PDA

View Full Version : Leda Leathers?

HenryDorsetCase
13th May 2005, 13:25
feedback good bad indifferent?

Thinking of getting a custom built set of leathers.... Since its a significant investmetn, help from others would be appreciated.

Sparky Bills
13th May 2005, 13:29
As far as custom leathers go..

HE IS THE BEST!

White trash
13th May 2005, 13:30
feedback good bad indifferent?

Thinking of getting a custom built set of leathers.... Since its a significant investmetn, help from others would be appreciated.

Brilliantly built, if a little delayed.

PM velox, she's got the cool Leda leathers jacket. I've got a pair of Robert Holdens old 84-85 season Ledas, the things know their way around Manfelid by themselves, 20 years on and they're still holding together really well.

Bit small for ol' Trashy now though.

XTC
13th May 2005, 15:32
I've also noticed how leather shrinks as you age..... :o

GSVR
13th May 2005, 15:40

Mainly around the waistline. Something in the manufacturing.

Artifice
13th May 2005, 16:49
Latex grows with you.

Velox
13th May 2005, 17:23
Yep - they're great. Dusty's really good at just letting you say exactly what you want (and even puts up with people like me being really pedantic) and then producing a excellent quality item. He's being doing it for years and years so it makes sense. I'm getting some pants made at the mo (finally) and am about to subject the poor guy to another bout of being tediously instructed obout every little detail of the design! But yep - he has quite a few 'projects' going at once so be prepared to wait a long time. I reckon it's worth it though.
This is his site: online http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~integra/leda_05/pages/home.htm

Kickaha
13th May 2005, 17:59

Must be cause you're such a fat bastard :killingme

Skunk
13th May 2005, 18:29
I've still got a Leda jacket that he made about 1982-ish... Been down the road at least twice and still going strong.

I've had it about 10 years. The only repair EVER was a zip. :Punk:

White trash
14th May 2005, 10:45
Must be cause you're such a fat bastard :killingme

Fat and proud mate.

Blakamin
14th May 2005, 10:49
Fat and proud mate.
:killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme

you!! fat!!!! :killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme

got the H-D yet???

pete376403
14th May 2005, 16:54
I've got the first one piece leathers Dusty made - prior to that he was only doing jackets and trous. These were made in 1975. They did 16 seasons of speedway at Te Marua including numerous offs. The left knee has worn through the first layer and the zip has been replaced. Apart from that they're still good (but as others have said, leather seems to shrink over the years).
If I had the need, I'd get another set from him tomorrow. The price has probably gone up a little - these ones cost me $99 (was supposed to be $100, but I was $1 short)

speedpro
14th May 2005, 20:49
I got a 2 piece set in about '76 and then a 1 piece set after I finally wore out the originals (100s of bucket crashes and 1 huge one at Pukekohe). They were excellent suits, well made and exactly what I ordered and fitted perfectly. I bought a 2nd hand set 10 years ago and have only had to replace both lower legs after the ambos cut one of them off. I now have all the good armour fitted and a removeable lining (courtesy of Kerry @ MSW).

Excellent gear, very nice work. Kerry as well.

Beemer
30th May 2005, 11:30
My husband still has the set of leathers he got made by Dusty about 20 years ago - and they are in perfect condition. Ugly colours, but that's what he wanted back then and you can't blame Dusty for that! They still fit him too, not fair!

I got Dusty to repair my Cordura trousers after melting the bottom of one leg leaning against the pipes on my Beemer and he did a great job for a very reasonable price - and I had them back very promptly.

He's been doing it long enough for his reputation to go before him - he does a great job and I think he's worth the wait.

Trudes
14th January 2009, 18:32
Sorry about the thread dredge but I just wanted to put in a plug for Dusty at Leda Leathers (http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~integra/leda_05/pages/home.htm).
I took the jacket that I was wearing when I arsed off at Taupo in to Dusty as I had torn a seam in the elbow where the armor is and busted a seam in the pocket area, a pair of leather gloves that saved my hands big time but had a few holes and busted seams, my leather pants which had busted a seam in the same accident and my new squid suit that I needed the legs shortened and tapered in.
I told him that none of it was particularly urgent except for the pants, which he mended for me on the spot while we chatted and he asked me when my next bucket race was so when did I need my suit and I said in about a month.
So anyway, I took all this stuff to him last week and he rings me today to let me know they were all ready to be picked up!! Dusty has done an immaculate job of repairing my gear and an absolutely AWESOME job of my suit!! I couldn't have asked for better, he was fast, very friendly AND about a third of what I had expected to pay!!
I Can't recommend Leda Leathers highly enough.... if I ever (god forbid) need any more repairs done OR any custom made leather gear I will definitely be back to see Dusty! Top Notch!!!:woohoo:

Number One
14th January 2009, 19:43
Dusty has done an immaculate job of repairing my gear and an absolutely AWESOME job of my suit!! I couldn't have asked for better, he was fast, very friendly AND about a third of what I had expected to pay!!
I Can't recommend Leda Leathers highly enough.... if I ever (god forbid) need any more repairs done OR any custom made leather gear I will definitely be back to see Dusty! Top Notch!!!:woohoo:
Good to hear Trudes. In fact I will take those *other brand* gloves in to him and have him do a proper stitching job on them <_<

How you like the new improved bottom of the legs of your squid suit? I will look to get mine shortened I think.

limbimtimwim
14th January 2009, 21:29
Yes, quite a thread dredge!!

But Leda leathers are superb. I own a beautiful bespoke one piece made by him. Yes, beautiful is the right word.

And his prices are comparable to off the rack leathers. The downside is that you have to wait for them to be made once he takes your measurements. The upside is gear made to your specification.

Did I mention it was beautiful?

STOLLI R1
14th January 2009, 22:07
Wow that firkin amazing! Dusty seemed like he had been in the trade for years and years before I even heard of him back in the mid 90s. I can't believe he is still fighting with leather to satisfy the mad crowd of motorcyclists that freqent his place. What a good bugger. I hope he gets the respect he deserves for being there for riders n racers alike for those moments where good leather goes bad, and needs a fixing.

We'll Done Dusty.

Trudes
15th January 2009, 02:37
How you like the new improved bottom of the legs of your squid suit? I will look to get mine shortened I think.
I'm impressed. He shortened them quite a bit and tapered them in a lot as well, so they now fit real snug which is good because I can now get my new boots done up over them, YAHHHHHHH!!!!!!:niceone:
You should definitely get your squid suit into him soon, it didn't seem to me that he was overly busy at the mo as I essentially gave him a month to do my suit and he'd done the whole lot in a week!!!

BMWST?
15th January 2009, 12:06
awesome..i will have to expand the waistline of my late 80s hardly ever worn jacket he made for me...!

sinfull
15th January 2009, 12:14
Brilliantly built, if a little delayed.

PM velox, she's got the cool Leda leathers jacket. I've got a pair of Robert Holdens old 84-85 season Ledas, the things know their way around Manfelid by themselves, 20 years on and they're still holding together really well.

Mainly around the waistline. Something in the manufacturing.

Latex grows with you.

I've got the first one piece leathers Dusty made - prior to that he was only doing jackets and trous. These were made in 1975. They did 16 seasons of speedway at Te Marua including numerous offs. The left knee has worn through the first layer and the zip has been replaced. Apart from that they're still good (but as others have said, leather seems to shrink over the years).
If I had the need, I'd get another set from him tomorrow. The price has probably gone up a little - these ones cost me $99 (was supposed to be $100, but I was $1 short)

I got a 2 piece set in about '76 and then a 1 piece set after I finally wore out the originals (100s of bucket crashes and 1 huge one at Pukekohe). They were excellent suits, well made and exactly what I ordered and fitted perfectly. I bought a 2nd hand set 10 years ago and have only had to replace both lower legs after the ambos cut one of them off. I now have all the good armour fitted and a removeable lining (courtesy of Kerry @ MSW).

Excellent gear, very nice work. Kerry as well.

awesome..i will have to expand the waistline of my late 80s hardly ever worn jacket he made for me...!
Thats 4 fat and 2 old bastards ! Should be a poll !
If anyone makes it a poll, don't forget to add a fat old bastard option !
Thanks

bungbung
15th January 2009, 13:13
Another plug for Dusty, he fixed up my old bucket leathers by stitching up the busted seams.

Lisa had her leather trousers shortened and tapered by Dusty. He did a great job re-siting the armour and zips.

Pussy
15th January 2009, 14:29
Just spoke to Dusty on the phone today regarding doing a mod for me.... he sounded VERY helpful.
Just have to make a trip to Welly now....

F5 Dave
15th January 2009, 16:03
. . . Dusty has done an immaculate job of repairing my gear and an absolutely AWESOME job of my suit!! I couldn't have asked for better, he was fast, very friendly AND about a third of what I had expected to pay!!
. . .

And there in lies the problem. People (aimed at absolutely know one in particular) please don't mess him around with payment & if you think it is cheap push some extra money into his hand (he'll try & refuse) so he is still there when we need him.

limbimtimwim
15th January 2009, 16:56
And there in lies the problem. People (aimed at absolutely know one in particular) please don't mess him around with payment & if you think it is cheap push some extra money into his hand (he'll try & refuse) so he is still there when we need him.True. I've never even so much have raised an eyebrow at what he charged me. It always seems extremely good value. I don't ask him "How much do ya think?", any more so no pressure on him.

Flip
15th January 2009, 20:05
Dusty made me a set of leathers about 15 years ago. Worn out 3 bikes and they are still going strong. About 10 years ago he fitted a girth extension segment, which he could take out now. Top guy and his workmanship is simply the best.

6ft5
17th June 2009, 21:04
Sorry about the thread dredge but I just wanted to put in a plug for Dusty at Leda Leathers (http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~integra/leda_05/pages/home.htm).
I took the jacket that I was wearing when I arsed off at Taupo in to Dusty as I had torn a seam in the elbow where the armor is and busted a seam in the pocket area, a pair of leather gloves that saved my hands big time but had a few holes and busted seams, my leather pants which had busted a seam in the same accident and my new squid suit that I needed the legs shortened and tapered in.
I told him that none of it was particularly urgent except for the pants, which he mended for me on the spot while we chatted and he asked me when my next bucket race was so when did I need my suit and I said in about a month.
So anyway, I took all this stuff to him last week and he rings me today to let me know they were all ready to be picked up!! Dusty has done an immaculate job of repairing my gear and an absolutely AWESOME job of my suit!! I couldn't have asked for better, he was fast, very friendly AND about a third of what I had expected to pay!!

Just tried to email them but it has bounced and am not getting anywhere. Has anyone had a similar experience or an alternative email contact for them?

BMWST?
17th June 2009, 21:07
Leda Leathers
15 Kingsley Street
Stokes Valley
Lower Hutt
Wellington

Tel: 04-934 6510

e-mail: leathers@ihug.co.nz

F5 Dave
17th June 2009, 21:14
best bet is to call.

Trollkid
17th June 2009, 22:17
+1 to giving him a call. I saw him yesterday as he is making some pants for the wife. Nice guy.

fi5hy
18th June 2009, 19:51
This man is fantastic I have worn his leathers and only his leathers for 20 years I have had 2 race suits one was cut from me at wangavagas and the other I still wear. I also have a two piece road set the jacket was the first thing I got 20 years ago and I am on to my second set of pants as the first ones sunk. His workmanship is second to none:rockon:Dusty

6ft5
19th June 2009, 19:08
Thanks guys, I did manage to email them without it bouncing but will make phone contact next week.