PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

shweppsie
9th March 2010, 13:19
I recently replaced the oil and oil filter on my SRX 250 (1990). After doing this oil kept leaking out from around the oil filter during riding. It's only a small amount but when it drips onto the exhaust and smells of burning oil it's not so nice. I decided to replace to rubber seal that goes around the oil filter. After changing the seal yesterday oil is still leaking. I'm starting to wonder if the new oil filter could be at fault here? The oil level seems dead on and not over so I don't think there is too much oil in the bike.

So I'm posting here to find out if anyone can help me work out what's going wrong.

dipshit
9th March 2010, 13:38
First things first...

Can you be sure you didn't double gasket it..??

Secondly... did you tighten the filter to specifications..??

shweppsie
9th March 2010, 13:41
I pulled out the old gasket if that is what you mean?

I don't have a service manual to know how tight to do up the screws but from what I am told they are aluminium and can break, so I have tightened them as much as I can, without really forcing them.

p.dath
9th March 2010, 15:22
My oil filter comes with a rubber seal on it. Did you remember to put a ring of oil around it before putting it on?

Is the surface it is mating to clean?

hayd3n
9th March 2010, 15:29
My oil filter comes with a rubber seal on it. Did you remember to put a ring of oil around it before putting it on?

Is the surface it is mating to clean?

what he said

Ixion
9th March 2010, 15:33
SRX250 oil filter is different. No gasket, and it's internal, loose fit. Do you mena it's lekaing around the oil filter housing? There should eb a rubber oring around the filter cover. Is that what you replaced? You ddin't get the filter in backwards by any chance?

shweppsie
15th March 2010, 17:34
Doesn't seem to be in the wrong way round. Here are some photos. Maybe someone will notice what I'm doing wrong.

CookMySock
15th March 2010, 18:09
I think the O ring is the wrong one. Use a fatter O ring perhaps.

Steve

shweppsie
15th March 2010, 18:32
I replaced the o ring with one I ordered from Waikato Yamaha so surely it should be the right one. The one before leaked too. The filter does look considerably different to the one I took out. Anyone know what type of filter this is and what types work on an SRX 250?

Dodgyiti
15th March 2010, 19:28
I had an SRX400 and it looked exactly the same as your pictures.
It is a simple seal. Only warping of the cover plate or the seal being incorrect or not fat enough could cause leakage. It's not leaking out of the bottom cover bolt is it? Mine had ali washers on the 3 oil filter cover bolts.

shweppsie
15th March 2010, 19:36
Yer it is leaking from the bottom. I don't remember any washers though. I'm pretty sure the cover isn't warped, though I haven't checked. I'm going to assume the O ring is correct considering I only just replaced it, and it was the same as the one I removed. Considering the leak only happened since I changed the oil filter I'm guessing it's either the filter or something I missed when I took it apart. Should I ask the Yamaha dealer if he knows if there should be a washer?

The Pastor
15th March 2010, 21:24
go to repco and get a tube of hylomar and apply that (lots of it) to your seal then see if you still have leaks.

Katman
16th March 2010, 07:19
You're missing the small O ring that goes in the recess in the bottom bolt hole.

Try looking in the oil drain tray.

MotoKuzzi
16th March 2010, 09:17
You're missing the small O ring that goes in the recess in the bottom bolt hole.

Well spotted.

Squiggles
19th March 2010, 18:26

No wonder people pay you for this :yes:

SPP
19th March 2010, 19:32

No wonder people pay you for this :yes:

I was thinking the same thing

shweppsie
26th March 2010, 19:32
Wow thanks for all your help. I found the little o ring, fitted it, and now it's not leaking.