PDA

View Full Version : Cordura lifespan?

tracyprier
12th March 2010, 20:21
Hi all

Heres a question:

How long does cordura last?

Obviously within context of bike jacket/pants

The reason I ask is that I have a pair of Spidi pants that I got back about 2002/3 that I have worn commuting and for general riding and am still using.

Does anyone know if after X amount of years the UV affects the fabric and starts to weaken it?

Thanks
Tracy

Motu
12th March 2010, 20:58
I've had my Spidi jacket for the same amount of time....that white lining stuff in the sleeves is starting to fall apart,but I'll be wearing it for a few more years yet.Some cheaper Armortech pants about a year newer,still in good nick.I ride on a lot of gravel roads and seldom wash my gear...they look more well used than they are.

Shadows
12th March 2010, 21:53
Mine lasted about 60 or so metres.

Laxi
13th March 2010, 00:58
Mine lasted about 60 or so metres.

:rofl: +10

Toaster
13th March 2010, 08:50
Keep em clean and scrub off the bugs regularly. The hard part I find is keeping the water out. I need to buy some good water repellent spray, left mine in Auckland.

Pixie
13th March 2010, 15:37
The outer garment will last indefinately.The first thing to fail will be the waterproof membrane as this is quite fragile and wear and tear will eventually cause it to get holed.
My first SPIDI,a Tour NT,jacket lasted 8 years before the membrane failed.My current SPIDI the membrane failed after 4 years.
The jackets are still ok,just not waterproof.
I'm looking to have a waterproof but non-breathable lining made to go between the outer jacket and the thermal lining.

DaveF
14th March 2010, 19:20
Don't take Cordura to the track, my jacket and pants are now poked after Taupo on Friday having only owned them for 2 weeks.

Will buy some replacements and only use on the road now I think :)

Urano
27th March 2010, 11:09
if you want to look at cordura, look at certified cordura at least.
dainese, spidi, spyke, mtech.... all suck, and cost much more than they give you.
if you're going to replace your gear or part of it, get informed and consider only certified gear as halvarssons.
or better go on leather. certified, as well....
:niceone: