PDA

View Full Version : More computer probelms

Ms Piggy
13th May 2005, 08:42
Ok well last night my flatmate was using my pc and it froze, he says to me, "Do you know what 'system ini is?" Anyhoo, I didn't and so he did something to do with 'ctrl, delete, shift' and when I start my pc now I get this message:

Cannot find a device that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.

The window registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the assosciated application using its uninstall or set up program.

If you still want to use this application assosciated with this device file, try reinstalling that applcation to replace the missing file.
C:\PROGRA`1\NORTON`1NAVAP.VXD

I had to reinstall my printer and my computer won't remember some of my passwords and everything on my desktop had moved around and some of the icons had changed.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp! I am illiterate when it comes to computers.

Shit time to go!

NordieBoy
13th May 2005, 09:32
Re-install Norton Antivirus to get rid of the message.
Then un-install Norton and put a good free AV on.
Looks like the registry has spat the dummy.
You'll probably find your e-mail has gone walkies as well.

speedpro
13th May 2005, 09:47
I just downloaded free "registry mechanic" software. Found lots of problems on my PC which are contributing to a gradual slowing down process. It fixes a few but you have to fork out some money for the full monty version.

System.ini is NOT a good file to be getting rid of. Depends exactly on what the flatmate did but you 'may' be able to get the original file back by restoring it from the recycle bin. If he did shift/delete though it's history.

Other free software I've found useful was "bazooka".

Ms Piggy
13th May 2005, 13:31
Re-install Norton Antivirus to get rid of the message.
Then un-install Norton and put a good free AV on.
Looks like the registry has spat the dummy.
You'll probably find your e-mail has gone walkies as well.
Email hasn't cos I don't use Outlook Express but, like I say it won't remember some of my passwords now.

Ms Piggy
13th May 2005, 13:35
System.ini is NOT a good file to be getting rid of. Depends exactly on what the flatmate did but you 'may' be able to get the original file back by restoring it from the recycle bin. If he did shift/delete though it's history.

Hmmmmm, I thought as much! Thanks, yes it sounds like he did do shift/delete. I'll ask him next time I see him.

badlieutenant
13th May 2005, 13:40
if your keen on a rebuild cath give me a pm

The Tazman
13th May 2005, 15:39
I am not an expert but here is my attempt

If you are running XP try a system restore from a date before this happened.

I am quite sure you can do this on previous OS's but not as easily.

Taz

crashe
13th May 2005, 18:02
I hope you get your comp back up and running again...

Next time tell your flatemate to stop tittooing with things in the comp.

Antallica
13th May 2005, 19:10
Shame people don't have to get a license to use one :niceone:

I'm all for that, seeing as I'm the poor bastard that used to have to fix stuff like that.