PDA

View Full Version : Insurance question.

sil3nt
13th March 2010, 15:53
Moved outta home thought i better get insurance as i live in a bit of a dodgy area. Emailed NAC for a quote but they didnt respond so i just rang kiwibike yesterday and got full cover through them.

$390 ish with $1250 excess.

Then just now NAC have emailed me their quote of less than $200 and excess of $600 :shit:

So obviously i now want to change to NAC. What happenes to the $400 i just paid kiwibike? Do i get refunded?

steve_t
13th March 2010, 15:59
Moved outta home thought i better get insurance as i live in a bit of a dodgy area. Emailed NAC for a quote but they didnt respond so i just rang kiwibike yesterday and got full cover through them.

$390 ish with $1250 excess.

Then just now NAC have emailed me their quote of less than $200 and excess of $600 :shit:

So obviously i now want to change to NAC. What happenes to the $400 i just paid kiwibike? Do i get refunded?

Yes, normally insurance companies will pro-rate any refunds. Maybe ring Kiwibike and ask if they can match?

sil3nt
13th March 2010, 16:11
Yes, normally insurance companies will pro-rate any refunds. Maybe ring Kiwibike and ask if they can match?Thanks for the reply :)

Will give them a ring tomorrow if they are open or Monday. Surprised it took NAC a week to get a quote. Suppose not as bad as holeshot motorcycles who didnt even bother replying to an email enquiry about one of their bikes!

sil3nt
24th March 2010, 15:54
Ok so i went with NAC. Also rang up John Baker insurance (on monday) and they said they would give me a quote on tuesday but haven't heard from them! Rang up kiwibike and cancelled the insurance on monday as well. Just rang them today too see if it had been cancelled and what the refund deal is. Was told there would be a refund and then she asked me who i changed too and why. Told her who and how much cheaper they were and she suddenly wasn't too chatty :lol: Silly thing is kiwibike lists NAC as one of the companies they deal with yet it appears they didn't even ask them. In fact i was given a quote over the phone straight away which tells me they already had the company they wanted to use in mind (protecta). At least John Baker said they would ring around (even if they haven't got back to me!).

bogan
24th March 2010, 16:06
I get mine through swann, under 200 for a 3k bike 650cc, cant member the excess but it wasn't too massive. They only do classic bikes though, which is over 20 years old.

Smifffy
24th March 2010, 16:10
Just hope the delays in replying with quotes aren't symptomatic of delays in their whole system - esp when it comes time to assess & pay up.

Hiflyer
25th March 2010, 17:19
I get mine through swann, under 200 for a 3k bike 650cc, cant member the excess but it wasn't too massive. They only do classic bikes though, which is over 20 years old.

Not correct, if you go through one of their brokers they'll prettymuch insure anything, like my old bike haha

arj127
28th March 2010, 07:28
Does anyone know if any of these insurance supplier companies can provide a part yearly contract to cover say only 6 months of the year? perhaps from October to March

grusomhat
28th March 2010, 07:45
Does anyone know if any of these insurance supplier companies can provide a part yearly contract to cover say only 6 months of the year? perhaps from October to March

Likely not, but you can cancel and you'll get a refund of your premiums that you haven't used.

Owl
28th March 2010, 08:17

Apparently quite common, so yes. You can get part yearly cover and also storage cover for the rest of the year if you like.

sil3nt
28th March 2010, 08:46
Kiwibike gave me a full refund. Was with them for less than a week but i expected to have to pay something. John Baker never called back!

One of the insurance companies has insurance for tourists for a minimum of 3 months. So you should be able to choose how long.

arj127
28th March 2010, 09:07
Cheers guys, i'm going to check it out. Sorry to have butted into your thread sil3ntwar, glad you found a better option

Owl
28th March 2010, 10:16
Kiwibike gave me a full refund. Was with them for less than a week but i expected to have to pay something.

"Free look" should be written into the policy, which will give you 14-30 days to cancel back to the date of inception. You're entitled to review the policy wording before committing, hence why they take so long sending out the documentation. You then miss the free look!:msn-wink:

Mustek
28th March 2010, 11:02
Hey, whats NAC???

Owl
28th March 2010, 11:07
Hey, whats NAC???

National Auto Club = Insurance

National Airways Corporation = If you like planes and remember back that far:laugh:

ynot slow
28th March 2010, 12:22
Sometimes going through a broker is good,others not so,my dealings with at the time a 20yr bike via a broker was policy 1)$250 pa,or if the bike was too old the next policy was $375,turned out I was ok with first policy holder.
Next upgrade,rang to stop policy on old bike from Monday next,and start new policy that day(Friday),all good on the phone and premium given with same excess etc,all good I thought,then no policy in mail,another phone call and sorted out temperery cover till policy arrives,2 weeks later was told can't find it from insurance company,but as close to xmas the broker got onto it to confirm I was covered,and sent me email advising I was covered.
Last year wasn't able to ride for 2-3 months so wrote to company to stop my policy,didn't pay the premiums,so when time came to ride again my policy had been cancelled due to 3 months of premiums unpaid,no problem the lady said, "I can do it now",so had exchange of details and low and behold my premium is nearly half what it had been via broker for same cover,same insurance company.