PDA

View Full Version : What type of tank protector do people use? if any

Tryhard
19th March 2010, 21:16
I'm starting to scuff up my tank on the sides- from my knees.

The bike isnt a keeper but I would like to keep it in good condition if I can.

So what options are there

p.dath
20th March 2010, 08:54
Have you thought about getting some grip pads?

They let your knees grip much easier, and will a barrier between your knees and the tank.

Tryhard
20th March 2010, 21:24
Have you thought about getting some grip pads?

They let your knees grip much easier, and will a barrier between your knees and the tank.

I had thought about that but the wear is appearing on a bend in the tank either side if that makes sense. Not sure if knee pads will stick on the "bend"

Metastable
21st March 2010, 07:43
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film

You can bend this around corners, but it isn't easy. To apply it you do it the same way you would tint windows. 3 drops of liquid soap in water, a spray bottle + Squeegee (don't use window cleaner!). You should be able to find something like this at an aftermarket automotive shop. Try to get the UV resistant ones, otherwise the clearness goes a bit yellow over time. I have used it on a 2002 ZX6R and a 2003 SV1000S around some of the tank corners.

Edit - well if your bike is yellow, the UV bit might not matter. :D

Genie
21st March 2010, 07:47
I got some plastic stuff put on my tank as I didn't like the marking either, liked the plastic even less so removed. Taken to polishing my bike every week, way better idea and I dont 'sit quite so forward as It was my thighs leaving the mark. How's the riding going?

rie
21st March 2010, 15:50
give it a polish to buff the existing scratches out. then get the plastic 3M or scuffproof stuff on it. it's not pretty, but when it comes to sell, take it off and tank's like new. plus it's pretty cheap. scuff proof is like $30 i think.

pritch
21st March 2010, 16:35
There are several products. I have taken my last three bikes to the local sign shop. Tell them what you want and they'll do it.
Your local sign shop should be able to do it too. (I did try to do it myself once but...)

The 3M stuff comes in different thicknesses. The thinner stuff is hard to see so shouldn't appear ugly.

I'm sure it was less than $200, maybe about $175 last time, but that's a lot cheaper than painting the tank.

There's another product as well, and a computer application that provides patterns to almost cover many bikes. That'd be rather a lot more expensive I'm guessing, the only bike I've seen with it was a BMW.