PDA

View Full Version : No headlight = harder to see...

slofox
22nd March 2010, 17:34
Was in d'Auckland yesterday, in the cage since herself was with me...

On the way home, heading through a four way intersection controlled by a roundabout. I'm pretty slow - watching a car coming opposite direction from me and could maybe be turning right and therefore requiring me to stop. He doesn't signal a right and heads straight through - no turn. So I thinks I have a clear run. Just about to move off when a bike fangs across in front of the guy I was watching. I didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to blast across in front of the car heading through. By rights, biker should have given way to dude in roundabout. I saw the bike and stopped. But I didn't see him as soon as I would have liked. Partly because he had no headlight on. First time I have ever really seen the difference. A headlight would have made him so much more visible...I don't think he was even aware that I was about to enter the roundabout as well. He sure wasn't scanning and planning.

Given his riding habits I think he may be a relatively temporary rider anyway...

russd7
22nd March 2010, 17:54
i have had more close calls with headlight on than i did with it off, now the law requires it i ride with full beam in daytime, only dip at night for normal reasons

AllanB
22nd March 2010, 18:19
Probably running a fully synthetic oil ........................

CookMySock
22nd March 2010, 18:20
i have had more close calls with headlight on than i did with it off, now the law requires it i ride with full beam in daytime, only dip at night for normal reasonsUh oh. Now you've done it.

Steve