PDA

View Full Version : Emergency lanes?

ldnz
9th March 2010, 16:58
I've just heard that lane splitting on the port/sh16 --> sh1 north bound onramp is considered driving in an emergency lane and was very successfully policed yesterday. WTF? What constitutes an emergency lane? Apparently lane splitting while it was a single lane was not on, but its all ok once that has merged with the sh16 east bound offramp and is two lanes again.

Thoughts?

p.dath
9th March 2010, 17:00
I've just heard that lane splitting on the port/sh16 --> sh1 north bound onramp is considered driving in an emergency lane and was very successfully policed yesterday. WTF? What constitutes an emergency lane? Apparently lane splitting while it was a single lane was not on, but its all ok once that has merged with the sh16 east bound offramp and is two lanes again.

Thoughts?

Are you talking about lane splitting where you are driving in the same lane as a vehicle but overtaking it on the right hand size (aka, legally lane splitting), or just plane well riding in the emergency/break down lane on the left hand side of the road?

ldnz
9th March 2010, 17:36
Sorry I wasn't actually involved, but my understanding is people on both the leftside (undertaking, yep dodgy) and the righthand side of the port onroad were pulled over. The cops were sitting in the fork where the two lanes meet.

p.dath
9th March 2010, 17:53
Sorry I wasn't actually involved, but my understanding is people on both the leftside (undertaking, yep dodgy) and the righthand side of the port onroad were pulled over. The cops were sitting in the fork where the two lanes meet.

If they left the lane and crossed into the emergency lane then I don't see much of an argument. But it seems a tad over-zealous of the Police to target this.

RUSS
9th March 2010, 18:35
It wasn't me. I was at home all day.

Scuba_Steve
10th March 2010, 15:09
but it was an emergency officer... I HAD to get past these cars! :lol:

peasea
10th March 2010, 17:36
but it was an emergency officer... I HAD to get past these cars! :lol:

I tried that, it didn't work. Neither did having a tanty, throwing my helmet and abusing the wanker.
Ok, I was guilty of riding in the emergency lane, but it was crawling traffic, had been for ages, stinking hot day, I was sweating like a pig (pun intended), loaded bike, heading away for the long w/e. It would have been an emergency if I'd passed out. Did he give a fuck? Nah, just opened my the wallet as per usual. Would I do it again? Fuckin' oath.

Max Preload
10th March 2010, 17:43
What constitutes an emergency lane?

What's it actually marked as? I suspect it's a shoulder so requires no specific signage, just occassional large diagonal marking.

ldnz
10th March 2010, 20:16
Yeah I guess thats it. I've just never thought about it before and would have happily lane split there prior to this.

kwaka_crasher
10th March 2010, 20:55
Were the cars stationary when you passed them? If so they were parked...

If they were moving, as long as you passed on the right of them and stayed within the same lane as the vehicle you are passing you're actually overtaking.