PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha R1 flip plate

spajohn
22nd March 2010, 14:56
James Bond meet's Rossi !! How awesome, and oh so dodgy, is this?!

http://www.justauto.com.au/dealer/everything2wheels/video/28f80a1a-d7de-434d-bc8f-738a91471dfe

Cayman911
22nd March 2010, 15:02
Well i know who's gonna be ordering one next:innocent:

wbks
22nd March 2010, 20:11
haha, reminds me of the bike I saw at the shop the other day - Peeled out tires like he'd just been to the track (nearest a few hours away), sticky tape marks on the number plate, a cam and a radar mount on the tank lol

SPORK
22nd March 2010, 21:28
I'd strongly consider such a system if average-speed cameras come to NZ. Fuck those things in the arse.

vifferman
23rd March 2010, 08:18
When I lived in Roundabouta (the city formerly known as 'Tauranga') in '98 - '99, there were two guys on a ride I went on that had similar devices, but they were operated by cables like choke cables, from a knob positioned discreetly by the left side of the seat. I've always thought a servo-operated one would be kewler - obviously someone else did too.

Swoop
23rd March 2010, 08:53
I'd strongly consider such a system if average-speed cameras come to NZ. Fuck those things in the arse.
Interestingly, they were mentioned on last night's news. I think it was by Judith Collins (iirc).
Whether we have the population to warrant that kind of technology?

carbonhed
23rd March 2010, 09:01
Saw a thread somewhere about a group of UK bikers who overtook a mufti bike cop who then proceeded to film their antics. I think at least one ended up in jail ( they've seriously lost their sense of humour about speed over there!!! ) and the two who had flip up number plates also got done for perverting the course of justice.... which kind of makes you think :no:

Metastable
23rd March 2010, 14:44
Just don't accidentally flip it and not know about it. :shit:

avgas
23rd March 2010, 15:26
When I lived in Roundabouta (the city formerly known as 'Tauranga') in '98 - '99, there were two guys on a ride I went on that had similar devices, but they were operated by cables like choke cables, from a knob positioned discreetly by the left side of the seat. I've always thought a servo-operated one would be kewler - obviously someone else did too.
My RG150 resided in Tauranga around then........with a piano-hinge plate........for a brief period of time.

slofox
23rd March 2010, 16:34
I'll take two please...

wbks
23rd March 2010, 16:36
Can't the cops catch you when you're the only one on a blue yamaha with X color leathers or whatever in a small rural town etc regardless if you are caught (license plate seen) in the pursuit?

SMOKEU
23rd March 2010, 21:56
I don't think it's illegal to have one of these on a bike. As long as the tag is clearly visible for at least 100m or something it should be all good.

Swoop
24th March 2010, 06:56
http://www.plateflipper.com/

T.W.R
24th March 2010, 07:02
Absolutely nothing new about plate flippers :no: just a bit more high tech these days...... a couple of springs, an old clutch cable, pin release & some hinges used to work a treat :innocent:

grusomhat
24th March 2010, 07:13
I like that the owner is apparently still on P plates.

wbks
24th March 2010, 07:39
I like that the owner is apparently still on P plates.

Can you get a thou on P plates?

grusomhat
24th March 2010, 11:49
Can you get a thou on P plates?

Yeah it looks like it. In Victoria it looks as though it's on once you get your P.
http://www.ma.org.au/Content/MA/RideProgram/Gettingalicence/Getting_a_licence.htm

R-Soul
24th March 2010, 16:40
Absolutely nothing new about plate flippers :no: just a bit more high tech these days...... a couple of springs, an old clutch cable, pin release & some hinges used to work a treat :innocent:

My cousin used to stop, reach back and just bend the plate up.

I once saw an R1 in Joburg with a number plate located deeep in the wheel well - on the back of the engine. The plate was tiny- about 4cm high by 10 cm wide, and said "CATCH ME"

kwaka_crasher
24th March 2010, 16:51
He's missed the obvious extra... a fake plate behind it so they can get a rego and call off the chase... not that I'd ever do such a thing... :shifty: :scooter:

T.W.R
24th March 2010, 18:44
My cousin used to stop, reach back and just bend the plate up.

I once saw an R1 in Joburg with a number plate located deeep in the wheel well - on the back of the engine. The plate was tiny- about 4cm high by 10 cm wide, and said "CATCH ME"

:blink: bend a number plate that is mounted at the top it'll snap off in about 5 bends.

About 20yrs ago the system was to have a 4mm steel rod fixed to the top of the plate with two springs (one either side) inside two fastners then on the plate subframe have two alloy hinges that the steel rod slid inside and the spring stems sat against. At the bottom centre of the plate a hole the pin release fitted through, attached to the pin release was a old clutch cable that when pulled drew the pin release out of the hole in the plate letting the plate flip up to horizontal. The cable was routed along the rear subframe down past the battery to just halfway down the downtube by the side panel (either side of choice). the end of the cable had a loop in it so you could hook a finger into it......pull the loop pop the pin and the plate was up :yes:
Only used on special occasions :shifty: :chase:
Was only handy around town when departing from the old black & whites......totally useless against roadblocks & the radio and buried you in the shit if you ended up having a chat to the nice people in the cars with disco lights :shutup:

rustys
24th March 2010, 19:45

They Wer'nt from Gisborne were they ?

The fine for getting caught with one of these things is, Charged as an obscure plate $50.00.

stig
24th March 2010, 22:08
pivot the plate on another axis...

disenfranchised
5th April 2010, 08:43
Now selling on TradeMe
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Other/auction-280830685.htm

Can't see it lasting given they are almost certainly illegal

kwaka_crasher
5th April 2010, 12:44

Not illegal to possess & fit as the registration plate is still securely affixed to the vehicle. Illegal to use on the road...

What?
5th April 2010, 19:28
The fine for getting caught with one of these things is, Charged as an obscure plate $50.00.

Someone around these parts got done for having (and using) one of these devices last year. Can't recall what the fine (or the charge) was, but I do recall that it cost the dude significantly more than $50.

kwaka_crasher
5th April 2010, 19:55
Someone around these parts got done for having (and using) one of these devices last year. Can't recall what the fine (or the charge) was, but I do recall that it cost the dude significantly more than $50.

Up to $1000 on summary conviction.

Transport (Vehicle and Driver Registration and Licensing) Act 1986: 5(1)(b) & (2) (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1986/0006/latest/DLM91421.html)

McWild
5th April 2010, 21:23
My RG150 resided in Tauranga around then........with a piano-hinge plate........for a brief period of time.

An RG150. That is awesome.

avgas
12th April 2010, 12:16
An RG150. That is awesome.
Yeah good times.......sadly the cops cottoned on eventually and simply "kept and ear out" and waited for me to come to them.
Ahhhhh those were the days.
I barely get to 150kph these days. I must be old

nsrpaul
12th April 2010, 20:04
:scooter:when i had (ok it was the mrs bike) an rg 150, the bike barely got to 150kph!!

unless you belived the speedo

miloking
13th April 2010, 04:50
Now selling on TradeMe
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Other/auction-280830685.htm

WTF are you on about??? Illegal? i have one from comp. werkes on my CBR and only reason why its spring loaded is so it goes up with hugger as it compresses during suspension travel (it has little roller on a bottom on where plate is mounted as seen in pic.) it has no switches or mechanism to "fold" the plate otherwise apart from metinoned susp. travel....also the seller is a retard for suggesting that this plate mount is to "hide" a plate (in this case employee of cyclespot).......you guys dont know what you are talking about.