PDA

View Full Version : Rossi “To switch to F1 in 2007” says team boss

Bob
14th May 2005, 00:23
MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi plans to race in Formula One from 2007, according to his Yamaha team boss Davide Brivio. Rossi's current Yamaha deal runs out at the end of the season but the Italian has agreed on a one-year extension.

"We have already agreed on a one-year contract and we know that from 2007 he will be in Formula One," said Brivio.

Rossi said he would consider switching to a car but did not indicate whether it would be Formula One or another format "From the end of 2006 I will be free and if I have offers to race in a car I will weigh them up," said the Italian. "When I was a kid I started out in cart racing and then, luckily, I discovered motorcycling but my passion for the car has remained. I've tried rallying and I like driving the powerful WRC (World Rally Championship) cars."

Biff
14th May 2005, 00:43
Has there ever been a WSB or MOTO GP rider that's ever driven in F1/NASCAR or similar?

It'd be interesting to see how, if he does, fare in an F1 car. In my mind they're too totally different sports (do I get a gold star for stating the obvious?), both demanding different techniques and skill sets.

If he makes the move, and is successful, then the guy would really be a legend. But I can't see it.

Bob
14th May 2005, 01:15
Has there ever been a WSB or MOTO GP rider that's ever driven in F1/NASCAR or similar?

It'd be interesting to see how, if he does, fare in an F1 car. In my mind they're too totally different sports (do I get a gold star for stating the obvious?), both demanding different techniques and skill sets.

If he makes the move, and is successful, then the guy would really be a legend. But I can't see it.

Mike Hailwood. OK, we're talking a good few years ago now, but the guy did do both... with mixed results, admittedly.

http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/drv-haimik.html

Biff
14th May 2005, 01:27
Thanks Bob.
I remember reading about this guy some time ago, but hadn't realised he'd raced in F1. A genuine biking legend. Tragic story though.

ricksta
14th May 2005, 07:06
Rossi, racing in F1? i dont think any of the F1 teams would risk choosing him as one of their drivers....

well maybe the minardi.

justsomeguy
14th May 2005, 07:16
Rossi, racing in F1? i dont think any of the F1 teams would risk choosing him as one of their drivers....

well maybe the minardi.

Well the fact that he is "Rossi" may earn him (or perhaps he can personally finance) a test drive.

And he'll have to do pretty well to even be considered.

Tell me what does he earn at the moment??? Just for a comparo

Shoe-maker get about US$52m+endorsements+ad money+investments

By the way one of Shoe-maker's favourite passtimes is a harley in the US of A.

TonyB
14th May 2005, 07:22
John Surtees. He is the only man to have won world championships on 2 wheels and 4. He was 500cc (or whatever it was at the time) world champ. Then he switched to F1 and won that too.

his exploits on motorcycles passed into legend and he took MV Agusta to countless victories and the World Championships in 1956 (500cc class), 1958, '59 and '60 (350 and 500). In that final year he also began the car racing career that would take him to the unique double by the age of 30.
I believe Rossi tested with Ferrari last year.

SPORK
14th May 2005, 11:21
Awwww.... But I suppose this will give other riders a chance now?

John
14th May 2005, 11:29
Hasn't he already test driven (I heard a ferrari) or other?

Its still not definate though, I still think a successful motogp rider will be more worth while in italy than a washed up F1 driver?...

DrHook
14th May 2005, 11:54
He has test driven a ferrari last year.

However Brivio, Gauloises Yamaha team director is now clarifying his comments. He didn't actually say that Rossi WILL be going to F1.

http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=6&nid=110725

Ghost Lemur
14th May 2005, 13:45
If he does go to F1 it better be to Ferrari.

He's already said he'll see his motoGP career out with Yamaha.

Personally one thing I'd like to see him do before he gives up two wheels is the IOMTT. That would rock.

Coyote
14th May 2005, 15:01
The best driver/rider isn't necessarily the fastest, in the eyes of some teams. Most teams will go for someone with an image or who is good at endorsing products i.e. the tyres they're using, the bikes brand, etc.

Rossi doesn't have to be a good F1 driver, but I team will pick him up soon enough

TwoSeven
14th May 2005, 16:38
MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi plans to race in Formula One from 2007, according to his Yamaha team boss Davide Brivio. Rossi's current Yamaha deal runs out at the end of the season but the Italian has agreed on a one-year extension.

That would be good if he did.

ALthough on the satalite news this morning they semed to imply that it wasnt settled yet.

Coldkiwi
14th May 2005, 16:57
However Brivio, Gauloises Yamaha team director is now clarifying his comments. He didn't actually say that Rossi WILL be going to F1.

http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=6&nid=110725

yes, it would seem rather odd for one race team manager to say about the series most successful racer and team player 'oh yeah, we're quite happy for our money printing machine to leave- in fact we'll help him!'

Marco
15th May 2005, 22:03
Would be good for Formula1, bad for MotoGP,

Valentino skyrocketed the popularity of MotoGP, what will happen if he leaves?. Maybe the price of MotoGP coverage will drop and we'll get it back on sky again.

Motu
16th May 2005, 08:10
Yes,it was John Surtees who is the only person to have won World Championships in both car and bikes - and he did much more as well,he was a big name in CanAm and other sports car racing,also racing cars under his own name and construction.I doubt if a modern era rider or driver could ever achieve what Surtees has done in his life.He was in NZ last year for the Classic Festival I think - he's still racing.

The problem for Rossi in F1 is it's a big ask to step straight into an F1 car and go fast,it'll take him years to get up to speed.Rossi came up the ranks in GP bikes...125,then 250 - but you didn't know who he was did you? There is a similar system in F1,it's the top rung.He'll have to go from being an idol to millions to a nobody - I'm sure he won't mind,he wants to race,he doesn't really care what it is he'll do it - but will his fans like seeing him come last every race???

Suney
18th May 2005, 15:43
Who cares if Rossi wins the championship or not in F1. Imagine all the money sponsors would be rolling in.
At least he will do better than Narain Karthikeyan the guy who paid for a seat!

NordieBoy
18th May 2005, 16:00
Who cares if Rossi wins the championship or not in F1. Imagine all the money sponsors would be rolling in.
At least he will do better than Narain Karthikeyan the guy who paid for a seat!

Newcomers all pay for a seat don't they?
Not enough cash/sponsership and you don't get a look in.

250learna
18th May 2005, 16:51
you have to get on the circuits to get to formula one, if you are doing well and winning constantly than you may be considered, that guy comming last in F1 is the guy who has never lost a race before than :yes:
its and extreme end of sport as im sure we all know,
also the sad truth is that the car, and tyres (god damn these new rules) play more part in the outcome of the event than the driver. :(

can i just say i hate Räikkönen :mad: that attitude realy gets to me, cant he just say I won im glad, not it was so easy i didnt stress the car?!?!
or i tried but came second, not the otehr drivers were holding me back
GRRRRRRRRR

gav
28th May 2005, 08:55
Latest Aussie MC News quotes Rossi about MotoGP "I will never stop. I will be here for another 10 years!"

campbellluke
28th May 2005, 14:06
can i just say i hate Räikkönen :mad: that attitude realy gets to me, cant he just say I won im glad, not it was so easy i didnt stress the car?!?!
or i tried but came second, not the otehr drivers were holding me back
GRRRRRRRRR

It seems that I am the only one who likes it when people speak the truth.

I think Raikkonen said that at the end of Catalunya. Him saying that was completely justified. It was a really easy race for him. He had the best car there.

I don't think that it's a bad attitude. He wasn't mocking anyone or being arrogant. Just speaking about how things were. How can you not appreciate someone who does that? - I am a Raikkonen fan. Maybe I am biased.

Or are you just pissed that the Italian engines are being put in their place this year?

Edit: I messed up the quote at the top.

Motu
28th May 2005, 15:51
Kimi's Ok,he's just not a corperate mouthpiece....he doesn't say much,and what he does you can't make head nor tail of,who cares? I miss Coultard and Mika at McLaren,both wity guys.

Kimi is probably the fastest driver in F1 at the moment - in equal cars I think he'd beat Schumacher...so he has the car now,but Schumacher hasn't,frustrating,but that's the way it goes these days.

sAsLEX
28th May 2005, 16:15
Kimi is probably the fastest driver in F1 at the moment - in equal cars I think he'd beat Schumacher...so he has the car now,but Schumacher hasn't,frustrating,but that's the way it goes these days.

It seems to have moved away from the better driver and car, to who has the better tires! Sure you can drive carefully to keep them in good condition for the race, but then we could watch Granmaś go round the track doing that as well.

In the old days of slightly less boring F1 you could start light on scrubbed tires and set a fast sessions duck in to the pits and stuff, now its too boring to warrent staying up till 0001 to watch, GP on the other hand, and the 125s are fun to watch with battle s

Ixion
28th May 2005, 16:19
Yes,it was John Surtees who is the only person to have won World Championships in both car and bikes - and he did much more as well,he was a big name in CanAm and other sports car racing,also racing cars under his own name and construction.I doubt if a modern era rider or driver could ever achieve what Surtees has done in his life.He was in NZ last year for the Classic Festival I think - he's still racing.

Well, Nuvolari, the greatest of them all, predated World Championships, but many forget that he was a successful motorcycle racer before he took up car racing.