PDA

View Full Version : CBR, YZF or Ninja?

KNCTRD
12th March 2010, 21:27
Am looking at getting one of the above, (600cc)

Obviously its personal preferance, and who has growen up with what, but I am interested in what KB members have to say, cause im lost!!

Am looking to buy new (or as close to)

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks guys

Hitcher
12th March 2010, 21:34
Buy a Triumph Daytona 675.

Winter
12th March 2010, 21:42
Triumph Daytona 675.

KNCTRD
12th March 2010, 21:53
Can i have some "whys??" please!!

=cJ=
12th March 2010, 21:59
I bought a GSX-R 600

Why?

Comfortable for me to ride, fairly low compared to CBR and Daytona if my memory serves me right.

Cheapest of the new 600 super sports, especially if you can get on a run out deal or similar.

Plenty of power like most new 600s... Can use the mode switch to pull the power back for those first few rides when you're straight off a 250.

Fits into the lower bracket for regos, I wouldn't bother with a 675, I'd get a thou or bigger.

Really though, at the time it was about 4K cheaper than any competitor, and Scottish genetics are pretty strong...

KNCTRD
12th March 2010, 22:04
Thanks cJ,

I forgot about the GSX-R.

will definatly add them to the list!!

rwh
12th March 2010, 22:08
If the ninja's a 636, that's a lot of extra ACC levy for 36cc ...

Richard

KNCTRD
12th March 2010, 22:20
If the ninja's a 636, that's a lot of extra ACC levy for 36cc ...

the new ninjas are 599cc, so jsut scrape in!!

Metastable
13th March 2010, 03:32
I haven't ridden any of the new crop of 600s.... but the previous generation I think I've ridden all of them, at the track. They're all good. I'd go, have a seat on them, see how you like the ergonomics. Try to sit with your feet on the pegs, because that can feel quite different than with the feet on the ground. Are things like storage space important to you? Check to see how much you get.... not a lot with the current 600s. Suzukis are probably the most comfortable ones, Kawis and Hondas crash better.... R6 is a bit more track focused than the rest and a real weapon at a trackday. Honestly, for the street I'd consider looking at the previous generation R6. Up here we can get it new as the R6S currently. That bike is very sweet, and is much more street friendly compared to any of the new crop of supersports..... and actually has a remotely useful truck. I just don't know if you guys have access to it. BTW, we can also get the old ZX-6R relabeled as the ZZR-600.

grusomhat
13th March 2010, 09:42
zzr-600 ftw. Gotta love the old styling of the zx6r. Nice round curves and a motor that will put a smile on your face. I haven't ridden any of the other 600's but pricewise R6's and CBR's I've notice are quite a bit more expensive. Go for the 750 gsx-r if you want a Suzuki otherwise well dah. Kawasaki! [/nonbiasopinion]

KNCTRD
13th March 2010, 09:53
Yea i am leaning towards the ZX6, the price is really attractive, and have had a great run outa the ZXR!! Which will be up for sale soon if anyones interested!!

OnCam
13th March 2010, 10:07
zx6r has taken out most of the 600cc tests for 2009, cant go wrong with value for money here..

or there are some brilliant buys around 10-12k for low km 08-09 bikes

or even run out 09 models at bike shops ive seen for 3k cheaper than retail.

Mudfart
13th March 2010, 19:34
boyds in hamiltron had a gsx-r 750 for the same price as a gsx-r600, on runout, dunno if its still there though.

=cJ=
14th March 2010, 19:43
boyds in hamiltron had a gsx-r 750 for the same price as a gsx-r600, on runout, dunno if its still there though.

Problem with these is you're slap bang into the next rego bracket. Having said that, they're ment to be one of the best "balanced" road/track bikes you can buy in terms of power for the road.

I keep telling myself I wouldn't like one, mainly to stop myself trading in the 600...

steelestring
15th March 2010, 08:12
zx6r has taken out most of the 600cc tests for 2009, cant go wrong with value for money here..

or there are some brilliant buys around 10-12k for low km 08-09 bikes

or even run out 09 models at bike shops ive seen for 3k cheaper than retail.

Right on there dude!!!
Near new zx6r is what ya want!! So much more bang for ya buck :]

'Bistard' Has an 08 with bugger all ks on it with a wee bit of fruit to add to the lime green flavour.... Should check it out.. is the cleanest bike I have ever seen (inside and out)

dipshit
15th March 2010, 13:23
A lot of magazine tests and so on say the K8 - K9 GSXR makes the nicest road package that is easier to live with on a day-to-day basis in the real world.

Reasonable midrange that makes the bike liveable on the road and a lower seat height that has you sitting in the bike rather than feeling like you are perched on top of it like some of the others.

But isn't it nice being spoilt for choice like we are in the 600 class! They are all fantastic bikes in their own ways. Just go for whatever turns you on the most.

:Punk:

Little Miss Trouble
15th March 2010, 14:14
Heres a novel idea - go test ride them all!

avgas
15th March 2010, 15:06
ER6n
I test rode one and it blew my mind. Such a good bike for such little money. I would get that or a GSR600.
Out of interest how fast do you ride? I found sub 150kph I have no need for more than 400 (IL4) or 650 (twin)

blackdog
15th March 2010, 15:12
ER6n
I test rode one and it blew my mind. Such a good bike for such little money. I would get that or a GSR600.
Out of interest how fast do you ride? I found sub 150kph I have no need for more than 400 (IL4) or 650 (twin)

you're on drugs

the guy(or gal for that matter) wants a 600 sprots bike (circa 120hp). note: these have 'fairings'

are you trying to sell an er6n(for naked) or gsr600 (both around 70hp)? er6 is a 650 too for reg purposes....

useful. real useful....i'm sure these are just the sort of bikes s/he's likely to consider...not

slydesigns
16th March 2010, 10:49
Daytona 675... buy mine...

Seriously though... 675 for its ridability in every situation, round town, in the hills and on the track... and its smashes CJ's GSXR time and again for speed cornering and acceleration and pulls bigger longer wheelies!

If your a mad hoon, R6, my girl just picked up a new on and shes pretty happy.

We both rode the CBR and hated it as being too vanilla and boring.

pritch
16th March 2010, 19:34
A lot of magazine tests and so on say the K8 - K9 GSXR

The mag I read says the CBR is the standout. (Again!)
The ZX is almost a CBR beater. Almost.
The GSXR is the best for touring.
They haven't mentioned the R6 in a while.

Ride them all and buy the one that comes in the colour you like...

KNCTRD
16th March 2010, 20:09
ER6n

Its not how fast you ride, its how fast you get to that speed!!

KNCTRD
16th March 2010, 20:15
you're on drugs

the guy(or gal for that matter) wants a 600 sprots bike (circa 120hp). note: these have 'fairings'

are you trying to sell an er6n(for naked) or gsr600 (both around 70hp)? er6 is a 650 too for reg purposes....

useful. real useful....i'm sure these are just the sort of bikes s/he's likely to consider...not

haha.. I have to agree!! I am about to start test riding!! do we have any favorite retailers out there??

=cJ=
20th March 2010, 18:53
Daytona 675... buy mine...

Seriously though... 675 for its ridability in every situation, round town, in the hills and on the track... and its smashes CJ's GSXR time and again for speed cornering and acceleration and pulls bigger longer wheelies!

If your a mad hoon, R6, my girl just picked up a new on and shes pretty happy.

We both rode the CBR and hated it as being too vanilla and boring.

I'd reccomend not listening to a man that just shaved years off his life expectancy... :D

Though he is right about the wheelies...

Maki
3rd April 2010, 15:30
If you like your thrills get the R6. It is weaker than the other 600s at low revs but a little stronger at the top end. It makes for an entertaining contrast, it goes ballistic when the revs mount. In all the reviews I read they also agree it is the best sounding, you should hear the scream at 14.000 rpm. The R6 actually came out on top in a big test of the 2009 600s (Trumpy 675 included) by a major Australian magazine. I have an R6 so of course I am biased but I do love it.

"If your a mad hoon, R6, my girl just picked up a new on and shes pretty happy." Your girl has good taste, sly, congrats.

Have a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN3Kj3xbjNU

This is a laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHRfsy6-IMg&feature=channel

slowpoke
3rd April 2010, 17:43
Buying new just doesn't make sense to me when you can buy the same model with lotsa fruit for the same or better price. Those 1000 run in km's are the most expensive and frustrating km's you'll ever ride.

SPP
3rd April 2010, 19:27
If it were my choice I'd go a second hand +09 GSXR750 or Daytona 675. A few low km mint bikes around and the 000's you save over new pays for a lot of bling and rego. Both as nimble as the 600s (in the case of the 675, more so) with more meat.

Phreak
4th April 2010, 03:00
Can anyone tell me what exactly is 'wrong' with the CBR600...? Or just why the other bikes outperform it in your opinions?

Phreak
4th April 2010, 03:02
Can anyone tell me what exactly is 'wrong' with the CBR600...? Or just why the other bikes outperform it in your opinions?

Jonno.
4th April 2010, 15:24
There's nothing "wrong" with any of them. Most of it comes down to personal preferance and riding style.

SPP
4th April 2010, 16:53

Yeah, all of the Japanese 600 super sports are as good as each other. Any shootout between them where there is a ‘clear winner’ is nit-picking IMO. The choice boils down to rider fit, looks, and character.

The +07 CBR 600RR is a ripper. Has great handling, smooth, and is really light. For perspective, a 600RR is 153kg dry/105 RWHP and your 250RR is 140kg dry/40 RWHP (or near enough).

Honda tries to dial out any surprises and some say it's boring because of it.

DMNTD
4th April 2010, 17:13
As mentioned ride them all and find out which one fits you best...they are ALL great bikes but excellent in different areas.
In saying that...what do you intend to do on your next bike? How tall are you?

If I was choosing a 600 for the road it would be either the ZX6 or Daytona 675.
For the track it would be either the 2009+ ZX6R or 2008+ R6

325rocket
4th April 2010, 19:21
all these bikes are bloody good.
i would be very surprised if anyone on this site could out ride any of these bikes even in standard form.
Kenan Sofuoglu (ten kate honda) took a standard cbr600rr out on track at the 2008 launch and was only a few seconds off the race pace from the year before. im sure all other manufactures could tell a similar story. the modern 600 range is full of incredible bikes. you can read all the reviews in the world and it will come down to "has no slipper clutch" / "does not have gear indicator" / "uncomfortable after a 300km trip"... petty stuff.
you just have to ride them all and see what fits.

Maki
4th April 2010, 20:14

In terms of performance there is nothing wrong with the CBR600. All these bikes perform well, are reliable and built to a good standard. In the end it just comes down to what bike appeals to you most emotionally. Itīs pointless for you to go around asking which 600 you should get because you are the only person who can answer that question.

Phreak
4th April 2010, 23:33
Fair enough... :-)

onearmedbandit
30th April 2010, 15:32
They are all extremely fast, with sharp handling and excellent brakes. They are all very reliable, and all of them will always have a decent resale value. What really seperates them to you are, ergonomics, styling, feel, what sort of deal you can cut, those sort of things. You'll only find this out by swinging a leg over them and going for a decent ride. Enjoy your decision making.

Mudfart
30th April 2010, 15:52
does anyone know if manufacturers have a rewards programme for faithful customers?
I bought my 250ninja brand new last year, and i think ill be quite happy to upgrade to a brand new zx6r, so is there any benefit to staying true to kwaka?
if not, WHY NOT?!.

SMOKEU
30th April 2010, 23:03
does anyone know if manufacturers have a rewards programme for faithful customers?
I bought my 250ninja brand new last year, and i think ill be quite happy to upgrade to a brand new zx6r, so is there any benefit to staying true to kwaka?
if not, WHY NOT?!.

Most of the dealers have the "take your money and run" attitude these days.

Mudfart
1st May 2010, 16:34
yeah it sucks, good will in business means nothing these days. there is simply too many people on the planet, and too many suckers.

DVS 69
3rd May 2010, 15:22
Of course im gunna say get a GSXR ........ Ive said it many times, I LOVE MY GIXXER.