PDA

View Full Version : Hey all! (R Sole)

R-Soul
11th March 2010, 23:38
I have been posting quite a few (opnionated) messages on this site for the last few months, and have only just realised that there is a new member introduction forum.

Typical me- blab first, check later.

I am married, 38 years old with two (third on the way) kids.
I have moved here from Johannesburg three years ago. I used to ride a bit before on my ('very accomodating) mates bikes, but never bought my own bike - purely because I believed that any extended time in the saddle in Joburg was akin to a death wish. Now I know that ANY time in the saddle there is.

When I got here I was encouraged by the curteous and slow and safe drivers, and I have not looked back. I had my license from SA, so thankfully dont have to go through the learners rigmarole here. But to be safe I bought a Firestorm. Good handling, easy linear power delivery and no surprises, together with good torque to avoid having to go searching for gears too often.

I now commute to work every day, and have built up good time in the saddle. I am an engineer and fascinated in the theory and physics and the forces acting on a bike, and the technology behind bikes and engines- and I have been reading anything I can get my hands on.

I dont think my skills are too bad (hey who does? - but I err on the side of caution - on the road anyway) but I want to increase my ability, and learning the theory is one thing, but putting it into practice is another. I intend doing as many advanced and safety courses as I can (as soon as I can afford it).

If anyone has any good tips forriding- I will always be keen to hear them.

I am also a rugby lover, and always have time to discuss that too.

Oh, and I am not really an arsehole (although I can be a little stubborn and argumentative sometimes... OK... always).

Cheers
Mike

DIN PELENDA
12th March 2010, 00:29
Hi Mike thanks for info on new member forum, I'm yet to introduce my self one day. After 2 years & 5 months to late " Welcome ", my see you on road one day.

YellowDog
12th March 2010, 05:21
Hey Mike, nice introduction.

I spend a lot of time trying to convert riders from leaning the bike to turn : to turning the bike to lean. And it's just because they don't understand physics.

If physics is your thing: motorcyling is pure physics, so you're almost there already.

Natural human Instinct says turn left to go left - The laws of physics says turn left to go right.

Practice makes perfect and it sounds like you are getting lots of that.

Good luck.

crazyhorse
12th March 2010, 05:38
Amazing what you find, aye MIke.

Well, good on you. There is alot of good riding advice on here, you may need to do a search to find them, or just go back hundreds of pages and you will find informaiton. If you have any queries, just put up a new post, you will get lots of replies - some not what you want, but hey, thats what this is all about. Welcome to you as a old newbie. :)