PDA

View Full Version : My TT2000... well, TT1350.

zahria
18th March 2010, 17:23
I was packed and rearing to go on Thursday night, but had to take the kids to school on friday morning. Once that necessary task was out of the way, my TT was on!
I caught the 2pm ferry, was a nice ride to the sounds. Had a chat to a couple who had toured the Nth Island on a Tiger. He reckoned that I would like the Takaka Hill, How right he was.
I was standing outside when the weather bomb hit, was Blue skies most of the way, then the sky turned Black, the wind picked up, and it rained. Looked like tornadoes whistled past as welll, I was very glad to not be riding through that. My brother and Uncle had caught the earlier ferry, and had a hell of a trip through to Kaikoura.
Disembarked at Picton, and it was a little windy, but the worst of the weather had past. Uneventful trip to Christchurch, got in a 10pm. Met with a bourbon, a chat, and headed to bed.

Saturday morning, up at 5-30, showered and dressed. Headed to the Honda dealer to get our start ticket. Was very keyed up.
Very quiet trip to Kaikoura for the first check point, Filled the VTR for the first time.
I was very cold. Must get some heated hand grips at some stage.
We were joined by a rider from Nelson on a Kawasaki 650 at Kaikoura. We left there as a group of four, and headed to Hamner springs.
Really nice roads, very scenic. Was a good squirt through, and all was good. Another top up at Hamner, then off to the next check point.
Enjoyed the Lewis Pass, was a great ride. The weather was nice and all was going well.
Had lunch at Murchison, a welcome break. On reflection we spent too long there. Next time will be a quick pie and drink.
Uneventful to Picton, another fuel stop for the Honda.
Queen Charlette (sp) was bloody awful. I came close to lowsiding the bike, due to unswept gravel on the apex of a corner. Tiptoed through and made it to Nelson.
Then to Motueka, and the Nest stop, Takaka.

The Takaka Hill is Awesome!!

Got my groove back on this road, just loved it. Mint corners, and not much traffic.
Had to laugh at the rental Mira who decided he was Michael Schumaker. Hub cub flew off, and he cooked his brakes big time. Very comical sight to see.

Check point at Takaka, so we had an ice cream and headed back to Nelson.

Pauls bike (Apprilia Futura) blew low beam lamp on the road back to Nelson. The guys at the Honda shop were brilliant, and he had low beam back at around 9-30. We headed to our digs at the Tuhuna Beach Motorcamp. Once Deleathered, We headed into town for Pizza and Beer at teh Hot Shots Cafe. Grouse food, Really liked that place.

Sunday Morning. If I'd known what the day entailed, I would have stayed in bed.

Start point ticket obtained, quick ride to Motueka, then off to Westport.
Mint ride through the Buller Gorge. Nice road.
Got to Westport, filled the VTR (again) and then had a look at my rear tire. It was shagged. The wire was showing.
My TT was over at that point. Was gutted.
Then Paul looked at hiis tire, not as bad as mine, but he was out as well.
As was our companion from Nelson.

So, over a latte in the local cafe, I rang the AA to see if they had any ideas. There were no bike shops in Westport.
The AA guy came out, Knew a local biker who had a 900SS, same back tire as mine.
A deal was struck, and I was mobile at Lunch time. Mint!

Our initial plan was to ride to Nelson, so Paul could get a new tire for his bike.
So we set off.

Half way through the gorge, I told Paul that I would stop and take off some of my gear, as it was pretty warm. I told him to carry on, and I'd catch up.

However, I left the road after the Inangahua Bridge.
I made it over the bridge, around the left hand corner, but misread the road and was going to fast to make it round the right hander.
I went down the 5foot drop, through the fence, and landed in a paddock.
Checked me, all worked once I got my bike off my leg.
Checked my bike, and it initially looked like I'd wrecked it.

I was amazed at how many people drove past rubber necking while I was under my bike. Cheers guys. Especially the 3 cop cars and Paddy wagon.

However, a couple of motorcross guys in a campervan, and another car stopped, and gave me a hand to get the bike back up on the road. That was Much appreciated, thanks guys.
I was amazed how I got off so lightly. 1 broken mirror. 1 broken indicator. and the stupid cover over the Oil filter was ripped off.
It took a few mins to get running as it was flooded, but I was away to Murchison.

Caught up to the guys at the pub, and filled them in on what happened to me.
Coffee was ordered. We then turned around to see Pauls Apprilia pissing out Petrol.
We wheeled it around the corner, where He checked it out while I built a dam out of the pot plants to stop the petrol going down the drain.
It turned out that his fuel line had completely split. Bugger.
The publican came out to see what we were doing, turns out that they ride. They took Paul around to a Local, who restores old bikes. He evetually came back with a fuel line, hose clamps, and the tools to repair the fault. We had just put his bike back together when the unfamiliar ringtinting of a 250 2stroker pullrd up, and Pauls saviour came up to check his work.

The guy is a legend. I can't remeber his name, but we had a beer, and he kept us entertained for ages. Bloody funny, and we bid farewell from the Publicans and hit the road.

Our new plan was to head to Picton, and try and get a night ferry, and get his tire replaced in Welly.

On the road south of Blenheim, I noticeed that his tire looked flat. Gave Paul the news, and we carried on.
He got slower... and slower... and about 20kms south of Blenheim, he stopped. Flat as a pancake.
We called the AA, his bike was eventually loaded on teh truck at 8pm, and I followed him to the lockup. His bike was safe for the night. Luckily, Paul is in the Airforce, and we managed to stay at Woodborne for the night. Over dinner and a couple of beers, we just shook our heads. What a hell of a day.

Next morning, we headed to town, and the Suzuki shop replaced his tire.

Caught up With Neville in Picton. He completed the TT, and got the Tshirt. Looks good too, and I want one.

Lessons learnt.

1: New tire is a must before heading down south. The roads are increbibly abrasive.

2: Plan the day, regular stops, but not long stops.

3: Dont fall off.

I had a ball on the TT2000, it was a really well run event.

Got home to the news of the fatal accident. Was upsetting that a fellow biker was killed during an event I'd enjoyed so much.

We will be back next year.

Link to photo's: http://s692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/mammothjack/TT2000%202010/?start=0

Monie
18th March 2010, 17:54
well shit what a day . i did the ride with a few others and we had no mishaps. better luck next year... lol

98tls
18th March 2010, 18:45
Great read indeed,glad your little off turned out better than expected.

Genie
18th March 2010, 18:53
good to read you made it home, sounds like that was a day to say in bed. Sorry you had that spill but glad you ok. Was sad to read about the crash out Belgrove way. I was out that afternoon, police cars came flying past me and when I went past the accident site it fair gave me the williy's.

You are so right about the Takaka hill, I did it for the first time on Tuesday and WOW!
It's delicious and I think I'm going to be hungry for some of that tomorrow.

Okey Dokey
18th March 2010, 19:16
Wow, what an adventure! Thanks for sharing your epic ride with us. Sorry it didn't go quite according to plan. :)

shafty
18th March 2010, 19:17
Zahria, what a preek of a day you had ya poor Bugger - and I am also pleased things worked out better than they could have - ie no broken leg etc

Cheers for the write up!

Meanie
18th March 2010, 20:35
Holy crap, what a lot of bad luck. Sounds like you got off lightly with your wee accident
It was an excelent adventure wasnt it, Monie and i had an awesome time and will surely be back for the next one as long as it doesnt coincide with the Southern cross
Sounds like some realy good lessons Lol, we all need them from time to time
We saw you guys on the other side of the road in Westport and learnt that you were having tyre issues

banditrider
20th March 2010, 08:10
That really sucks Mike! Glad you and bike are not too badly off.

The ride rocked big time!

zahria
20th March 2010, 19:08
I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, and looking back, the setbacks made it into an epic weekend that I'll never forget.

I priced a Mirror though... $270. Ouch.

JATZ
20th March 2010, 19:20
Chris Walters is the guy in Murch, has a nice colection of restored bikes, and is a hell of a nice guy 'parently. Thats a pricey mirror :gob:

zahria
20th March 2010, 22:14
Chris Walters is the guy in Murch, has a nice colection of restored bikes, and is a hell of a nice guy 'parently. Thats a pricey mirror :gob:

He is a top bloke and a legend. Bloody funny too!!