PDA

View Full Version : Westpac ride last Sunday

Maha
19th March 2010, 11:18
Who here attended that abortion?
The ride into the city and over the bridge was the worst I have ever experienced.
It was made clear to all riders before we left, that once on the mortorway, use and stay in the fast lane!
So what did everyone do? use both lanes. Which made the bike cops race ahead and 'herd' those in the 'slow lane' into the fast lane. Which had the effect of a massive merge and evryone in the fast lane on the picks.
Most of the way into the city was anywhere form 30kph to 110-120kph?
At times breaking hard from 120 down to 30-40 every couple of K's or so.
And dont get me started on crossing the bridge!!!

I support the charity 110% but I wont be attending anymore.
580 bikes the said. God knows what it will be like if it ever gets back to 1100-1500 bikes.

duckonin
19th March 2010, 11:22
That bad huh? last year was almost the same then, People just do not listern...

Indiana_Jones
19th March 2010, 11:22
Agreed, the ride was all over the show aye.

Only done it 3 times myself, so can't say if it's been worse then that, but it's the worst by far I've been on.

Granted the cops did have to manage the round the bays aswell, but they could of at least closed the fucking Onewa on-ramp for when we went past, had 2 cars driving down it and ramming their way through the convoy....

-Indy

Swoop
19th March 2010, 11:25
I missed it this year.
Luckily, it seems.

Yay for cattle breaking through fences and wrecking shit on Sat night...:ar15:

Maha
19th March 2010, 11:27
Yes indy, I noticed a few moments like that as well, there was even a 6mts bus in the fast lane just after the begining, I guess the bikes caught it up and then surrounded it, it couldnt get out. A bike cop made it happen though.
It was a fucken shambles on the whole, cops can only do so much I guess, nothing against them.
From a riders point of view, it wasnt all that enjoyable.

SpankMe
19th March 2010, 11:49
Bugger, completely forgot about it. Not that it's much of a ride now that they stopped blocking the on-ramps and have dropped the Queen St leg.

Only 580 bikes :( Didn't miss much then. Not surprised. The best part of the ride was seeing the cage traffic blocked on the on-ramps and having the motorway to ourselves.

They're gonna have to rethink that ride if they want the big numbers again.

MSTRS
19th March 2010, 11:52

I'm thinking that the raping by ACC has got a lot of bikers feeling much less charitable...

paturoa
19th March 2010, 11:57
I was towards the back and it was better back there, though we did have the slinky effect as well but doesn't sound as bad. It was generally well behaved and all kept in the right lane up to the bridge.

Not sure why we swapped to the left lane before the bridge, should have kept in the right lane till past the bridge.

Big Dave
19th March 2010, 12:16
The cop in charge of the motorways changed a while ago and the new one is not in favour of closing it for anything but an emergency.

>>but I wont be attending anymore.<<

as his prime directive would be to maximise safety and inconvenience - mission accomplished.

No shades of grey for those lads.

Big Dave
19th March 2010, 12:22
I'm thinking that the raping by ACC has got a lot of bikers feeling much less charitable...

I don't think it has much to do with it. It's the mobile traffic jam. After the first few times the attraction wears off.

I was in Napier - reminds to make a donation at the local branch.

Ixion
19th March 2010, 12:35
try doing it on a bike with laughable brakes, no indicators, no stop light, a sidecar clutch and a high first gear! (It was built like that, yes it does have a WoF). The merge into the lane full of cars on the bridge was fun, NOT. Overall, I didn't really enjoy it. If I go next year , I'll take a chookchaser. I suspect the low turn out was the conflict with round the bays.

Mully
19th March 2010, 13:11
I forgot all about it.

Just as well, by the looks of it.

Big Dave
19th March 2010, 13:24
try doing it on a bike with laughable brakes, no indicators, no stop light, a sidecar clutch and a high first gear! (It was built like that, yes it does have a WoF).

And he lectures me for doing wheelies on a VFR1200. Ei eie ie! :-P

gilly
19th March 2010, 14:59
Come on it wasn't that bad.
Sure changing lanes at the bridge was not pretty, but no hassle really.
My only complaint was getting stuck behind a little blue bike that smoked all the way - got a headache from the fumes.

Toot Toot
19th March 2010, 15:15
Does no one else see the irony in the fact that the helicopter spends multiple times the amount of money raised at this event to attend it? To power the machine up, fly it to Akoranga or wherever you guys ended up, power down, then the opposite to return to base. I just dont see the logic in the helicopter attending the rally. You guys maybe covered a part of the fuel required. The reason I dont bother attending or contributing, until they stop bringin the chopper anyway

Maha
19th March 2010, 16:04
Does no one else see the irony in the fact that the helicopter spends multiple times the amount of money raised at this event to attend it? To power the machine up, fly it to Akoranga or wherever you guys ended up, power down, then the opposite to return to base. I just dont see the logic in the helicopter attending the rally. You guys maybe covered a part of the fuel required. The reason I dont bother attending or contributing, until they stop bringin the chopper anyway

The chopper turned up, landed, then lucky number prize draw thing got underway, when that was finished, everyone returned to thier bikes. Dont believe there was to much interest in the chopper itself, unlike other years when it used to get crowds around it.
This years money went towards a four wheeled vehicle, not the chopper.

Toaster
19th March 2010, 16:11
Bugger, completely forgot about it. Not that it's much of a ride now that they stopped blocking the on-ramps and have dropped the Queen St leg.

Only 580 bikes :( Didn't miss much then. Not surprised. The best part of the ride was seeing the cage traffic blocked on the on-ramps and having the motorway to ourselves.

Agreed. So sad to hear it has dwindled as an event to comparatively low numbers.

Yes it is nice to have an enjoyable outing but the big loser here is the charity, the rescue helicopter which needs our support and for the powers that be to allow a format that encourages a maximum turnout from the riders and their wallets.

MSTRS
19th March 2010, 16:14
... the powers that be to allow a format that encourages a maximum turnout from the riders and their wallets.

Sadly, I fear TPTB have other intentions as regards 'our' wallets...

Big Dave
19th March 2010, 16:14
You aren't going to return to the closed motorway situation while the current regime is in place, according to BRONZ organiser, Lars, anyway.

Perhaps turning it into an event that people ride to - rather than a ride is the answer - dunno.

Toaster
19th March 2010, 16:17
This years money went towards a four wheeled vehicle, not the chopper.

I would gladly support the event with or without the chopper there. More than happy to see them save the fuel etc for when it is really needed.

The council/transit/police etc should allow the better ride route and marshalling formats of the past for the sake of this event firstly, continuing and secondly, improving turnout.

SpankMe
19th March 2010, 16:17
Wet t-shirt contests at the end. :)

Maha
19th March 2010, 16:21
Perhaps turning it into an event that people ride to - rather than a ride is the answer - dunno.

Wet t-shirt contests at the end. :)

TWO VERY GOOD IDEAS!!!!!
And I would stick my chest forward for the WTC ......:shifty:

Toaster
19th March 2010, 16:22
You aren't going to return to the closed motorway situation while the current regime is in place, according to BRONZ organiser, Lars, anyway.

I was pondering that very point Dave as I typed my last post. Whatever format it takes it needs to draw people out in major numbers. Personally, being part of a huge ride group was the thrill of it. The donation important, but the end event of no real consequence unless they turn it into a big boys toys version for bikers. Now that would add some spice to it if the various dealers and bike related industries got into it with the appropriate eye candy, food and beverages.

Ixion
19th March 2010, 16:26

Personally, I reckon working with the police isn't contributing .

The earlier start won't have helped attendence, and that's totally down to the police.

And I think the 'shepherd everyone into one lane' is actually worse than nothing at all. That stupid stop-start-speedup-stop-start-slowdown thing was damn dangerous.

I'd be up for telling the cops, 'Thank,s but no thanks, we'll do our own thing', and just ride out.

Sorry, but a 'assemble at' instead of 'ride to' would completely kill it. Bikers want to ride. It's what we do. Why is anyone going to make their own way to Akarana, and stand in the middle of a car park for half an hour? The ride's the thing that draws bikers.

Maha
19th March 2010, 16:27
I would gladly support the event with or without the chopper there. More than happy to see them save the fuel etc for when it is really needed.
The council/transit/police etc should allow the better ride route and marshalling formats of the past for the sake of this event firstly, continuing and secondly, improving turnout.

They changed the format to an earlier start becuase of a lone voice of dissapproval about the onramp closeures during the event.

Late last year, a few of us heading a group of around 350 bikes around the Auckland Motorway system for 2 hours without to much problem.
It can be done.

Toaster
19th March 2010, 16:35
Maha I agree. Too much of a case of letting a tiny tail wagging a big dog.

I had hoped to attend from Wellington but had to stay here for a course. Didn't know it was earlier either. If they plan for and only alow a watered down event, the result will obviously be watered down attendance and a smaller donation as a group to the charity.

I agree with Spank, you and Dave, bring on the entertainment, sponsored of course. Get a sponsor to pay for the chopper costs to get there and back if needed and bring over the V8 grid girls for a bit of dancing during the music. Make the event a real draw card itself. We can easily organise a southern and north ride in for two large groups and make them enjoyable rides in themselves depending on a good start point and route. Police or no police.

Toaster
19th March 2010, 16:52
Personally, I reckon working with the police isn't contributing .

The earlier start won't have helped attendence, and that's totally down to the police.

And I think the 'shepherd everyone into one lane' is actually worse than nothing at all. That stupid stop-start-speedup-stop-start-slowdown thing was damn dangerous.

I'd be up for telling the cops, 'Thank,s but no thanks, we'll do our own thing', and just ride out.

Sorry, but a 'assemble at' instead of 'ride to' would completely kill it. Bikers want to ride. It's what we do. Why is anyone going to make their own way to Akarana, and stand in the middle of a car park for half an hour? The ride's the thing that draws bikers.

Well said Ixion. Totally agree. I made a comment earlier that a well organised enjoyable ride from north and south could be an alternative. Organised by bikers for bikers.

Why not a north ride taking in SH16/17 and the south group use a simillar equivalent popular route?