PDA

View Full Version : Any Honda Magna riders out there ?

Odin
13th May 2005, 05:27
I have a Honda magna 750 and have a few minor issues and would like to hear if anybody have any expirience with this type of bike. It's an old girl from 83 and yes i know that there has been known issues with this type of bike but anyway. I have given (..or rather had the shop give) it a full service with oil plugs and the like. But i feel the engine is getting a bit on the hot side. It appears the temp gage isen't working so here i'm judging by the suntanned felling i get on the inside of my right leg after riding it in jeans. Perhaps all is good but... would like to know a bit more.

I alsoo have a problem with the seat. Its been recovered and the bike has a nice new paint job but the seat is loose as the helmet lock dosn't seem to go up far enough to lock in the seat. I'm not sure weather this is the helmet lock being to worn or if its the "bits" on the seat thats a bit off.

Anyway any expirienses with this type bike would be great to hear.

ydeardorff
2nd June 2005, 08:13
yeah I got one just arose her from the flames of death. riding her every day to work and back.
What do you need to know?

vifferman
2nd June 2005, 08:41
The "suntanned" right leg is an in-built feature of the motor. In stop/go traffic, it feels like you're riding a pot-belly stove with wheels. The seat lock issue should be fixable, but if the parts are very worn (and not just wrongly adjusted) you might have to get some parts from another Honda to fix it, maybe even including a seat base. Dunno without looking at it.

Are you aware of the various Magna forums on the Interdweeb? Just search for "Sabmag forum".

Odin
2nd June 2005, 10:59
Glad to hear that the heat issue isn’t really to worry about. Makes me feel somewhat at ease. I will have a look at sabmag, thanks. It also uses a bit of oil it seems ? I had it serviced and after 3-400km's the oil light came on again ??? (Might be a faulty sensor but.....) Its an 84 model and might have the reported oil pressure issue :argh:

ydeardorff : I was just seeing if there was any other Magna riders out there that’s all. Maybe share some experiences with this bike ? Anything you think I should know as a new'ish owner ? I have though gotten a xv500 to learn on first. I have been out of bike riding for a while and the 500 is better for me to start on I think. Lighter and that. I will keep the vf750 for when I get a bit more comfortable I think. Btw, dorff ? why ? That’s village in German ! are you from Germany ? (My last name comes from Germany but was in Denmark for 6 generations)

Magna87
4th November 2005, 14:21
Hi there, I just bought an 87 Magna. Good to know there are others out there.

Mine sounds like the gearbox could do with attention. Any one know a good parts supplier?

Cheers

thehollowmen
4th November 2005, 15:20
Hi there, I just bought an 87 Magna. Good to know there are others out there.

Mine sounds like the gearbox could do with attention. Any one know a good parts supplier?

Cheers
Welcome to the site... can't really help you from here but I'm sure others will

Astolat
28th February 2006, 18:00
Hi there.

I'm looking at getting a 250 Magna. Would you recommend one for a learner.
They seem to keep there $$ even with age.
The only thing I would worry about is fixing it? I'm no techy.
Cheers

diddle
10th April 2006, 11:27
we bought one off trade me , a 1985 750 45,000ks very tidy but had a blown head gasket for $1500. took a gamble with it after all i read about cams, oil flow problems, blah ,blah. it is in doctors gettin gasket done, minimal wear on cams etc, doctor reckond overheating caused gasket to go . but after open road riding, around town will cause them to heat up . apperently thats what happened to the previous owner, apart from that should be a good healthy bike . i have tried to find a supplier in nz for the oil modification kit for it just in case but not having much luck, if any one can help it would be much appreciated. let you now how it goes afta easter (maiden voyage hopefully) good luck with yours .

willy_01
10th April 2006, 14:38
ive got a vf1000f (sport bike lookin) with similar engine. I cant find any oil kits for sale in new zealand but i have found some really good info on how to build your own, im going to give it a go as kits cost about $300 USD with out shippin and tax and you dont get much for your money. Anyway check out http://www.v4hondabbs.com the guys on that site know there stuff !

As for the heat problem i suffer from the same thing, the temp keeps rising and the fans dont kick in! however im pretty sure i will be able to use the thermostat out of a late 70's early 80's civic which will activate at 50*C rather than 80+*C.
these are all up and coming mods so ill keep you posted.

cheers Sam

oldrider
10th April 2006, 14:57
I owned a 700cc Magna six speed, can't remember what vintage it was.
It was imported by some dude from the air force or such up in S/E Asia, I think.
The bike had about 5000km on it and it was a really good runner and an excellent ride.
My wife used it to go to town (100km) in preference to the car.(Low seat height)
I only traded it in to buy a Honda ST1100 when they first came out ( because of their long range capability)
The Magna was a very satisfactory bike but just had a silly little fuel tank and I always had to carry a can with me and that really pissed me off.
Otherwise I rate that bike as one of the better ones I have had.
Maybe I didn't have it long enough to find out it's real faults.
We remember it fondly. Cheers John.

grey ghost
21st August 2006, 12:17
I've recently just bought a '94 250 magna, well bout six months ago excellent for learners easy to maintain have done nothing to mine since buying it doe's bout 180 kms on one fill before hitting reserve unless you ride it hard then it drops to bout 160 all in all a magic small range cruiser.

heavenly.talker
23rd August 2006, 17:30
Hey I have a 93 Magna 750. She is fantastic and I can't rave enough about it! The only bug bear is the little tank, I have to fill up every 160 k's. With touring or long range riding I get a little nervous, so make lots of stops to top off the tank.

Black betty runs and rides like a dream although the back occasionally slips slightly...nothing scary but just enough to start treating her with a little more respect.

One thing I have found with this bike is that she hates the choke and will run like a sack of brown stuff if the choke is mistakenly left on/out. Infact after turning over, I don't even warm her with the choke on, as it seems to flood and then stall the engine.

She has a great turn of acceleration and just manages to sneak through most places when commuting to work in the morning.

4.5/5

Cookie
23rd August 2006, 17:53
Hi grey ghost.

As is often said - welcome to the madhouse!

You picked a fun bike to own - I still love mine. I'm ready for something bigger soon when time and money allow but until then, I'm very happy.

I get about the same distance from a tank too so that's good to know.