18
[QUOTE=Qkchk]Like everyone else here, I feel totally sympathetic with you. There is nothing more 'gut-wrenching' than a damn lemon, specially when its 'the bike of your dreams'.

I Just bought a Honda from these guys and found them great to deal with. Qkchk you must have Suzuki 4eva on your forehead :whistle: . I've been into bike shops ready to buy where they Ignore you (Holeshot for one). The best one was after organising a test ride with AMPS on a CBR600 at a specific time they completely ignored me. Since I ride 2 Honda's and a KTM, both brands they sell I just couldn't believe it. They only seemed interested in the tyre kickers in the shop. They are a successful shop so they must be doing something rite. Thats when Cyclespot got the sale.

As for Antonio's CBR, I read this thread carefully before buying from Cyclespot. Having been an importer of products I can understand some of the issues here. Basically Cyclespot should have got Antonio sorted out a lot sooner but their hands are tied by Blue Wing Honda who should acted a lot faster in getting the bike on the road ASAP rather than excuses about waiting for parts (lucky he didn't own a Kawasaki in 1973, 18 months wait back then). They should have stripped a new one for the parts. Oh and Antonio had the Honda Riders Club support to get him to an authorised Dealer to fix his clutch. It appears to be a comedy of unfortunate errors. Like many solutions If only they had applied the final outcome in the 1st place everyone would have been better off Ah hindsight is wonderful.

All the same Antonio stuck to his principles and achieved a result he is happy with. Yeah could someone untie him and remove his gag :clap:

Phew that was long, so much for a quick word.

Motobob