PDA

View Full Version : Dropped it again!

Tryhard
10th March 2010, 21:10
Not as bad as it sounds realy.

No marks at all.

I must had flicked the little lever on the side of my helmet and it sort of came loose when I was ripping down Ardmore road.

I pulled over to the side of the road. Yes I saw the gravel!!!!!!!!!!!

However I thought hmm I wont put my stand down because it will fall over but if I just stop carefully and them DAM it fell over.

A lady stopped and asked if I was ok. Sure I was I said. She drove off I picked the bike up and then dropped it again on the other side.

Must have looked bloody funny!

But then it wouldnt start argh!!!!!!

Got it started by turning it over heaps with full throttle. Took off- then it died again when I changed up.

Then she wouldnt start.

What had I done?

Managed to get it started about twenty minutes later in the dark with the choke????? Why was that???

Couple off cooughs up the road it came right.

What had I done. Have I stuffed something up?

Shall I get it checked out? Clean the carbs?

Sorry i realy dont have an idea.

PrincessBandit
10th March 2010, 21:25
sorry to hear about your wee accident! My family ride around that general area, and my son fair zips his GS500 through some of the corners out Clevedon way - I'm waiting for the day we get a call saying he's done the same as you.
Unless you're really confident about checking your bike over yourself it would probably be a good idea to get it checked by a mechanic (or mate who knows about these things). 2 wheels - it just ain't worth the risk that something could have been damaged and you only find out when you can least afford it!! (i.e. on the road)

chic 'n' charge
10th March 2010, 21:37
However I thought hmm I wont put my stand down because it will fall over but if I just stop carefully and them DAM it fell over. Then she wouldnt start. What had I done? Managed to get it started about twenty minutes later in the dark with the choke????? Why was that???
Couple off cooughs up the road it came right. What had I done. Have I stuffed something up? Shall I get it checked out? Clean the carbs? Sorry i realy dont have an idea.

Don't panic - we've all (well some wont admit it) done something similar - mine seemed to always be on grass either in a paddock or on side of road, oh and shingle wasn't very friendly to me either.

Anyway, it sounds like when you've laid the bike on it's side that you've flooded it - and yes turning the choke on clears this. Another way to clear it is to start it with the throttle fully open - this way any extra fuel will clear and it will fire up.

Check in the morning that there are no leaks around your bike in the garage and try starting it. If it doesn't start like normal then I would get it checked out.

Just remember.....bikes don't like lying down.

Chin up bud - you'll look back in a couple of months and laugh your head off. :yes::yes:

Tryhard
10th March 2010, 21:46
Anyway, it sounds like when you've laid the bike on it's side that you've flooded it - and yes turning the choke on clears this. Another way to clear it is to start it with the throttle fully open - this way any extra fuel will clear and it will fire up.

Check in the morning that there are no leaks around your bike in the garage and try starting it. If it doesn't start like normal then I would get it checked out.

Just remember.....bikes don't like lying down.

Dam I hope u r right. I was pretty gutted! Is it realy weird to think u love your first bike?

blackdog
10th March 2010, 21:47
i have been following your threads, and the more i read, the more i believe you are a danger to yourself and other road users.

please reconsider your decison to ride motorcycles. i'm sure there is another hobby out there that can be just as exciting for you, while at the same time keeping us all just a little bit safer on the streets.

please also discount any pastimes that involve electricity, flying or firearms

maybe stamp collecting? just be sure to watch out for papercuts.

Ender EnZed
10th March 2010, 21:49

If it starts fine in the morning then there's nothing wrong with it starting.

blackdog
10th March 2010, 21:51
Is it realy weird to think u love your first bike?

fatal attraction

Tryhard
10th March 2010, 21:55
please reconsider your decison to ride motorcycles. i'm sure there is another hobby out there that can be just as exciting for you, while at the same time keeping us all just a little bit safer on the streets.

please also discount any pastimes that involve electricity, flying or firearms

maybe stamp collecting? just be sure to watch out for papercuts.[/QUOTE]

The mishaps Im having geeeeeeee I think I beleive u!

Cayman911
10th March 2010, 22:05
I think all you need to do is take it easy. a while back you were doing 140. thats not exactly learning to ride.

take it slow. it will all come together. best of luck

Tryhard
10th March 2010, 22:08
I think all you need to do is take it easy. a while back you were doing 140. thats not exactly learning to ride.

take it slow. it will all come together. best of luck I know u r right. Just cant help seeing what the top end was.

Ender EnZed
10th March 2010, 22:09
Also: learn how to use quotes.

blackdog
10th March 2010, 22:09
take it slow.

and make sure your donor card is filled out.......

Tryhard
10th March 2010, 22:17
Also: learn how to use quotes. Is Dunedin an angry place?

sinfull
10th March 2010, 22:23
I think your right !

Lurch
11th March 2010, 08:49
Is Dunedin an angry place?

Nope, but Stokes Valley probably would become one if you started riding there!

Grasshopperus
11th March 2010, 08:53
Please stay the hell away from Ardmore and south Auckland in general, that's where I ride around and I don't want to be anywhere near you on the road.

Your threads are all; "what's the most powerful gasoline for me to use?", "how do I go faster than 140km/h", "I dropped bike again", "what's the fastest bike for me?". Downwards spiral dude.

Here's an idea for you, find a quiet parking lot somewhere and practice how to not be shit. Go to the free training courses on the North Shore (NASS) or at Manukau (SASS) and get some free skills.

Eyegasm
11th March 2010, 09:20
I love Tryhards threads....

Bring a smile to my face each time, And theblackstigs replies are priceless!!! (And True)

Slyer
11th March 2010, 10:39
When starting your bike you shouldn't give it throttle until it sounds like it's about to start.

Tryhard
11th March 2010, 17:14

Your threads are all; "what's the most powerful gasoline for me to use?", "how do I go faster than 140km/h", "I dropped bike again", "what's the fastest bike for me?". Downwards spiral dude.

THE MOST POWERFUL GAS??????? BULLSHIT THAT IS NOT WOT I ASKED. HOW DO i GO FASTER THAN??????? BULLSHIT! I think your thinking capacity is all up the fuck.

You gunna put up shit like that and personaly attack you better be able to back yourself numbnuts

Tryhard
11th March 2010, 17:34
Nope, but Stokes Valley probably would become one if you started riding there!

LOL I think u r right

blackdog
11th March 2010, 17:53
i have done some research for you. everything you need to know is here.......

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/655

Little Miss Trouble
11th March 2010, 18:02
C'n'C is right, sounds like you've flooded the engine and all should be good again now provided its not leaking etc, those GPX's are pretty good at taking a bit of a beating!

Now to issues that brought about this unfortunate event.

Before getting on your bike take a moment to ensure everything is done up properly ie boots, pants, jacket - including pockets (put the key in the ignition first!) followed by your helmet and then your gloves last of all. It starts off as a mental checklist but will become ritualistic very quickly and you won't have to think about it anymore.

Gravel can be a nasty evil thing but a couple of things that'll help you avoid the same trouble again - keep looking up at where you want to go, not down at the problem, weight the pegs (lift yourself up off the seat slightly using your legs) this helps lower the bikes centre of gravity. Avoid using the front brake on gravel, using the rear is ok but apply it smoothly and progressively rather than stamping down on it.

PS sorry to everyone who's been having fun winding up the new kid, might be a good idea to give him some actual advice as well though right?

Ronin
11th March 2010, 18:05
Not as bad as it sounds realy.

No marks at all.

I must had flicked the little lever on the side of my helmet and it sort of came loose when I was ripping down Ardmore road.

I pulled over to the side of the road. Yes I saw the gravel!!!!!!!!!!!

However I thought hmm I wont put my stand down because it will fall over but if I just stop carefully and them DAM it fell over.

A lady stopped and asked if I was ok. Sure I was I said. She drove off I picked the bike up and then dropped it again on the other side.

Must have looked bloody funny!

But then it wouldnt start argh!!!!!!

Got it started by turning it over heaps with full throttle. Took off- then it died again when I changed up.

Then she wouldnt start.

What had I done?

Managed to get it started about twenty minutes later in the dark with the choke????? Why was that???

Couple off cooughs up the road it came right.

What had I done. Have I stuffed something up?

Sorry i realy dont have an idea.

Please... Consider walking. On low shoes only.

Tryhard
11th March 2010, 18:22
i have done some research for you. everything you need to know is here.......

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/655

Hobbies:Yeah I like the look of that place where u make your own teddy bear. I could put some of my makeup on it we would be best friends for life

blackdog
11th March 2010, 18:58
Hobbies:Yeah I like the look of that place where u make your own teddy bear. I could put some of my makeup on it we would be best friends for life

i just don't think you are getting it. are you using the pc in the patients common room?

Ronin
11th March 2010, 19:04
i just don't think you are getting it. are you using the pc in the patients common room?

Must be, spb can't post at the same time.

Slyer
11th March 2010, 19:09
You're a pretty fuckin' useless troll Stig.

blackdog
11th March 2010, 19:21
You're a pretty fuckin' useless troll Stig.

ahhh, bait :rofl: if that was my intention you would know about it. well.........maybe not you.............

Slyer
11th March 2010, 19:22
You do talk a lot of wank.

howdamnhard
11th March 2010, 19:29
Well Tryhard,you are one lucky guy to have sustained no damage after dropping your bike on both sides (try not make a habit of it,eh).
As others have said , just sounds like you flooded it. Give it a good look over during the day in some good light.
Try taking it easy and enjoy the ride and stop (dare I say it ) being a tryhard.

blackdog
11th March 2010, 19:31
You do talk a lot of wank.

but that i'm sure you are an expert in...

Genie
11th March 2010, 19:48
seriously now, i'm really concerned about your riding ability and just what is going on in your head. Please go and get some serious lessons. I'm also hoping you are young and dumb and will mature - quickly.

be very careful, riding on the road is no place for stupity and seeing as you live in auckland (yuk) that is even scarier.

Tryhard
11th March 2010, 20:16
seriously now, i'm really concerned about your riding ability and just what is going on in your head. Please go and get some serious lessons. I'm also hoping you are young and dumb and will mature - quickly.

be very careful, riding on the road is no place for stupity and seeing as you live in auckland (yuk) that is even scarier.

Funny you should say that. When i got my BHC (1.5hr) I walked on in to the AA paid my money played a computer game. Then I was given a licen. to ride where evr I want to.

Then I had to teach myself from my mistakes. I thought the forum would be a good place to also give some advice so I didnt have to learn EVERYTHING the hard way

I guess I was wrong

Squiggles
11th March 2010, 20:19
www.riderskills.co.nz

Genie
11th March 2010, 20:21
you're learning so I wouldn't say wrong maybe misguided. Go get some lessons, learn from someone elses mistakes. I had a wee lesson the other week (Karel Pavich) and she explained to me a very easy way to manouvre my bike around, you know standing beside it and pushing it around, simple, baisc stuff that I was doing all weird. it's the littlel things that build up to the big things, gotta crawl before you can walk.
Getting advice from here, depends who's giving it whether it's worth anything, get pratical.....go get a lesson/s. Your life is worth it.

Oh and don't forget.....love your skin

newbould
11th March 2010, 20:38
Like a lot of other folk on here I have never dropped my bike because I stopped on gravel - I've never forgotten to buckle my helmet strap properly, never stalled three times on a hill start, never had the bike slip back when on the side stand and knock itself over costing 170 bucks to repair never dropped th eclutch to fast and watched her hit the opposite pavement and never posted on here about it. Good on yah Tryhard tell us all about what we have missed out on

Genie
11th March 2010, 20:40
oooh, the nasty dreaded hillstarts, I stalled and dropped, was trying to turn at the same time, dumb blonde exceeding her capabilities. Oh and I did lay my bike down on the forecourt at the petrol station. Centre of gravity was out of alignment with my body......duh.

blackdog
11th March 2010, 20:56
I thought the forum would be a good place to also give some advice so I didnt have to learn EVERYTHING the hard way

I guess I was wrong

mate, every second post here has given you good advice (skills courses, slow down, give up...etc,etc)

nothing anyone has said seems to have sunk in. did you suffer a head injury in one of your offs and don't comprehend what people are trying to tell you, or are you being deliberately obtuse?

it is by ignoring this advice that you ensure you will learn the 'hard way'. in one of your posts you replied that you didn't think you were ready to go and participate in a skills course! if you do not feel confident enough to go and learn how to improve your riding with professionals in an empty carpark then you have NO business riding on the road!

riding on the road is no place for stupity

i am looking forward to next weeks threads...."is it ok to top up my brake fluid with vegetable oil?" and "i crashed again on a busy motorway trying to learn stoppies to impress girls"........

Cayman911
11th March 2010, 20:59
auckland (yuk)

im sorry , did you just yuk auckland?

or was it yuk, i dont live in auckland? ;)

Cayman911
11th March 2010, 21:01
i am looking forward to next weeks threads...."is it ok to top up my brake fluid with vegetable oil?" and "i crashed again on a busy motorway trying to learn stoppies to impress girls"........

Well if it gets to a next week for there to be a thread. motorways need to be heavily avoided at the moment..

Grasshopperus
11th March 2010, 22:26
You're probably a troll but I can't resist biting.

THE MOST POWERFUL GAS??????? BULLSHIT THAT IS NOT WOT I ASKED. HOW DO i GO FASTER THAN??????? BULLSHIT! I think your thinking capacity is all up the fuck.

I think your writing capacity (??) is all up the fuck too.

I was paraphrasing fool. The intent of your posts was very clear; you wanted to make sure you were getting enough power out of the gas you were putting in. Then you wanted to make yourself comfortable at 140Km/h so you could go even faster.

You gunna put up shit like that and personaly attack you better be able to back yourself numbnuts

There you go, all backed up nicely. Satisfied?

Believe it or not, no one here wants to see people getting hurt while riding a bike. There's heaps of advice on this site, use the search function and google too.

Come to SASS next Wednesday, it's a fun way to learn good survival skills.

blackdog
11th March 2010, 23:47

thank you grasshopperus

no excuses now tryhard. time to put your money where your mouth is

if you fail to take up this challenge there will be no sympathy for you, and you will be subject to (even more) ridicule

i look forward to your first positive thread telling us all what you learned, and how you plan to apply your new skills in everyday riding situations.

Genie
12th March 2010, 05:49
im sorry , did you just yuk auckland?

or was it yuk, i dont live in auckland? ;)

yes, I did yuk Auckland......way way too big, busy, impersonel, dirty, smelly for this small town girl. Though I must say I did like the train ride and the waterfront, but overall, to many people and the traffc, major yuk.

Tryhard
12th March 2010, 06:38
You're probably a troll but I can't resist biting.

I think your writing capacity (??) is all up the fuck too.

I was paraphrasing fool. The intent of your posts was very clear; you wanted to make sure you were getting enough power out of the gas you were putting in. Then you wanted to make yourself comfortable at 140Km/h so you could go even faster.

There you go, all backed up nicely. Satisfied?

Believe it or not, no one here wants to see people getting hurt while riding a bike. There's heaps of advice on this site, use the search function and google too.

Thanx dude- just losing my rag due to all the F ups. It seems crazy anyone can go and buy a bike get a learners and rip off!

SASS course- Papakura BP? not ment to go on the big bad motorway. Shall I rip the L plate off?

DMNTD
12th March 2010, 06:47
...Then I had to teach myself from my mistakes. I thought the forum would be a good place to also give some advice so I didn't have to learn EVERYTHING the hard way

Feel free to come into work (mine) and ask for me. More than happy to help you out.
All I ask is for you not to waste my time with BS...not recommended.

Genie
12th March 2010, 06:56
Thanx dude- just losing my rag due to all the F ups. It seems crazy anyone can go and buy a bike get a learners and rip off!

SASS course- Papakura BP? not ment to go on the big bad motorway. Shall I rip the L plate off?

I think the same about the 'it's crazy to get the licence and buy the bike and ride anywhere'.

You are restricted as to your speed - 70k - and time. For a complete newbie who has never ridden it is so inadequate.

You really do need to go to the skills thing and don't rip off the 'L' plate, with your style of riding you will attract the attention of the law and it's an extra fine for no 'L' plate.

Be safe out there and stay off those scarey motoways.

Eyegasm
12th March 2010, 07:19
Feel free to come into work (mine) and ask for me. More than happy to help you out.

Best piece of advice I have seen on here.

You really do need to learn to control the pony you ride. Being shown some extremely basic stuff
from someone willing to teach you is a huge benefit. I pray you take DMNTD up on his offer and
learn some lifesaving techniques.

From the incidents you are having you really do need to be taken under someones wing, not only
for your safety but the safety of other road users. Not only can he help on controlling your pony,
I am sure he will be able to answer a lot of your other questions to (Petrol, Tyre pressure etc)

Eyegasm

grusomhat
12th March 2010, 07:34
You sound like you're treating your bike as toy. They aren't toys! They are fun, but they lethal machines in the wrong hands (yours by the sounds of it.) Please get some lessons or at least swap to a slow dirtbike for a while.

GOONR
12th March 2010, 08:23
Best piece of advice I have seen on here.

You really do need to learn to control the pony you ride. Being shown some extremely basic stuff
from someone willing to teach you is a huge benefit. I pray you take DMNTD up on his offer and
learn some lifesaving techniques.

From the incidents you are having you really do need to be taken under someones wing, not only
for your safety but the safety of other road users. Not only can he help on controlling your pony,
I am sure he will be able to answer a lot of your other questions to (Petrol, Tyre pressure etc)

Eyegasm

+1. If your straight up and want to learn DMNTD will help you out, I would seriously take up that offer. He will spend time with you and explain what's going on etc etc as long as you don't fuck about.

Grasshopperus
12th March 2010, 08:29

Hey no probs, I bet it is frustrating.

There are mixed opinions on what you can actually get away with on your 'L' plate. Mostly the police won't pull you over unless you're riding poorly on the motorway even at 100km/h with the big L.

SASS meets at the papakura autobahn BP (the offramp between papakura and drury) from 6:30 and leaves at 7pm. We're at the Manukau City Council parking lot from around 7:45pm and that's where we do the low speed cornering and emergency braking practice (among other things).

You can meet us at either place but the 7pm start at Papakura gives the instructors some time to watch you ride and they give you tips when we do arrive at the carpark.

Come along mate, I'll be there, it'll be fun

KelvinAng
12th March 2010, 08:36
I've done the drop-bike-on-both-sides thing as well (not immediately after picking up tho), was a bit embarrassing but hey, part of learning, no? :yes:

Rider training highly recommended. It's fun, and you meet nice people who shares your interest, so why not... You'll also learn the limits of your bike in a safe(r) environment. You're lucky in that they are offered in Auckland. I did mine in Dunedin when I was working there because there's apparently none in Christchurch :mellow:

Ride safe.

Tryhard
12th March 2010, 09:28

Are you about Mon/Tues Chris?

Ronin
12th March 2010, 09:38

And that mate, is the wisest question you have asked so far. You would have trouble finding someone better to help you out. Pay attention and leave the attitude at home, you will learn a great deal.

motor_mayhem
12th March 2010, 10:03
Another avenue for you (TH) to look into is going to the Kawasaki sandpit and hiring a dirt bike for a day. I am guessing the GPX is probably not the lightest machine around, and hiring a dirt bike (which are a lot lighter) is a good way to get your balance sorted and ride in a place where there are less people, no cars and a far more forgiving surface and steed.

Regarding your threads, I think people would sympathise over a few threads saying you have fallen off but NOT beside a thread where you are asking how the bike should be controlled or whatever when you are doing 140 (double the learners limit).

DMNTD
12th March 2010, 11:33

Yeah mate...I never leave damn it!

GOONR
16th March 2010, 10:08
Yeah mate...I never leave damn it!

So, the big question.. Has he actually taken you up on the offer?

As a side note I was gonna pop in and see you about something but I'm fucked if I can remember what is was. :doh::slap: Never mind, it will come back to me.

DMNTD
16th March 2010, 10:50
So, the big question.. Has he actually taken you up on the offer?

As a side note I was gonna pop in and see you about something but I'm fucked if I can remember what is was. :doh::slap: Never mind, it will come back to me.

Yep, he literally left here about 5mins ago. Credit given when due...he listened well,agreed to put certain things into practice and I believe now understands certain concepts of riding etc a little better possibly.
I look forward to his update once he trials a few of the things we discussed...I'm certain it will be a possitive outcome.

LOL...come on in when you remember ya blonde!

GOONR
16th March 2010, 11:01
Yep, he literally left here about 5mins ago. Credit given when due...he listened well,agreed to put certain things into practice and I believe now understands certain concepts of riding etc a little better possibly.
I look forward to his update once he trials a few of the things we discussed...I'm certain it will be a possitive outcome.

LOL...come on in when you remember ya blonde!

Nice one fella, and well done tryhard for seeking advice.

Yeah, I'll pop in when I get a brain!

R-Soul
17th March 2010, 16:54
Seriously, how do you "be careful on the gravel" and then "DAM the bike falls over"?

When you come to a stop, you put your feet down. That way, the bike does not fall over.

If there is a ridge alongside the road, you dont stop next to it, or you put your foot down on the other side. This is not rocket science.

If you cant do this, riding is not your problem, standing is. Edit: Walking and chewing gum together is...

dragon_fly
18th March 2010, 19:34
my rule of thumb as a learner is if ya havent been doing it long then do it slower so that you can control it better. I live on a 16 km gravel road and only the second time i have ever riden it had been freshly graded..... never dropped my shiney bike... but on the gravel i do about 30 km...... road signs are a good indicator.... lol..... let me know when you are selling your baby bike so i can warn anyone buying it lol.... dont worry mate.... we all make mistakes just do it slower and safer....... we are in the midst of trying to convince acc that we are not their major cost lol

dragon_fly
18th March 2010, 19:36
a wise man once said to me i shouldnt be riding at 100 km unless i have tried emergency braking at 100 km..... maybe u need one of the kb mentors

R-Soul
18th March 2010, 20:15
Somebody tell him about counter steering...NOW!

Cayman911
18th March 2010, 21:22
Somebody tell him about counter steering...NOW!

I believe you've just sparked life into another thread which will be starting soon.....Sigh...

Now tryhard, Countersteering is the hardest thing to understand ( and one of the most important things!!!!) , so my first advice is not to try and think about it too much.

Listen to what is being done, watch. get a basic idea of what is happening and how. then go and put it into practice. only way you're gonna understand.

This is a good video (way better than anything else out there) and just sit back, grab some popcorn and enjoy!

<object width="700" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iEKdFNpsz48&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iEKdFNpsz48&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="700" height="505"></embed></object>

DMNTD
19th March 2010, 07:12
Said member now has a mentor, knows about counter steering and has been given a fair bit more 'homework'. :shifty:

Eyegasm
19th March 2010, 07:44
a wise man once said to me i shouldnt be riding at 100 km unless i have tried emergency braking at 100 km..... maybe u need one of the kb mentors

That it quite a good way to look at it, and I agree totally

R-Soul
19th March 2010, 10:40
Said member now has a mentor, knows about counter steering and has been given a fair bit more 'homework'. :shifty:

Awesome!! I wish I had resources like this when I was growing up.
Well done DMNTD!

Grasshopperus
19th March 2010, 11:23
He should've come to SASS on Wednesday, we spent most of the night doing counter-steering exercises. Oh well, I've talked to TryHard and he'll try and make it next week.