PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely different... the Honda DN-01.

pritch
20th March 2010, 11:49
Some thirty years ago I read a road test of the then newly released Yamaha RD250LC. The tester had jumped on the bike and ridden it right across Western Europe and back. His summary was to the effect that the bike was uncomfortable and had a poor tank range. Eh? What did he expect from a 250cc two stroke twin sportstbike? The design brief for the RD was probably more along the lines of it being one of the fastest things on two wheels between one set of traffic lights and the next.

It is still possible to find inappropriate road tests or comparisons but, for me, that one took the cake. And no, I didn't buy that magazine again.

So considering that a test ride should be appropriate to the bike, the question arises as to how one should ride the Honda DN-01. Apparently known as “Dino” to its friends.

Honda are less than specific as to the bike's intended purpose, and looking at it one does wonder, but that riding position shouts cruiser even if the styling of the bike doesn't. The brochure mentions the word “tourer”, but Honda don't offer luggage for this model. Givi, however, do list hard luggage for the DN-01.

The engine is familiar being the V twin that originated in the NT650 Bros, and in the current 680 guise also powers the Transalp and the Deauville. At idle it's apparent that there's a V twin down there, generally though the exhaust is muted and the engine is smooth enough so that the configuration isn't obvious.

The transmission is probably easier to operate than to describe. On the right hand grip there is a “trigger” similar to that on the left grip for flashing the headlamp. This switches between manual and auto. There is a rocker switch on the left grip which is used for changing up or down in manual mode. There is also the option of a “Sport” setting in auto which lets the engine rev higher before changes. In the event I used auto to drive through town, and then selected manual for the open road. It all seems very natural and doesn't seem to require any thought to use.

Being an auto, you can't just park the bike on a slope and hold it there by putting it in gear. So, unusually for a bike, there is also a handbrake.

In keeping with the cruiser riding position the bike has a low seat height. The forward placed foot boards were a bit of a worry, I'm not used to cruisers causing me to wave my feet around while groping for the boards. Once underway though the riding position is comfortable enough.

All bikes should have mirrors like this, the riders knuckles are visible in the top corner of the mirror but otherwise there is a large unobscured, vibration free, view of the road behind.

The instrumentation, all LCD, is modern in appearance and comprehensive.

On the outward journey there was a fairly stiff headwind. The screen does offer some protection, the wind seemed to be hitting me mid-chest, but this, along with the upright riding position, could be tiring on a journey. My hands went numb from hanging on so hard into the teeth of the wind. Apparently many Dino owners fit the higher accessory screen offered by Givi.

Perhaps I was anticipating that the suspension would be plush, but somewhat surprisingly it felt almost sporty. Certainly there were no immediately apparent handling vices. Obviously if you were to start having racer fantasies you would quickly run out of ground clearance. We were in cruise mode though, so there were no problems. The bike follows the chosen line in corners, and is very stable. No doubt a product of the long wheelbase. At the same time while not exactly flickable it doesn't seem to be at all cumbersome to turn.

A few miles into the journey I came upon a truck. Not having any idea of what sort of performance the bike had, I was just slightly apprehensive about the amount of power available to successfully pass the truck. I needn't have worried. While I certainly didn't get anywhere near warp speed, I read that owners can get over 180kph from their Dino. The bike is no Fireblade, but it can certainly keep up with the traffic.

Twin front discs with three piston calipers seems reasonably high spec braking for a cruiser. A double ration almost. All this and ABS too. Certainly the brakes are capable of inspiring confidence and arresting progress with a degree of authority.
The rear brake pedal is a large raised arrangement that wouldn't look out of place on a Harley, or a truck. It looked different enough that I didn't bother with it, seeing as I only had the bike for an hour or two. That and the fact that I was reluctant to remove my foot from the board in case I had trouble finding it again.

Recently I was at a function where a guy was wearing a T shirt emblazoned with the words, “Ducati, an island in a sea of crap.” That's one point of view, but I just like bikes – almost all bikes. I have liked all of the bikes I've ridden in recent years, even the 250 dirt bike I borrowed to putt around Hamilton for a few hours while my bike was being serviced. The mainstream manufacturers are making very few bad bikes these days. I even enjoy riding my moped, it permits a whole range of (mis)behavior that would be difficult on a bigger bike.

So although it is very different, I did enjoy the DN-01. Would I buy one? Probably not. Not yet anyway, and not at that price. You can buy some seriously good machinery for that much cash. There are indications that the price in some overseas markets may have been reduced. In an attempt to check this I went to Peter Stevens website, they do advertise at least one Honda “special”, but you have to ring Melbourne to inquire. I was interested, but not quite that interested.

So who would the Dino appeal to? It could appeal to riders who want something different, the vertically challenged should find it attractive, and riders of advanced years might appreciate the low C of G.

Who knows but that in a few years (God willing), as my dotage fast approaches, the DN-01 may even appeal to me as a serious proposition?

Thanks to Craig at Energy Honda, New Plymouth, for the ride.

paulmac
20th March 2010, 12:13
Good write up mate.